4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not like the stage version/previous film
I can see why some people didn't like the fact that it doesn't focus on only one or two characters but I liked that, made it more like an insight into a performing arts school which obviously is what the film is meant to be about.

Published on 26 Sep 2010 by A. Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame, I wanna dig a river, rather than watch this again.
Now I may be a cynical man appoaching middle age, but I was also a boy that grew up loving the original series. So having a teeneage daughter who has enjoyed (obsessed) the high school musical phenomena (I certainly don't understand it) I thought I would go in open minded and give it a go.
This film is neither the old fame (gritty) nor HSM (lighter than helium) and...
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by R. harding-brooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame, I wanna dig a river, rather than watch this again., 7 Feb 2010
R. harding-brooks (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This film is neither the old fame (gritty) nor HSM (lighter than helium) and as such fails on many levels to have any real impact or identity.
The purpose of a film like this is surely to have a rites of passage type feel, something you enjoy watching the story of the individuals, the building of the characters, both sharing the journey and growing with the character you identify the most with.
Even when one of the characters came close to suicide it was hard to care that much.
The teachers are by far the stand out performances in this, which is a shame as you would expect to see "the next big thing" shining through.
The songs and dance are lack lustre and a bit generic, not catchy or memorable.
All in all the best word to describe this film is "meh"
You can watch it, it will pass time, but it will not blow you away, or leave you caring that much either way.
The highlight of the film; One of the students becoming a muppet on sesame street, one would presume she is a character actress rather than a method.

1.0 out of 5 stars They should have left the original alone., 13 Oct 2010
M. Sima (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Fame, the 80s movie was fantastic, Fame the tv series was very good.
This Fame not so much, it is slow, long and boring.
The music is average, and the dancing ... noting exceptional!
Too many characters. Too many storylines.
Not convincing. I don't believe in these characters and how they develop over the years.
Such a disappointment.
Boring!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast forwarded then ejected it., 22 Jun 2010
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Another free rental offer and glad I did not spend money. Kelsey Grammer and Megan Mulally are wasted in walk through roles. They are both great actors let down by formulaic script. Formulaic can sometimes be good but not this time. So many set pieces and stereotype characters that I started fast forwarding and then just ejected the disk because I could not care less.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 15 Dec 2009
Ms. I. Hoare (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I completely agree with the first review, I did enjoy the film, but the amount of characters just annoyed me constantly. The film focused mainly of about 5 characters, but on a whole about 10. This meant there was no chance to develop ANY of the characters storylines properley, and so nothing actually happened. I enjoyed the singing, dancing and acting, and if you like these sort of singing/dancing films then you will probably like Fame, but all throughout the movie I found myself wanting something to happen, some action or twist in the plot; there was nothing. What's more, the only minor twists in the film were so predictable, I barely even registered them.

I gave this film a 3 because I did enjoy it for the singing and dancing, and my friend loved it, but to me nothing happened, and there were way too many main characters to produce an interesting storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not like the stage version/previous film, 26 Sep 2010
A. Reynolds - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)

I enjoyed trying to link the characters to the ones on stage or in the old film however if you think it is going to be the same as the stage version or the previous film then maybe this isn't the film for you, it is about PA and the students but thats about as far as the comparisons go, storylines, characters etc are completely different.

I would have liked more songs but overall I enjoyed watching it, though it probably won't be one I would watch again.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films ever!, 16 May 2010
C. Silvester "Clare S" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the worst films I've ever seen! It's all over the place with no steady storyline and loads of characters you have no empathy with at all. The majority of it does not make sense. It's tried to be like the original with lots going on but has failed miserably. Instead it's just a confusing mess. Watching it was painful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A present., 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
My grandaughter is nine years old and music mad. Plays piano, into all kinds of music. She loved this DVD as she is also mad about dance in all shapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed watching the film again wish it was longer., 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Will watch it over and over again....... When your a film buff like me it's great to see films over and over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the origional, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I remember the original TV series of Fame. The DVD did not come any where near, with regards to the story line or poor quality casting members. Step up and street dance are miles better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and almost impossible to relate to, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This remake had a lot of potential, if only because it had some great names like Kelsey Grammar and Megan Mullally playing teachers, but my god it fell so short. The characters are all incredibly two dimensional and bland, almost all of them have the cliched unreasonable parents to the point where it's just unrealistic. There are some very good singers in the cast, but that is pretty much nullified by how forgettable the songs are... the only one I remember is the actual "Fame" theme song, and don't even get me started on what they did to that! The majority of the campy dance numbers you might expect are sacrificed in favor of mediocre hip-hop numbers (Cuz that's wat all them kids r listenin 2 nowadays!!). By the time the end of the film comes, I was left with a "is that it?" kind of feeling, but then I realised that when the storyline and characters are this thin, you can't really expect a conclusion that will feel satisfying can you?

In conclusion: this was a flop for a reason.

Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD]
Fame: Extended Dance Edition [DVD] by Kevin Tancharoen (DVD - 2010)
1.72