on 3 March 2010
I just got this for my almost-7 year old, who loves the stories, constantly begs for them to be read and re-read as bedtime story fodder, but has never considered trying to read the copy she's had in her room by herself, it just looks too big and intimidating to her.

She was beside herself when she saw this loaded up on her DS - she mostly sees Mum and Dad reading ebooks so she was chuffed just to have one of her own - but she went on to read the first chapter in one sitting, and now won't be without it - absolutely loves it.

The interactivity is OK, nothing special, but the stories are as good as ever, and being able to wrap them up in the DS seems to be a real motivator. Love it.
on 16 January 2011
This is the first DS Flip I've bought & it was an Xmas present for my 6 year old. The initial reaction wasn't promising: "It's for girls. It's got a fairy on it." When we got him started on it "It's not a game just a book." (There are interactive elements but not many.)

However, it turned out to be a book he really doesn't want to put down. The DS format had made all the difference. He even grabs it to read a bit between breakfast & school. He can read fine for his age but would moan about anything more than a few pages long. He's played/read this far more than the Ben10 DS game he also received at Xmas.

I'm so impressed with how it's changed his attitude to reading for pleasure as opposed to homework I've bought the Artemis Fowl one as a birthday present for one of his friends.
on 22 September 2010
This far exceeded my expectations.

Basically its a series of 6 books that you read on your DS. You turn the DS on its side so that you are holding it like a book.

However its very interactive so when you're reading through there are little icons next to the words and names. For example, when they introduce a character the name is underlined so that when you touch it you get a picture of that character. There are little animations and sound effects to bring the text alive and illustrations in colour as pere a traditional paper book

There are also 'collectables' that you find as you read which you then use to unlock activities and recipes.

Now when my 8 year old asks if she can play on her DS in bed before she puts the light out I don't mind as she's reading but having fun doing it.

I would recommend!
on 12 April 2010
Love these stories from when I was a kid. (long time ago). I hope to see more of enid's books like amelia jane, and hope that they will also do many more for adults aswell.
It's easy to use for children some pictures move which keeps my friend's child happy, love the idea of collecting mushreooms and stuff and the to make items. Would recomend for everyone.
on 2 January 2010
I recently discovered the Nintendo DSi for reading books, it is perfect!
I also own the "100 Classic Book Collection" for the DSi and that is already great!
Then I purchased 3 Flips for the Nintendo DS,
- Enid Blyton: Faraway Tree Storys
- Cathy Cassidy 6 Book Pack
- Eoin Colfer: Artemis Fowl
and I am totally stunned!
First you can easily access several books on every Flips collection
and that makes it really handy (much heavier holding the real books and what grand pile in real books it would be indeed beside the bed).
Then you have nice colour pictures to go with your reading and interactive features, for example if a new character is introduced you can touch the name, which is underlined and get information on the character. And when you have reached another chapter there is always a summary of the previous chapter only a touch away. The most surprising feature are the interactive sounds and images that go with the text - it is difficult to explain but it certainly improves your imagination while reading. There are also collectibles between the pages and you get rewarded once in a while. I will not tell everything, otherwise I will spoil your fun.
Maybe it is intressting for you to know that I am an adult who likes reading children's books (some of which I read when I was a child and some of which I discovered later). This is a great way for children to get into the wonderful world of books and storys!
But I think the Flips could also do nicely for books from other categories and for all ages!!!
I really hope that more bookcollections will come.
I would really like the whole "Harry Potter" series and "The Lord of the rings" trilogy and The Holy Bible (and many more....) in Flips.
It cost me a lot of backpain to read these really heavy fantasy books!
So if Nintendo wants to compete with other multi digital devices as the Ipod Touch or ebook-readers, there is a chance!
For all Flips I give 5 stars and even more if that were possible.
on 15 January 2010
bought this for my 10 year old daughter (who loves Enid Blyton) she loves this game. Fantastic for getting them reading in a different way. would definatly recommend even if they already have the books.
on 25 April 2010
Bought as a book to take on holiday. The collecting of items while straight forward seems a good hook for kids. Thoroughly recommended and we are hoping for more titles
on 10 August 2010
This has provided another way of reading for my daughter. She loves the pictures which some Flip books don't have.
on 15 July 2012
This was bought for my daughter as she loved the books. She has had fun re-reading the familiar stories through the DS, and is looking forward to the new stories with the same characters. She loves the additional features, looking for hidden objects and book-marking her page.
on 15 June 2014
arrived well packaged and within estimated time, great for kids loving readers and you can combine a book with the ds, have to read it onn it's side though and the papaerback book was bigger and easier to follow.