1,916 Reviews
 (1,499)

1,507 of 1,553 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by NinaJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution!
I initially bought this DVD determined to do something about the wobbly, unfit body I seem to have acquired over the past few years.

After seeing Jillian push all the contestants on 'The biggest loser' as hard as she could without actually killing them and seemingly getting excellent results, I decided I was going to ease myself in gently and do the 1st circuit...
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by Deb A

1,507 of 1,553 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Oct 2014
Best work out DVD I've ever bought lost 1 1/2 stone doing it and toning nicely

4.0 out of 5 stars "Does what it says on the tin.", 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
wow this really is an intensive workout DVD!! It really gives your body a thorough workout, is great for getting you fitter FAST, and I do mean FAST, the first day I thought I was going to die, but by the middle I was feeling great. This DVD is not for anyone with any kind of lower body injury, as it focuses a lot on lower body strength. It's really important that you perform all exercises in this DVD with good form and in the correct manner otherwise you could end up with a serious injury. Ahem...yep, discovered that the hard way, badly hurt my patella (knee.) I wouldn't recommend this if you have recently had a baby, it's way too strenuous. But otherwise its definitely worth a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workouts but 10 days in a row of the same 20 minute routine gets repetitive, 13 Aug 2013
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Jillian Michaels is well known in the US as a trainer on a weight loss TV show. She has an almost Oprah-like fan-base and there's no doubt that she has achieved phenomenal results and 30 Day Shred is basically her core DVD product. First up, it will work for most people. That's the good news. Personally, I lost 4 pounds over the 30 days. I'm not convinced weight is the best metric, but it also helped shift inches so the impact on the critical body fat percentage is also good. On top of the fact that it will work, it's pretty easy to fit into your day - you only need 30 minutes or so, including warm up and cool down. That's not unmanageable. Her concept is three minutes of strength, two minutes of aerobic, one minute of core three times. So psychologically you always know where you are and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. She offers three different workouts (she likes the number three) with the implication that you do each for ten days before moving onto the next. They do get progressively more challenging so at least the first time through, that's the way to do it as you need to build up a bit to the next level. Even for the moderately active, it's a challenging workout.

What you will need are some hand weights (light is fine), ideally a good mat (esp for level 3) - thick if you have dodgy knees and possibly pushup stands if you have weak wrists as she does like to have you in plank a lot. One of the backing bouncers does a slightly lower impact version, but the differences are modest.

So there are a lot of positives. There are also some negatives though. Some won't apply to everyone. If you respond best to shouty coaches, you are in luck here. She does shout and generally seems rather angry. The soundtrack is awful so after you get familiar with the routine, it's best to pump up your own music (you cannot turn the music off unfortunately). She doesn't understand the meaning of "a couple" either which will catch you out if you are not watching avidly as everyone is still bouncing away while you have stopped after two! She also fails to understand that we can only hear her and not her two friends so laughs maniacally when they say something apparently funny - hashtag awkward, as some would say. Most irritatingly, every time you fire up the DVD you have to listen to her self-promotion for several minutes before you get to the main workout menu. That's fine the first couple of times - but I mean couple. Thereafter, it is infuriating.

Her strength work is potentially the most challenging. She likes to work upper body while keeping the lower body engaged in stress positions. This makes it particularly sensitive to the weight you are lifting - I struggled at first because I was lifting the same weights I would normally lift for these moves but because you are in a stress position you need to go a bit lighter. Thus lighter weights are probably better. This is another minor gripe - she and her backing bouncers use one set of weights throughout but I found that the different exercises required different weights to be effective. This metabolic approach has another longer term issue. It is good for aerobic workout (ie you will lose calories), less good at building lean muscle, because you are forced to use lighter weights. This means that longer term you are not building the muscle to keep fat off (muscle burns fat at rest) so you will have to keep coming back to something like 30 day shred. It also seems strangely biased towards shoulders - maybe it improves posture so makes the impact look better?

Also be aware that level 3 in particular involves a fair bit of plyo (ie jumping up and down) work so if you have people living below you - beware. Although by this stage you should be able to out run them if the get really angry ;)

Although short, after 10 days each level becomes so dull. As I said earlier, the first time through, you sort of have to build up to the next level. Thereafter, if you are doing the full 30 days, I'd strongly suggest doing level 1, level 2, level 3 and repeat rather than ten times level 1 etc. Better yet, combine it with other workouts to keep your body from getting used to the routine. If this is the only routine you do, you will soon get bored and the danger is this will stop you exercising. But as a 30 day before you go on holiday routine - it will produce results for a modest time input if you eat sensibly as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great workout video, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great workout video. I've been trying fitness vids for 20-odd years, and always gave up after a few weeks, but I've been doing this one 3 or 4 times a week since June and I'm very pleased with the results. The best thing is that the workouts are less than 25 mins, so even a busy working mum can invest half-an-hour a few times a week without too much stress. During July and August I was doing three or four workouts a week, and dieting too, and the weight came off fast and steady. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, it honestly does!, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Unlike most workout DVDs, I actually found the warm-up to be really very adequate - perfect in fact - and it really got you warmed up and stretched, ready to go. Trying to use weights without having done that first is foolish.

I did make two mistakes on the first day of level 1: I used weights that were too heavy because I was a little too overconfident, and I also followed the harder instructor for the same reason. I pulled muscles and was in pain for a few days (I didn't quit, though, and I did stick to the shred, stretching my muscles out and subsequently eliminating the pain), and on day 2 I went for my lightest weights, which were 3lbs, and followed the easier instructor for a few days. Once the ache had passed, by day 4 I think it was, I was able to follow the harder instructor, but I stuck to small weights.
During level 2 I found a few moves to be too easy even under high intensity, so then I was able to increase my weights, and the same again in level 3, increasing some of my weights right the way up to 8lbs for some of the moves I was most familiar with. The trick isn't to show off, but to push your body and keep it difficult, but not so difficult that you can't move the next day.
There are a few moves that, even by the end of level 3 I was still following the easier instructor, the most obvious of which to me was the push-ups. I struggled bigtime initially even with my knees on the floor, but while I now have them down, and all the variations from the 3 levels, I haven't tried it on the balls of my feet yet. I plan to do the shred again, and this time I'm going to try to do push-ups that way.

I've known a few people who have tried the shred. Some gave up immediately after one day at level 1, claiming it was too hard. Others went right through to the end and got incredible results. I knew it was going to be hard, and when it comes to workouts, I don't quit. Which is funny since I quit at almost everything else! So even when I began the DVD at level 1, knowing it would be hard, and feeling like death the next day because of my own mistakes, I kept going.

I definitely, certainly, hugely, whole-heartedly recommend this DVD. I know many people do, and Amazon's reviews speak for themselves, but if you're wondering whether or not to try it, try it. There is a very good reason for all the hype. Yes, it will be hard, most certainly, but you'll adjust and each level will become a little more managable, your stamina will increase surprisingly quickly, and the results at the end are amazing.

Excerpt from my full review on ablackbirdsepiphany.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 25 minutes a day, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
Doing this routine everyday and although I have not lost weight, I have got slimmer and I do feel much fitter and stronger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Even for an unfit 16 Stone lady!, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian definatly shredded me, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
On the 24th Jan 2o11- i started the 3o day shred- made myself a chart with stickers and started level one.
It was a killer {Think your gonna die stay with anita} well i died and came back for 4 weeks on that level-
Now i am doing level one and two together 7 days a week and its GREAT.
Did have slight problem with the knees as some of the exercises at first are tough.
I have paced this out because i am not in a rush. i have been doing this DVD now for 7 weeks and the change is amazing.
I will be doing level 3 in 2 weeks time.
I am 5ft 8ins, had 6 children and before these exercises i was a size 14 weighing 11 1/2 stone, i had a bit of a jelly belly and a muffin top- Now i am back to a size 12, and on the 4th April 2o11 weighed in at 1o stone- jelly belly is flatter muffin tops considerably reduced more defined abs.
My waist is narrower i feel slimmer and look slimmer and feel fitter for it.
My youngest is 4 years old and what really surprised me is that it has taken only 4-6 weeks of exercise to flatten my belly area i should have done this years ago, but you do notice a change as early as week 2.
My Husband started the same time and we have been doing the same routine together- he was 18 stone and now 16 1/2- we have both been very careful with what we have been eating so a good healthy diet with this is more of an advantage.
I am now such a big fan of Jillians DVDs that i have bought 4 more and will gradually go through all of them, i think that once you get the bug you dont want to stop because you can see and feel the difference and if you miss a session you feel guilty.{Like i do}
It is hard and tough and you feel like giving up the first day but DONT, you WILL get THROUGH IT, Jillian is brilliant, as a trainer, she is the best, the way she explains the moves and the details. She is such a proffessional - its Brilliant, it really feels as if she is your own personal trainer, she encourages you and motivates you to carry on.
So have a go - stick with it because if i can do it i know you can.
Once you get past the first week the rest is a BREEZE.
Hi there again- i just thought that id update you- its {5th July 2011)-6months- still exercising now my weight has stuck on {9st 5} this is what i weighed before i had all my children- really pleased- very toned up -No muffin tops- but abs.
I feel much healthier, fitter - i have never ever dieted but only made the extra effort to eat more healthier foods now that we have summer you naturally tend to eat more salads anyway, just cut out the chocs-fizzy drinks and sugary foods, thats what you will notice in the difference.
now have gone through all jillians dvds and my favorite is {No More Trouble Zones Pink DVD} that targets all those bits you hate- its absolutely brilliant.
So go and get the DVDs -stick at it because when its all over or when you have the result you want it will be worth it- it is just amazing - Jillian Micheals is GREAT
Hi again it is now 9th Jan 2o13- still doing the work outs - rotate each dvd so every 3-4 weeks i am doing a different one.
It is just now a permanent daily routine for me- want to keep fit and healthy, for me it is not really about losing the weight as i am now back to my PRE-PREGNANCY shape size 12 -(11}- My Husband put the weight back on but now he is doing Jillians workout again- he is not a dedicated or strict but he will get there in the end.
Just enjoy it and have fun then you will see the rewards of all your hard work.

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]