4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one for the fans
Published on 16 May 2008 by FCS

3.0 out of 5 stars I still enjoyed this
Published on 28 Jun. 2008 by P Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars I still enjoyed this, 28 Jun. 2008
Yes, I enjoyed this instalment in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I adore the small town atmosphere combined with a parallel realistic supernatural world. However, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I feel I should have done. I don't want to give anything away (I get a wee bit frustrated by spoilers and when I'm scrolling down reviews it can be hard for my eye not to catch something) - I'll just say that to me Sookie seems to be getting more selfish: the Quinn section of the story seems half baked and self absorbed (on Sookie's part) and seeing as things happen that allow Sookie to be given 'favours' by the powerful then if she'd wanted she could have helped Quinn and others. Even Sookie admits her reaction to her long lost relative comes over as whiny.

The Eric development was something I'd really been looking forward to and felt more could have been made of that. Though I'm glad it happened (yes, I'm talking in riddles!).

What I did enjoy was the way lots of loose ends were tied up (especially Sookie's ancestry) and interesting scenarios have been set up for the future with two particularly intriguing new characters (a king and a fairy - you'll discover who they are when you read the book!). However, it felt very much an 'inbetween book' - so I hope the next will have a stronger plot.

Of course, if you're reading this series then you HAVE to read this volume. If you're new to the series then you really won't get enough out of it and should start at the beginning with 'Dead Until Dark' (you're so lucky - you'll have eight books to read!). Very much looking forward to True Blood on TV (the new Southern vampire Sookie TV series)- hope we don't have to wait too long for it in the UK.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - Too much happening, 6 Aug. 2008
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First Sentence: If this was "The Lord of the Rings" and I had a smart British voice like Cate Blanchett, I could tell you the background of the events of that fall in a really suspenseful way.

Bartender and telepath Sookie Stackhouse is both angry and missing her waretiger boyfriend, Quinn, who went missing after the explosion at the vampire summit. The two leaders of the wares have issues of their own as their women are being targeted and killed.

With New Orleans and southern Louisiana still trying to recover from Katrina, there are serious changes in the vampire community as well. Sookie's life takes an unexpected turn when she meets her great-grandfather, Niall.

There was a lot happening in this book; in some ways, almost too much. There are times when the story gets a bit slow; there is no central focus to the story and no particular mystery. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book.

If anything, this seems to be a transitional book. Characters from the past books were included and addressed, which I liked. There were some tense moments, some touching moments and some light moments, particularly with Bob the cat.

The ending was excellent and, hopefully, a segue to the next book. I just hate to have to wait another year to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one for the fans, 16 May 2008
The 7th book in the series feels a little like its in a 'holding pattern' - which is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, I did. Compared to previous books there is very little action and certainly there is no real 'mystery' aspect to it, but after the events of book 6 this one returns to familiar characters and territory in Bon Temps. The book's real interest to fans is that it does move the characters along and there is some very interesting Sookie/Eric interaction (not least being the fact that he recovers his memories regarding the events in book 4). We also get to find out more about Sookie's family; both her fairy heritage and her cousin Headley. There is some blantant pandering to fans, and although I wasn't Quinn's biggest fan, it does seem a shame that he's dumped out of Sookie's life quite so quickly. Not likely to get you hooked if you haven't read the rest of the series, but satisfying 'story' development for followers.

2.0 out of 5 stars NO SPOILERS - Was this just a filler?, 31 May 2009
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm not going to put any storyline spoilers in my review, as most people have done on this page!

I must say I was disappointed with this book. I am a massive Sookie fan and have loved the other volumes in this series, however I feel I must make a point that writers should not rely on loyal fans to buy a book even though not much effort has been put in.

Now if you are a fan of the series you will want this book anyway; you can hardly miss this out, can you? Just don't get too excited. This book doesn't really have any particular storyline, it is more a case of several sub-plots to take the story along to the next book. This may sound cynical, but I felt like Harris had knocked out a quick edition to keep up with her publishing contract, and had possibly used several stories she'd tried to make a book out of previously which hadn't had enough milage in them. I think the fact she seems to have so many series and anthologies on the go at the moment is detremental to what goes on in the Southern Vampire books (my favourite!). The preview chapter at the end for the next book deepened my annoyance as there is clearly going to be something big happening in that one; it seems like she saved that story to stretch thigs out a bit.

And one more gripe - is it me or has Sookie gone from fun 26 year old to middle-aged milkmaid as the series progresses? Her internal dialogue is getting so moralistic and old fashioned that I practically groan every time she feels judges herself for every bit of trouble she's ever encountered.

So go ahead and read this book if you are a fan, but please don't get your hopes up and you might then find it more enjoyable. I was expecting fantastic but was deeply disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last few installments, 27 Dec. 2009
Reading this book (book 8 in the series, not 7 as some reviewers have stated) was something of a relief. I have read the first 8 books but haven't really enjoyed books 5-7 as much as the first few. I felt everything was getting a bit silly and I was starting not to care about a lot of the characters. I was getting annoyed that the most appealing parts of Sookie's character were being ditched and that what made her so beloved by readers was being lost.

This installment in Sookie's story held my attention much better. There is plenty of action and I cared about the outcome of it all. My only complaint is the huge number of characters. Several people who are minor players in the story are introduced at great length. Whereas other beloved Bon Temps characters are totally sidelined (Jason has a sub-plot but barely actually features in the text, similarly Hoyt, Tara and Arlene). I would rather that they were put into the stories properly instead of having all these new minor characters introduced all the time. I sometimes had to check back to remind myself who everyone was.

Harris is also particularly fond of describing what everyone is wearing at any given interval. I wouldn't mind if this was meant to give some insight into their character, but it is a flat out description and often lacking in any sort of detail, so I am not sure why she bothers. It also causes me some distraction because most of the outfits (particularly the women's) are so hideous that I have to try and put them out of my mind when imagining the people as I read!

Despite my complaining, I am looking forward to reading the next book- I daren't say why because I don't want to spoil anything for those who have not read this one. If you have read the other 7 books, then I would say definitely pick this one up too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 22 May 2008
I read this book in one sitting and enjoyed it. Charlaine Harris is a talented and entertaining writer and her characters are great fun. For new readers this is probably not the best place to start the Sookie Stackhouse series, but current fans will find it an enjoyable read.

Plot wise, there doesn't seem to be one over arching plot, but it does tie off a lot of loose ends from previous books very satisfyingly and set up the possibilities of some interesting future storylines. Without giving away too much; Sookie ends up involved in were politics, vampire power struggles, her brothers messed up private life, the Pelts ongoing grievance against her, minor side skirmishes with the Fellowship of the Sun, more witchery, more of Hadleys business, a wedding, Bill, Quinn (and his family), Eric, Sam... Actually you could probably think of almost any character that's appeared in the series so far and they've made it into the book. In many ways it's almost a series of short stories rolled into one book, but I still enjoyed it.

I didn't give this book five stars because much as I enjoyed it I wish there had been more of a definite overall plot instead of the several mini stories within a story...

5.0 out of 5 stars A coming of age for Sookie!, 11 Oct. 2009
Tats (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This book is a little different from its predecessors. It develops a lot of the threads and characters initiated in previous books with relation to Sookie, and as each thread unravels Sookie is seen to develop a new maturity and a lessening of her rather intriguing naivety. It seems to be setting a new platform from which Sookie will have to deal with even more traumatic experiences than those that have gone before. Interesting, and for me: an absolute Charlaine Harris fan, necessary and worthwhile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super duper - can't wait for the next one!, 17 Jun. 2010
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Book eight in The Southern Vampire Mysteries and the action is showing no sign of letting up. This book begins with the settling of dust (some of it vampire) from the events at the vampire summit in the city of Rhodes. Naturally, Sookie got out alive, but some of her friends weren't so lucky. To make things worse, her were-tiger boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

Sookie does her best to get back to normal, going back to work at Merlotte's, and so on. She's still dealing with betrayal and grief, and just to make things worse, it looks like she's going to be betrayed again, by someone she never thought would let her down in such a way.

Soon, though, Sookie is drawn back into supernatural life. As Friend to the Pack of the werewolves, and blood-bonded to Eric, Sookie can't seem to get away from the supes. Plus, to confuse matters further, Sookie finds out some things about her past that send her reeling, but also help to make sense of a few things. How she deals with the knowledge is another matter, but one thing's for sure... Sookie's life isn't going to quieten down any time soon.

This was another stand out book for me. Although there's such a lot going on, the narrative remains consistently strong. None of the important characters are glossed over, so it's easy to remember who's who. Also, the book ends on a cliffhanger which opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I can't wait to find out what happens next...

2.0 out of 5 stars Addicitive but rubbish., 20 Sept. 2010
J. Rainbow (Wales, uk) - See all my reviews
This is only the second book I've read in this series. I watched the series, never heard of the books until then. They were at first addictive and I had to read until the end but most of the time they've just annoyed me.
These are the reasons why:
- The author makes a lot of grammatical errors. There are commars all over the place and in places where they don't need to be.
- - The ending is drawn out.
- The book rambles on and on. She goes to work, she goes home, she goes shopping. Nothing ever happens and when something does it happens quicker than when she is rambling.
- Sookie spends a lot of time thinking. You can tell when something is going to happen because she'll have a huge thinking moment, then everything changes.
- Things happened that seemed important but then later on they are completely disregarded.

The only good thing about this book is that it is hard to put down. It's not a horror story, so don't expect that. It's more about a women who ahs got involved with supernatural creatures and has a lot of men after her. I don't really understand what is going on, the book just goes on and on. What's the point again?
I've been a vampire fan for years and I'm not impressed. I was at first but not now.
If you're a big reader this book isn't for you, after reading James Herbert and other great writers this is just rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Good to Great, 19 Jun. 2008
Lisa Hamilton (Perth, WA Australia) - See all my reviews
A lot of the reviews that I have read for "From Dead to Worse" have not be outstanding, favourable but not outstanding. I have to disagree. I found the book to be highly entertaining and read the book in one sitting - which is quite typical for a book from Charlaine Harris.

Sookie is back home in Bon Temps and the book starts out with the double wedding for the Bellefleur siblings with Sookie standing in as a bridesmaid. Attending the wedding is a otherwordly stranger who becomes part of the main story. Shortly thereafter Sookie's life is threatened (again). We learn that Sookie has family other than Jason, who in the book is a cad with Crystal not much better. Amelia is still living with Sookie when her mentor Octavia Fant tracks her down for the 'Mistake' done to Bob (who by the way has become the proud papa to a litter of kittens). Charlaine also introduces Amelia's father Copley - call me Cope - Copeland. We also learn how Sookie came by her telepathy. Sookie and Eric actually have a real conversation and I feel that their relationship is progressing.

****SPOILER**** Quinn is written out of Sookies life which is a shame as he was not in it for very long. It would be nice if Sookie found her one and only in the following books.

This book ties up a lot of lose ends and answers a lot of questions that you may have in regard to the series. I am eagerly awaiting the next book to begin the next chapter in Sookies life.

This is not a stand alone book you must read the preceding books in the series.