5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you are looking for
This is an excellent book. Writing forms a large part of my work and I refer to this book almost every day. I encourage others to do the same.

Published on 21 Nov 2007 by Andrew Mahady

2.0 out of 5 stars It would be better if it wasn't so opinionated
Published on 14 Aug 2011 by abraxis

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you are looking for, 21 Nov 2007
Andrew Mahady "Andy" (London) - See all my reviews

Anyone who yearns for plain English and despairs at pompous, officious writing will find the book a joy to read. The subtitle of this book `Common Errors in English' is a very accurate description of the contents. These errors are very common; so common are they that many came as a complete surprise to me. And I thought I knew my stuff.

Written in a wry style, this book should be on the desk of anyone who writes regularly. The page on split infinitives is worth the admission price, because never again will you worry about such nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a joy!, 31 Oct 2001
By A Customer
For all of us language nerds, it is immensely reassuring to find that someone else cares as much as we do, knows a lot more than we do, and is better at presenting his material than we could ever hope to be. This book is alphabetically arranged (is there any other way, for us nerds?) and covers a selection of pitfalls in the English language, both at word and syntax level. Does it tell me things I didn't already know? Certainly, but I'm afraid any dull grammar does that - the winning ingredient in this book is its dry (dare I say acerbic?) humor, which mocks pretentiousness and reveals how muddled language is always a symptom of muddled thinking, no matter how many syllables or buzz-words have been used. Another plus is its willingness to take a stand, and tell the reader which solution is the preferable one. Of course, in an academic language study, the descriptive approach is the only one, but when it comes to usage guides, prescription is definitely called for, even if it smacks of school-marmish pontificating, and the author sits bravely, but securely, in the saddle of his language high horse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well said, sir!, 11 Nov 2008
This is an excellent guide to English usage, common errors and much else.

Trask can spot pretentious nonsense at forty paces and, thankfully, doesn't sit on the fence. The result is an authoritative book that sometimes made me laugh out loud as the author exposes and debunks some of the myths and nonsense that are still regularly encountered.

I share his dislike of the incomprehensible affected twaddle that so many academics and managers inflict on us.

I've since read a number of R.L. Trask's books and they're all outstanding. 'Language: The Basics' is brilliant and his guide to punctuation is quite simply the clearest and best available. Mr Trask is a truly talented writer and communicator. I wish more academics could write and explain ideas like him.

Those starting out on trying to improve their English might just occasionally find it a bit deep. I'd say 'Troublesome Words' by Bill Bryson is an excellent companion, but I'd definitely want this book to go with it. Reading two different, and well written, explanations is often a great help when dealing with an unfamiliar topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help with English, 24 April 2011
I found this a very readable book. It covered most of the common mistakes made in using English and I pick it up for guidance every so often

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning never stops, 16 April 2011
This is a very useful book for all those learning English. It is also very helpful for everyone who wants to refine the use of English language. I find fun every now and then surfing through the pages without any special need.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable book if it matters to you, 30 Mar 2014
Grammar is important if you want people to get the impression that you are paying attention to what you are saying or treating your audience with respect, so it is good to see that there is someone out there hunting down the kind of serial abusers of English that you find, like woodlice under a log, in PR outfits, government agencies and the features departments of mid-market newspapers.
This is an extract from a review by a better man than me.
He was - Nicholas Lezard, writing in
The Guardian, Saturday 10 August 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read for a grammar book!, 1 Jan 2014
This was recommended to me by my teacher for help with English writing. It is useful for various common grammatical misconceptions and is actually quite interesting to read rather than just sticking on the shelf until I need to refer to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as are most things written by Larry Trask, 22 April 2012
If you hate grammar and punctuation yet fancy yourself as someone who can write, then you can do no better than consulting Trask. His online guide to punctuation gives anyone a very solid footing from which to start and this guide about common mistakes in the English language is invaluable for any would be authors.
It is a real loss to linguistics that Mr. Trask sadly is no longer with us. Had he lived into old age, he would no doubt have made more powerful contributions to a subject that we all use and could all do with using better.

2.0 out of 5 stars It would be better if it wasn't so opinionated, 14 Aug 2011
On the plus side this book is interesting because it covers some of the differences between American and British English, useful for the spelling errors. Unfortunately, the book is spoilt by the author's opinionated style of writing. He makes digs and jibes at anything he takes a dislike to. It's really not want I want in a grammar book, it just has no place and is really inappropriate. Some of his statements regarding a couple of technical grammar points I also completely disagreed with but that's a minor point. If you can somehow filter out the author's own opinions then this book could be useful but I wish he would learn to write and keep his opinions to himself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book...not for a kindle, 19 Jan 2011
This review is from: Mind the Gaffe: The Penguin Guide to Common Errors in English (Kindle Edition)
Mind the Gaffe is a good book, and I can highly recommend its content. Why only 2 stars? I bought it for use on my Kindle. Big mistake. Reference books are hopeless on a Kindle if they don't have a good an excellent indexing system. The table of contents is a mere list of four and hopeless for navigating to specific reference points.

DON'T BUY THIS FOR A KINDLE. BUY THE HARD COPY INSTEAD.