4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of blog entries
Published on 26 Jan 2007 by A Nanny Mousse

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but ...
Published on 13 Nov 2008 by SAH

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of blog entries, 26 Jan 2007
Blood, Sweat & Tea is a collection of 'Tom Reynolds' favourite posts from his blog, random acts of reality, annotated to give updates and comment on how he now feels about what he had then written. The book is funny, tragic and intriguing all at once, and certainly dispells any misconceptions you may have had about the job of paramedics and what they can really do to save people. Whether or not you had read the blog previously(I hadn't), this book will certainly keep you entertained, and possibly even inspire you to change career. A good read, whatever your medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very well written., 16 Feb 2007
Blood, sweat and tea is a printed version of parts of an online blog written by Tom Reynolds. It very easy to read and engulfs you into the sometimes bizzare world of the London Ambulance service.

His entries vary from drunks who have fallen over to tradgic cardiac arrests.

This is a fantasic read which is sometimes very funny, sometimes very sad and most of the time very cynical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood,sweat and tea, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance (Kindle Edition)
Although not a good literary work,I found this book very informative,especially the use of mobile phones to identify people.I have passed this onto whoever I've spoken to since reading about the potential use of mobiles for ID & will continue to do so.

This book has confirmed my suspicions about the inappropriate use of our ambulance service &the time wasters in our community.

I did get a bit sick of his rants & repetitions but they just show that he is human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Tom, 20 Aug 2006
What a great read, a must for dossing on the beach or even on the train to work.

Tom has hit the nail right on the head with this book.

Ambulance staff in the UK are sick and tired of being portrayed like Josh and Comfort from Casualty and Holby City.

This book tells it like it is.

The waste of time calls we have to go to.

The total abuse the public put on the 999 service.

They smoke cannabis and call 999 because they "feel funny".

They get drunk then call us for a lift home.

They call us when having babies even though they have 3 cars outside, no contractions and the hospital is 200 yards away.

We get called to tramps and the great unwashed and the caller demanding we do something.

These are the rubbish calls we get sent to while 1 mile away someone is dying and we can't go because we are tied up with rubbish.

We get verbally and physically assualted (last count it was two crews every single 24 hours in Capital City alone).

BUY THIS BOOK TODAY and see what being an ambulance person is really like.

Well done Tom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and sad, it makes you think about the job that EMTs do, 14 Jun 2007
I discovered Tom Reynolds's blog, 'Random Acts of Reality' 3 months ago after seeing references to it on the blogs of friends and friends of friends and I've been lurking there ever since. This book is a compendium of highlights from that blog - not that there's anything wrong with that in the slightest and I very much hope that it gets more people to go and read it.

There are some v. tragic stories (particularly those where children die suddenly), some v. funny stories (the one with the toxic poo did - to my shame - have me rolling on the floor in laughter) and some stories that will make you go WTF?! (particularly the nurses who fail to open access doors to hospital despite being notified and the 'carers' who don't think that caring is in their job description).

With the exception of the 7/7 attacks, none of the entries are dated and I think that would be my only complaint about it as it's difficult to get a timeline from the entries themselves unless you're a long-time reader of the blog itself. Apart from that, it's a v. interesting read and definitely worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Facinating, 14 Dec 2007
Wyvernfriend (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is what being in an ambulance is like. Everything from being called cause someone feels funny, because they've taken grass, to the heartbreaking infant deaths, this has it all. Some of it is scary stuff and his advice on Blogging and Keeping your Job is priceless, I was very moved and cried at least once (the entry Victims is heartbreaking). It covers a year in the life of Tom, the year is 2003, Tom wavers between being caught up with the family dramas and a sense of unreality about it all. There are times when I really felt sorry for him and times that I wanted to slap him and remind him that he could be that person some day. I don't blame him for his attitude, he has to keep sane somehow.

The minute I could I subscribed to the RSS feed for his blog.

I would recommend this book to anyone thinking about becoming a health worker. Even if it means just so you can understand how it is for those people on the other side of the line.

Why only 4*? The blog is 5*.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but ..., 13 Nov 2008
SAH (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
Although I enjoyed around half of the entries and found them entertaining and often very touching, this book should come with a warning.... for all NHS staff who work outside of the ambulance service! While the author acknowledges that his comments are not meant to tar all NHS employees with the same brush, and definitely the shortages of staff put pressure on all, there are several occasions where doctors, nurses and midwives are made out to be rude and uncaring and often this book descends into ranting about these professional groups. While dipping in and out of a blog the odd rant is ok, I found that in a book form these frequent angry entries got in the way of the flow of an otherwise enjoyble book.

5.0 out of 5 stars you couldn't make it up, 17 May 2007
Overlord X (Gosport, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
this book is great. I work in the same profession and can identify with everything in this.... from the mundane to the absurd to the sad. It does happen like this and it's not surprising to find every Ambulance service suffers the same issues.

Forget a government campaign, the persistant callers, the inappropriate callers and every other caller wanting an ambulance when it isn't necessary should be given a copy to maybe stir their conscience.

There could have been so much more written i'm sure. Until then ???? this will definately do

2.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Rant, 25 Aug 2014
Glad he is not my colleague. While providing a valuable insight to the NHS and a career in the ambulance service, this book is unpleasant to read. Not generally because of the subject matter , which certainly illustrates what an unpleasant lot the British public can be; but more because the writer himself is just nasty - as in 'you can poke round people's houses and feel superior' and comments about the cat. I am struggling to see humour in this rant. Glad the kindle version was free, so I can ditch it without guilt at not finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Nov 2006
This book contains selected diary entries from Tom Reynolds blog, resulting in an easy, thoughtful and insightful read. I couldnt put it down - no really - I read it whilst making a cup of tea, as I put a wash on and even whilst I brushed my teeth. It's that good. As a result I finished it in two days, and that's where the book becomes outstandingly good value - as I then added the blog to my favourites and so still get to read Tom's sound, down to earth writing.

The book drives you through several emotions - anger, sadness, hilarity, sympathy and frustration to name a few.

I have even more respect and admiration for the Ambulance Service than I already had before I read this book. Nice one, Tom.