5.0 out of 5 stars Ahh yes, the daddy of all ankle weights!
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Shelton

1.0 out of 5 stars Awfully Bulky
My previous leg weights werent adjustable and were 4kg, they were the ones that had equal sand across your legs, I used them for everything exercise related and have done for almost 2 years now, never had a single issue.

Published on 1 Oct 2011 by Doppelganger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahh yes, the daddy of all ankle weights!, 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ankle Fitness Weights Approx 10kg - ADJUSTABLE -PAIR (Misc.)
I ordered these as I wanted some serious weight added to my 60 minute walk that I have recently started in order to get fitter and lose weight and so far I have not been disappointed. These weights are adjustable so you can build up to the higher weights. I have just started off with the lowest weight and I will be building up as the exercise gets easier. They are of good sturdy quality and the straps used to fix the weights to my ankles are good also. I recommend these if you are used to using weights if you want a more intense walking experience although I'm sure they would also be good for other types of exercise where extra weight is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for martial art workouts and people looking for a quality product, 16 April 2010
DavidTheSlayer (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
A lot of people don't know which kind of ankle weights to buy when looking online and neither did I till I brought these. I do Jeet Kune Do and wanted to strengthen my legs. These are awesome.

Points I'd like to say...

1a) Weights are not iron, its a type of powder that's very solid in form, not sure what material it is, it's not sand.
1b) Weights have a particular but not a strong scent so don't keep em in your room.

2) Yes they are heavy but they are adjustable. Suitable for both beginner and advanced because they are made to last unlike those cheaper weights you see for £10.

2b) No instructions, they are self-explanatory but this leads to my third point...

3) To put these round your legs takes a little figuring out, place on your legs so the opening for the weights is on top and thread the velcro strap through the D-rings first, pull them tight a little bit so they form round your legs and tuck one side under the other after slightly, then you then pull the strap one at a time around the weight and as tight as possible over the velcro it attaches too. The tighter the better. There will be some slipping depending on how thick your ankles are, but they won't come off!

4) I'd recommend a weighted vest for running rather than ankle weights because of the forces on your knees and ankles already (body weight x 2).

5) Excellent to throw kicks with! Yes you can't hurt yourself with these unless your being dumb by putting large forces into your kicks, or jumping very hard. Slight jumping is only advisable with a little weight or using dumbbells instead in my view.

6) As previous customer has said, they're slightly bulky but what do you expect for quality weights, they fit with footwork drills for martial arts nicely (may need re-tightening up every 20 mins or so).

My final comment...You shouldn't be shy walking down the street with these. Would Bruce Lee? I doubt it. Am I? I don't give a crap what people think, I'm training for my own benefits, so why should I care if I get taken the mickey out of by walking down the street or practising my kicks with these, if they get attacked by someone that wants to hurt them, they'd wish they'd training up like I am. Never stop training just because someone might say something about you wearing weights down the street, office etc!

Women don't need to cover them up because you'll look even more silly then before. No such thing and no need to have a fashionable ankle weight. If you have to cover them up don't buy these and get some cheaper rubbish elsewhere on this site.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awfully Bulky, 1 Oct 2011

Last week one of them got a hole and leaked quite a bit of sand, so I decided to buy these ones, they arrived yesterday and boy oh boy, they have been nothing but bad, I would not recommend these to ANYONE for the following reasons

1. They are way to bulky and get in the way of each other, this isnt so much a major issue though and could have lived with this.

2. Although they are 5kg each the sandbags are NOT even, either in size or weight, resulting in a lot of messing around

3. It takes forever to insert the weights, you practically have to wrestle with the thing

4. The biggest issue which by default makes them unsafe is they are soo rough that they WILL irritate your ankles and graze the skin, I wore 3 pairs of socks AND attached ankle protectors and these things managed to cut me making it hard to even use anything on my feet.

5. Even with 4 weights these things despite being big were still loose, which made everything from bad to worse.

6. Finally one of the straps snapped off mid way during cardio which resulted in me tripping on it and almost injuring myself, luckily the machine switched off by the safety belt being pulled.

Out of all the exercise related things I have bought over the past 5 years this by far has to be the worst, I would not recommend these to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Heavy, 8 Oct 2010
Andrew Powell "AP" (UK) - See all my reviews
I was surprised at how heavy these were, each one weights 5 kg at the maximum and you can take each kg out individually. I mainly use them for leg raises to work on the abs, and find 2kg is ample for the moment. I have been doing loads of ab work the past 2 years and was amazed at how much harder it is with just 2kg. The weights are just bags that seem to be filled with sand.

In all a good buy sturdy and have good strong velcro straps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for it's purpose, bit awkard when used w 10kg, 27 Feb 2011
Judit Kuli (Dublin, Co. Dublin, IE) - See all my reviews
These ankle weights are very good, however I can only use it indoors for leg lifts, bicycle crunches, kicks etc. I'm only 5'4 and around 120 lbs (female). I've been using it mostly as 6kg (3 weight each leg). It takes up half of my shin and because of my calves I need to secure it under my knees so it doesn't twist around my ankles. this part is a tiny bit annoying but nobody sees so who cares?! I can't imagine going outdoors with it, because of its size, I'm sure it's durable enough though! Recommend it to everybody, makes a huge difference and fast results are inevitable of course if you strap it on every other day and not just look at it. ; ) Procrastinators: Suck it up and just do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to do, 22 Aug 2012
Have these two weeks and think they're great. There was a smell but after a couple of days it was gone, just left them sitting in an airy room, wouldn't considered this a deal breaker.

Been wearing 5kg 100% of the time except when sleeping for close to a year. But these 10kg are a little too big to go under most clothes, but fine for training and anything baggy.

Also the 5kg take about 5 seconds to put on, these take about 30 seconds each and because of extra weight require a bit of practice to put on in a comfortable position... i.e. wearing, not the act of putting them on :/

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for some things, 15 May 2010
Well I do martial arts and thought I'd get myself some of these things...and they really are heavy! They are also very bulky so they won't fit under trousers properly. I wouldnt really recommend these for running with, but they are fine for what I end up using them for i.e. strengthening the muscles required to kick with. They are adjustable, but even when you take out half the weights (some kind of powdery material sealed in bags), they still won't fit under trousers properly or be entirely comfortable. Also someone mentioned the smell...I can't trump their description of the smell "Strong, but not unpleasant". Maybe best left outside your bedroom.

Overall I would only really recommend this to martial arts practioners who want to build up muscles for kicking!

5.0 out of 5 stars useful for calisthenics or martial arts training, 18 Jan 2012
hey.

Im pleased with these leg weights. they are good for calisthenics, its easy to do dips an pull ups etc.. even if you can do a body weight muscle up, 10kg will be too much start so you can incrementally adjust the weight to suit your level when trying the more advanced techniques. through the transition between pull an dip the weight is a lot to handle. so great stuff.

As for martial arts they are most useful for practicing kicking form and drills, eg. for TKD JKD muay thai.

they are definitely not for running. don't wear them for prolonged periods to start. they aren't the most comfortable
thing to wear, but what can you expect, training's not a pleasure cruise.

over all the excellent for what they are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy but still great!, 17 Feb 2011
They are just what i needed! All the other ones i've bought were quite light for me.
If you are looking to get toned go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars huge but good, 31 Oct 2010
Mr. P. Dimmock (uk) - See all my reviews
I expected them to be large but they are good. The velcro straps could be thicker but will have to see how they go. There is a smell but only if you sniff close up. Took one of the five kgs out which allows you to strap them up tight but it actually feels better a bit loose. Not for jogging as are heavy and huge and will rub like crazy. No padding on them. I do wing chun so I use these to do core work, kicking and stepping forward and back. Good traning aid but too big to wear all day. Thinkin about getting some 1 or 2 kg small weights to wear under trousers or jeans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›