1,835 Reviews
 (1,428)

1,489 of 1,534 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by Deb A

1,489 of 1,534 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results in a shirt space of time, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Fast delivery. DVD itself - great! Was a size 12 to start and lost 3 inches off my waist alone after 30 days. I was shocked as i thought nothing would work on my tummy after having children! Very intense workouts though, not for those who give in easily!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 25 minutes a day, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Doing this routine everyday and although I have not lost weight, I have got slimmer and I do feel much fitter and stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Don't even know how to explain how good this workout is. I'm not an exercise fan AT ALL but my god this woman is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! Best workout DVD I own!, 10 April 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Update: It's a year on and I am still using this DVD regularly as part of my routine. I am now a size 10/12 (I lose weight very slowly but I am doing it safely and healthily and because it comes off slowly, it means it stays off for longer if I should have 2 weeks of overeating such as at Christmas! I mean ladies, I can gorge on chocolate for 2 weeks and still look the same so as long as I go back to eating well again afterwards!)
I am a fit and healthy person, I workout and run and swim 4-5 times a week and I still find this DVD moderately challenging. It's great to do on a rainy day or if you want to slip a quick 20min workout in the morning because you know you won't have time later to do it. For days where I want variety, I would do level 1,2 and 3 together in a row for a brilliant and intense 50min workout (skipping the level2+3 warm ups). If you eat well too then this will further speed your weight loss and benefit your health (Some suggestions - Breakfast: Oats or Wholemeal toast with tuna mixed with coriander yogurt| Lunch: Hummus, pitta, carrots or bean wraps (keep it light) or soups or salads | Dinner: make it wholesome and consist of some sort of wholegrain, fresh veg and lean protein e.g. brown rice with steamed carrots, avocado's, spinach and lentils with coriander & cumin | Snacks: Fruit (I esp love grapes/berries/pineapple/mango/kiwi), nuts & seeds, hummus with carrots, dried figs/apricots/raisins - dried dates and figs are great too to replace chocolate cravings).

Original posting:

I've been doing so many workout DVD's and this is one of my favourites.

It's tough but it works and you get results quick!
It is split into 3 levels - beginner/intermediate/expert (level 1,2,3)

I am quite advanced on fitness and wanted to 'shred' my size 14 to a 12 and I have done so after doing this DVD for 3 months(along eating 3 healthy meals a day with 2 moderate sized snacks).

I increased my intensity by doing level 2 and 3 together 5 times a week (lasts about 50mins in total) and rested on the weekends. I ached all over for the first 2 weeks but I also felt my body change.

This works!! Jillian has obviously researched the hardest and most effective routines for fat burning and toning and she has put all together in this enjoyable workout! Jillian knows what works and this workout encourages muscle building as you workout which burns up more calories the fitter and stronger you get which is why you must keep pushing yourself every couple of months or so to keep your body challenged and changing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Workout!, 16 Mar 2010
Aileen Gray - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I am a bit of a gym bunny and love watching The Biggest Loser so have seen Jillian's style in action, she's tough but fair. I got this DVD as an alternative to the gym and for something to shake my work outs up a little. Thinking that I was rather fit I skipped over level 1 straight on to level 2 thinking it would be easy enough! OMG! For a 20 min workout this is tough, the sweat was pouring off me within 5mins! Jillian's method is a sure fire way to burn fat and tone up fast if you stick to it and eat a healthy diet.

The moves are combined with upper & lower body at the same time followed by abs for 3 cicruits then a short cool down. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wants a bit of a challenge, after all, the body of your dreams will not come to you without hard work! Excellent DVD! (I'll let you know when I work up to level 3!)

4.0 out of 5 stars tough but worth it, 3 Feb 2010
S. Evans "evothegreat" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Cracking dvd workout. Dvd has 3 different levels and when watching them they dont look too bad. But after starting on level one I could 'feel the burn' straight away. The fact that each workout is only 20 mins allows you to get your workout without it taking up to much time. The workout differs to target all parts of the body and once you get into it is a very good workout.

Jillian talks to you throughout the workout and encourages, she explains how to do different things and has one person doing the exercises at and advanced level and one at a beginner so you you can adjust the exercises to suit you and your fitness level.

The only negative is the music..could be a bit more lively but overall a good workout, will get results, time efficient and worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars best workout I've done including extreme gym classes!, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I got this DVD as I figured it was cheaper than just one visit to the gym, I read the reviews but didn't really believe them. I am an average active person and I have to say, even at level one, this DVD killed me. It's amazing. Jillian motivates you to just keep on going. I'm sure you're all laughing that you need motivation during a 20 minute work out but I honestly didn't think I could sweat so much in such a short space of time.
I did this DVD two days ago and right after it had to force my poor little wobbly legs up stairs to the shower and still now it hurts to go up and down the stair or sit and stand.
Best work out I've had including extreme Tabita at the gym!!
I've already recommended this to 4 of my friends (over the phone obviously since I cannot move ha)

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]