5.0 out of 5 stars Audio sorted
Send all your discs back -

Saturday 4th December 2010 -
The Avengers DVD Set 4 - Series 5 - OPTIMUM ANNOUNCEMENT - REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
From Optimum Releasing:

Send all your discs back -

Saturday 4th December 2010 -
From Optimum Releasing:

"AVENGERS SERIES 5 AUDIO ISSUE

It has come to our attention that the audio of the Avengers Series 5 episodes carries a pitch level that some people may feel is too high. We recognise that some viewers are dissatisfied with the current audio as it stands and we have returned to the original material and pitch shifted the audio throughout the episodes to a lower level that has now addressed the concerns raised.

If you wish to replace your current Series 5 discs with the revised audio versions please send all seven discs (separate from the original packaging) with your return address and we will endeavor to return the new discs within two weeks.

Please return your discs to:

The Avengers Series 5

Optimum Releasing."

;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers Debacle, 20 Feb. 2011
Levy "Mod" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a message for Amazon and other shop owners. It would help us the customer if you told us which version of the discs you are selling. I want to buy the set but not if I have to send them back to Optimum for replacements. Quite why Amazon has not returned their stock to Optimum for replacements beggars belief. I wonder how many other customers are being put off from making a purchase.

Update:

Here are my current thoughts on the ongoing debacle that is The Avengers Series 5. I contacted various sellers asking them if their Avengers Set contained the replacement discs. None of them were able to confirm this. Reading between the lines I think they were reluctant to admit to having faulty product. One company, however, assured me they had the replacement discs so I ordered. Of course the discs turned out to be the faulty ones.

A source of confusion seems to have come from Optimum themselves who posted a notice on The Avengers Declassified site saying:

"You may already have corrected discs. Check the shiny side of the disc near the centre hole for the code number. If the number contains 'V2' you do not need to return your disc as it is already the corrected version."

The discs sent to me did indeed display V2 in the correct location but it was evident to my ears that my beloved Mrs.Peel had had her voice cloned by Betty Boop. I checked around on various forums in case these V2 discs were the final word from Optimum and though still incorrect were improvements on what must have been V1 discs. On various forums including Amazon, posters who had had replacement discs sent to them by Optimum had reported V3 on the shiny side. So, I wrote to Optimum asking them for specific details. They told me that

'All corrected discs should have V3 present on the inner circle of the data side of the disc.'

So all V2 marked discs I'm afraid are faulty. Now, whether or not Optimum have included the corrected discs in Sets that are currently in circulation is something I'm not privy to. I did read on one forum that they would not be doing this until they had exhausted their supply of repressed discs meant for postal replacements. Which they have not as they have told me to send off my discs for replacements.

In an ideal world the sellers should have sent their discs back to Optimum for replacements before advertising them for sale but the world is far from ideal. So I think it should be assumed that most sets for sale contain the faulty discs and that should you decide to make a purchase you should be prepared to send the discs back to Optimum for a replacement. It's not right but I think these are the facts.

As regards the fault itself: the pitch level has been set too high. We in England are used to the pitch level being higher than the Americans because of the difference in Pal & NTSC but apparently the pitch level on The Avengers is 4% higher than what it should be. This makes Steed sound decidedly feminine more often than not and Diana Rigg like an overexcited schoolgirl about to embark on a first date. The pitch level of course has nothing to do with the picture so this issue would not be noticeable if you had never watched The Avengers. The disc cases are agreeably rotten and precisely those that one sees in the local pound shop. The extras look a tad thin on the ground and a lack of subtitles is annoying for those in foreign locales or are hard of hearing.

There is no denying that Optimum are at fault but they have addressed the issue by providing replacement discs for those who want them.

Update:

On opening the 'Radio Times' for week ending 20th May 2011, I noticed a full page colour ad by Optimum for The Avengers Complete 50th Anniversary Collection. Also pictured are the 6 individual box sets. In the bottom right hand corner the Amazon.CO.UK label is present so presumably the ad was a co-production. Does this mean Amazon will finally be in receipt of the corrected discs? Fingers firmly crossed for those still waiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avengers Pitch Problems, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I thought others might like to know that I received Optimum's re-pressed DVDs today and the pitch problems which have been widely reported have been sorted out. I sent the faulty - and very squeaky - DVDs back to the address in the last review and the sound is back to perfection. Steed no longer sounds like a squeezed rodent and Emma Peel is all languorous loveliness and not a hint of the chipmunk.

The picture quality is absolutely terrific and, thankfully, the sound now matches too.

The problem had extended to the first DVD of Series 6, but this too is now returned to the right pitch.

The sheer amount of hard work and love that went in to the DVDs was dented by the pitch problems - but Optimum have addressed this and now it's time to enjoy the episodes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers Series 5 - now on version 3, 11 Feb. 2011
Mr. Barry Clarke "Barry Clarke" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I want to re-buy this set of DVDs....when will we know when 'version 3' will be available to buy?
Here's what I received from Optimum via email on Feb 9th:

"Thank you for your email.
There was a slight delay with receiving the replacement discs however we are working through these now.
Series 5 replacement discs are present in online stock and are recognisable by holding them up to the light data side up V3 is visible on the inside ring of the disc.
Many thanks
Optimum Releasing"

But we can't actually check like this until we have opened the box!

Can amazon help with this? Do you know amazon if you have 'version 3' in stock?The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] [1966]

PS: My rating of 5 stars is on the actual TV programme....

3.0 out of 5 stars No extras at all..., 29 Dec. 2014
Bought this American Lionsgate blu as a replacement after one of the discs in my Optimum DVD set became defective. Yet this review is hard to write. Pros: the price is astonishingly low and the PQ sensational. Cons: for those owning the Optimum range with its plethora of extras, you'll be sorely disappointed as this release is the barest bones, episodes only. Was the upgrade was worth it? On balance, I don't think so. The Optimum sets have some of the best PQ I've ever seen on DVD, so the blu offers only a limited gain in that department, and while Optimum's price tag is a good deal steeper, its overall package offers such superior value that I'm going to re-invest in the DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a Lottery!, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I've held off purchasing this set due to the audio fault but decided to take the plunge based on the most recent reviews stating that the sets were ok.I ordered from Amazon & not one of the market place sellers thinking that i'd definitely receive the new corrected versions.I was most disappointed upon checking the discs to discover that they were V2 & not V3!! All of the discs are now on their way back to OPTIMUM for replacement.
It would be nice if Amazon would just have the courtesy to tell customers that V2 sets with the audio fault are still being sold.It would have saved me & others the inconvenience & cost of sending them back to OPTIMUM for replacement.
My five stars are for the series which is absolutely bang-on!! i can now spend endless hours admiring Steeds suits & Mrs Peels form!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Remedial action required?, 18 Nov. 2010
James Hayes "JM Hayes" (Herts., UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
My heart sank when the reviews highlighting the faulty audio on 'The Avengers - Series 5' started to stack up. 'Series 4' was a cracker, with superb sound and vision (though hiding away a couple of Extras as easter eggs was daft). 'Series 5' was going to be a Christmas/New Year viewing treat; had also planned to purchase two additional copies to give as gifts; but not now...
Surely if the problem is real Optimum should now acknowledge it, and recall this set pending an audio-corrected re-issue?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD], 14 Aug. 2013
The Avengers: the Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Great box set & extras too! Brilliant sound & picture quality!
I was worried about buying this box set as it has had problems it seems from other reviews with the sound & freeze picture too! Also there were reviews saying the same about series 4!The Gravediggers episode which was faulty on the early dVDs is also perfect! I have got set 4 & 5 now & thankfully my sets are perfect! Nice to watch Diana Rigg again as I had a crush on her back in the 60s! ;-) Looks amazing in Colour!
Very satisfied with my Avengers Set! :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great series ruined by bad sound quality, 5 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
The title of the review pretty much sums it up. It's a great series but unless you want to hear Steed sound like he's overdosed on Helium, you'd be better off waiting until a superior release happends. A shame as there are some great special features on it, but the episodes are useless in the current format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent quality and, 'the Prisoner' apart, the absolute epitome of eccentric UK TV '60's cool. Could only be improved by watching Steed and Emma kicking the butts of all those slimy tax-avoiding Amazon executives and forcing them to pay thie employees a decent wage.

The Avengers  -  Series 5 [DVD]
The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] by Patrick MacNee (DVD - 2010)