4.0 out of 5 stars Good N-Router
This unit was purchased to replace a DGN834PN router that was dropping connections too often after five years of steady service. The unit is in beta, lets just get that clear first. The Firmware is barely there, and there are some horrendous formatting issues on its admin screen, particularly the LAN setup page.

The bugs aside (and there are quite a few, so...
Published on 10 Feb 2010 by DP

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly didn't gear up!
Sounds like I had the same experience as quite a few others. In case anyone is still wondering, the flashing red/green power light on the modem means that the modem needs its firmware re-flashing. My guess (and it is only a guess) is a bad batch of modems have been shipped 'blank' - with no firmware at all - and pressing the reset button does absolutely nothing.
I...
Published on 26 Jun 2010 by Mr. J. Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly didn't gear up!, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Netgear DGND3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Gateway (Electronics)
I solved this problem by reconnecting my old modem (not totally dead, fortunately) and downloading the firmware from the netgear site. When you reconnect the new modem and try to open firefox (maybe explorer too) you get a message telling you the modem needs the firmware and to locate the firmware file to upload to the modem. Click on browse, locate the download file and click upload and Bob is your Mothers Brother! Don't use the set-up programme though, it doesn't help when it comes to uploading the firmware. Once the firmware was added in my case the modem came to life straight away and the set-up was nearly complete.
Thus - in steps
1. Connect your old modem (or use another computer somewhere) to visit Netgear (the American site) and click on support.
2. Put in the product details: DGND3300v2
3. Click on the downloads tab on the product sheet page.
4. Chose the second option (the non-German one) DGND3300v2 Firmware Version 2.1.00.41NA & WW
5. Chose the users outside North America option
6. Save the .img file somewhere - maybe your desktop is the best place? Of course, if you are on another computer it might be better saving onto a USB drive.
7. Reconnect the new modem and turn it on. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER/LAPTOP VIA THE SUPPLIED ETHERNET CABLE.
8. Power up the modem again, don't worry about the fact that the light is still flashing.
9. Open firefox (or perhaps Explorer but I never tried it this way) and get the message about your modem.
10. In the box on the error page browse to where you saved the .img file and click upload. The screen will change.
11. Sit back and watch your router light up like a Christmas tree! You can now run the set-up programme if you want (I didn't bother).
So - its a nice modem, good range and it proved that the aerial had gone in my old one by virtue of the fact that the laptop now works wirelessly again! However, naughty points to Netgear in abundance for shipping defective product and clearly not doing batch sampling. Its your reputation you damage Netgear and Belkin are no doubt happy to sit back and watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good N-Router, 10 Feb 2010
DP "dp" (Wokingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The bugs aside (and there are quite a few, so don't buy this if you aren't prepared to wait for a good firmware update) its not bad in its core offering of a good N-rangemax signal. Its not possible to keep the SSID hidden on N and still maintain a steady signal, but thankfully you can still use WPA2 and MAC access lists if you want control over who is allowed in.

Good features:
- guest bg and n network segments, for when you have visitors and you want them to surf out, but not on your network
- port forward and firewall rules as per 834PN router, namely configurable and flexible
- auto firmware update check, though can get annoying at every login
- you can turn off the flashing blue lights by touching the dome down for 1-2 seconds
- it has two SSIDs, one for b/g and one for n - but both share the same WPA2 key!

Bad things:
- The bg / n split via SSID is not matched by any other wireless configuration options, so they share the same backend. You cant harden the N range and keep the bg flexible
- The firmware is in beta (sorry netgear, it is!)
- Older wireless kit has trouble joining the network (and by old I mean 802.11b kit!)
- You can't hide the SSIDs without both b/g and n signals dropping out regularly - which is odd as this was fine on the 834PN

Am I satisfied with the upgrade from the old router - well yes. I knew what I wanted, a good quality N-spec router (draft of course), that has great coverage and allows as much MIMO flexibility as possible for the multitude of devices that connect to it. It has good coverage on N, has nice low power consumption, and the guest WAN feature is a great idea. And its black with lots of colourful LEDS (yellow, green and blue)

** UPDATE ** May 2010
The latest firmware is now available, and I can confirm that the router behaves like all other Netgear routers. This is now a GOOD BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Oct 2010
Recently bought, I had the latest version of the firmware already installed, so no flashing-red light problem or first generation buggy firmware.
Very quick set-up, creates two networks: B/G network on 2.4ghz and an N network on 5ghz - you can't have N on both, but you can switch 5ghz off to get N on 2.4ghz. It even came with set-up instructions for BeThere/O2 customers like me which was a nice touch, seeing as they like to have a different network setup to everyone else.
iPhones and wifi printer work on the 2.4ghz network with laptops and PCs on 5ghz... all connect together fine.

I seem to be able to get a real-world throughput of about 75mbits of real data on 5gz N which is in the ball-park of what you should expect on 300mbit WIRELESS (that's around 4.5MB/sec transferring between two PCs on the same network - around 9MB/sec total). Don't be one of these people expecting 300mbits of real throughput like it's a full-duplex wired connection, it simply doesn't work that way.

Negatives...
USB port is not powered, so a USB drive has to have it's own power - you can't just connect a USB pen drive.
Also, the USB transfer speed is quite low indeed, around 2.5MB/sec I get. I don't use it as a media server though. Have not tried connecting a printer.

I still give it 5 stars though because what I bought it for was a fast solid connection, which is what I get.

Note you can switch the lights off by holding the button down for 2 seconds and releasing. The lights go out about 2 seconds after that.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions - its got a USB port, 15 Jan 2010
Replaced a Linksys WAG160N (A rubbish product with rubbish support).

I have just got this router up and running. Its version2. Version 1 was only available stateside. The big news is that the box came with a sticker which said "Nas Ready". The US version of this router comes with a USB port. The UK site says nothing about it. The box itself has picture of the rear port arrangement and a usb port is NOT shown. Once I took the router out of it's box I could see that it indeed has a USB port for storage only on the rear. You cannot plug in a printer for sharing. This is for USB hard drives and flash drives which do not require any special drivers and are not password protected.

My drive is a WD passport 120Gig formatted as NTFS. I plugged the drive in and the USB light appeared on the LED panel at the front. The router supports NTFS, Fat32, Fat16, ext2 ext3 (it's internal OS is a Linux distro). Your drive is automatically setup for windows sharing from the root of the drive. It was browsable from other attached machines and devices including my Sonos Zoneplayer. You also add your own shares though I powered down the router and it forgot the shares that I added so that's a problem that needs sorting out in firmware. The default share was present after reboot. You can also config the name of the router as it appears on the network and the workgroup name.

You also get ftp/http/https access to the nas. If you setup a dynamic DNS address for the router it will configure external access to the nas via this address externally using the your router username/password, handy.

I have only had the router running for a day and so far so good. Its stable as far as I can tell and the nas hasn't fallen off the network which sometimes happens with other makes and models. Wireless N 5Ghz gives me 300Mbps on my 5Ghz equipped laptop and so far G connections are OK. I suspect I need to play around with channels etc to get G connections running a bit faster (3 out of 5 bars in the same room as router is not great).

The router has a dome with 8 blue LEDs in it indicating wireless activity. Very bright. Pressing the dome will switch this off.

Update: After a week of use I'm very impressed. G connections are now much better after propping the router on its side as recommended by netgear. I haven't seen any increase in line synch speed ,but, I wasn't expecting any.

The NAS is able to handle multiple accesses by different clients simultaneously with no trouble and I streamed a standard definition mp4 movie to a single wireless N client with no visible flaws in output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Sep 2010
To answer a few problems listed below.

You can't connect 2.4ghz N receivers if you leave the router set ot 5ghz for N!

If you only have 2.4 Ghz N receivers you do NOT need to buy this router anyway.

However if you have you can knock the N side of it down to 2.4ghz as well.

Suggest naming your 2 SSID as G and N so you know which one you're looking at and use WPA/2 PSK Mixed security.

The blue flashing light can be turned off by pressing the button for 2 seconds. It is annoying in dim light.

The firware updates itself if you so choose - no need to do anything just check the box that says check for firmware at log in.

The USB Share works brilliantly - even from remote PC's over the internet.

Wirless printing is a doddle provided you set your printer up properly.

Has a handy bandwidth monitor so you can get a warning when you get close to your download limits.

If you're at the end of a long noisy line far from the exchange then you may wish to use a DG834 as these are well proven to be stable on a bad line. I think this one may be more sensitive. It dropped for me a few times on the first 2 days but has now re-trained and been stable with no drops.

People you need to be patient and allow the exchange and router get used to each other 3-10 days.

A few people also need to R.T.M.

Only downside which applies to all Netgear routers is the Telnet ports are locked unless you set debug mode via the browser.

This Router is blisteringly fast on 5Ghz giving me 245Mbps across the house and bwtween floors.

5 out 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Router, Have faith in Netgear despite past firmware issues, 19 Dec 2011
I bought this router a while ago and thought I'd do the review a couple of months after setup to ensure that I am testing the reliability of the router. It seems to be a very futureproof router, with both bands of wifi working as they should, although as my house has thick walls the 2.4GHz range of the spectrum is able to get through the walls more easily. I am sure that the firmware of the router will also be updated in the near future which will further increase transfer speeds across the network - both wired and wireless. The ADSL modem feature has not faltered once and I find the internet traffic counting feature extremely useful to check up on how much of my monthly quota of download data I have used.

Advantages of this Router -
-Fast performance (802.11n & g sim), (gigabit ethernet)
-USB storage as NAS (Network Access Storage) which if configured in the admin page can be accessed at any internet connection worldwide via FTP, HTTP or even secure HTTPS.
-DNLA Media Server.
-Very configurable (for port forwarding), NAT, Firewall. [Netgear is known for its configurability]
-Very Reliable. Bought this router at a time when our ISP and BT were fooling around with our internet. Since then rock solid and faster uplink and downlink speed than previous router.

Disadvantagees of this Router-
-There have been some problems with firmware. Discussed on other reviews, but I think Netgear have sorted it out.
-The USB NAS storage transfer speed is quite poor at times, especially through the media server as I think the Router has to catalogue all the files. (Maybe because I attached a Terabyte HDD)
-Blue lights can shine rather bright and turn your house into a certain Spielberg Film.
-A little bit on the pricey side. If you really need the features then its a great buy, but I'm not sure the average user would want to buy. There are plenty of reliable routers out there.

Conclusion

A Great router geared towards bandwidth-hungry households, gamers, or large houseowners, but with many features you are paying the price for which you may not necessarily need

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear DGND3300 RangeMax DualBand Wireless-N DSL, 14 Sep 2011
This has to be one of the better routers I have come accross in my time, and beleive me I've had a few. It's easy to setup, with security features, dual band dsl, and can handle whatever line I have, It also has its own network sharing feature which comes in handy as most homes now days have more then one pc/laptop but only one wireless printer. Works even through very thick walls which is a bonus, needless to say the rangeMax is one serious piece of kit with easy to follow functionability, Impressed, Yes 5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well; just like it says on the box., 5 Sep 2011
It works as expected and I am well satisfied. I was familiar with older soho modem/routers from Netgear so I chose another Netgear product - and indeed, the user interface is very familiar and therefore productive.

I used the USB slot to give me some network attached storage and that works well with no fiddling needed to set it up.

I had a note of all the settings for my ISP but in keeping with the spirit of the times I let the unit follow its built-in discovery routine. There is good news here for the non-technical - it worked first time.

It sells at what looks like a "premium" price but you do get value if you need some extra range some network storage. The other features that support guests in your house with wifi (without messing up your private network) will be a bonus. And don't forget the VPN server component.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be reappraised since launch..., 5 May 2011
Mr. C. Barron (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Having just got one of these (v2), I was understandably weary considering the bad reviews this Router had received in the distant past.

However, as soon as I got it plumbed in, I updated the firmware and manually input all my connection settings. Voila! this is working absolutley fine, and has - to date - not had one negative issue.

All-in-all, it looks the biz, works flawlessly (for me at least), and also proffers some element of future proofing to boot.

Cracking piece of kit that I would, given the latest firmware et al, highly recommend. 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon not reading their feedback, 16 Oct 2010
I received this Router/modem quickly-no complaints. However,on power up the dreaded green/red light power button was flashing! The Kit had no Firmware. This fortunately I had read about this problem from previous customers and I was prepared with the necessary download to correct the problem. This is a good modem spoilt by the state of the Kit sent out to customers. Amazon must be aware of this so why do they continue to ship these Router/modems without the firmware ? Please investigate ,have a word with your suppliers Amazon !!