5.0 out of 5 stars Wanda meets the Puppy
Yes it's on Region 1, but if you can convert your DVD player or have multi-regional - THEN BUY THIS FILM.

It's humour is more British than American (it being a canadian film). It was shot on a tiny budget and you might not know the actors but this film is an GEM.

Published on 12 Feb. 2008 by S. L. Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 4 stars! :)
Published on 20 Mar. 2010 by shpadoinkle

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanda meets the Puppy, 12 Feb. 2008

Think John Cleese, think Fish Called Wanda and you are pretty close to understanding this quirky comedy that is a family fun film about murder.

The acting is superb, the comic timing is prefection, the script is tight and not a word wasted and the directing is astonishingly good coming from a first time director.

Take a chance on this movie, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dog's breakfast in name only..., 5 Jan. 2008
Admittedly, this film will probably be appreciated most by stargate fans. However, it's a funny film regardless. It's not side-splitting, but it hits the right note throughout, and is consistently funny. The rest of the cast are quite brilliant too and they all have great chemistry. The humour is very slapstick, with a nice dark side to it.

Hewlett outdoes himself. It would have been easy for him to create a character just like the one he plays on stargate, but instead manages to create a character that manages to be weird, creepy, yet endearing. His hysterical screaming is very amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest films you'll see, 22 Nov. 2007
I recently watched this film via a friend of mine who bought the Region 1 DVD. I really enjoyed it! I just couldn't stop laughing. It's a shame that we have to wait so long for the Region 2 release, but it's worth it. I thoroughly recommend that you watch this film. With David Hewlett's quirky personality fully involved throughout, there isn't a dull moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a "big" movie but worth seeing just the same., 28 Sept. 2009
There's been a lot of interest in this movie from fans of the Stargate franchise because of the main cast of A Dog's Breakfast being regulars from Stargate SG1 and/or the Atlantis spin-off. It has a superior script and a cast who prove beyond doubt they are very talented people. A totally professional effort from all involved. This is a clever and amusing study of manic cunning and deviousness in human nature. True black comedy. It does, however, look like what it is, a small, independent film made on a shoestring. MGM may have agreed a deal regarding distribution, but the level of funding is obvious in every frame.

David Hewlett writes, directs and acts and doesn't disappoint with any of them. Kate his sister, Paul McGillion, Christopher Judge and Rachel Luttrell are all a real pleasure to watch. OK, if I have to grumble, I do think Rachel Luttrell has too few scenes in which to shine; she has great screen presence and an appealing singing voice, either of which could have been exploited to the benefit of the movie, What else can I say? I'm a fan.

It's always enlightening to see a cast known in the past for doing something entirely different. On the strength of this project I'll certainly be interested in anything else David Hewlett decides to do.

This is great fun and considering what I paid for it, a bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 4 stars! :), 20 Mar. 2010
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Ok, I love Stargate Atlantis, and especially David Hewlett (who writes/directs/acts in this film). I REEELY wanted to give this film 5*. I did like it - it was different and original, the acting is great (all SGA peeps - joy!) and it made me giggle. And any film with a cool mutt like Mars as a main character, is obviously pretty awesome in my book. But, I found it did sometimes drag a little bit. It was meant to be a slow-paced, old-fashioned film - I get that. But occasionally I felt it was a little bit padded-out. Maybe I have a short attention span, as other reviewers don't seem to mind this.

It was pretty great for David Hewlett's first film though - I'm really looking forward to his next one (if he makes one). Always a fan of the Hewlett. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 13 July 2009
Amazon Customer (Bangor, Gwynedd UK) - See all my reviews
Funny, well written, produced and the acting is first rate. You might recognize some ideas and gags from The Trouble with Harry and The Pink Panther. Hard to believe this movie was made for less than $100,000.

Watch this Movie!

This is a Region 1 DVD. If you live outside the US and Canada, you will need a Region 1 DVD player to watch this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ] (DVD)
I've waited a long time to own this film....and I finally got it! WOWOWOW! It's amazingly funny!
The only bad side is that the dvd case writing is in German! LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ] (DVD)
Having finished all stargate seasons and loving the role by David Hewlett I thought I'd give this a go. I'm so glad I did. It was a really funny film.

It's obviously a low budget film but that just adds to the fun.

Paul McGillion and Kate Hewlett are both great in this film too.

Death monkey!!!! <= cried with laughter at that. Watch and you'll understand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs breakfast, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ] (DVD)
A little bit quirky but fun to see your favourite actors from Stargate Atlantis and SG1 in different circumstances and as other characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Comedy, David Hewlett is a genius :), 9 Mar. 2012
MixtLupus (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ] (DVD)
One of the funniest and cleverest comedy films I have ever seen, David Hewlett is a genius :)
It was great to see many of the Stargate cast and David's sister, I haven't laughed so hard for as long as I remember.

Don't worry about the foreign box, the film is still in English :)

A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ]
A Dog's Breakfast [ 2007 ] by Christopher Judge (DVD)