2,217 Reviews
 (1,723)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD
This is the Jillian Michaels fitness routine to help you shift some weight during a 30 day period. I started following her programme on 1st January 2015, when I weighed exactly 14.75 stone. It was a New Year's Resolution to get myself back into shape.
Published 1 month ago by William Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan. 2011 by Deb A

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD, 12 April 2015
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD includes 3 different 20 minute workout routines, Level 1 (a gentle getting started routine), Level 2 (a moderate level, slightly more challenging), and Level 3 (you'll need to be reasonably fit to keep up with this one). Jillian has two assistants helping her, who give you much easier options for some of the more exacting physical moves.
Level 1 includes arm thrusts back and forth, arm windmills, jumping jacks (not too many of them), knee bends and circles, push ups (with an easier option), squat and press with hand weights, skipping (without ropes), sit ups, reverse crunches, dumb bell pulls, static crunches with bicep curls, and so on and so forth. There's a relaxing cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 1 on a daily basis, at more or less 6.00 p.m. each day, throughout the whole of January. To be honest, I found it exhausting in the first week or so, but by the fourth week, I was coping pretty easily. My weight dropped to 13.75 stone.
Level 2 takes things up a gear. A lot of the exercises in Level 1 are repeated, but speeded up a bit. This routine includes backwards arm windmills, jumping jacks, high kicks, neck circles, push ups with walking back, half squat rowing with hand weights, walk out push ups, running on the spot, static lunges, and so on and so forth. There's a useful cool down routine at the conclusion of the twenty minutes.
I followed Level 2 on a daily basis throughout the whole of February, again at roughly 6.00 p.m. each day. It was quite hard going for the first 10 days or so, but then it started to become much more manageable. My weight dropped to 12.8 stone.
Level 3 is even more of a challenge, but actually very effective if you persevere, and that does take the determination to see things through to the end! Some of the exercises are the same as previously, but accelerated still further. The routine includes the double jump rope (no rope required), high kicks, butt kicks, knee circles, walking plank moves (with a much easier option for you), squat thrusts (fairly nasty!), sumo squats, sit ups, and so on and so forth. There's another cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 3 throughout the whole of March. It was a bit of an ordeal for the first week, but gradually my body strengthened, and the routine was quite manageable by the end of the month. My weight dropped to 12 stone dead.
I combined a disciplined approach to this workout regime, with a very careful diet for 3 months. I had Special K for breakfast pretty much each and every morning, drank lots of bottled water, had all sorts of soups for lunch (along with vitamin tablets), and lots of salads, fish and chicken dishes for dinner. I strictly forbid myself from eating any food after 6.00 p.m. - no exceptions. That was hard to do. I had a really unflattering photo of myself stuck to the fridge door, showing me when I weighed nearly 15 stone, and I found that a highly effective deterrent to any binge eating.
At the start of 2006, aged 38, I reached a weight of 15 stone, my heaviest weight ever, my doctor told me that I had very high blood pressure, put me onto Ramipril tablets, and advised me to lose some weight. I basically followed the diet described above for 6 months, and went to a gym 3 times a week. I dropped right down to 11.5 stone and people started asking me if I was eating properly!
However, during the next 8 years, I slowly but surely put most of the lost weight back on, and last year I ending up nearly dying from diabetes ketoacidosis, spending a week in hospital to recover. This emergency in my life prompted my second major diet and exercise regime at the start of this year, and having got back down to 12 stone, I've managed to stay there so far...
The backing music for this DVD is a little bit annoying and repetitive. After about the first week of training, I turned the volume off and just listened to my own music collection on my iPod.
This keep fit DVD really works, but only if you use discipline and stick with it. I had a very big personal incentive to do so, because I'd spent a week in hospital getting over diabetes ketoacidosis, and frankly all I could think about during my hospital stay was that I might never see my 12 year old daughter graduate from a University, or fulfil her dream of being a paediatrician, or get married, or have children...
All in all, I can highly recommend this DVD, even though I think that the "30 day shred" timetable is perhaps on the optimistic side, which is why I spread it out over a full 90 day period. If you're already fit enough to run two or three miles without stopping, you could probably do this "30 day shred" within a month. Conversely, if running one mile would be difficult for you, and two miles impossible, I think that you'd need to work at this shred routine for longer than 30 days, just like I did.
Finally, if you think that the routines on this DVD might be a bit too demanding for you, I can highly recommend the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD, which I've been using over the last month or so, and which I've found is great for an all-round cardio workout and general body toning - Jillian Michael - Yoga Meltdown [DVD].
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

1,584 of 1,650 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING., 19 April 2015
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
You must get this DVD, it really really works. I am quite lazy and hate working out, so I thought oh gosh another DVD that I won't stick too, but jeez this is addictive and I swear it works. My fella is looking at me in ( THAT WAY) again :-) Iv got the lines on my tummy that I never thought I would ever have, lost inches off my hips, and my legs are toned. Iv even got rid of the fat flab you get sticking out of your bra. I feel amazing. Never looked this sexy for years. Just a few things, before you start it watch each step first so you get used to the moves, that way you don't get confused about the moves when working out and have to keep stopping. I did each step for 13 days instead of ten. That way you get fitter and it makes it easier to do. Next try if you can to eat a bit healthier ( I didn't as I'm addicted to chocolate) otherwise I would have even better results, but I'm mega happy with how I look now. Lastly when you sweat all the rubbish comes out of your skin and makes it a bit dull so get a body scrub and use it on your face, then you are helping the rubbish come out of your skin. So that's it you are now ready to get shredded. If I can do trust me YOU CAN. Enjoy your sexy bodies folks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Don't even know how to explain how good this workout is. I'm not an exercise fan AT ALL but my god this woman is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal training at home, 7 Jun. 2010
O. SALIU (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Yes Jilian is tough and you should know this before going anywhere near any of her products. That said be prepared for the most intense 20 minutes you can image. It is a great DVD to have to give you an extra push when you need it and it is also a good introduction to exercise provided you listen to your body as well as Jillian. I'm the sort of person who can do the work out but need that extra motivational push to get the last rep in - so her style worked perfectly for me. Getting in shape is hard work so expect to be pushed hard by 'the toughest trainer on TV'. You may hate yourself in week one for buying the DVD - but by week two you will be full of self pride for being able to finish all the reps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ouch this makes you work!, 25 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, I read the reviews before I bought this DVD, and have waited a week to write this review! I am really impressed like many others I have lots of fitness DVDs from Davina, to strictly, to Angela griffiths! But this blows them all out of the water! I play football 3 times a week and thought myself fairly fit, but this DVD proved that I wasnt as fit as I thought! I am still on Level 1 and enjoying it, and certainly feel the benifit! I didnt have weights at first so used full shampoo bottles! did the trick, but did go out after the second time and treated myself to some cheap weights. I am looking forward to moving onto level 2 and 3 but will stick to level 1 for at least another week, and then will alternate them! I will update this as I go along!
This is a great DVD for advanced and beginers, and Jillian really does motivate you, when I did it the first time I was about to take a breather and she shouts at you to keep going, and you do! I really cant tell you enough to treat yourself to this fantastic DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, 17 April 2009
i wasn't really sure what to think as a lot of the reviews i had read were written had been by people in the first week of trying out this DVD. i'm on my fourth week and it really works - i found it far too intense to do 10 days of each level, so i did level 1 until it got easy and i got bored of it and i am about to move on from level 2. it's done in an interval style so you are never doing any segment (cardio/strength/abs) for longer than 2 minutes at a time.

level 1 is a bit harsh on the knees at first but you get used to it. level 2 is so hard and a huge progression from level 1 but it shows the results! there are moves that i found it impossible to do the first time such as plank jacks - jumping jacks whilst in a plank position, but after 4 attempts i pushed myself to be able to do almost all of them. i'm not sure if i will ever get to the stage where i can do every single move as many times as jillian says and i definitely modify moves if i need to. i still can do barely half of the final plank exercise because it's SO HARD but it still works! my stomach is looking good, my arms are toned and i'm a lot fitter in general. she says that you should feel like you're going to die, and you do, especially as the cardio is so intense, but it's only 27 minutes long so it's quick and you feel amazing after you get through it. it's good to take a day off from doing it every week, and i find treating it as the '50 day shred' is more helpful.

the only thing is i sometimes find it distracting when jillian laughs or makes a joke with her 'girls' only cos i'm in loads of pain dying on the floor and it puts me off. but i like that it's fairly informal and the instructions from jillian really, really help. as cheesy as it sounds i've pushed myself more than i knew i could. if you need to lose weight you need to combine it with a diet plan but even without a very strict diet you lose some weight and tone everything at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best workout DVD ever!, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I cannot praise this DVD enough! Only 5 days in i had lost 1.5 pounds and an inch off my waist and half an inch off my hips. I'm 5'6 and only 9 stone anyway so find losing weight difficult. I wanted to find something to help me do some final toning before my wedding in 6 weeks and this is the perfect DVD!It's only 20 minutes a day but you see results so quickly it keeps you motivated and at only around 5 pounds you cant go wrong!

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2009)