1,818 Reviews
 (1,418)

1,481 of 1,526 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by Deb A

1,481 of 1,526 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results in a shirt space of time, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Fast delivery. DVD itself - great! Was a size 12 to start and lost 3 inches off my waist alone after 30 days. I was shocked as i thought nothing would work on my tummy after having children! Very intense workouts though, not for those who give in easily!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 25 minutes a day, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Doing this routine everyday and although I have not lost weight, I have got slimmer and I do feel much fitter and stronger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Don't even know how to explain how good this workout is. I'm not an exercise fan AT ALL but my god this woman is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars but I am sooo glad I found her, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Why haven't I heard of Jillian Michaels before? I have no idea why, but I am sooo glad I found her. I was about to buy Insanity but did a search and discovered that most people favoured JM so Shred was my first purchase. I am 41 and I was 10st- have been for ten years. Tried lots of diets and ran 5 x wk but couldn't shift the weight so thought that that was just because of 'life after children'.

But within 4 weeks of doing Shred and following a 1400 daily calorie intake I have lost 7lbs and 2 inches of my waist, hips and thighs. I feel better too- My clothes feel better, I am more toned, I am sleeping better, have more energy and am totally addicted to continuing to feel this way. I finished my last day yesterday- so I am having a rest and then I am moving on to Ripped in 30.

I can't recommend this highly enough- my husband is hooked and has lost 7 lbs and my friend has just started and is feeling better after 1 week. And what's good about it is- it costs 5 and not 100 like Insanity!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm now a Jillian Michaels convert!, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
In 2012 I finally managed to focus and lose weight. From April I managed to lose over a stone and a half through various methods but after that I sort of stopped trying and put on a few pounds over Christmas (as do most people). Before Christmas I had purchased the 30 Day Shred and tried to do Level 1 but was so enticed by the Christmas-y food that I just gave up trying to lose weight and left it for the new year!

I restarted the 30 Day Shred on the 3rd of January 2013 and did it 5 days a week (I like to have a lie-in on the weekend). So it actually took me 40 days to complete the DVD. I am not a sporty person. I was one of the girls who would manage to 'fall ill' on every sports day at school. I find exercise very difficult and I am not usually good at motivating myself to do it. The thing is, I actually really ENJOYED the 30 Day Shred - something I never thought I'd say about exercise! I was sweaty and exhausted by the end of each workout but even when I hadn't initially felt like getting up at 6 am to do the exercise while everyone else was still asleep, by the end I was so glad I'd stuck through those 20 minutes, which flew by.

On a more technical note, I found that, as others have commented, the step up from Level 1 to Level 2 was much more difficult than that from Level 2 to Level 3. I also couldn't do all the reps in each level. Level 1 was manageable but Level 2 and 3 were that much harder and even by the end I couldn't do ALL the reps. That said, I have still seen fantastic results. For anyone wondering, I used 1 KG hand weights.

I have to add that, in addition to the 30DS, I have been eating 1200 calories a day so obviously, that combined with the DVD has led to better results. I weighed myself on the 1st of January and I weighed 10 stone 10.2 pounds. I started the 30DS on the 3rd and finished it yesterday. I weighed myself this morning and I now weigh 9 stone 13.6 pounds!! I'm so happy!!! Jillian Michaels has helped me drop another dress size and I feel so much healthier and look a lot better. I'm still a little flabby, but if I hold in my stomach I can see where muscles have started forming! I've enjoyed this DVD so much that I'm starting Ripped in 30 on Monday!

It was hard work, but it was SO worth it! Thank you, Jillian!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll do anything you say Jillian!, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is awesome! For those of us who always mean to exercise but somehow never get round to it, this is a really great solution. The moves are hard, I won't lie, especially to begin with - but they're the kind of hard that makes you feel really good about yourself. You truly feel that you're working muscles, toning specific areas and making yourself healthier. Instead of feeling unfit when it's difficult, you feel like you're making an improvement. This is partly down to the intensity of the exercises, which progresses from level one to three over time as your fitness improves; and partly because of Jillian. Hers is the kind of commentary that never really gets old, even when you've done the workout for weeks, because she makes the right comment at the right time - you can be happily going along doing your jumping jacks, ignoring her prattle to the girls in the gym with her, but then it starts to get hard, and just as you're about to stop for a breather she says '400lb people can do jumping jacks - so can you'. And you think. 'yes, I CAN!' and keep going!

I love this DVD because I find Jillian's coaching very motivational. She's supportive, and clearly understands the thoughts that go through the heads of lazy/out-of-practice people. More importantly, she knows how to combat the negative thoughts, by encouraging a sense of self-worth and capability, and also a sense of competition. Sometimes I get annoyed with her for accusing me of laziness when I'm feeling okay, and it makes me work harder - which is of course the point of what she's saying.

You should buy this DVD if you want a real workout that will improve your fitness level over a short period of time, motivate you to work out regularly, and empower you to feel active and strong. I know that doing the punches and weight lifting I feel like Wonder Woman, because it's a tough workout that I know is giving me results. As Jillian says in my favourite quip of the whole DVD, resigning yourself to 'just take the stairs' is giving in to 'a false message of lethargy' - try arguing with that when she's pumping her perfectly-toned arms at you. If you really, truly want to lose weight, tone up and feel fit and healthy, then all you need is Jillian.

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly died. But damn, my abs and ass are looking good., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Level 1 is fine, if you do some exercise a week. Level 2 is a leap, but manageable after a week or so of doing it. Level 3 nearly killed me.

But if you want a toned body and don't have much time a day to achieve this in, this is the way forward. My abs, ass and arms are looking the best they ever looked. This, combined with running twice a week, has lost me a stone in 4 weeks and I feel fit, healthy and full of energy.

Buy it. You might die. But at least you'll look good :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Before I bought this DVD I was a complete beginner. I had barely exercised a day in my life and was completely unfit.

The DVD consists of 3 workouts; Level 1 (the easiest), Level 2 (a bit harder) and Level 3 (really hard). You are supposed to do each level for 10 days and then progress on to the next level. For the first few days, I was aching all over and in a lot of pain! However, it was a good kind of pain; the kind of pain where you know your body is transforming and you feel like you're achieving something.

By around day 7 my endurance and strength had increased tenfold and I was no longer aching in the mornings. By the end of Level 3 I felt so strong and so happy with myself. You could see that I had little biceps forming and my tummy definitely looked more toned.

I did this DVD twice in a row, so for a total of 60 days. At the end of it I had lost 1 stone (14 pounds) in weight, and 18 inches from all over my body! I couldn't be happier.

The only bad thing about this DVD is that Jillian tends not to explain the movements very well. I found myself having to watch specific moves over and over so I could try and copy her and get them right. Obviously, with strength moves, getting your form right is very important otherwise you can injure yourself, so I feel that she could have taken some time to explain exactly how to carry each move out.

All in all, I would highly recommend this DVD.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]