5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD
This is the Jillian Michaels fitness routine to help you shift some weight during a 30 day period. I started following her programme on 1st January 2015, when I weighed exactly 14.75 stone. It was a New Year's Resolution to get myself back into shape.
Published 2 months ago by Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan. 2011 by Deb A

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD, 12 April 2015
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD includes 3 different 20 minute workout routines, Level 1 (a gentle getting started routine), Level 2 (a moderate level, slightly more challenging), and Level 3 (you'll need to be reasonably fit to keep up with this one). Jillian has two assistants helping her, who give you much easier options for some of the more exacting physical moves.
Level 1 includes arm thrusts back and forth, arm windmills, jumping jacks (not too many of them), knee bends and circles, push ups (with an easier option), squat and press with hand weights, skipping (without ropes), sit ups, reverse crunches, dumb bell pulls, static crunches with bicep curls, and so on and so forth. There's a relaxing cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 1 on a daily basis, at more or less 6.00 p.m. each day, throughout the whole of January. To be honest, I found it exhausting in the first week or so, but by the fourth week, I was coping pretty easily. My weight dropped to 13.75 stone.
Level 2 takes things up a gear. A lot of the exercises in Level 1 are repeated, but speeded up a bit. This routine includes backwards arm windmills, jumping jacks, high kicks, neck circles, push ups with walking back, half squat rowing with hand weights, walk out push ups, running on the spot, static lunges, and so on and so forth. There's a useful cool down routine at the conclusion of the twenty minutes.
I followed Level 2 on a daily basis throughout the whole of February, again at roughly 6.00 p.m. each day. It was quite hard going for the first 10 days or so, but then it started to become much more manageable. My weight dropped to 12.8 stone.
Level 3 is even more of a challenge, but actually very effective if you persevere, and that does take the determination to see things through to the end! Some of the exercises are the same as previously, but accelerated still further. The routine includes the double jump rope (no rope required), high kicks, butt kicks, knee circles, walking plank moves (with a much easier option for you), squat thrusts (fairly nasty!), sumo squats, sit ups, and so on and so forth. There's another cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 3 throughout the whole of March. It was a bit of an ordeal for the first week, but gradually my body strengthened, and the routine was quite manageable by the end of the month. My weight dropped to 12 stone dead.
I combined a disciplined approach to this workout regime, with a very careful diet for 3 months. I had Special K for breakfast pretty much each and every morning, drank lots of bottled water, had all sorts of soups for lunch (along with vitamin tablets), and lots of salads, fish and chicken dishes for dinner. I strictly forbid myself from eating any food after 6.00 p.m. - no exceptions. That was hard to do. I had a really unflattering photo of myself stuck to the fridge door, showing me when I weighed nearly 15 stone, and I found that a highly effective deterrent to any binge eating.
At the start of 2006, aged 38, I reached a weight of 15 stone, my heaviest weight ever, my doctor told me that I had very high blood pressure, put me onto Ramipril tablets, and advised me to lose some weight. I basically followed the diet described above for 6 months, and went to a gym 3 times a week. I dropped right down to 11.5 stone and people started asking me if I was eating properly!
However, during the next 8 years, I slowly but surely put most of the lost weight back on, and last year I ending up nearly dying from diabetes ketoacidosis, spending a week in hospital to recover. This emergency in my life prompted my second major diet and exercise regime at the start of this year, and having got back down to 12 stone, I've managed to stay there so far...
The backing music for this DVD is a little bit annoying and repetitive. After about the first week of training, I turned the volume off and just listened to my own music collection on my iPod.
This keep fit DVD really works, but only if you use discipline and stick with it. I had a very big personal incentive to do so, because I'd spent a week in hospital getting over diabetes ketoacidosis, and frankly all I could think about during my hospital stay was that I might never see my 12 year old daughter graduate from a University, or fulfil her dream of being a paediatrician, or get married, or have children...
All in all, I can highly recommend this DVD, even though I think that the "30 day shred" timetable is perhaps on the optimistic side, which is why I spread it out over a full 90 day period. If you're already fit enough to run two or three miles without stopping, you could probably do this "30 day shred" within a month. Conversely, if running one mile would be difficult for you, and two miles impossible, I think that you'd need to work at this shred routine for longer than 30 days, just like I did.
Finally, if you think that the routines on this DVD might be a bit too demanding for you, I can highly recommend the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD, which I've been using over the last month or so, and which I've found is great for an all-round cardio workout and general body toning - Jillian Michael - Yoga Meltdown [DVD].
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

1,591 of 1,659 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost lots of cm's - love it, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Was a bit in two minds about buying the 30 day Shred, but am I so glad that I did, its the best work out DVD I have ever had and I can see the results. I began the 30 day Shred after having a miscarriage, to get fit, get my body back into order and take my mind off things and it has worked. I thought I would die through level 1 and Jillian does work, you, there is no stopping for a rest and after the 25 minute work out you can feel that you have done a work out. Julian pushes you and this is what I needed, she explains everything clearly, and encourages you with little comments like "if a 400lbs person can do star jumps so can you". I progressed to level 2 after doing level 1 for 3 weeks and it is harder, but enjoyable and works different parts of your body. I think I will be ready to move to level 3 in a weeks time and I am looking forward to see what the next chapter is like, but I can say after 5 weeks I have lost 14cms across my body from head to toe, re weight I am not sure, but I have diffently toned and lost those cms and I can see a difference. Even my husband likes my new shape. All I can say is give it a go don't give up and you will see a change - Juillian is my new best friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective!, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best exercise video I have tried.

PROS - I LOVE the fact that it only takes 20 minutes, and yet by the end of it you feel like you have had a really good workout. I tried Davina's which wasn't quite challenging enough, and Nell McAndrews which was just very long. This DVD has 3 separate phases that you progress through as you get fitter which is a great idea and incentive to keep doing it every day. Nothing in it is too complicated, and it starts off feeling nice and easy, but soon you really feel the burn and know it is working.

CONS - The warm up and cool down stretches are not as comprehensive as those I normally do and I did feel very stiff for the first few days. If I have time I do my own stretching at the end - Jillian's stretching seems hurried like she has to fit it into the 20 minutes. Also her American phrases 'Don't phone this in on me', and suchlike, can be a bit jarring.

All in all I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone. I feel a LOT more toned after a few weeks and I alternate it with other exercise. It is quick, to the point, every exercise is really effective, and the stages mean you won't get bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's true, it works., 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Jillian Michaels is awesome. After just 14 days of this workout I lost 2 inches off my jelly belly. I come back to it regularly. All you need is a yoga-type mat to lie on and hand weights, and enough room to do a jumping jack and be able to lie flat on the floor. Give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is a good work out with three different stages according to your fitness levels, so you don't have to worry about jumping in at the deep end. The exercises are designed for maximum fat burning and you can change up to a more difficult level once the easier level becomes too easy. Also its good to change up to keep the metabolism going. This DVD works where so many other regimes have failed in my experience. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, 17 April 2009
i wasn't really sure what to think as a lot of the reviews i had read were written had been by people in the first week of trying out this DVD. i'm on my fourth week and it really works - i found it far too intense to do 10 days of each level, so i did level 1 until it got easy and i got bored of it and i am about to move on from level 2. it's done in an interval style so you are never doing any segment (cardio/strength/abs) for longer than 2 minutes at a time.

level 1 is a bit harsh on the knees at first but you get used to it. level 2 is so hard and a huge progression from level 1 but it shows the results! there are moves that i found it impossible to do the first time such as plank jacks - jumping jacks whilst in a plank position, but after 4 attempts i pushed myself to be able to do almost all of them. i'm not sure if i will ever get to the stage where i can do every single move as many times as jillian says and i definitely modify moves if i need to. i still can do barely half of the final plank exercise because it's SO HARD but it still works! my stomach is looking good, my arms are toned and i'm a lot fitter in general. she says that you should feel like you're going to die, and you do, especially as the cardio is so intense, but it's only 27 minutes long so it's quick and you feel amazing after you get through it. it's good to take a day off from doing it every week, and i find treating it as the '50 day shred' is more helpful.

the only thing is i sometimes find it distracting when jillian laughs or makes a joke with her 'girls' only cos i'm in loads of pain dying on the floor and it puts me off. but i like that it's fairly informal and the instructions from jillian really, really help. as cheesy as it sounds i've pushed myself more than i knew i could. if you need to lose weight you need to combine it with a diet plan but even without a very strict diet you lose some weight and tone everything at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, great results!, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I found this workout difficult to start having a zero level of fitness but after a few days I really started to enjoy it. I'm now on day 29 and have lost 5lbs and about 2.5 inches around my middle. There is quite a lot of jumping which required me to wear my knee strap but on continually doing the workout my knees have strengthened and I no longer need the strap. I'm looking forward to doing another of jillians dvds

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2009)