Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 March 2014
Couple of good tracks which is why I bought it., but most of them I wouldn't even upload to iTunes, even after 2 plays. Maybe I'll revisit it again in a couple of years. Unlikely though.
on 27 May 2010
If you like to dance you'll enjoy it a lot, and if you don't like to dance you'll love it too. Trust me.
VINE VOICEon 2 February 2010
I dubbed Lindstroms three track 55 minute 2008 album Where You Go I Go Too as Jean Michel Jarre with the funk gene .Others dubbed it space -disco but whatever moniker you wanted to place around it's sinuously gyrating neck it is a wonderful album and I was compelled to listen to more by this mercurial artist. So on hearing he was doing a collaboration with a female singer I thought that sounds not so much up my street as whizzing down the multi-lane highway of listening possibilities. Strap me in and floor the accelerator .
On Real Life Is No Cool, Lindstrøm reconnects with said collaborator, one Christabelle Silje Isabelle Birgitta Sandoo, who made her Feedelity debut back in 2004 with the wonderful Music In My Mind 12" single . It is tempting to call Christabelle the Donna Summer to Lindstrøm's Moroder, but their relationship appears much more muddled and yet synchronous than that. Recording her vocals independently, making up lyrics on the spot and submitting them to Lindstrøm for modification and re-editing, their collaboration feels a subversion of the traditional producer-vocalist relationship - in short, anything could happen and quite often does .Hear the sassy horn led "Baby I Cant, Stop " which is like an amalgamation of Dr. Beat (Long Version) ,Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Single Version) and something off ABC,s Beauty Stab for a prime example of the unlikely directions this album heads off to .
"Real Life Is No Cool" is preordained on how the pair, according to Lindstrøm, "Found out that we shared many of the same musical references, such as Motown, Grace Jones, `80s soul, Vanity 6 etc." Plenty of it, consequently, sounds like a high-gloss, uber- glamorous revival of `80s electronic pop - though distinctly more cosmopolitan and polished than a lot of the `80s revivalism that's around at the moment. You can hear a touch of Grace Jones haughtiness in Christ belle's voiceover on the elegant "Music In My Mind", but the `80s soul tones are much more potent on the closing "High & Low", a sparkling but feline slow jam .There's also a neat Summer/Moroder pastiche, "Let's Practise" which alludes to the point I made earlier .
Those who have found Lindstroms tendency to ramble and stretch an idea to infinity , or so it seemed , should find this album a refreshing listen . Just occasionally it becomes frustratingly obtuse - "So Much Fun " could live up to it's titular hedonistic promise if it didn't spend half it's allotted near five minutes arsing about and "Never Say Never " is not what I concluded after hearing it - but overall Real Life Is No Cool is something deep-rooted given a prescient subtle tweak . It's the past refracted hazily into the future, or something like that .
on 18 March 2010
Absolutely amazing sound from one of the most promising DJs. If you want to keep the record, well... dont't miss this Vinyl.
on 31 July 2011
Sorry, I'm really going to have to disagree with the other reviews here (the 1st appears professionally written).
I'd bought Lindstrom's 1st album based on reviews, like the other reviewer states too few ideas stretched over 55m - would have made a great 3 track EP at about 1/2 the length. Caught Lindstrom DJing at the Big Chill a couple of years ago and was impressed. Decided to give him a 2nd chance, really wished I hadn't bothered though.

I can just about remember 1 'song' after 1/2 a dozen listens. Some songs start with random bits of vocals cut up re-pitched and generally messed with - if you like the idea of listening to somebody sounding like they're just trying out Ableton Live it's great. Even the more conventional songs are pretty forgettable, too often descending into aimless riffing. According to the initial review they worked independently, certainly sounds like it, often seems little connection between vocals and the rest.

Certainly has an 80's vibe but most of this has been done before, and better. Maybe I've just really left the 80's behind, hence my major dislike. Definitely the worst £11 I've spent this year.