2,119 Reviews
 (1,650)

1,565 of 1,616 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars ... stuck at it for about 3 weeks and overall enjoyed it and it did work
Got this DVD just over a month ago and I have to say when I first got it I stuck at it for about 3 weeks and overall enjoyed it and it did work, I lost weight and felt firmer. The problem was though if you aren't used to vigorous excercise like this then like me may end up with joint pain. I do still do the DVD but not every day as it can leave me with very painful knees...
Published 8 days ago by Sarah

1,565 of 1,616 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD which really does get you fit, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted a home DVD that I could fit in around young children, and this one gets great reviews and is really short. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone trying to get fit, who has limited time. There are 3 different levels of workout, and each one only lasts about 25 minutes including warm up/cool down. They're basically circuits- each routine consists of 3 circuits, and each circuit is made up of 3 minutes strength exercises, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute of abs. She's a great instructor, and behind her are 2 girls, one doing an easier modified version of each exercise, and the other doing the tougher version.

You're supposed to do each level for about 10 days (or when you feel ready) before moving up to the next one. I can honestly say the first couple of days nearly killed me and I could hardly sit down! But they get easier as you get fitter, and I feel si much better for it already. I am definitely more toned now that I'm coming to the end of the 30 days. The best thing about them is their length- there's no way I can get to a gym every day with young kids, but I can find 25 minutes in the evening or while they nap. Thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - if it tones where it hurts this is the best ever!, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I got this product after having used Billy Blanks Taebo videos in the past and for a few weeks leading up to this purchase. I've always been a big Taebo fan but dip in and out of exercise. I had got a bit bored of the ones I had and was looking for some variety. This caught my eye and the reviews were good so I gave it a go.

The exercises are not complicated and the pace does not seem too fast so I didn't expect a lot to be honest, but like most others I could hardly walk the next day. I was determined to keep on going and have just completed day 10, stepping up to the level 2 workout this morning. Level one improved my fitness and strength almost immediately and I'm pretty hooked - I even took my hand weights away with me as I really dont want to miss a day.

Its working hard on quads, glutes, and abs - although its the quads and glutes that hurt the most when you start! Jillian tells you that you need to push through if you want results and at one point says that if you're on day 6 or 7 you'll be amazed at the improvement in your endurance and she's right. I can't believe how much I've improved in 10 days. You will sweat and shout and want to stop but it really is worth going on with it - this is a fantastic DVD.

Unlike a lot of exercise plans which claim to not take a lot of time, the entire session takes about 22minutes including the warm up / cool down and the gaps for explanation. Level 2 doesn't have them, you're just straight into it so be warned.
I love it and i'll be buying more of Jillans workout DVD's. Thanks Jillian!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars best workout dvd I've ever had - yes it's tough ..., 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
best workout dvd I've ever had - yes it's tough at first but you can feel yourself getting stronger and able to move through the levels. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick but effective exercise. I've lost 18 lbs since ..., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Quick but effective exercise. I've lost 18 lbs since the end of August by combining this with healthy eating, but still treating myself at times

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to exercise, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
After years of doing nothing more than walking for exercise I thought it was time I actually got fit and lost a bit (lot!) of weight.
I bought this after reading some reviews on Amazon and fitness websites (I'd never heard of her before) and it's been a great introduction to exercise for someone like me. I like the way there are modified versions of most of the moves for those who are less fit or who have flexibility issues and it also means you can break yourself in gently until you get the form and repetitions right before aiming to do the more advanced version of each move. She gives plenty of instruction and urges you onwards without being too shouty. Probably the only criticism is I don't think the cool down is long enough but there's nothing to stop you running through that bit a couple of times.

There are three levels and the idea is you do 10 days of each, hence the 30 day Shred title. I'm about finished level 3 now but I won't be burying the DVD in the cupboard as it is a very handy 20min exercise program for days when you might not have time for anything longer and it's actually enjoyable to do - not something I thought I'd be saying a few weeks ago!

I'd highly recommend it for those just starting out or not used to following a fitness program though regular gym bunnies might find it a bit easy. Can't remember if it says in the DVD description but you'll need a pair of dumbbells (I used 1.5kg at the start but upped to 3kg later as I got fitter)

4.0 out of 5 stars You will feel shredded, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking for a quick 30 minutes intense aerobic exercise that I could fit in before work, this pretty much fits the bill except although its not really aerobic it gets your heart rate up and your pulse speeding along and it combines strength and abs. You do need weights but as I foolishly gave mine to chariity last year I have using bottles of water until I get some more. There are three levels, as someone who was completely unfit and hadnt done any exercise for about three years, even Level 1 is a total killer. I thought I was going to die on the first push up, fortunately in each level her helpers are advanced and basic so Ive been watching the basic person and doing that rather than the advanced person with the modified moves. Although you are supposed to do it every day, the first several times i had to leave a couple of days between them as my muscles were killing me, when they subsided then I hit it again.

It definitely builds your fitness up from level 1, the first few times in the last third I was really flagging but after a few of them it was fine. I was, quite frankly, amazed. I like that there are basic and advanced within the level itself. The only reason it didnt get 5 stars was it is a bit of a grind, the music is a bit boring and I do feel I am literally grinding through it, but then getting fit and losing weight was never going to be interesting. I am thinking of getting a more aerobic dance dvd with better music and alternating them just to kill off the boredom factor. It does say lost up to 20lbs over the 30 days doing it every day, but i would be more than happy with 10lbs and alternating it with a more interesting one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners., 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Well I jumped on the shred bandwagon, everyone I knew raved about it.

I was worried, as I'm not fit at all. Never really exercised. But since losing a few stone. Wanted to change that and get fit and tone up.

Well 20 mins is perfect for busy mums. Perfect. Not too long you get bored. Not too hard to find the time.

I have damaged ligaments in my knee. 6 years ago. This DVD is fine for my knees no issues. You must listen to Jillian!

I found her instruction very good. It is important to get the moves right. She shows you how to. Pointing out the biggest mistakes people make. With regards to incorrect posture and injury.

I would recommend that you wear decent gym wear and footwear, this makes a huge difference. I do think if you aren't wearing supportive clothing or shoes. You would have problems with injuries, aches and knees. Like any work out. Don't be fooled that because you use it's at home, that you don't have to wear supportive clothing.

I found if you do all of this. You don't suffer from the "killer" syndrome, in the first few days. Which can result in injury or lots of pain from unnecessary strain. You feel worked don't get me wrong, but not in agony. I was really unfit before starting and it was a struggle at first. But within days. I was flying through stage one. So much so I had to go up to level 2 a few days early. I'm now currently on day 4 of level 2. Which is really upping the intensity, but I'm coping!

I'm seeing a big change already. Not on the scales. But inch loss, clothes and a much more stream lined figure. I have much more stamina. I'm going to complete this then move onto ripped in 30.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Day Shred, 20 Jun. 2012
MyFitnessPal - circuit training - 20 minutes

Each level is 30 minute and contains:

5 minutes of dynamic stretching to warm you up
20 minutes intense cardio and strength training
5 minutes of static stretching as a cool down
I have literally just finished Level 1:

Just done Level 1:
I did all the moves as advanced apart from the press ups.
I used 2kg hand weights throughout.
I'm not too tired after level 1 as the cardio moves aren't that intense
That said I am sweating and my heart rate is up.
Jillian Michaels is famous for her work with The Biggest Loser. She demonstrates and joins in with the majority of the moves, but she moves around to show modifications and make points about form.

The cardio strength training is divided into 3 sets. Each set has:

3 minutes of strength training - one move is a challenging strength move, the other is a combination move using legs and arms
2 minutes of cardio - in Level 1 this is very low impact
1 minute of core exercises - in the first two sets she does 30secs of 2 moves, in the last set she does 1 min of bicycle crunches
There are two women demonstrating with Jillian - Natalie and Anita. Natalie does all the modifications although she clearly doesn't need to!

I really enjoyed it, although I wouldn't be able to do it every day or I would get bored....and I would definitely do it with 30 minutes of pilates or some other exercise you enjoy.

There are 3 levels and the biggest jump is between Level 1 and 2.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2009)