2,178 Reviews
 (1,690)

1,578 of 1,636 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good and works you hard but very bad on the ...
It's good and works you hard but very bad on the knees , I also think the warm up isn't long enough and neither is the cool down .
Published 1 month ago by nicola jones

1,578 of 1,636 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Effective Keep-Fit DVD, 12 April 2015
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is the Jillian Michaels fitness routine to help you shift some weight during a 30 day period. I started following her programme on 1st January 2015, when I weighed exactly 14.75 stone. It was a New Year's Resolution to get myself back into shape.
The DVD includes 3 different 20 minute workout routines, Level 1 (a gentle getting started routine), Level 2 (a moderate level, slightly more challenging), and Level 3 (you'll need to be reasonably fit to keep up with this one). Jillian has two assistants helping her, who give you much easier options for some of the more exacting physical moves.
Level 1 includes arm thrusts back and forth, arm windmills, jumping jacks (not too many of them), knee bends and circles, push ups (with an easier option), squat and press with hand weights, skipping (without ropes), sit ups, reverse crunches, dumb bell pulls, static crunches with bicep curls, and so on and so forth. There's a relaxing cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 1 on a daily basis, at more or less 6.00 p.m. each day, throughout the whole of January. To be honest, I found it exhausting in the first week or so, but by the fourth week, I was coping pretty easily. My weight dropped to 13.75 stone.
Level 2 takes things up a gear. A lot of the exercises in Level 1 are repeated, but speeded up a bit. This routine includes backwards arm windmills, jumping jacks, high kicks, neck circles, push ups with walking back, half squat rowing with hand weights, walk out push ups, running on the spot, static lunges, and so on and so forth. There's a useful cool down routine at the conclusion of the twenty minutes.
I followed Level 2 on a daily basis throughout the whole of February, again at roughly 6.00 p.m. each day. It was quite hard going for the first 10 days or so, but then it started to become much more manageable. My weight dropped to 12.8 stone.
Level 3 is even more of a challenge, but actually very effective if you persevere, and that does take the determination to see things through to the end! Some of the exercises are the same as previously, but accelerated still further. The routine includes the double jump rope (no rope required), high kicks, butt kicks, knee circles, walking plank moves (with a much easier option for you), squat thrusts (fairly nasty!), sumo squats, sit ups, and so on and so forth. There's another cool down routine at the end of the 20 minutes.
I followed Level 3 throughout the whole of March. It was a bit of an ordeal for the first week, but gradually my body strengthened, and the routine was quite manageable by the end of the month. My weight dropped to 12 stone dead.
I combined a disciplined approach to this workout regime, with a very careful diet for 3 months. I had Special K for breakfast pretty much each and every morning, drank lots of bottled water, had all sorts of soups for lunch (along with vitamin tablets), and lots of salads, fish and chicken dishes for dinner. I strictly forbid myself from eating any food after 6.00 p.m. - no exceptions. That was hard to do. I had a really unflattering photo of myself stuck to the fridge door, showing me when I weighed nearly 15 stone, and I found that a highly effective deterrent to any binge eating.
At the start of 2006, aged 38, I reached a weight of 15 stone, my heaviest weight ever, my doctor told me that I had very high blood pressure, put me onto Ramipril tablets, and advised me to lose some weight. I basically followed the diet described above for 6 months, and went to a gym 3 times a week. I dropped right down to 11.5 stone and people started asking me if I was eating properly!
However, during the next 8 years, I slowly but surely put most of the lost weight back on, and last year I ending up nearly dying from diabetes ketoacidosis, spending a week in hospital to recover. This emergency in my life prompted my second major diet and exercise regime at the start of this year, and having got back down to 12 stone, I've managed to stay there so far...
The backing music for this DVD is a little bit annoying and repetitive. After about the first week of training, I turned the volume off and just listened to my own music collection on my iPod.
This keep fit DVD really works, but only if you use discipline and stick with it. I had a very big personal incentive to do so, because I'd spent a week in hospital getting over diabetes ketoacidosis, and frankly all I could think about during my hospital stay was that I might never see my 12 year old daughter graduate from a University, or fulfil her dream of being a paediatrician, or get married, or have children...
All in all, I can highly recommend this DVD, even though I think that the "30 day shred" timetable is perhaps on the optimistic side, which is why I spread it out over a full 90 day period. If you're already fit enough to run two or three miles without stopping, you could probably do this "30 day shred" within a month. Conversely, if running one mile would be difficult for you, and two miles impossible, I think that you'd need to work at this shred routine for longer than 30 days, just like I did.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

4.0 out of 5 stars She's kicking my butt!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
DVD arrived in tack and in a timely fashion. The works outs are easy enough to manage, but hard enough to feel like something is happening! You do need a set of small hand weighs (And a mat if you are on a hard surface). DVD works fine - the only slight issue I have is that before the menu screen you have to watch her talk a bit why she's the toughest trainer around, etc, and you can't just skip it - but it's not a big deal - just go grab your water while she's talking!

4.0 out of 5 stars hard work!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
If you're looking for something that will work you hard, get you sweating and give you results this is the DVD for you. So far I've only done Level 1 and I can totally feel the difference. Be warned that after a day or two you will want to give up if you do it properly. The only thing is I don't like how she talks to you - she can be quite mean so I turn off the sound and listen to one of my favourite CDs while I'm doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is amazing! The results so far have been amazing! I have lost 8lbs. Lost 4 inches from waist and 2 inches from hips and I am only 14 days in! I love it. I havent been able to progress to Level 2 yet. I tried it for 2 days and went back to Level 1. Ill stay there until I can do normal pushups! Lol.

My body shape is changing and I am so excited. I want to put this DVD on everyday and get annoyed when I cant.

My knees are feeling it a bit just now but I think that was down to me moving up a Level when I wasnt ready.

Jillian Michaels Rocks and I will be purchasing her other offerings in the future. I have never ever had results from any fitness DVD until now!

BUY IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING., 19 April 2015
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
You must get this DVD, it really really works. I am quite lazy and hate working out, so I thought oh gosh another DVD that I won't stick too, but jeez this is addictive and I swear it works. My fella is looking at me in ( THAT WAY) again :-) Iv got the lines on my tummy that I never thought I would ever have, lost inches off my hips, and my legs are toned. Iv even got rid of the fat flab you get sticking out of your bra. I feel amazing. Never looked this sexy for years. Just a few things, before you start it watch each step first so you get used to the moves, that way you don't get confused about the moves when working out and have to keep stopping. I did each step for 13 days instead of ten. That way you get fitter and it makes it easier to do. Next try if you can to eat a bit healthier ( I didn't as I'm addicted to chocolate) otherwise I would have even better results, but I'm mega happy with how I look now. Lastly when you sweat all the rubbish comes out of your skin and makes it a bit dull so get a body scrub and use it on your face, then you are helping the rubbish come out of your skin. So that's it you are now ready to get shredded. If I can do trust me YOU CAN. Enjoy your sexy bodies folks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!, 25 Feb. 2013
Mrs. S. L. Doyle "Mums Taxi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
As I'm on the mature side, 47, I was becoming increasingly down about my lack of energy, weight, and general wellbeing. So, New Year 2013 I decided to do something about it and Gillian Michaels 30 day shred was the answer to my prayers.
When the dvd arrived I sat and watched it through all 3 levels.
I thought, this is going to be a doddle (I was much fitter in my younger years, and my brain obviously still thought I was still capable of doing everything on the workout) WRONG!!!

Day 1. I nearly broke my nose trying to do a press-up, when my arms clapsed (not funny). Leg's turned to jelly after 10 minutes of jumping jacks, butt kicks etc but I stuck with as much as I could do...........

Day 2, No regrets and NO ACHES AND PAINS, so the warm down definately worked from day 1, especially considering I hadn't excersised in years.
I wasn't much better than day 1 but I still stuck with it.

End of week 1 - I CAN DO THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

End of week 2 - I'M DOING THIS and IT'S WORKING !!!!!!!!!!

Jump to end of week 4 - I'm down two dress sizes. I've lost 9.5 Ibs and I FEEL GREAT.

Gillian's tough, but what I love about her is she keeps you motivated as she talks all the way through. I do the workout every evening at 8:00, on the dot. As I do the workout in my bedroom, above the lounge, my husband turns the TV up, and the neighbours very kindly ignore what obviously sounds like somebody trying to break through the ceiling.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is easy, like I was. It isn't, but if you want results, this is the start-up workout I would highly recommend.

I feel great, my confidence is back, my energy level's are through the roof and my husband, says my body reminds him of when we first got together 29 years ago. Best of all, my baby tummy from my 3rd child, from 21 years ago, has gone !!!!!!!!!!

Gillian, you're tough but I love your workout !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO LADIES,YOU CAN DO IT TOO............

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a bikini body? Get this DVD!, 11 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
So...I have just completed Day 30 of the 30 Day Shred, and I have to say, I'm feeling strong and fit, I've lost a few kilos, and a total of 6 inches off my waist, hips, tummy, arms and thighs. All in all, I am ready to bare all in a bikini when I jet off to sunny Portugal tomorrow!

Let me explain - prior to starting this fitness regime, I had never done any exercise apart from yoga and a little rollerblading in the park. While I wasn't overweight, my fitness levels were very poor, and I'll admit that walking up the stairs to my flat left me feeling somewhat out of breath and tired. So, having booked my holiday, I decided I needed to get in shape...

I started with Level One, and it was hard work that left me shattered, but it was fine on Day 1. on Day 2 I was very sore but completed the workout anyway - by Day 3 I could barely walk, and just lifting my arm to switch on the light was quite painful! So I had a day off, then continued to complete the workout about 6 days a week for the next month, switching up to the next level after every ten days.

The workouts are not easy, but I found that my body adapted quickly, and it only took 2 or 3 days to get used to each level. To begin with, I found Level 1 an absolute killer, and now a month later, I can complete Level 3 quite comfortably, and I even look forward to my daily workout!

I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wants results fast, and who doesn't have the time or the money to join the gym. Of course, there is no pain, no gain, but if you stick with the regime, you will see your fitness levels soar, and a huge reduction in the jiggliness of your thighs, tummy and arms.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2009)