Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 12 January 2009
I really, really love this movie. I don't know why, I'm not a stoner and I'm not the worlds biggest fan of dumb comedy movies, although I do quite enjoy them. I loved the characters, I loved the way it was written and filmed. I thought it was hilarious and a real quality movie, not the same old bull. My friends all seem to think it is fantastic too, we'll be buying about three copies between us at least. I think it is my favourite movie of 08, which is wierd, but there we are.
on 9 January 2009
The outline of the film is about slacker Dale Denton (Seth Rogan) being in the wrong place at the wrong time, by witnessing a murder. Not know what to do, he goes to see Saul Silver (James Franco) who has been Dale's pothead new dealer for the last couple of months. The two of them go on the run getting themselves into funny and sometimes ridiculous situations along the way. Stopping every now and then to have a smoke. In the short time the two of them are on the run, they go from just being simply customer and dealer to become the best of friends. As the film goes on they try to get themselves out of trouble. But as the two of them don't have a clue what they are doing, they end up getting caught in the middle of a drug war between two gangs. All they can do is dodge the bullets and try to save each other lives.

Pineapple Express was one of the best films of last year. I've been waiting for the dvd ever since I saw this at the cinema. Seth Rogan and James Franco put in superb performances, Seth Rogan is his usual brilliantly hilarious self. James Franco, who I'd only ever seen in the Spiderman films as Harry, was amazingly funny and I hope he decides to do more comedy roles in the future. The two of them worked extremely well together.

But for me, I predominantly enjoyed all the one liners that seem to come from the supporting cast. I was laughing from start to finish. The fight and action scenes were exceptionally funny and had me crying with laughter. This is one of the must-see films of the year.
on 3 October 2010
What makes this film brilliant is the chemistry between Seth Rogen and James Franco. It's one of the best I've seen in any film. It is so good it over rides the slim plot line and silly ending, just brilliant!! this type of chemistry cannot be created or copied it just happens every now and then in a few films. For example dude where's my car was a rubbish film because that X factor was missing between the two lead roles. I've lost count on how many times I've seen this film. Excellent 5/5
on 7 May 2009
Unfortunately I missed this one at the cinema and only picked it up a few weeks ago. Wasn't sure what to expect before watching this film, weather it was going to be another distinctly average American comedy or an absolute gem, which I believe it is. The plot, simple, a man, his drug dealer and a murder... the script pure genius! The true comedy lies in the actors, Seth Rogan playing Dale and James Franco playing Saul. You can feel the chemistry between the pair, making the whole journey so much more enjoyable and exciting. For me this is James Franco's best performance, I literally could not stop laughing him. His portrayal of Saul the pot dealer, who just wants friendship, is outstanding. His mannerism and throwaway comments really make this film. The tension and frustration inflicted on Dale caused by Saul's pure stupidity makes for some very entertaining viewing. If you want to laugh watch this film!
on 26 April 2016
Pineapple Express is one of my top comedy movies, I really like stoner comedies and have always gotten a good laugh out of these sorts of movies as you don't really have to think about them, they are just good fun and this film is simply awesome. Seth Rogen and james Franco together are really funny in this and the other main cast members do a great job as well. Any movie by these guys have always been funny but I think this alongside This is the end are the funniest ones they have done, Superbad was funny as well but isn't their best. I have watched this movie lots of times and always enjoy it.
I’m writing this review after my second viewing if ‘Pineapple Express.’ I watched it a couple of years ago and seemed to completely forget what it was all about. The reason I’ve watched it again is because I’m a big fan of Seth Rogen (and Judd Apatow’s style of film-making in general), plus I’m not bothered by the fact that a film can be about losers/stoners. Therefore, I really thought I must have missed something on my first viewing.

Sadly, as far as I’m concerned, I wasn’t wrong. This film really isn’t very good. And, when I say ‘good,’ I basically mean funny. I laughed about once (out loud) throughout the whole hour and forty minutes (which us unusual when I watch a Rogen/Apatow collaboration). No matter how much I tried, I just couldn’t ‘get’ it. It’s about two pot-smoking stoners who end up getting chased by killers/drug dealers. However, the ‘chase’ largely involves Seth Rogen and James Franco screaming a lot and then running round in circles (occasionally slapping each other/someone else).

Again, my verdict is simply that it’s not funny. The two central characters are annoying and not that relatable to, therefore I don’t really care that much if the mob catches up with them and kills them, or they just get away.

So, that’s my verdict – Pineapple Express is an average ‘comedy’ at best. However, it’s worth noting that the majority of people must have seen something in it that I’ve missed, as it’s (currently) rated a pretty impressive 7.0 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database. Guess I’m in the minority here on this one then.
on 21 January 2009
I love this film more than any other film I saw last year. It is great. I don't know why, cos I don't even smoke weed, but it is great and charming and loveable. Not much else I can say really. Also has some quality violence.
on 17 May 2009
This was easily one of the best films of 2008, for two reasons. 1 - it's funny as hell. 2 - it's action is great. Comedy and action are two of my favourite genre's of film, and this combines the to wonderfully. Seth Rogen is outstanding in his comfort zone of being a pot-head, but this time instead of knocking some bird up, he shoots bad guys, awesome. The jokes are always presant and funny, the action dosn't begin until about 45 minutes in, and it's all out action. With massive over the top gun fights and one of the most realistic fights of all time the last 45 minutes is just as good as the first but for diffrent reasons. Overall this film is one of a kind and one of the best films of 2008. It is Awesome.

Buy if you like - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or Super Troopers

The reason I recommend you to see Pineapple Express if you have seen these two films is because Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an action film with plenty of comedy, and Super Troopers is a comedy with action (sort of). Infact i recommend you to see all three.
on 7 August 2015
Just misses the mark, it tries hard, but loses its way in the middle, if not after the first twenty minutes, just not funny or that entertaining; perhaps amusing if you like dope, which is a word Seth loves a lot. Sorry but not a good film.
on 26 June 2015
It is what it is, a fairly amusing buddy comedy. I'm sure it has no more pretensions than that and I think it succeeds admirably, if I was a smoker, and I deny that categorically your honour, it would be 6 stars ✨ 🌟 🌟 ✨.