5.0 out of 5 stars Makes carrying cats in saftey & comfort a breeze
This is a superb cat carrier. I have two full grown bengals that fit in it together easily when needs be and the clever design makes putting them in a piece of cake.
Published on 25 Aug 2010 by The Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT IATA approved pet carrier AIRLINES WILL NOT CARRY THIS
Published 15 months ago by jane harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes carrying cats in saftey & comfort a breeze, 25 Aug 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier Flight/ Airline Approved, Orange/ Grey/ White (Misc.)
There is a front door, of course, but the fact that the lid opens makes it much easier and less of a struggle to put my two moggies in it, and it makes it a lot less distressing for them. In fact they usually just climn in it themselves and all I have to do is shut and secure the lid. This clever design means I can plonk them both in together and not have to go through the battle of putting one in, turning away to catch the other and returning to find the first cat has escaped again.

As I said though, most of the time they just climb in themsleves to investigate the change of scene, as when its not being used for transit to the vet, this houses their water bowl to collect any spillages. The afore mentioned front door also have a tray that you can put treats and food in too (to make journeys at least a little more comfortable for them - but most of the time - for short journeys anyway I don't bother with this, as it can be easily removed and put to one side. If you do decide you need it (say if you're going on a longer journey) it can be accessed easily without opening the whole of the front door and having the cats bolt from the cage and causing a crash as they dive under the car peddles. All you do is open the flap (seen in white in the picture above) and you can pull out the tray (which has 2 seperat sections), fill it with kibble or whatever you want, and then push it back in place.

The front door can be completely removed too, which is how I use mine to hold their water bowl. If I remeber rightly the cage comes with a shoulder strap too but I never use this myself - but another smart feature of the design is the fact that you can secure the carrier in place on a car seat using a seat belt. All you do is thread it throught the handle on the roof and the unit is held firmly and securly in place, making for a much more comfortable ride for the cats (as it's not sliding all over the placewhen you take a corner) and also stops it flying forward should you need to break suddenly. The holdal is make from sturdy plastic, so it's easy to clean and wipe down and the look of it reminds me of the older apple mac computers - so it looks as good as it performs.

I've just returned from the vets tonight (my cats had their boosters) and the vet commented on what a good carrier it was, and how clever it was that the top opened - I'd have to agree. It's oftent the simple ideas that make a big difference in life and this is a perfect example of that. My cats are a year old now, and the breeders I bought them off also commented when I arrived (in Devon) to collect my moggies and take them home with me to Newcastle. A long old drive and it really helped having the food compartment for them then, and it also meant I could give them water if I felt they needed it in there too. The breeders thought it was very clever, and as they travelled to cat show a lot said they were goin to invest in one.

All in all I'm very pleased with this. I think it does it's job superbly and then goes on to offer a whole lot more. And it's nice to know that, as unpleasant as my cats find car journies, at least I can be sure they're as safe as they can be in this and that the whole experience is as pleasant as it can be for them. As far as cat carriers go - I'd have to say it's purrrrrrfect.

If this review has helped you at all please give it a thumbs up - thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, solid carrier, shell top a great design feature, 26 May 2013
There was a little door in my old carrier box. Not a nice cardboard box. Not a fun box. A box that made the world spin round and the noisy engine go. I couldn't see out. I cried in that box. Sometimes I wet myself.

Dogs might not mind that, they drool and wet themselves, but I am feline! I am better than that.

I concluded from this that my human is really stupid. Like a dog. With less legs.

The humiliation of a wet blanket made me sink my teeth into the injector man when rescued from my soggy carrier. Then I cried all the way home. Then I wet myself. Then I hid under the bed. For a whole day.

Wetting yourself outside the litter tray is disgusting.

It's what the dog does.

And the dog is bad.

Then the new Cabrio came.

It has an open top. It is like the sort of box I like. I like sitting in it. All the time. The other cat (plainly inferior to me, but at least a cat) sits in it. Even the dog sat in it. He was too big and bulged out of the side.

Because the dog is stupid.

But the Cabrio is not stupid.

I sat in it. The lid closed but I could see out. I went in the noisy moving thing. The strap thing stopped the Cabrio sliding. The door thing had water. Water in a bowl is good. Water in my bed is bad. But there was no water in my bed. I did not wet myself. I did not cry. I was not crammed in against my will. When I got to the injector man's house I was in the best mood ever. I only scratched him once. I got home and strolled around. I smacked the dog. Hard. I was on top form.

I felt good.

I am better than the dog.

And now I can prove it.

Buy this cat carrier. It lets a cat be a cat.

And cats are good.

I think my human has some sense after all. Better than the dog. Not as brainy as a cat. But brainy enough to buy this.

Gizmo, aged 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hagen Catit Cat Cabrio, 24 May 2011
Ishkhara (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The Catit Cabrio cat carrier is fantastic! It came well packaged and was very easy to put together - in fact it snapped together in less than five minutes. It's a good size (even for my large cat) and the design is well thought out. There's a front door made of perspex which opens from the outside and has a handy catch to stop your little escape artist doing just that. Or, if you have problems getting your cat into the box, the top opens up so that you can pop them in that way. It's well ventilated and I love the fact that I can clip it into a seatbelt to provide added stability when taking the cat on car journeys. The food/water tray is a great idea and the hatch opens easily from the outside so that you can refresh the trays or even put your hand through to reassure your cat without worrying about them getting loose.

Unlike my previous cat carrier, which inspired terror in the mog within minutes of it's appearance, the Catit provoked only curiosity when assembled. Her initial apprehension soon faded and she clambered in via the open top to have a look. Any fears were chased further away ith the introduction of some food and water via the handy hatch and she was quite happy to sit in the Catit and let me close the top - a feat unheard of before now! She seemed quite calm whilst I carried her around and didn't seem at all bothered when I carted her around the house in the Catit. I'm looking forward to less stressful motoring from now on - for both of us. :)

The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There is a front door, of course, but the fact that the lid opens makes it much easier and less of a struggle to put my two moggies in, and it makes it a lot less distressing for them. In fact they usually just climb in it themselves and all I have to do is shut and secure the lid. This clever design means I can plonk them both in together and not have to go through the battle of putting one in, turning away to catch the other and returning to the thing, only to have the first cat has escape again when I open the door.

As I said though, most of the time they just climb in themselves to investigate the change of scene, as when its not being used for transit to the vet, this houses their water bowl to collect any spillages. The afore mentioned front door also have a tray that you can put treats and food in too (to make journeys at least a little more comfortable for them - but most of the time - for short journeys anyway I don't bother with this, as it can be easily removed and put to one side). If you do decide you need to use the food tray accessory (say if you're going on a longer journey), it can be accessed easily without opening the whole of the front door and having the cats bolt from the cage and cause a crash, as they dive under the car peddles; all you do is open the flap (seen in white in the picture above) and you can pull out the tray (which has 2 separate sections), fill it with kibble, water or whatever you want, and then push it back in place.

The front door can be completely removed too, which is how I use mine to hold their water bowl. If I remember rightly the cage comes with a shoulder strap too but I never use this myself. And another smart feature of the design of this thing, is the fact that you can secure the carrier in place on a car seat using a seat belt. All you do is thread it through the handle on the roof and the unit is held firmly and securely in place, making for a much more comfortable ride for the cats (as it's not sliding all over the place when you take a corner) and also stops it flying forward should you need to break suddenly. The holdall is made from sturdy plastic, so it's easy to clean and wipe down and the look of it reminds me of the older apple mac computers - so it looks as good as it performs.

I've just returned from the vets tonight (my cats had their boosters) and the vet commented on what a good carrier it was, and how clever it was that the top opened - I'd have to agree. It's often the simple ideas that make a big difference in life and this is a perfect example of that. My cats are a year old now, and the breeders I bought them off also commented when I arrived (in Devon) to collect my furry minions and take them home with me to Newcastle; a long old drive and it really helped having the food compartment for them then, and it also meant I could give them water if I felt they needed it too. The breeders thought it was very clever as well, and as they travelled to cat shows a lot, they said they were going to invest in one... or three.

I actually have the grey and orange version myself Hagen Catit Design Pet Cargo Cabrio Cat Carrier Orange(being a bloke with 2 'ikkle-wickle-puddy-cats' I get enough micky taking without carrying them around in a pink carrier) and the fact it comes unassembled isn't a problem - and let's face it - us fellas like a bit of DIY (even if we are a bit soppy when it comes to our pets). Anyway, it's dead easy to put together - the woman who wrote the review below is just being lazy. It's literally click-click done. All in all I'm very pleased with this. I think it does it's job superbly and then goes on to offer a whole lot more. And it's nice to know that, as unpleasant as my cats find car journeys, at least I can be sure they're as safe as they can be in this and that the whole experience is as pleasant as it can be for them. As far as cat carriers go - I'd have to say it's purrrrrrfect.

If this review has helped you at all please give it a thumbs up - thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! look no further!, 7 Jun 2012
We have got 5 cats and 2 rabbits and two of our cats have got chronic health issues so we have to go to the vet quite often, sometimes several times a week.

Pros:
Extremely well thought out
* tool box type top flips open and allows full access to carrier, either to put the animal in or take it without fuzz. For routine check ups or injections the cat can actually stay in the carrier at the vets. It also allows you to get your arm in to comfort your pet and if - like some of ours- they aren't likely to jump out at the vets you can open half of the top whilst waiting and give them a little (or big) cuddle. It's a massive improvement even over the more traditional carriers that have a top opening as essentially the lid is fully out of the way but you can close it quickly by flipping up the sides rather than having to fully put it on first (whilst fumbling with clips)

* no weird, flimsy door opening knob/ button turn thingies. (we used to have the standard grill fronted carriers with 8 clips around and 4 wing lock thingies at the top and bottom of the door). Just one little spring action latch closes this one.
* extra wide front door, easy to get cat or rabbit in / out and it also comes off completely if you wanted to use it as their bed.

* Perspex door, so the animal can see out without restrictions yet it can't stick it's paws out etc so it's much safer.

* Urine run off grooves. I case the towel slips the cat will still not be standing in a puddle of wee as they would with regular a flat bottom carrier (we have had way too many cases of that in the past and it really freaks them out)

* Integrated handle (it's a part of the two lid halves) so it can't come off. Athough we never had that issue before a lady who saw the cat cabrio at the vet asked us where it coud eb bought as she has issues with a heavy cat and the handle falling off her carrier.

* No flimsy, fiddly clips ( that always fall off and get lost)

* Carrier strap ( allows you to take weight on the shoulder and stabilize it with your hands. We use a very short strap with the carrier in front of our chest as if we were holding it up , but the weight is on the shoulder and it's a lot less shaky for the cat than the usual handles with the cat hanging down by your side and it's much easier than actually having to hold a regular carrier up in front of your chest (comes in handy when you have got a chubby ginger cat ;))

* food trays ( haven't needed those yet but this will come in handy for our rabbits as they always have to have food available when they travel longer distances). The food bowls can be removed and the area is closed with a flip lid so you can access the bowls without having to open the carrier .

* air vents : are nice and plenty and arranged slat stile ( like an open venetian blind) so they give both the top and bottom extra rigidity. They are also horizontal rather than vertical making it much easier for the cats to look out at all sides of the carrier both when standing up and laying down.

* the front door can be locked and so can the handle ( you just put a padlock around both halves so they can't be opened) , this might come in handy when you fly with your pet, if you were really worried about your pet braking out you could also just close it with cable tie or a strip of velcro.

Cons:
* It is a pretty heavy carrier but than it has a full door ( instead of mesh) and is a lot more substantial than other carriers. I guess you can't really have one without the other.

* The lid halves do not always drop perfectly back into place when you close them and you may need to squeeze one end in a little for them to align perfectly ( so you can close the top clasps) This is the case with BOTH our carriers so I guess it may be the case with all of them. It's still a lot less fiddly than a standard carrier.

* the front door is easy to close and open but as the door is removable ( it's basically mounted with a lift off hinge) it doesn't always align 100% and as you close it you may want to pull it ever so slightly downwards ( bottom left corner) . It's really just a matter of getting the hang of it (check the door didn't slide up the hinge in case you have got issues getting it to close)

* it can't really be taken apart for storage... Our other current carriers can be disassembled and the top can be turned over to rest in the bottom tray with the front grill in between. That way 5 carriers stacked up take up no more room than one assembled carrier on it's own. Even if you did take off the lid you'd still be left with a bottom tray that has the door frame ( the "orange bit") screwed to it , so you can't stack them. To the average person it probably doesn't matter that much, if like us you like to have a carrier for all your pets (just in case of a zombie attack or alien invasion ...) than you better have a big shed, garage or attic ..

general:
Regarding the comment made by another reviewer about their cat escaping, whilst I understand the HORROR of the situation I would say this has to be due to human error. There is no way the door could open on it's own or the cat could open it from the inside unless it wasn't properly closed in the first place . It's easy to give the door a quick wiggle to see if it's properly shut and the chances of this carriers door opening are no more (probably much less) than one of the grille doors of a standard carrier coming undone

Whilst we were pretty happy with our Wilkinsons carriers these are a whole different story and even with the few disadvantages (really mostly the fact that they can't be stacked) I would not buy another carrier again. The cats seem much calmer, transport and treatment are much easier and you can really tell that whoever designed this thing tried to avoid all of the issues you get with standard carriers.

If you do not own a carrier yet do look no further, at this price (at time of review the orange version cost 25 GBP) it's an extremely well spent extra 10 pounds (over a cheap Wilko carrier) and it's actually cheaper than the inferior carriers you can buy from Pets at Home etc. If you already have a carrier but need to transport your per often than it would be a very well invested 25 also.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT IATA approved pet carrier AIRLINES WILL NOT CARRY THIS, 11 April 2013
The carrier is a bit awkward to assemble but the cat loved it once in it. However the reason I bought this carrier was to travel to Spain, I arrived at Gatwick Airport to be told that this carrier in no way conformed to the IATA regulations for shipping live animals. The crate does not have one side or door completely given to ventilation and the hinges are not metal,the only thing that conformed was the food and water dishes !!! I then had the added expense and stress of buying a new carrier at the airport. PLEASE not make the same mistake as I did of trusting the advertising material without checking the regulations. I believe that the words " airline approved " to be very misleading ,as quite clearly not the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable for Air Travel - Although not as Cargo, 28 Aug 2013
The review a little lower down the page may be slightly misleading to some, or confusing to others. My wife and I recently moved from the UK to Thailand for work, but couldn't bare to leave our cat at home with family or worse, give her to another home. So, we decided to take her.

To start with, getting the correct information about what our cat needed and what the cage had to be like was a nightmare, nobody, including DEFRA, gave us a straight answer. In the end we bought this cage, as it says air line approved and hoped for the best.

To cut a long, long, long story short, this cage is perfectly acceptable as an air carrier. As long as the carrier is going on as CHECKED BAGGAGE. This means the cage will go below the plane in a heated compartment especially for animals etc. Animals can go on as checked baggage if they are cats/rabbits/small dogs etc, but larger animals will not be accepted in this area, and will need to travel as CARGO.
Which obviously, this cage will not be suited for.

The cage itself was ok, but not great. The materials are solid enough, it's just the way it fits together leaves a little to be desired. Our cat came through fine, and she didn't seemed to fazed at all by the 11 hour flight, and was back to normal once we got to our new home.

If anyone is going through this process I would be happy to lend any advice, as it is a bit of hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars pet carrier, 16 Jun 2010
Mrs. Lois Pain (London) - See all my reviews
Really good practical pet carrier. My two kittens fit in comfortably and they can see out but are still protected. It's easy to assemble too, and I love the pink!

1.0 out of 5 stars not sturdy & top does not close easily, 4 Jan 2013
After discovering how to assemble it. It is not as sturdy as advertised & do not believe it will hold any banging if it was to be used to transport a pet in a plane.

The side door is nice & easy to open. The top access is very fiddly to open & does not close easily. The panels did not meet together, were out of place, very difficult to shut. This is either a faulty item or a design issue. What ever the case, I have returned this item & will be buying another more sturdy carrier where the top panel can be opened easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury space-age carrier, 5 Aug 2011
I must admit, I like this very much. I bought it because my cat has to go to the vet's a lot as she has an on-going condition, and I felt bad about keeping on stuffing her into our old pet caddy. I chose this because it's roomy and has a door the cat can see out of, and it's exceeded my expectations. There's lots of room for her inside, so she can curl up and snooze, so would be great for extended periods of travel, specially since you can give the cat food and water without opening the caddy. It also has the big advantage that you can easily secure it with the seat-belt, which means I can have the caddy on the passenger seat next to me so I can reassure Tigger during the car ride. It's a bit heavier than some carriers, but has a shoulder strap which works beautifully, so you can use the strap to take the weight and the handle on top to steady it while you're walking. It's also very easy to get the cat into, since the top opens right up. It does have to be assembled at home, but that's no problem, it's very quick and easy and the instructions are simple to follow. It's been much admired since I've started using it, both by my cat-sitter and by the staff at the vets. Definitely a good purchase and well worth the money.