5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all round album
Having heard much hype around this album hearing the debut single i was both excited and sceptical about this. Excited because i love the debut single and also because some of the things people were saying about the tracks were great, but sceptical because i liked the debut single on the last album but was not very impressed with most of the rest.

This however...
Published on 3 Nov 2009 by P. Mooney

3.0 out of 5 stars The firework that fizzled but never exploded.
I was really optimistic about this album given that these days BJ produce the goods every other album and this was following the incredibly dull Lost Highway.
Add to that the fact that the album is called 'The Circle' and surely they're going back to their roots to produce a real rocker, right? .....Wrong!
In fairness the album starts pretty well with '..born to...
Published on 27 Nov 2009 by Gary Woodfield

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
This album is like much of Bon Jovis work since 2000, inconsistent. Everything you expect from the present day Bon Jovi is here all present and correct. Uplifting anthems, ballads with emotional guitar solos, blue collar working class lyrics are all on offer with this release. However this also means that whilst half the record is full of memorable sing alongs, half the record is forgettable and utterly boring. In fact, this album is conveniently split right down the middle so you never have to listen to the rubbish half.

The album kicks off with We Weren't Born To Follow. In truth, there is nothing revolutionary about this song; it's your standard `never let the world beat you down' single that Bon Jovi has released several times before. Nevertheless it's a good song with a great hook and is the perfect opener. When We Were Beautiful is next and this really is a great song, simple but touching, perfectly crafted it really is one of the best songs they've written in the last ten years. The same can be said about Work For The Working Man, this see's Jon taking a darker lyrical mood that sets a scene that can be believed. Superman Tonight is next up and this is probably my favourite on the album. An exercise in light and shade, a simple but effective solo from Richie and bags of feeling make this a proper stadium ballad. They get a tiny bit heavy for Bullet, a good riff with more dark lyrics and great verses. Rounding off the good half of the record is Thorn In My Side, a no nonsense up tempo tune that hits all the right buttons.

From there on the album takes a dive. Brokenpromisedland, Live Before You Die, the exceptionally annoying Loves The Only Rule, Fast Cars, Happy Now and Learn To Love are throwaway, forgettable filler that unfortunately has been the norm for Bon Jovi since their last exceptional release, These Days. The fact that the first half of the record is of such good quality does make up for the second halves poorness. The band sound great throughout, its well produced as you'd expect and Jon sounds strong on this one.

Compared against Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day and Lost Highway this album stands up for itself. It's a continuation of the modern writing style of the band, should be viewed as such and is worth a listen, you're bound to find a handful of songs on it you'll like. Just don't expect too much from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI ARE BACK, 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Circle (MP3 Download)
Right guys and gals. This is the album we have been waiting for from the boys.

Forget Lost Highway and all that rubbish. It is clear that all that was filler while they spent those 14 years since These Days writing this masterpiece.

Also, forget the single, We Weren't Born To Follow. It's a decent song but in the end it's another It's My Life clone and certainly do not use it as an indicator of the sheer quality of the work on this record.

I've heard the leak (knowing full well that I will be buying on release day) and songs like When We Were Beautiful, Work For The Working Man, Superman Tonight, Bullet, and Love's The Only Rule will be instant classics. The rest of the tracks are also brilliant work and far better than the album tracks on the other albums released this decade.

I will highlight these songs however because When We Were Beautiful is the perfect Keep The Faith-style growing meaningful anthem; Work For The Working Man is the Slippery When Wet-style raunchy rocker for the modern day. Bullet completely took me by surprise- Richie is absolutely on fire in this song with his guitar work (and makes similar contributions throughout the album), it's grungy and the talkbox is on full display, you want to be shouting this song out with 30,000 others in a stadium.

Superman Tonight is the best, absolute best Bon Jovi ballad in a long time. And I'm talking POWER on this one, absolutely brilliant.

Love's The Only Rule is my surprise favourite song so far (hard as it is to choose a favourite). I will not spoil this one for you, but when I got to track 9 and this is what I found I remembered what I really love about this band.

On previous 2000s records Bon Jovi have shown they can still write good songs, in 2009 Bon Jovi show they can still write an absolutely kicking album that you will never want to stop listening to.

The superb songwriting is matched by excellent production. You can distinctly hear the contribution of each band member and the drums and bass in particular are very powerful and contribute to the mix being pretty much the perfect marriage of the Bon Jovi style with 2000s production.

I cannot wait to see the band tour this album (I won't be paying the O2 ticket prices though!). Seriously buy this and get Bon Jovi back to number 1 in the UK, this album more than deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
Very big fan and really love this CD. Will add more to my collection and listen to it in the car

2.0 out of 5 stars BonJovi - not what they were, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
What can I say, I used to love the band and half-wish that they called it a day after Bounce (their last good-ish album in my opinion...my fave is These Days). I just wonder if they are running out of material, I mean, when you have got the world at your finger tips, and have done for years and years, achieved what they have achieved, what else is their to write about, where is the inspiration going to come from?

He can still belt them out, and they can can still put together a good tune, just a bit flat in content.
I'm sure they have got deeper wells they can drink from (from time to time you do hear of their personal troubles, we all have them!), I wonder if they are just a bit trapped in writing the same old songs for the same old audience and don't want to break a mold that is too established.

I would kill for them to come out with something like Always, Lie to Me, Keep the Faith, and so on. I think those days are gone however, not sure if I will take a risk for another BJ album again (okay...I prob will!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars loving the great music, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
I have always been a huge fan of Bon Jovi I have most of the cd's and they are more mellow than there early stuff but as I am getting older I do love listening to the mellow side of a great voice

4.0 out of 5 stars A stong album, but not a classic, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
I had always liked Bon Jovi's headline hits and before buying this I had owned the greatest hits album "Crossroad" since it came out back in the 90's, but hadn't bought the studio albums along the way, until buying this.

This was bought around the time I booked to go to one of the "O2 Arena" shows in London in June 2010 (which was fantastic and featured a guest appearance by Bob Geldof).

I thought the album was pretty good back then but may not be memorable.
So listening to this a few years on and yes the album is a good strong one, but it isn't a must have classic.

Out of 10, the 12 songs hit an average of 7. They are all good but not many actually stand out as enduring rock classics. There certainly isn't a "Livin' On A Prayer" on the album. The most memorable track is the lead "We Weren't Born To Follow". One other track I would mention as being above the average is "Live Before You Die".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 5 Sep 2013
Sandy (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
Great songs which we all expect from Bon Jovi. I can't say anything negative about this album. There are some songs I prefer to others but none I don't like. If you like Bon Jovi you will be sure to like this album. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars brillant album, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
have nearly all their ablums and this is the second copy i have of this one, just to ensure i have a copy in my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Circle, 3 July 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
We weren't born to follow, When we were beautiful, work for the working man, Superman, Bullet Thorn in my side, Live before you die, Brokenpromiseland, Loves the only rule, Fast cars, Happy now, Learn to love

3.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
i bought this for my mam as she is a big fan of him it came very quick and is a good album 3 stars as Bon jovi is not my favorite but all in all a good gift

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Circle
The Circle by Bon Jovi (Audio CD - 2009)