on 15 March 2013
I unpacked it yesterday and within 3 hours the battery was fully charged and ready to go. The vacuum was very easy to put together and I vacuumed the whole of my down stairs using less than 1/3 of the available battery power - this probably took about 10 minutes. I have hard floors with mats, a rug, a small amount of carpeting and four cats. It dealt with the tumbleweeds, catnip and bits of cardboard from the scratcher no problem, and fur was picked up really well from the soft floor coverings of a variety of lengths and textures.
Having the button to change between the floor types right under your thumb means that you don't even have to think about it, you just rock the switch to or fro.
It is very easy to steer around objects and wonderfully light if you need to pick it up.
I did need to empty the dust container after a once-round but that is no hardship and as it's so easy to use I am likely to use it more often and therefore pick up less dirt each time
I love that it has a separate Li-Ion battery and charger unit as that is the bit that is likely to become faulty first - if any, and will be easy to replace. It stands up by itself and you don't have a base stand kicking aound the place.
In short I can't fault it and I am so pleased I chose this one after looking at many, many reviews
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2010
How useful can a cordless vaccuum cleaner really be? The answer is, more than you might realise. The Vax Life is very small, very light, and very easy to give the house a quick once over with. It's surprising how much the cable slows you down on a normal vaccuum, and I was able to complete a full sweep of the house in about half the time it usually takes.

However there are of course, some limitations. Chiefly the lack of suction power. Compared to, for example, a Dyson, the Vax struggles to pick up anything more than hairs and dust, and when it comes to carpet it doesn't really pick up much of anything at all. On wood floors it works a lot better, but even then is limited to tiny objects.

Also the design of the Vax locks the brushes in place, and they cannot be removed (without taking the whole thing apart by the looks of it) which makes cleaning it up time consuming and fiddly. If you have people with long hair in the house, this will quickly get annoying.

A useful but flawed product then, and one I would recommend primarily for people with lots of wood flooring, short hair, and a desire to clean often.
0Comment76 of 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2009
I hate vacuuming, especially on the stairs with a big upright vacuum that I have to lug up and down and the cable only reaches halfway up then I have to swap to a plug at the top of the stairs. I also hate small drag along behind you vacuum cleaners that although light you have to keep pulling along behind you -" well come along then" and have to keep bending down to "deal with".
So this vacuum is the best of both worlds. It is lightweight and easy to manoeuvre especially up and down the stairs although there are no tools so vacuuming the front of the stairs isn't really possible. It has good reach to the edges too. It is easy to switch between hard floors and carpet via a scroll button and I don't have to bend down or stop when I need to transition between surfaces making the whole process faster.
It is easy to assemble - 3 parts and one screw, there is no cable to worry about as it is cordless and I the battery charges quickly.
I can't say I like vacuuming but its certainly more pleasant with the Vax.
0Comment43 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love the Vax Cordless Upright (U91-LF Series) but when I first received it - that was not the case. The problem being, it is advertised with "full size cleaning performance", which is a little misleading. Please allow me to explain. After putting the three parts together and charging up the battery (both quick and easy) I took it for a spin. It felt oddly light compared to my current, standard sized (heavy) vacuum cleaner. Of course, that is the idea, but somehow in the back of my mind it felt like it couldn't be picking up the dirt as well.

I think it is rather expensive for what it is, but because this is a review product, I did my job and stuck it out, whereas I may have sent it back had it been otherwise. I'm glad I didn't because once I got used to it being different I completely changed my mind how I felt about it. I even discovered a new love for a job I usually hate so much.

It's powerful, but not overly so, which means for me it will never replace a full sized vacuum cleaner. However, once I get it into my head that this is really a glorified hand held, which holds about the same amount of fluff and dirt as a hand held, - not an awful lot, I began to see the benefits; It's more compact, and because of its lightness, less bothersome to get out to use, therefore I hoover much more often. I have two dogs (read lots of dog hairs) and it picks this up and other gritty bits with no bother. It has two settings so will work on the both the hard surface of my kitchen floor, and my carpets. It fits in smaller areas, under tables and chairs, and in my minuscule downstairs toilet, whereas my large upright doesn't.

The dirt container has a quick release button, a separator and filter. Like I said it may not hold as much, and I did have to get my fingers in the fluff to empty it completely, but I love the plug in and go aspect of it. I have the battery charger permanlety out, so I can quickly recharge the battery so the vacuum is always ready.

The vacuum itself, also has an LED indicator, when full or the remaining energy capacity is more than 75% is shows 3 LEDs lit. The LEDs reduce as the power winds down, two, one and finally one blinking means it's less than 25% charged - so it's easy to tell when it needs a quick recharge.

For me, and what I need this for, this product gets five stars from me, despite having to empty it out after each FULL use, because it does what all other hand held's do, but with the additional bonus of not having to bend down to use it. It's cordless, upright and has fade free power and a six (yes, 6) year guarantee. If the price doesn't scare you and like me, you like your gadgets, then I'm sure you'll love this, too. Also, I have to mention that when friends and family come round, it's handy to have it on display since everyone wants to have a go, and if it's fully charged all the time, ready and waiting, you can get your floor hoovered for free! I do!
0Comment25 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2015
This is quite a good machine. It doesn't appear to have the suction that a corded vacuum cleaner has. However, the convenience of being able to just get it from the cupboard and zoom around in a very short time far outweighs that little problem as far as I am concerned. I'm very pleased with the quality of the item; robust and not at all flimsy although lightweight.
on 25 August 2015
Bought this at very good price, £119, a few days ago and I'm delighted! It was simple to put together, only one screw. I charged it for two hours and then spun round testing it on every surface. My large living room has a wooden floor and several rugs of varying thicknesses. It glided easily over them all and it was simple to change the settings while still vacuuming. It's extremely light so easy to carry up stairs and looks quite stylish so I don't feel the need to hide it in a cupboard. I run a bed and breakfast and Its perfect for a quick whiz round between guests. It ran for over 13 minutes which is ok for a tidy up but it is definitely not suitable as the only vacuum for a house unless you live in a Wendy house. Not too good at getting right into the edges either or for stairs. Dust bag came out very easily too. My mother has a Gtech and I found the Vax easier to manoeuvre. Well worth the money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When the box came, it was hard to believe that it contained the vacuum. It comes in 3 pieces which fit together nicely, and 1 screw holds the handle to the main unit. It took all of 3 minutes to assemble. The main dirt compartment was a little stuck together and had to be prized open, but this was due to being new. After that, it opened with the press of a button. The instructions recommend that you charge the battery for 3 hours for the initial use. This means inserting the battery (which looks like a portable hard drive) into the charger and switching on. Simples. When the battery is fully charged, it slowly pulsates the blue charge light. Keep it charging for the 3 hours. After that, insert the battery into the unit.

First the negatives.
There are no tools. This means that it cannot be used to vacuum the car, or the stairs or skirting boards etc. You will need another unit for that so don't throw your old vacuum away.
The dirt container is small. It does not take that long to fill up and you will be constantly emptying it.
The battery lasts about 30-40 minutes on a full charge. If you have a lot to do, then the charge will not last and you will need to recharge the battery mid-vacuuming.

Next the reasons for forgiving the negatives.
Its so light its unbelievable. You can easily move the unit around and using it is effortless. A joy to use )if you can have joy from using a vacuum cleaner).
The suction is powerful. The amount of suction will remove all dirt particle and any per hairs. We have 2 cats, a short haired and a long haired. Sometimes after grooming themselves, we are left with a collection of hairs. This vacuum easily got them up on the laminate flooring and the carpets in one sweep.
The dirt container is easy to empty. Just take the container from the main body, hold it over the bin and press the lever. The base opens up and the dirt falls in the bin. If any hairs are wrapped around the middl;e spindle, just unlatch it and take the debris out by hand.
The controls are easy. All you have is a roller switch. Roll it to setting one for hard surfaces such as laminate flooring, and roll it again to setting 2 for carpets.
The battery is lithium ion. There is no loss of suction as the battery level drops, it just keeps going until the final drain is used.
The battery meter is easily readable. You have a light setting on the front that shows the charge in the battery. You can quickly see the charge left in the battery at any time.
No leads. No unplugging and plugging in mains lead to clean round the house, it is so portable. No leads and wires to keep moving.

As you can see, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and because of this and the fact that it is a fantastic vacuum it deserves the 5 stars. If only it had attachments I could retire our old vacuum cleaner. Well done VAX for developing a fantastic device.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2014
my battery stop charging after 3-4 uses. I bought another battery assuming that I"ve screwed it up. apparently not, the charger itself does not work!!! can't find where to but the charger (and why should i splash again after such a short time!!) SUPER ANNOYING
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2013
Although I love the idea of this vacuum cleaner after just 22 days the charger and battery refused to work, fortunately I had registered it with Vax and they are now sending me a replacement battery and charger, I do hope this was an unfortunate blip, as in full working order it is so useful.

It is now 2 weeks on and still no replacement, I have been assured a replacement is on the way, soon I hope. Watch this space.

Finally VAX came up good, after waiting 3 weeks and 5 days I recieved a brand new
vax vacuum cleaner with all parts working. In working order this is an exceptional tool, and I wouldn't like to be without it.

Sadly I have to say the same problem has happened with the replacement, again VAX have promised a replacement charger, last chance,
on 5 October 2014
One of the best gadgets I've ever bought. It's great on pet hair (even better than our plug in Dyson) and to top it all my husband uses it regularly without being asked! If you have pets and need to vacuum regularly it's ideal.