2,166 Reviews
 (1,683)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD
This is the Jillian Michaels fitness routine to help you shift some weight during a 30 day period. I started following her programme on 1st January 2015, when I weighed exactly 14.75 stone. It was a New Year's Resolution to get myself back into shape.
Published 15 days ago by William Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good and works you hard but very bad on the ...
It's good and works you hard but very bad on the knees , I also think the warm up isn't long enough and neither is the cool down .
Published 1 month ago by nicola jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD, 12 April 2015
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD includes 3 different 20 minute workout routines, Level 1 (a gentle getting started routine), Level 2 (a moderate level, slightly more challenging), and Level 3 (you'll need to be reasonably fit to keep up with this one). Jillian has two assistants helping her, who give you much easier options for some of the more exacting physical moves.
Level 1 includes arm thrusts back and forth, arm windmills, jumping jacks (not too many of them), knee bends and circles, push ups (with an easier option), squat and press with hand weights, skipping (without ropes), sit ups, reverse crunches, dumb bell pulls, static crunches with bicep curls, and so on and so forth. There's a relaxing cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 1 on a daily basis, at more or less 6.00 p.m. each day, throughout the whole of January. To be honest, I found it exhausting in the first week or so, but by the fourth week, I was coping pretty easily. My weight dropped to 13.75 stone.
Level 2 takes things up a gear. A lot of the exercises in Level 1 are repeated, but speeded up a bit. This routine includes backwards arm windmills, jumping jacks, high kicks, neck circles, push ups with walking back, half squat rowing with hand weights, walk out push ups, running on the spot, static lunges, and so on and so forth. There's a useful cool down routine at the conclusion of the twenty minutes.
I followed Level 2 on a daily basis throughout the whole of February, again at roughly 6.00 p.m. each day. It was quite hard going for the first 10 days or so, but then it started to become much more manageable. My weight dropped to 12.8 stone.
Level 3 is even more of a challenge, but actually very effective if you persevere, and that does take the determination to see things through to the end! Some of the exercises are the same as previously, but accelerated still further. The routine includes the double jump rope (no rope required), high kicks, butt kicks, knee circles, walking plank moves (with a much easier option for you), squat thrusts (fairly nasty!), sumo squats, sit ups, and so on and so forth. There's another cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 3 throughout the whole of March. It was a bit of an ordeal for the first week, but gradually my body strengthened, and the routine was quite manageable by the end of the month. My weight dropped to 12 stone dead.
I combined a disciplined approach to this workout regime, with a very careful diet for 3 months. I had Special K for breakfast pretty much each and every morning, drank lots of bottled water, had all sorts of soups for lunch (along with vitamin tablets), and lots of salads, fish and chicken dishes for dinner. I strictly forbid myself from eating any food after 6.00 p.m. - no exceptions. That was hard to do. I had a really unflattering photo of myself stuck to the fridge door, showing me when I weighed nearly 15 stone, and I found that a highly effective deterrent to any binge eating.
At the start of 2006, aged 38, I reached a weight of 15 stone, my heaviest weight ever, my doctor told me that I had very high blood pressure, put me onto Ramipril tablets, and advised me to lose some weight. I basically followed the diet described above for 6 months, and went to a gym 3 times a week. I dropped right down to 11.5 stone and people started asking me if I was eating properly!
However, during the next 8 years, I slowly but surely put most of the lost weight back on, and last year I ending up nearly dying from diabetes ketoacidosis, spending a week in hospital to recover. This emergency in my life prompted my second major diet and exercise regime at the start of this year, and having got back down to 12 stone, I've managed to stay there so far...
The backing music for this DVD is a little bit annoying and repetitive. After about the first week of training, I turned the volume off and just listened to my own music collection on my iPod.
This keep fit DVD really works, but only if you use discipline and stick with it. I had a very big personal incentive to do so, because I'd spent a week in hospital getting over diabetes ketoacidosis, and frankly all I could think about during my hospital stay was that I might never see my 12 year old daughter graduate from a University, or fulfil her dream of being a paediatrician, or get married, or have children...
All in all, I can highly recommend this DVD, even though I think that the "30 day shred" timetable is perhaps on the optimistic side, which is why I spread it out over a full 90 day period. If you're already fit enough to run two or three miles without stopping, you could probably do this "30 day shred" within a month. Conversely, if running one mile would be difficult for you, and two miles impossible, I think that you'd need to work at this shred routine for longer than 30 days, just like I did.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

1,575 of 1,633 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an Excellant workout DVD that I have recommended to many people, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is an Excellant workout DVD that I have recommended to many people . I love it and always go back to using it every time I am going on holiday and need to get into a bikini ! What I like about it is the interval training it seems to suit me personally as while the exercises are intense if you know you only have to do them for a few minutes , so it helps me stick at it . Also the fact that it is only 20minutes makes me more inclined to do it each day even when I'm not feeling like it . There is 3 different levels that you work your way up to and if you stick with it each day you will see your direness levels go up very quickly . First few days of doing it I thought I was going to die then started getting a bit easier , even say a difference in ability to complete it by the 5th day ! As for results I would say I lost a small amount of weight on the scales but saw a huge difference in the mirror to my shape. And clothes fitted much better. If you are wanting an excercise DVD that gets results in short space of time buy this, stick with it and you will love the results .

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian is the Ultimate in fitness!, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this after my 20 mins work out from Jillian and was I in for a surprise. This work out is INTENSE and I couldn't love it more! I love her no-nonsense approach to training! she has such a wonderful combination of cardio and resistence [strength] that you're never doing any one for too long.
I've had a few other workout DVD's from different trainers/celebs and I will never do anything else other than Jillian.
her routines have great movements which work you out thoroughly and they don't feel like adult excercise, I really felt like a kid with the jumps, skater moves and mountain climing moves.

I've heard some reviews where they say they find her voice annoying, but I'm sure those who find it annoying are those who are not yet ready to give it all they have and expect to get great results with very little effort. [I would find it annoying too if I was exercising lazily and I had someone telling me to push for more]
Within 3 days I couldn't help but walk up AND down the stairs in two, I was that flexible and conditioned in 3 days.

If you're the kind of person that expects all for nothing, this is not for you, if you like being told 'its ok, if you can't do it, do the easy [lazy] version', this is not for you. if you are willing to accept the "no pain no gain" policy, give this a go now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!! Brilliant, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Well i've never been so exhausted, this Dvd Really puts you through your paces. you really do want to die after a 30 minute work out!
The whole DVD is Based on a 3.2.1 sytem :
Warm up at the begining
3 mins of strength training,
2 minutes of cardio,
1 minute of Ab training,
3 times with 3 different routines.
With Stretching at the end.
There are 3 different Levels,
Each level is based on you level of fitness, its best to do each level till you feel comfortable to move on to the next, level 1 which is lower impact but still good, Level 2, which is my particular Favourite, and Level 3 is very high impact, really hard on my knees so i couldn't do some of the moves, but adapted some moves from previous level to replace them. but is equally as good. I been doing this DVD for around 30 days or more now and i do feel fitter but not too sure about the shredded.Jillian is very encouraging and keeps you going but the music is very irritating. I think i'd rather not have the music and just her voice.
Altho i do this dvd before work and breakfast it kills me everytime, maybe still tired but i'm always sweating buckets. its a great DVD, but don't expect instant results especially if you have stubborn fat to lose,cause i been eating healthy and only lost 3lb on that 30 days or so!! so i'm sad about that, maybe i'll buy the rest of her dvd's to mix it all up a bit..I have already ordered the 6 week Ab DVD, so i shall write a review on that one also. Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD which really does get you fit, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted a home DVD that I could fit in around young children, and this one gets great reviews and is really short. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone trying to get fit, who has limited time. There are 3 different levels of workout, and each one only lasts about 25 minutes including warm up/cool down. They're basically circuits- each routine consists of 3 circuits, and each circuit is made up of 3 minutes strength exercises, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute of abs. She's a great instructor, and behind her are 2 girls, one doing an easier modified version of each exercise, and the other doing the tougher version.

You're supposed to do each level for about 10 days (or when you feel ready) before moving up to the next one. I can honestly say the first couple of days nearly killed me and I could hardly sit down! But they get easier as you get fitter, and I feel si much better for it already. I am definitely more toned now that I'm coming to the end of the 30 days. The best thing about them is their length- there's no way I can get to a gym every day with young kids, but I can find 25 minutes in the evening or while they nap. Thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Sweat and Tears, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
There are 3 levels of 20 minute workouts (excl. warm up and cool down) and I usually do one of these first thing in the morning. After 3 months I'm still not bored of them - they are intense and challenging but extremely satisfying. I think I use heavier weights than used by Jillian's team but Jillian is so motivating that she keeps you going and ensures you don't give up. I was an avid gym goer - 3-4 times a week - but am down to once a week now but supplement with Jillian's DVDs. Since I've sorted out my diet the weight has started to fall off and I can truly see the results of this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I got this DVD a week ago. I didn't have any hand weights at first so I just tried it out without them for a couple of days. I did find that I had to pause for 5 seconds several times. However, I did feel good at the end. I tried it out today with the hand weights and its definitely quite hard. Again, I haven't been able to do it without pausing for 5 seconds several times. Does it work if you pause many times? Also, I am not sure I am doing the push ups right. I have however only just started, but definitely feel that I will get some results if I continue. Overall, I am quite satisfied.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2009)