1,527 Reviews
 (1,188)

1,382 of 1,414 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by Mrs. N. Fricker

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by Deb A

1,382 of 1,414 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan 2010
Mrs. N. Fricker "Nina" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to work out, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched Jillian on the Biggest Loser I was inspired to buy this as it promises fast results

Jillian Michaels You are AMAZING
This DVD does what it says on the tin.

If you put the effort in you will see results I have already dropped a dress size and am only on level 1

I was just using cans of beans as weights but invested in a pair of hand weights and boy does that work you even harder.
The work out is achievable no matter what your fitness level (I'm a beginner). I felt brilliant the first time I completed all the moves esp. the push ups and abs moves for the first time. Its a incentive to keep going and improving.

I am definitely a convert

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Agony, 25 Jun 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD without knowing who Jillian Michaels was; I bought it because of the reviews on Amazon. I also bought her book "Making the Cut". This makes a great companion to the DVD as it contains advice on moderating the diet according to body type etc as well as lots of inspiration and instruction as to the most effective circuits to totally cut the body (not started that process yet - will post review when followed the book's 30 day plan).
Making the Cut: The 30-day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
I was a little sceptical about exercising for only 20 minutes, but thought I would give it a go. Over the years, I have used fitness DVDs on occasion, but have never found them to be a true replacement for going to the gym or a class at the gym. I use a pilates machine at home so have no problem with strength in some areas, but wanted to raise my heart rate and really try to burn off any excess fat.
I am only halfway through the programme, so will update at the end of my programme, but I just wanted to say to anybody who is thinking about buying this DVD: JUST BUY IT AND GET STARTED!! It is amazing. As previous reviewers have said, the three levels of difficulty are set up so that you do 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute abs per circuit and there are 3 circuits. Again, as stated elsewhere, Jillian has Natalie and Anita working out with her; Anita shows the beginners moves while Natalie really goes for it. The individual exercises are themselves fairly traditional moves that will be recognisable to anyone who has done a gym class, or even PE at school. But it is clear that Jillian has given a lot of thought as to how best to combine the exercises to get the maximum impact upon the body, which I suppose is the reason this programme works.
The idea is that you work out at 100% intensity non-stop through the whole 20 minutes. That means no pause for a sip of water and ideally no pause to catch your breath (although Jillian does grudgingly say that you can have a 5 second breather if you really really need it!). I found Level 1 very challenging for the first few days and then it started to get easier, although the aching muscles didn't seem to ease up. Level 2 has me absolutely dripping with sweat by the end - I have not progressed to Level 3 yet so will update at the end of that.
After the 20 minutes, it feels like I have worked out intensely and my muscles ache in a good way. I am not remotely overweight but my legs and arms feel so much firmer already and my clothing is a lot looser (yay!). The best thing for me is that I feel so much fitter in such a short space of time - only on day 12.
Finally, before I bought the DVD I noticed that some reviewers said that they did not like Jillian's style of instruction. I have to disagree - she might not be sweet and sappy but I like her rather blunt, witty and motivational style. As she says, if you want a 20 minute workout that gets results, you're going to have to work for it. And she's right...

Well, I said I would review when I had reached Level 3. In many respects, I found the move to Level 3 the least challenging, although that was probably because I was fitter and stronger and so the leap didn't seem as great. Level 3 will still have you dripping with sweat, though, don't worry! I have recommended this DVD to my friends, who have also bought it and are now working their way through it. At the end of the 30 day programme, I need a refund on the new jeans I bought...they are a size too big now!
I have moved on to Jillian's duo Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (Full) [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] and No More Trouble Zones (Full) [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] which is just amazing (will post a review in due course.) So to conclude, this workout is a brilliant way to get you motivated and toned up in a short space of time, but perhaps more importantly it will inspire you to carry on to the next level. Phenomenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a bikini body? Get this DVD!, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
So...I have just completed Day 30 of the 30 Day Shred, and I have to say, I'm feeling strong and fit, I've lost a few kilos, and a total of 6 inches off my waist, hips, tummy, arms and thighs. All in all, I am ready to bare all in a bikini when I jet off to sunny Portugal tomorrow!

Let me explain - prior to starting this fitness regime, I had never done any exercise apart from yoga and a little rollerblading in the park. While I wasn't overweight, my fitness levels were very poor, and I'll admit that walking up the stairs to my flat left me feeling somewhat out of breath and tired. So, having booked my holiday, I decided I needed to get in shape...

I started with Level One, and it was hard work that left me shattered, but it was fine on Day 1. on Day 2 I was very sore but completed the workout anyway - by Day 3 I could barely walk, and just lifting my arm to switch on the light was quite painful! So I had a day off, then continued to complete the workout about 6 days a week for the next month, switching up to the next level after every ten days.

The workouts are not easy, but I found that my body adapted quickly, and it only took 2 or 3 days to get used to each level. To begin with, I found Level 1 an absolute killer, and now a month later, I can complete Level 3 quite comfortably, and I even look forward to my daily workout!

I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wants results fast, and who doesn't have the time or the money to join the gym. Of course, there is no pain, no gain, but if you stick with the regime, you will see your fitness levels soar, and a huge reduction in the jiggliness of your thighs, tummy and arms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian definatly shredded me, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
On the 24th Jan 2o11- i started the 3o day shred- made myself a chart with stickers and started level one.
It was a killer {Think your gonna die stay with anita} well i died and came back for 4 weeks on that level-
Now i am doing level one and two together 7 days a week and its GREAT.
Did have slight problem with the knees as some of the exercises at first are tough.
I have paced this out because i am not in a rush. i have been doing this DVD now for 7 weeks and the change is amazing.
I will be doing level 3 in 2 weeks time.
I am 5ft 8ins, had 6 children and before these exercises i was a size 14 weighing 11 1/2 stone, i had a bit of a jelly belly and a muffin top- Now i am back to a size 12, and on the 4th April 2o11 weighed in at 1o stone- jelly belly is flatter muffin tops considerably reduced more defined abs.
My waist is narrower i feel slimmer and look slimmer and feel fitter for it.
My youngest is 4 years old and what really surprised me is that it has taken only 4-6 weeks of exercise to flatten my belly area i should have done this years ago, but you do notice a change as early as week 2.
My Husband started the same time and we have been doing the same routine together- he was 18 stone and now 16 1/2- we have both been very careful with what we have been eating so a good healthy diet with this is more of an advantage.
I am now such a big fan of Jillians DVDs that i have bought 4 more and will gradually go through all of them, i think that once you get the bug you dont want to stop because you can see and feel the difference and if you miss a session you feel guilty.{Like i do}
It is hard and tough and you feel like giving up the first day but DONT, you WILL get THROUGH IT, Jillian is brilliant, as a trainer, she is the best, the way she explains the moves and the details. She is such a proffessional - its Brilliant, it really feels as if she is your own personal trainer, she encourages you and motivates you to carry on.
So have a go - stick with it because if i can do it i know you can.
Once you get past the first week the rest is a BREEZE.
Hi there again- i just thought that id update you- its {5th July 2011)-6months- still exercising now my weight has stuck on {9st 5} this is what i weighed before i had all my children- really pleased- very toned up -No muffin tops- but abs.
I feel much healthier, fitter - i have never ever dieted but only made the extra effort to eat more healthier foods now that we have summer you naturally tend to eat more salads anyway, just cut out the chocs-fizzy drinks and sugary foods, thats what you will notice in the difference.
now have gone through all jillians dvds and my favorite is {No More Trouble Zones Pink DVD} that targets all those bits you hate- its absolutely brilliant.
So go and get the DVDs -stick at it because when its all over or when you have the result you want it will be worth it- it is just amazing - Jillian Micheals is GREAT
Hi again it is now 9th Jan 2o13- still doing the work outs - rotate each dvd so every 3-4 weeks i am doing a different one.
It is just now a permanent daily routine for me- want to keep fit and healthy, for me it is not really about losing the weight as i am now back to my PRE-PREGNANCY shape size 12 -(11}- My Husband put the weight back on but now he is doing Jillians workout again- he is not a dedicated or strict but he will get there in the end.
Just enjoy it and have fun then you will see the rewards of all your hard work.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, 17 April 2009
i wasn't really sure what to think as a lot of the reviews i had read were written had been by people in the first week of trying out this DVD. i'm on my fourth week and it really works - i found it far too intense to do 10 days of each level, so i did level 1 until it got easy and i got bored of it and i am about to move on from level 2. it's done in an interval style so you are never doing any segment (cardio/strength/abs) for longer than 2 minutes at a time.

level 1 is a bit harsh on the knees at first but you get used to it. level 2 is so hard and a huge progression from level 1 but it shows the results! there are moves that i found it impossible to do the first time such as plank jacks - jumping jacks whilst in a plank position, but after 4 attempts i pushed myself to be able to do almost all of them. i'm not sure if i will ever get to the stage where i can do every single move as many times as jillian says and i definitely modify moves if i need to. i still can do barely half of the final plank exercise because it's SO HARD but it still works! my stomach is looking good, my arms are toned and i'm a lot fitter in general. she says that you should feel like you're going to die, and you do, especially as the cardio is so intense, but it's only 27 minutes long so it's quick and you feel amazing after you get through it. it's good to take a day off from doing it every week, and i find treating it as the '50 day shred' is more helpful.

the only thing is i sometimes find it distracting when jillian laughs or makes a joke with her 'girls' only cos i'm in loads of pain dying on the floor and it puts me off. but i like that it's fairly informal and the instructions from jillian really, really help. as cheesy as it sounds i've pushed myself more than i knew i could. if you need to lose weight you need to combine it with a diet plan but even without a very strict diet you lose some weight and tone everything at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much fitter and stronger!, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Although I only lost 5lb with this, my fitness levels are so much better! I can run harder for longer and lost 9 inches all over. It does get a bit repetitive when you are on the last days of each level, but you will do it if you're committed. I am a Jillian Michaels convert - it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Jun 2010
R. B. Greatorex (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD after a recommendation from a friend (who in turn had purchased it due to the glowing reviews on Amazon).

I have had a couple of exercise DVDs before, usually Davina, but this one is really a cut above!
With the Davina DVDs I found myself not feeling as though I had accomplished anything and became bored after about the third use. The way 30 day shred is set out means that if you find yourself becoming bored you can simply move on to the next level. There are 3 levels in total and I am currently on level 2 and have been using it for about 3 weeks.

The exercises are varied and I genuinely emjoy doing the DVD (which is why I have stuck with it!), before purchasing I was not really sold by the fact that it is only a '20 minute workout' as time isn't really an issue for me - however now I think this is a really good selling point, not only for the time benefits but also it means the workout is varied and you don't really have a chance to become bored with the movements, and if you do each one only last about 30 seconds so isn't a problem.

I had never heard of Jillian Michaels before purchasing, but within the DVD I do actually find her commentary very encouraging and she has some valid points to say. As I said I have been doing the DVD for about 3 weeks (admittedly not everyday) but I have had several comments about weight loss already which I am incredibly pleased with!

All in all a great DVD, some great movements, great instructor and good layout and progression. My only advice would be if you do purchase the DVD do some extra leg warm ups before you begin as the warmup included only really focuses on arms!

ARRAY(0xacf1f138)