Colour Name: Orange|Change

This is a superb cat carrier. I have two full grown bengals that fit in it together easily when needs be and the clever design makes putting them in a piece of cake.
There is a front door, of course, but the fact that the lid opens makes it much easier and less of a struggle to put my two moggies in it, and it makes it a lot less distressing for them. In fact they usually just climn in it themselves and all I have to do is shut and secure the lid. This clever design means I can plonk them both in together and not have to go through the battle of putting one in, turning away to catch the other and returning to find the first cat has escaped again.

As I said though, most of the time they just climb in themsleves to investigate the change of scene, as when its not being used for transit to the vet, this houses their water bowl to collect any spillages. The afore mentioned front door also have a tray that you can put treats and food in too (to make journeys at least a little more comfortable for them - but most of the time - for short journeys anyway I don't bother with this, as it can be easily removed and put to one side. If you do decide you need it (say if you're going on a longer journey) it can be accessed easily without opening the whole of the front door and having the cats bolt from the cage and causing a crash as they dive under the car peddles. All you do is open the flap (seen in white in the picture above) and you can pull out the tray (which has 2 seperat sections), fill it with kibble or whatever you want, and then push it back in place.

The front door can be completely removed too, which is how I use mine to hold their water bowl. If I remeber rightly the cage comes with a shoulder strap too but I never use this myself - but another smart feature of the design is the fact that you can secure the carrier in place on a car seat using a seat belt. All you do is thread it throught the handle on the roof and the unit is held firmly and securly in place, making for a much more comfortable ride for the cats (as it's not sliding all over the placewhen you take a corner) and also stops it flying forward should you need to break suddenly. The holdal is make from sturdy plastic, so it's easy to clean and wipe down and the look of it reminds me of the older apple mac computers - so it looks as good as it performs.

I've just returned from the vets tonight (my cats had their boosters) and the vet commented on what a good carrier it was, and how clever it was that the top opened - I'd have to agree. It's oftent the simple ideas that make a big difference in life and this is a perfect example of that. My cats are a year old now, and the breeders I bought them off also commented when I arrived (in Devon) to collect my moggies and take them home with me to Newcastle. A long old drive and it really helped having the food compartment for them then, and it also meant I could give them water if I felt they needed it in there too. The breeders thought it was very clever, and as they travelled to cat show a lot said they were goin to invest in one.

All in all I'm very pleased with this. I think it does it's job superbly and then goes on to offer a whole lot more. And it's nice to know that, as unpleasant as my cats find car journies, at least I can be sure they're as safe as they can be in this and that the whole experience is as pleasant as it can be for them. As far as cat carriers go - I'd have to say it's purrrrrrfect.

If this review has helped you at all please give it a thumbs up - thanks!
0Comment|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There is a front door, of course, but the fact that the lid opens makes it much easier and less of a struggle to put my two moggies in, and it makes it a lot less distressing for them. In fact they usually just climb in it themselves and all I have to do is shut and secure the lid. This clever design means I can plonk them both in together and not have to go through the battle of putting one in, turning away to catch the other and returning to the thing, only to have the first cat has escape again when I open the door.

As I said though, most of the time they just climb in themselves to investigate the change of scene, as when its not being used for transit to the vet, this houses their water bowl to collect any spillages. The afore mentioned front door also have a tray that you can put treats and food in too (to make journeys at least a little more comfortable for them - but most of the time - for short journeys anyway I don't bother with this, as it can be easily removed and put to one side). If you do decide you need to use the food tray accessory (say if you're going on a longer journey), it can be accessed easily without opening the whole of the front door and having the cats bolt from the cage and cause a crash, as they dive under the car peddles; all you do is open the flap (seen in white in the picture above) and you can pull out the tray (which has 2 separate sections), fill it with kibble, water or whatever you want, and then push it back in place.

The front door can be completely removed too, which is how I use mine to hold their water bowl. If I remember rightly the cage comes with a shoulder strap too but I never use this myself. And another smart feature of the design of this thing, is the fact that you can secure the carrier in place on a car seat using a seat belt. All you do is thread it through the handle on the roof and the unit is held firmly and securely in place, making for a much more comfortable ride for the cats (as it's not sliding all over the place when you take a corner) and also stops it flying forward should you need to break suddenly. The holdall is made from sturdy plastic, so it's easy to clean and wipe down and the look of it reminds me of the older apple mac computers - so it looks as good as it performs.

I've just returned from the vets tonight (my cats had their boosters) and the vet commented on what a good carrier it was, and how clever it was that the top opened - I'd have to agree. It's often the simple ideas that make a big difference in life and this is a perfect example of that. My cats are a year old now, and the breeders I bought them off also commented when I arrived (in Devon) to collect my furry minions and take them home with me to Newcastle; a long old drive and it really helped having the food compartment for them then, and it also meant I could give them water if I felt they needed it too. The breeders thought it was very clever as well, and as they travelled to cat shows a lot, they said they were going to invest in one... or three.

I actually have the grey and orange version myself Hagen Catit Design Pet Cargo Cabrio Cat Carrier Orange(being a bloke with 2 'ikkle-wickle-puddy-cats' I get enough micky taking without carrying them around in a pink carrier) and the fact it comes unassembled isn't a problem - and let's face it - us fellas like a bit of DIY (even if we are a bit soppy when it comes to our pets). Anyway, it's dead easy to put together - the woman who wrote the review below is just being lazy. It's literally click-click done. All in all I'm very pleased with this. I think it does it's job superbly and then goes on to offer a whole lot more. And it's nice to know that, as unpleasant as my cats find car journeys, at least I can be sure they're as safe as they can be in this and that the whole experience is as pleasant as it can be for them. As far as cat carriers go - I'd have to say it's purrrrrrfect.

If this review has helped you at all please give it a thumbs up - thanks!
88 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2011
The Catit Cabrio cat carrier is fantastic! It came well packaged and was very easy to put together - in fact it snapped together in less than five minutes. It's a good size (even for my large cat) and the design is well thought out. There's a front door made of perspex which opens from the outside and has a handy catch to stop your little escape artist doing just that. Or, if you have problems getting your cat into the box, the top opens up so that you can pop them in that way. It's well ventilated and I love the fact that I can clip it into a seatbelt to provide added stability when taking the cat on car journeys. The food/water tray is a great idea and the hatch opens easily from the outside so that you can refresh the trays or even put your hand through to reassure your cat without worrying about them getting loose.

Unlike my previous cat carrier, which inspired terror in the mog within minutes of it's appearance, the Catit provoked only curiosity when assembled. Her initial apprehension soon faded and she clambered in via the open top to have a look. Any fears were chased further away ith the introduction of some food and water via the handy hatch and she was quite happy to sit in the Catit and let me close the top - a feat unheard of before now! She seemed quite calm whilst I carried her around and didn't seem at all bothered when I carted her around the house in the Catit. I'm looking forward to less stressful motoring from now on - for both of us. :)
on 26 May 2013
There was a little door in my old carrier box. Not a nice cardboard box. Not a fun box. A box that made the world spin round and the noisy engine go. I couldn't see out. I cried in that box. Sometimes I wet myself.

Dogs might not mind that, they drool and wet themselves, but I am feline! I am better than that.

I concluded from this that my human is really stupid. Like a dog. With less legs.

The humiliation of a wet blanket made me sink my teeth into the injector man when rescued from my soggy carrier. Then I cried all the way home. Then I wet myself. Then I hid under the bed. For a whole day.

Wetting yourself outside the litter tray is disgusting.

It's what the dog does.

And the dog is bad.

Then the new Cabrio came.

It has an open top. It is like the sort of box I like. I like sitting in it. All the time. The other cat (plainly inferior to me, but at least a cat) sits in it. Even the dog sat in it. He was too big and bulged out of the side.

Because the dog is stupid.

But the Cabrio is not stupid.

I sat in it. The lid closed but I could see out. I went in the noisy moving thing. The strap thing stopped the Cabrio sliding. The door thing had water. Water in a bowl is good. Water in my bed is bad. But there was no water in my bed. I did not wet myself. I did not cry. I was not crammed in against my will. When I got to the injector man's house I was in the best mood ever. I only scratched him once. I got home and strolled around. I smacked the dog. Hard. I was on top form.

I felt good.

I am better than the dog.

And now I can prove it.

Buy this cat carrier. It lets a cat be a cat.

And cats are good.

I think my human has some sense after all. Better than the dog. Not as brainy as a cat. But brainy enough to buy this.

Gizmo, aged 5.
1616 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2013
The carrier is a bit awkward to assemble but the cat loved it once in it. However the reason I bought this carrier was to travel to Spain, I arrived at Gatwick Airport to be told that this carrier in no way conformed to the IATA regulations for shipping live animals. The crate does not have one side or door completely given to ventilation and the hinges are not metal,the only thing that conformed was the food and water dishes !!! I then had the added expense and stress of buying a new carrier at the airport. PLEASE not make the same mistake as I did of trusting the advertising material without checking the regulations. I believe that the words " airline approved " to be very misleading ,as quite clearly not the case.
99 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2014
I have had two of these through various suppliers for my Norwegian Forest Cats ( and Cavapoo when she was a puppy) and whilst I initially thought they were a good design opening at the top and front have found they are of poor quality when it comes to hinges and ventilation.

On the occasions I used it with my NFCs they went into heat distress and I had to take them out of the carrier, this despite the overall car temperature being well within ambient range - in fact I had it on max chill to help cool them down both in and immediately after removing them.

Apart from that I aso found the front door hinges and latches on both carriers I had broke after two or three uses which makes them totally useless as they're not repairable.

I ended up purchasing wire cages with base trays, similar to what you see on a lot of animal rescue TV shows and am a lot happier with them even if they're only top loading. At least my cats now don't go into heat distress and I can easily throw a blanket/towel over the cage to give them privacy. That and when I've left these wire ones the cats have enjoyed playing/lazing in them as well!
review image review image
on 7 June 2012
We have got 5 cats and 2 rabbits and two of our cats have got chronic health issues so we have to go to the vet quite often, sometimes several times a week.

Pros:
Extremely well thought out
* tool box type top flips open and allows full access to carrier, either to put the animal in or take it without fuzz. For routine check ups or injections the cat can actually stay in the carrier at the vets. It also allows you to get your arm in to comfort your pet and if - like some of ours- they aren't likely to jump out at the vets you can open half of the top whilst waiting and give them a little (or big) cuddle. It's a massive improvement even over the more traditional carriers that have a top opening as essentially the lid is fully out of the way but you can close it quickly by flipping up the sides rather than having to fully put it on first (whilst fumbling with clips)

* no weird, flimsy door opening knob/ button turn thingies. (we used to have the standard grill fronted carriers with 8 clips around and 4 wing lock thingies at the top and bottom of the door). Just one little spring action latch closes this one.
* extra wide front door, easy to get cat or rabbit in / out and it also comes off completely if you wanted to use it as their bed.

* Perspex door, so the animal can see out without restrictions yet it can't stick it's paws out etc so it's much safer.

* Urine run off grooves. I case the towel slips the cat will still not be standing in a puddle of wee as they would with regular a flat bottom carrier (we have had way too many cases of that in the past and it really freaks them out)

* Integrated handle (it's a part of the two lid halves) so it can't come off. Athough we never had that issue before a lady who saw the cat cabrio at the vet asked us where it coud eb bought as she has issues with a heavy cat and the handle falling off her carrier.

* No flimsy, fiddly clips ( that always fall off and get lost)

* Carrier strap ( allows you to take weight on the shoulder and stabilize it with your hands. We use a very short strap with the carrier in front of our chest as if we were holding it up , but the weight is on the shoulder and it's a lot less shaky for the cat than the usual handles with the cat hanging down by your side and it's much easier than actually having to hold a regular carrier up in front of your chest (comes in handy when you have got a chubby ginger cat ;))

* food trays ( haven't needed those yet but this will come in handy for our rabbits as they always have to have food available when they travel longer distances). The food bowls can be removed and the area is closed with a flip lid so you can access the bowls without having to open the carrier .

* air vents : are nice and plenty and arranged slat stile ( like an open venetian blind) so they give both the top and bottom extra rigidity. They are also horizontal rather than vertical making it much easier for the cats to look out at all sides of the carrier both when standing up and laying down.

* the front door can be locked and so can the handle ( you just put a padlock around both halves so they can't be opened) , this might come in handy when you fly with your pet, if you were really worried about your pet braking out you could also just close it with cable tie or a strip of velcro.

Cons:
* It is a pretty heavy carrier but than it has a full door ( instead of mesh) and is a lot more substantial than other carriers. I guess you can't really have one without the other.

* The lid halves do not always drop perfectly back into place when you close them and you may need to squeeze one end in a little for them to align perfectly ( so you can close the top clasps) This is the case with BOTH our carriers so I guess it may be the case with all of them. It's still a lot less fiddly than a standard carrier.

* the front door is easy to close and open but as the door is removable ( it's basically mounted with a lift off hinge) it doesn't always align 100% and as you close it you may want to pull it ever so slightly downwards ( bottom left corner) . It's really just a matter of getting the hang of it (check the door didn't slide up the hinge in case you have got issues getting it to close)

* it can't really be taken apart for storage... Our other current carriers can be disassembled and the top can be turned over to rest in the bottom tray with the front grill in between. That way 5 carriers stacked up take up no more room than one assembled carrier on it's own. Even if you did take off the lid you'd still be left with a bottom tray that has the door frame ( the "orange bit") screwed to it , so you can't stack them. To the average person it probably doesn't matter that much, if like us you like to have a carrier for all your pets (just in case of a zombie attack or alien invasion ...) than you better have a big shed, garage or attic ..

general:
Regarding the comment made by another reviewer about their cat escaping, whilst I understand the HORROR of the situation I would say this has to be due to human error. There is no way the door could open on it's own or the cat could open it from the inside unless it wasn't properly closed in the first place . It's easy to give the door a quick wiggle to see if it's properly shut and the chances of this carriers door opening are no more (probably much less) than one of the grille doors of a standard carrier coming undone

Whilst we were pretty happy with our Wilkinsons carriers these are a whole different story and even with the few disadvantages (really mostly the fact that they can't be stacked) I would not buy another carrier again. The cats seem much calmer, transport and treatment are much easier and you can really tell that whoever designed this thing tried to avoid all of the issues you get with standard carriers.

If you do not own a carrier yet do look no further, at this price (at time of review the orange version cost 25 GBP) it's an extremely well spent extra 10 pounds (over a cheap Wilko carrier) and it's actually cheaper than the inferior carriers you can buy from Pets at Home etc. If you already have a carrier but need to transport your per often than it would be a very well invested £25 also.
on 25 November 2013
My old carrier had cracked and I needed a carrier in a hurry and stupidly when it said 5 mins left to receive it by the following day, I decided on it.

I certainly don't think it is suitable as a carrier on an aircraft by the construction of it. The front could easily get knocked or even broken. It wasn't too difficult to assemble although I didn't like the way the top joint gaped slightly and when I gave it a gentle thump, the front became loose. It is too involved sending anything back and so I am stuck with it. It is quite heavy without a cat in it and if anyone were to use the shoulder strap could likely end up at the osteopath. I have actually wound the strap around the handle several times and attached the ends to the provided loops in the plastic back and front purely to stop the thing falling apart should it get knocked, ie. the front falling off. The front door is inclined to catch and so does not close straight away. I have made an "S" type metal thingy to put through the loops to ensure that the door doesn't open as well.

I actually hate the colour of it, and think those at the vet will have a jolly good laugh at it, as it looks like a cross between an old style portable television and a National Express coach. I should have actually given it one star as I hate it but thought that was a little unfair to malign something just because of my feelings about it.
on 1 August 2014
The headline says "Airline Approved" - we bought it solely on this basis. It was not approved with our airline, who are Virgin Atlantic. The IATA has regulations that state the front door needs to be wire mesh, not plastic. Also the door has to have spring loaded bolts in the roof and base to qualify, which this doesn't have. Also we were told this unit does not have adequate ventilation to qualify. Failed on almost every count...

If it was sold as just a nice funky, quite roomy cat carrier, fine - I think for taking the cat to the vet it's great. The top loading aspect was top drawer - i've never got our cat so easily in to a carrier than with this feature. However, it is described explicitly as AIRLINE APPROVED, and it 100% is NOT, and therefore it is falsely advertising itself and should be removed from sale under this description and re-listed once described accurately. It should get zero stars for failing to be the product it describes in a very literal, subjective sense, but alas...

The manufacturer are culpable in this as their own product description is fictitious with respect to airline approval. Very poor form.
on 28 August 2013
The review a little lower down the page may be slightly misleading to some, or confusing to others. My wife and I recently moved from the UK to Thailand for work, but couldn't bare to leave our cat at home with family or worse, give her to another home. So, we decided to take her.

To start with, getting the correct information about what our cat needed and what the cage had to be like was a nightmare, nobody, including DEFRA, gave us a straight answer. In the end we bought this cage, as it says air line approved and hoped for the best.

To cut a long, long, long story short, this cage is perfectly acceptable as an air carrier. As long as the carrier is going on as CHECKED BAGGAGE. This means the cage will go below the plane in a heated compartment especially for animals etc. Animals can go on as checked baggage if they are cats/rabbits/small dogs etc, but larger animals will not be accepted in this area, and will need to travel as CARGO.
Which obviously, this cage will not be suited for.

The cage itself was ok, but not great. The materials are solid enough, it's just the way it fits together leaves a little to be desired. Our cat came through fine, and she didn't seemed to fazed at all by the 11 hour flight, and was back to normal once we got to our new home.

If anyone is going through this process I would be happy to lend any advice, as it is a bit of hassle.