1,885 Reviews
 (1,473)

1,496 of 1,542 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by Deb A

1,496 of 1,542 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Workout!, 16 Mar 2010
Aileen Gray - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I am a bit of a gym bunny and love watching The Biggest Loser so have seen Jillian's style in action, she's tough but fair. I got this DVD as an alternative to the gym and for something to shake my work outs up a little. Thinking that I was rather fit I skipped over level 1 straight on to level 2 thinking it would be easy enough! OMG! For a 20 min workout this is tough, the sweat was pouring off me within 5mins! Jillian's method is a sure fire way to burn fat and tone up fast if you stick to it and eat a healthy diet.

The moves are combined with upper & lower body at the same time followed by abs for 3 cicruits then a short cool down. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wants a bit of a challenge, after all, the body of your dreams will not come to you without hard work! Excellent DVD! (I'll let you know when I work up to level 3!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly died. But damn, my abs and ass are looking good., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Level 1 is fine, if you do some exercise a week. Level 2 is a leap, but manageable after a week or so of doing it. Level 3 nearly killed me.

But if you want a toned body and don't have much time a day to achieve this in, this is the way forward. My abs, ass and arms are looking the best they ever looked. This, combined with running twice a week, has lost me a stone in 4 weeks and I feel fit, healthy and full of energy.

Buy it. You might die. But at least you'll look good :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 25 minutes a day, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Doing this routine everyday and although I have not lost weight, I have got slimmer and I do feel much fitter and stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Oct 2014
Best work out DVD I've ever bought lost 1 1/2 stone doing it and toning nicely

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian is a genius!, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I am working out with this video now since 6 weeks. I know it was called 30 Day Shred but for me, that was more a commercial reason why they called this workout DVD like this. These days everybody seems to want to lose weight quickly. But Jillian says on this video, when you are ready you move up to the next level and this is what I have done. I will take for myself the time my body needs to get fit again, but of course with giving all my best, you have to push yourself to lose weight and I am extremely happy with the results so far. I have lost a dress size and my husband also noticed, that I must have lost loads of weight. My main problem area is the tummy and I have lost 2 inches there. The other areas I have not measured but my arms look more toned, the wobbly bits seem to look and feel a lot more firm. My legs look great and I feel fantastic after the workout. I won't lie to you but the first 3 days you are aching a lot but I still managed to do the work out. On day 4 everything feels better and the pain is gone. You will sweat a lot and you will have to invest in two dumbbells, I chose 1 kilo ones and a good working out or yoga mat. But it is absolutely worth it. I have not worked out for years and wanted to get back in shape and just feel healthier. I am already eating healthy so I did not have to watch my diet too much. I never received so quick results not even in a fitness studio, so that already tells me that Jillian knows a lot about getting fit and in shape. I like her no nonsense attitude and getting on with the work out. Guys if you want to lose weight and have not a lot of money invest in this workout DVD, yoga mat and dumbbells and you won't regret it. Stick with it, you will be really surprised about the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, 8 May 2009
Michelle Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
With a little apprehension i purchased this dvd after researching many keep fit DVD's. I seriously believed i was relatively fit, after working out in the gym 3 times a week and mucking out and riding my two horses every day. WRONG!!!! This is a killer! But trust me it works. After 3 weeks i have lost a total of 6 inches from my body. It only lasts 20 minutes so it quite manageable to fit into the busiest of schedules. Have now cancelled my gym membership and concentrating on this DVD.

Would recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
In the beginning of this workout I was in "OK" shape. Not too athletic, but not a couch potato either. I started doing the shred around 18 days ago so I'm now at level 2. Level 1 was simple and easy to do but it also challenges you. There are two different ways to do this exercise, the other is a bit easier since the moves are modified to be a bit easier. At first level 1 was quite rough but the improvement in cardio is quite quick in level 1. I also noticed improvement in my arms. The level 2 is much harder than the first level and you need to push yourself to finish it. To do it properly, you must really get into it. Luckily Jillian is honest and tough and keeps you going. She clearly tells you what you need to do to reach your goal (i.e. getting arm muscles etc.). All in all, this workout is very tough but the moves are simple and easy to follow. Jillian is very motivating and the workout seems very effective. After 18 days I have noticed improvements in my back, upper arms and abs, which are the areas I've wanted to improve. I can recommend this workout to anyone who wants to sweat, pant and really work for results and see them in a short time.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]