4.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky for mac
Hi!
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Adamsky

3.0 out of 5 stars An ounce of prevention...
Although Mac's have historically avoided almost all of the malware Windows users are plagued with, they're certainly not immune to future attack. It may only take one big self-replicating Mac virus to have us all running for the nearest virus-checker - and ironically that's probably what companies like Kaspersky are hoping for.

Kaspersky AV installed without...
Published on 1 Mar 2010 by techpuppy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars An ounce of prevention..., 1 Mar 2010
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Kaspersky AV installed without issue on my iMac (running 10.6.2) and after updating its definition database ran a full scan, which took less than an hour to scan 150GB of data. A Quick Scan option, which only scans certain high-risk directories, is also available. Strangely neither of these scan options is scheduled by default and you have to configure regular scans for yourself in Preferences. This may not be obvious to an inexperienced user and leaves your Mac less well protected - although live scanning of new or updated files continues in the background. When dormant the app runs a couple of background processes, twiddling its thumbs waiting for something interesting to happen, and uses about 2% or so of a single CPU - it does occupy a bigger chunk of real RAM than I'm happy with, usually well over 100MB which seems a bit steep for all it's doing.

There were a few issues with the version I received on disc - for example one of the Quick Scan directories was configured as 'Cashes' instead of 'Caches' (luckily Kaspersky don't sell spell-checkers!) which meant the app was trying to scan a non-existent folder and leaving the real one unprotected. There turned out to be a more recent version of the app to download which fixed these bugs but it did NOT auto-install during normal updating and I only found out about it later on the Kaspersky forums.

Kaspersky deserve credit for designing an anti-virus solution which looks and feels at home on the Mac - even if the idea of running a virus checker at all seems alien at first - but this version (8.0.2) does seem to be a work in progress. One day we may all be very grateful Kaspersky took the initiative, but at the moment it still feels like you're walking on the sunny side of the street carrying an umbrella.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky for mac, 21 Nov 2010
Hi!
I have been using a mac for the last few weeks so I am pretty new to the topic of mac security. As I had heard a lot about mac not being infected with any bugs, at first I considered not installing any antivirus software. However, on a second thought, I decided to do so. Now I am grateful to myself!!!. I ran the kaspersky antivirus this morning and, hey, bang, 9 TROJAN DIALERS!!! I have no idea whatsoever how they got into my system . I do not enter any dodgy sites. So here is my message. MAcs do get infected!!! Get a mac internet security!

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad to see this - but only for INTEL macs, 22 Mar 2010
Mark Loughridge (Letterkenny, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's great to see Kaspersky putting this out for Mac. Ive always been a little wary about the lack of protection I have for my Macs, so I was pleased to get this and install it.

On its first run through it found a couple of viruses among my gmail messages, but I think these were windows viruses. It would have been useful if the click through link stated whether it was a risk to the Mac. From reading the description of the Trojans it looked like they only hit Internet Explorer.

So full marks for it doing what it was meant to do - although a little more specific info would have been welcome.

One downside is that is it only for Intel macs - I hadnt noticed this at the time of ordering and since it says it covers Tiger, I assumed it covered PowerPC macs running Tiger. Alas it doesn't. Although having said that I think Kaspersky will scan the older mac across the network, which is rather good.

Pros
Easy enough to install
Seems to do its job

Cons
Doesnt run on Non Intel macs
There are a couple of things that arent quite as intuitive as you would like, and take a little poking around before they are clear.

A minor point
As noted by others there is a spelling mistake in the word 'cache'. But it is really easy to add the file path to the Cache folder yourself

4.0 out of 5 stars Piece of mind..., 13 May 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most people don't have anti-virus software for their Mac, as they believe Macs are immune to viruses. The reality is that Macs are vulnerable to almost every type of attack that PCs are; there are just less people trying to attack the Mac platform. Malware and hackers can still get into your Mac, which is where this software comes in. It will automatically scan any files coming into your PC, stopping attacks BEFORE they do any damage. It will also protect your security settings so they can't be changed without the use of a password. It integrates perfectly into the latest Mac OS and feels like part of the OS itself. It doesn't appear to slow down my system at all (except when running a full scan, or course). Most importantly it updates frequently and silently, so you don't have to worry about it being up to date.

For those who have children using their Mac this is an extra layer of protection in case they go to unsafe sites or download files from friends. For a Mac product, the price is acceptable. Overall 4 / 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and install, 10 April 2010
J. Page "J Page" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As anti virus software goes Kaspersky is definitely one to go for if you're considering installing anti virus software on your Mac. Granted there aren't as many viruses out there that affect Macs but the numbers are growing so it's prudent to get appropriate protection. The installation is very straightforward and once installed I had to download the latest virus database. Once this was done I scanned my entire system. The software runs in the background with no discernible affect on the speed of the computer. This product has a simple layout and very much "does what is says on the tin". Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Licence Key Will Activate Downloaded 2014 Internet Security For Mac, 20 Nov 2013
J Scott (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kaspersky Anti Virus for MAC 1 User 1 Year (Personal Care)
If you buy this for a fiver or so, you can download the full Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2014 from the Kaspersky website (normally around 30) and activate it with the Key provided in the box to give you a full year's licence. What a bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, 17 July 2012
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This internet security package has worked for me now since I got it some time ago. Installed ok, updates virus definitions etc without trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and unobtrusive., 25 April 2010
A. Taylor (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having never really worried about virus issues on the Mac, this was ordered on the Vine program and has, so far, proven very easy to use. Installation and set up was quick, taking only a few minutes, and the initial virus screen seemed to be very thorough, going through every historical file on the hard drive. Control over the software is via an icon that sits at the top of the screen within the menu bar, rather than the Dock, and it seems to have no hit to internet performance on a 1.67Ghz Powerbook on a 2Mb ADSL connection. Nothing picked up on the virus front since set up but Mac viruses are still, thankfully, rare. If you want an easy and, seemingly, thorough virus filter, seems well worth using.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good base level of protection., 17 April 2010
Mr. C. J. Thorpe "Lastaria" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already use Norton Antivirus so I got this to use on my Mother's computer.

Only runs on the Intel Mac and you must have the latest Leopard installed so no good for the old PowerPC Macs or Intel Macs running earlier versions of OSX.

Once installed seems to work well. there are a number of options and settings and it scans your computer which can take awhile. But this does not use up to many of your computer's resources and you can leave it to do that in the background.

In comparison to the excellent Norton Antivirus is still have a few little bugs to iron out, but is a good cheaper alternative and I would recommend this as a basic form of protection for your mac.

As a long time mac user I do remember the days when we could boast that Macs do not get attacked by virus', and many Mac users still do. But though we are still targeted far less than window users, the amount of virus' developed for Mac's is on the increase as Apple Mac computers themselves start to become more popular with the public as well as the incredible rise of the iPhone and perhaps soon iPad so I would recommend everybody get at least a basic level of protection for their mac and this programme at it's competitive rate certainly fills this niche nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat package, and very fast, 14 April 2010
Mel - London - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice to see Kaspersky launch a MAC antivirus package, even if it is unlikely to encounter any problems. Downloaded quickly and activated without any hitches at all. I like the fact you can initiate full scans and quick scans yourself, and are not tied down to scheduled scans that inevitably start up whilst you are in the middle of an important job!! The full scan took just 45 minutes, and the Quick scan just 10 minutes. As the Quick Scan covers all commonly infected areas, that is all you are likely to need on a regular basis. Much quicker than its Windows based equivalent, and it does exactly the same job. I would definitely recommend this Kaspersky AV Software, it's neat, comprehensive, quick, and doesn't tie up resources like so many others do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›