5.0 out of 5 stars Interference free enjoyment
I read a few reviews to check if I'd be adding anything new, and decided to make a few comments;
they do hug to the ears quite heavily which can be a bit uncomfortable for extended use, but the plus side is they do block out a fair amount of ambient noise.
Published on 1 Jan. 2011 by M. Chang

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 30 May 2010 by ziggy_fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Interference free enjoyment, 1 Jan. 2011
M. Chang "generationnexus" (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser RS 160 Over-Ear Wireless Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
The issue I had was with a previous set of Sennheiser Wireless headphones, the RS120s where I had to keep retuning them and got terrible inteference at times. I was using them to listen to music and films on an iMac with loads of mobiles, pagers GPS devices nearby so maybe I was just asking too much. After only a few days I gave up and found out about Kleer technology which these use. At a Richer Sounds they thought the model up, the RS180 had Kleer and the RS160 didn't but that isn't correct (Even the Sennheiser site doesn't list the RS160 as Kleer when you search). The box clearly said it does, as does the manual and from owning a set I can testify that is the case. With Kleer you get zero interference and it's a technology that has a wider bandwidth than Bluetooth so can actually provide CD quality sound.
The range of thse is good as I can go downstairs and still hear them fine and live in a house with thick walls. I can find the limits of the range if I go into the kitchen though. Not an issue for me, but the RS180 has a longer range if you need it.
I really bought them to listen to films late at night but love them so much I find myself listening to music through them and being able to walk around and always have sounds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser must have listened to me!!!, 27 May 2011
the Smart (uk) - See all my reviews
Some women collect shoes I collect headphones. For some years I have been on a quest to find the very best wireless headphones on a limited buget. (These were a gift!)
Things to consider befor buying. You will never get a sound from wireless headphones to compare with really good wired headphones. (Having said that, listening to mp3 files, the RS160 sound better than my elderly bose wired headphones, but movies do not.)
SOUND... Apart from saying that although I was happy with the sound of the RS130 especially the surround sound, the sound of RS160 is in a different class, much better qualiy all round. I am not going to discuss sound in detail, there are hundreds of reviews that discuss sound, in my view sound sound is so personal and depends so much on the type of music you prefer and what you are going to use them for, sound reviews are at best a guideline.
BASE STATION....RANGE.. No longer big and ugly, now small and pretty, and totally portable, no longer will you have to test the range (unless you are listening on a pc / Tv)..just put some batteries in it and take the base station and your mp3 player with you, fits nicely in your handbag or medium size pocket. If you are listening on a pc etc the range of the RS 160 is less than the RS130, although the RS160's just about reached my greenhouse 100 feet away they cut out when I moved, so if you are going to near the max of the range you will have to stand /sit still!!!
COMFORT...Sennheiser! this is where you have lost it, gone are the lovely velvet surrounds on the headphones, replaced by plastic that will not be good in the heat and will not wear as well as the velvet, and sadly although just ok, they are not as comfortable, I often kept the RS 130's on for 15 hours at a time, the RS160's are smaller and tend to press on the top of the head even when extended.
PRO'S...PORTABILITY..SOUND..(the best wireless headphones under £100 by a mile) BATTERY LIFE.. About the same as previous models all day and most of the night, RANGE..Still very good even if not quite as good as previous models. WHEN THE SOUND SOURCE STOPS..Gone is the hiss of the RS 120 and the Beep beep of RS130, now there is just silence..perfect!
CONS...MATERIAL.. used for the earpiece surround ...COMFORT... Smaller and not nearly as comfortable as previous models.
CONCLUSION.. These are great sounding headphones, with amazing portability, the comfort is what loses them a star. So I am still searching for those illusive wireless headphones on a budget, that merit Five Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 9 April 2010
Kengol (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
OK here's the story. My 92 year old mother has a 3 year old hearing aid, which is fine for talking to other people but no use for the television. She couldn't pick up women's tones or if someone spoke too quickly. We were advised initially to go for a new up-to-date hearing aid, which was valued at over 2000 pounds. This was better but still not good enough. Then another hearing aid salesman came and suggested we try headphones before we start considering splashing out loads of money on another hearing aid. Having owned a brilliant pair of Sennheiser headphones in the 70's I decided to start my investigation there. The thing that made me choose this one was the Kleer Voice. So I ordered them and to see my mother smile after she put the headphones on was worth every penny spent. She now hears EVERYTHING. If you know anyone in a similar situation then I highly recommend these headphones. The only downside is that when the receiver is plugged into the headphone socket on the TV it kills the sound for anyone else in the room. That is unless you have a dual sound TV which will work fine. As my TV, although only just over 12 months old, didn't have dual sound, I hooked up my hi-fi speakers along with an amplifier and used phono leads from the amp to the sound in sockets on the back of the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Headphones, 23 Aug. 2010
Great sound, easy set up and you recharge the headphones and sender unit from one charger. Also a neat touch, you can run the sender on it's batteries so less wires unless you need them. Comfortable to wear and a good range. The closed backs means you can use them in the same room as someone reading or listening to another source.

Note, the sender unit has a 3.5mm mini stereo jack so you will need an adaptor for 6.35mm 1/4" standard stereo sockets on most AV Amps etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 May 2010
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After that unfortunately the disappointment rolled in, because there was quite a bit of distortion with classical music (since the dynamic range is very wide) and also quite a bit with bassy dance music (eg Ministry of Sound annual 2010). Then I found out that the system doesn't work unless you are in direct viewing range of the base unit - which makes it pointless, I thought wireless headphones are for moving about the house. Otherwise, I already have a wired pair of mid priced Sony headphones with a generous 2.5 metre lead anyway. I used to have an RF wireless headphone set from Philips and the range was good with that and didn't need to have direct line of sight, but the hiss after anything more than 3 metres was maddening. I bought the digital Sennheiser RS160 to get rid of the hiss problem - which it does, but the other drawbacks including the distortion even ad medium volume, meant these went back - admittedly the distortion could be due to faulty unit, but the other unacceptable features mean I wasn't prepared to go for a like for like exchange, and it has put me off spending money on wireless hi-fi stuff for a while until technology improves and prices deflate too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and value, but make sure they suit your needs, 1 Jan. 2013
I'm really pleased with these, having finally bought a pair after a lot of online research. Most of what others have written is largely true, including the contradictory accounts, and so your opinion of these headphones will largely be shaped by your expectations before you buy them.

I wanted a pair to replace some cheap IR headphones that I had been using for some years with my TV. For usual listening on my HiFi I have a pair of Senn HD 600s, but the lead is not long enough on those and they are an open design, so they are not convenient for two people in the room wanting to listen to different things.

To allow me to listen to either the TV or the HiFi when sharing the room with others I needed:

- Closed design
- Base station I can move between TV and HiFi easily
- I also wanted a much better sound quality than the inexpensive IR set

Research suggested that the RS 160 would do the job and it does. The sound quality is not up to the HD600s running through a headphone amp, but for a wireless connection, it really is very good. I have used them for around 12 hours now and I'm finding the sound to be less forward in the mid range than out of the box, and the bass is beginning to fill out and become more musical.

The batteries supplied for the headset are Sanyo Eneloop, so they hold a charge for a good while when not being used. You can get the same for the transmitter separately, to allow you the same versatility when not using the transmitter via the mains connector.

Things to note:
- The mains unit does not charge batteries in the transmitter. It runs the transmitter on mains power only. You can leave alkaline or rechargeable batteries in the transmitter when running on mains, so you can go portable whenever you like.
- Transmitter: AA batteries, Headphones: AAA batteries.
- The mains 'cable' comes with a splitter lead to allow the charging of the headset with the rechargeables in place, whilst the transmitter is also connected. The splitter lead is quite short and you will need to be able to place the headphones quite close to the transmitter to charge them unless you are happy to disconnect the transmitter from the charging lead.
- I've not suffered the connectivity issues around my house that some have described. All down to your local environment I guess.
- I got used to the buttons on the headphones reasonably quickly, but it could be fiddly if you have a poor sense of touch in your fingertips or stiff fingers.
- There is no bag or pouch to put the headphones in when you are not using them to keep the dust off or to carry them around with some protection.
- You will need an adapter if you require to connect one end of the 3.5mm jack audio lead to a 1/4" jack socket source.

Anyway, for just under a ton, these are a winner for me. I'll post more if my experience changes significantly after some use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Heaven, 12 July 2011
I bought these headphones as a replacement for my old turtlebeach X11s which had about 2 million miles of cable. I was a bit unsure, as I am always about buying headphones, that they might not fit well due to my big head however they fit very well (they stretch out or not depending on your head size) and can have them on for long periods at a time.

As some reviews mention they are plastic however it feels thick and sturdy but flexible. the earpads are EXTREMELY soft which is great. I would also like to mention don't think you can plug the charge cable and use it, the cable is very small and unless you have a power supply close to where you are going to sit its not going to work.

Now lets talk interference, I used to get a low buzz on my old turtlebeaches so, from what I heard about wireless headphones, I was expecting something similiar especially with six sources of wireless frequencies bouncing around in my room alone however I heard NOTHING when I plugged these in which is absolutely amazing.

Sound quality is what I expected from these, the bass isn't as full as the other, newer ones (I would guess and from what i've read) but it is still there and it does sound good with bassy dance music for example and I think you get what you pay for. I use these for a range of things like films, gaming, music and these do them perfectly.

Setting up is pretty easy however for some reason my browser kept freezing when trying to open up the instruction manual from the disc so I had to find one on the internet. But just make sure you read the manual because they have some important points on there.

batteries, I haven't used them for 20+ hours straight so I don't know where the limit is but rather than find out I bought a battery charger and switch batteries around every day rather than use the charger provided.

Range: this is probably the most important thing in my review to some people and something I had tested in my first day. I can make it down my stairs and to the door of my kitchen, I can also enter every room upstairs without any problem. considering its suppose to be line of sight I was very suprised and happy. however don't expect that to be the case for you. I have thin walls which helps, you have to consider what your house is like and what you expect from these.

Overall this is the easiest 5 stars I've had to give a product. I'm so happy with it, the only problem I have now is going to be getting used to not having the cable hanging there all the time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Sept. 2010
The sound quality is relaxed and balanced, the headphones are comfortable and light and they don't hiss crackle or pop.
However, please don't think you can wander around within 20mtrs of the base station and get perfect reception: you can't.
You can get up to nearly 30mtrs 'line of sight' but inside the house realistically, they'll work really well up to about 8mtrs most of the time through a door or maybe a wall but cut out as you pass a corner, or a cupboard, or sometimes when you turn your head a fraction. It's almost impossible to predict exactly where they will or won't work and some pieces of architecture have a much greater effect than others. You find yourself doing things like going into the kitchen for a coffee and standing on one leg leaning sideways to keep reception.
They're too expensive to be used just for watching TV or lying down and the cheap IR ones will do just as well for that if you don't want to move, so I'm not really sure what market they are for.
I really thought they would work well up to 20 mtrs and that would have been perfect for me. It's probably just my misunderstanding, but I wouldn't have bought them if I'd known you can't really use them to walk around more than just the immediate vicinity so be warned.

I've come back to this review now I've had the headphones for several months to say I've finally given up on them and I'm going to replace them.
It's not just the irritating reception, I've also never got used to the on off switch. Having 3 functions, it's very difficult to tell when they are switched off and you really need to come back after a few minutes to see whether the light is flashing and made sure. Even when you really concentrate and think carefully about switching them off, you'll still come back and find them flashing away.
I've lost count of the times I've left them on charge to find they haven't charged because they are still on.
I hate the volume control too. Others said it's impossible to adjust without taking the headphones off and looking at them and I thought that was an exaggeration and I would get used to them. Well, they are right you really need to look at them to adjust them.
Another small problem that developed is the battery box door on the base station became loose over time. This doesn't sound much but then one of the batteries slips with the consequence being you take it back to wherever your charging leads are and unless you put it down extremely carefully, a battery will mis-align and give you another reason to find it's still dead when you come back to use it.
Overall if you decide to give them a try, realize that whatever you do with them you will have to think about and pay attention to. You can't just use them, walk around, put them down, pick them up etc., without having to think carefully about what you are doing and I just hate kit like that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 18 Nov. 2010
These are excellent as regards top quality realistic sound for music or tv/vocals. The mobile wireless capability is great, very much pocket size. Ideal for garden/ car/hotel/kitchen etc. The only reason I didn't rate them as five star is that they become slightjy uncomfortable after about an hour but i'll live with that for the good points.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 16 Oct. 2010
Getting on a bit and a little hard of hearing. Emailed Sennheiser with a technical problem re: RCA adapters and got an immediate response and an invitation to use a direct contact at any time. A brilliant service which convinced me I wanted to deal with this company. Purchased the headphones and am not disappointed. They bring out the spoken voice from American films with ease I can even understand Clint Eastwood - yes they're that good! Would highly recommend

Have returned to my original review since I have used this item for over 12 months now and want to add the following: these headphones are as good now as they were 12 months ago and my son in law was so impressed he bought his own set. My wife also loves to use them. I can still understand Clint Eastwood and Sylvester Stallone sounds positively eloquent -yep they're still that good!