5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!
Published 14 months ago by Silex

Published 1 month ago by Andrew Ballard

5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!, 10 Dec. 2013
OMG!! My old system of stacks had died and I literally spent months researching various options to replace my old faithful. I liked the idea that the Sonos system would stream anywhere in the house and even play different music in different rooms, which would mean my wife could enjoy something different in one room while I was listening to something else in another room. But I must admit I was wary, technology and I are not terribly compatible, idiot proof usually makes me feel like... Well, an idiot!

All things carefully considered I decided to take the plunge and attempt to move with the times, after all I have a pretty extensive digital music library. I ordered a bridge and a Play 5. My order arrived swiftly and I downloaded the Sonos App, plugged everything in and... Nothing! The App repeatedly told me there was no Sonos system to connect to and I was left feeling like the afore mentioned techno idiot! After much messing about I decided to skip the bridge and connected directly to the Play 5 by plugging it straight into the router. Techno idiot no more! The sound was amazing, I was completely blown away.

The next day I phoned Sonos Support and explained my problem with the bridge. I have to say the Sonos Support Team are second to none, friendly, helpful, and the patience of saints - taking into account they were dealing with Techno Idiot! The bridge required a factory reset and a software upgrade which got everything going. Then they transferred my entire music library to the bridge for me, no short task. After an hour on the phone the system was up and running beautifully and I was in seventh heaven. An hour later the system crashed! I was more than disappointed, but next day I was back on the phone to the friendly support team who got me running again and explained that I might have to reset my router if it did it again. Resetting the router consisted of turning it off and then back on again and that was exactly what I had to do every day at least once.

After a week of this I was seriously thinking of packing the lot up and sending it back. An email to the Sonos CEO was swiftly answered and followed up with several telephone calls from a senior technician who was able to analyse my Sonos system and identify the problem, which I hasten to add was not down to the Sonos system at all, but my crappy BT Router. At this point I would expect most companies to wash their hands of the whole problem, after all it wasn't their doing, not so Sonos. Following the advice given I purchased an Apple Time Capsule (my choice, there were various options, but I'm a Mac user) and Sonos were back on the phone to set the whole system up for me. The sound quality is out of this world, the support is out of this world and I really cannot fault the Sonos Team. I am a total convert, having just placed an order for a second Play 5, there will be more Sonos purchases to follow over the next few months. If you have any doubts about taking the plunge, don't worry, Team Sonos will be there for you should things not go quite as well as you might have hoped - and trust me, they couldn't be much worse than my initial experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted- it 'just works', 7 Sept. 2012
After looking at all sorts of options for streaming my music I settled on this.
I pulled the wireless bridge (sold seperately) out of the box, attached it to my router and plugged it in.
Next I plugged the play 5 in.
Next I downloaded the Sonos app from the AppStore to my iPad.
Next I opened the app and clicked on setup system.
Next I selected to add a component and held the button down on the wireless bridge for a few seconds.
Next I selected to add another component and pressed the buttons down on the play 5 for a few seconds and it connected.
The system is now fully set up. It just works. If I want to put up to 32 speakers in the house all I have to do is press add component, and hold down the button on the unit.
However you then want to get music onto it. I have Spotify premium ( 9.99 a month but so worth it) and so selected Spotify, entered my password and username and it works. Streaming millions of songs, instantly in 320k quality.
I could set it to share all my music on the computer in iTunes. All you have to do is click on the cog on The Sonos app, then on shares and select the public folder on the computer.
However, instead I bought a WD Mybook Live, plugged it into my router, copied the music to that and shared that folder in Sonos and it just plays it straight off this Nas drive.
The sound quality on the Play 5 is lovely. I upped the bass 2 notches and treble about 5 notches on the Sonos equaliser app. Sound is clear, nicely balanced and very detailed- this is top quality kit and the sound fills the average UK lounge no problem.
Apple could have made this kit- does not really need instructions, very well made, and again, it just works.
You get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality hampered by reliability, 30 April 2011
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
OK I think on balance, taking into account all the reviews, we can take it as a given that the Sonos S5 is something quite special. While I cannot disagree with the consensus of opinion why have I given it 4 stars instead of 5?

In a word RELIABILITY. I live in an average house in average conditions with no children and yet on three occasions have had to have replacement Sonos components within the guarantee period. This is too frequent an occurrence to be bad luck.

The first S5 suddenly lost its ability to produce any bass response within the first 6 months. After the usual factory reset it still failed to perform so I had to invoke a replacement unit within the warranty period.

The second problem occurred with the very expensive Sonos controller which developed a touch-screen fault. Part of the display failed to respond to touch commands. Once again I had to request a replacement.

The third occasion was the same problem as the first - the sudden inability to produce a bass response after 10 months of working flawlessly. This time the problem was suffered by my other S5 unit, located in a different part of the house and was purchased at a different retailer from the first.

So in summary - out of 4 Sonos components only the ZoneBridge has not let me down. Not a good track record is it?

These days manufacturers have their products 'Made in China' purely because it is cheaper and it vastly increases their profit margin. Unfortunately in my experience components have a much higher tendency to break down be it intermittent electrical faults, failure of rechargeable batteries or transformer failures. They just don't have the longevity expected of them.

Sonos are a very good company and have no hesitation in quickly responding and replacing faulty products. But what lifetime can I expect of these products? It doesn't bode well.

***** UPDATE 11 July 2011 - The replacement Controller 200 now refuses to hold its charge - although still under guarantee it is yet another instance of UNRELIABILITY that lets Sonos down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whilst the convenience was nice, the sound quality was utterly lacking, 12 Jan. 2015
Andrew Ballard (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:5 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly S5) (Electronics)
Whilst the convenience was nice, the sound quality was utterly lacking, serious issue with bass being either too bloomy, port chuffing or too emphasized at low volumes depending on the music played, EQ options very limited and inflexible. Very sensitive to placement. Connection could drop at times also, or songs suddenly stop, though that may be a failing of my own network. The line out also seems rather low quality, so hooking it up to your hifi and trying to use it like a connect just won't give good results.

It's a well designed modern lifestyle product with a pretty good software interface, that is suitable for background noise, but even a modest hifi setup costing the same or less will absolutely obliterate it sound quality wise. Objectively speaking it's very lacking in the basics, music that isn't just a collection of synths and bass sounds fragmented and utterly weird - In this regard, I found it too much of a compromise, £350 for half decent background music is just too much. The sonos play 1 may be more inline with what i'm after, simple, portable music streaming without the pretension to being high quality.

*******************************************************

Have since returned this, have to commend Amazon on their faultless returns service.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant purchase - put more music in your life, 13 Jan. 2015
*I USE THIS SONOS PLAY 5 SPEAKER WITHOUT A SONOS BRIDGE.
I was unclear to me whether the bridge was required or not - some people told me that I did need it, other people told me that I didn't. My Sonos speaker connected to my home wifi network easily and quickly WITHOUT a bridge.

This speaker is absolutely brilliant. I plugged it in, downloaded the Sonos app to my iphone, and the app guided me through the setup process. I registered my Spotify Premium account and my Amazon Music player account, and was playing music through the speaker within five minutes.

The sound really impressed me first of all. The bass is especially amazing, and overall sound quality is full and clear. The sound fills my living room and sounds awesome.

The speaker is also a lot smaller, but heavier than I expected it to be. It looks great, and feels well made and of good quality. You can also keep the Sonos system plugged in and switched on all the time. It sits silently until you tell it to play something.

The Play 5 also comes with an audio input cable for you to connect an ipod or other audio source.

An additional feature of the Sonos system is you can set up an alarm to play music when you want.

The first night we had the Sonos, we put off the TV and just sat and talked with some music on in the background for our toddler to listen to. Spotify has a lullaby album version of the songs from the movie Frozen, along with lots of other nursery rhymes for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos S5, 24 Dec. 2009
Having used a Squeezebox system for a couple of years, I decided to upgrade to what must be the 'gold standard' for wireless hi fi. The S5 is part of a wider Sonos system at my home (S5, bridges, zone players and the CR200).

Firstly the software interface for the PC is much more user-friendly than the Squeezebox (which is rather clunky in comparison), secondly it works almost immediately out of the box, thirdly it's very easy to use - finally it sounds great.

The S5 looks like a bigger version of the Bose docking station, quite a bit bigger. I think it sounds better too - the Sonos system features a graphic equalizer on the PC and handset, so you can shape the sound to suit. I have one or two massive sound files (50MB +) and they sound better than a CD, the S5 and Sonos system definitely appear to have an audio edge over anything else.

The handset (CR200) is very cool. Album art appears, radio is easy to set up... it just works! The handset/controller is worth buying - it's the main reason I switched to Sonos.

The only minor issue is that the range seems 'ok' rather than exceptional, however I've fixed this by putting another couple of bridge units around the house so nothing drops out. You can name individual zones and control them individually or link as many or as few as you like...

Cost is the only downside with the Sonos system, however I have to say that once you've used it, it is actually good value. It's well made, looks very 'Apple-like' and seems to have bullet proof software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Nov. 2014
Just incredible. So easy to set up. Sound quality is unbelievably good.

I was debating whether I go for this or play3. Sound quality is vastly sperior on this in the large sitting room and it actually fills entire home downstairs (about 180m2), so turned up to be more economical buying play5.

Only disadvantage of play5 I can think is that it cannot stand vertically.

If you are considering purchasing this, you will never ever regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy any other music system?, 14 Aug. 2010
The Sonos S5 is a remarkable bit of kit.

Having been a Sonos user for five years I expected the S5 to be a Zoneplayer with speakers, and not match up to my expectations on sound quality - after all, the portability allowed for use outside at BBQ's and the like, so sound quality is not the primary concern.

The system arrived quickly as I've come to expect from Amazon, and I couldn't wait to try it out. The S5 is reassuringly heavy and feels superbly well built - the white plastic and silver grille, give it a contemporary look and are a nod to the classic iPod colour scheme.

Once opened, I plugged in, grabbed one of my Sonos controllers and added it to the Sonos network - as simple and quick as ever.

Now the real test - what was the range going to be like (this player has Wireless N capability, unlike my existing Zoneplayers which are all wireless G). I set the player up at the back of my garden, a good 30 Meters from the Zonebridge and switched it on. The white indicator flashed a few times and then steadily lit - we were connected! I picked up a controller (My iPhone couldn't get Wifi in the same spot) and the mesh capabilities took over with 100% signal on the Sonos controller from the S5.

The next suprise was the sound quality - most of my Sonos zones are connected to pretty decent HiFi speakers (Mordaunt Short and the like) and quality is excellent, with deep bass and just the right tonal elements) how was the S5 going to compete? Well, honestly it sounds incredible - the bass belies its small size, and the power is more than enough for the most rowdy BBQ. This unit easily sounds as good as the £700 Bose iPod dock - but with full music library streaming and Napster built in.

So in summary - if you are hesitating - don't - this is easily the best audio solution out there for anyone who loves unlimited access to music with the flexibility to expand throughout the house - buy buy buy!

Features: *****
Range: *****
Sound: *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos ZP S5 - I love it!, 8 Mar. 2010
S. Knowles (UK) - See all my reviews
I am already a fan of the Sonos product range because I have a zone bridge (Sonos WiFi platform) connected to my router to access the music file son my iMac, zone player (combined WiFi DAC and Amp) with Kef speakers set up in my lounge and Sonos controller (like a big iPod) - my kids and wife love it becuase they can get straight to their music without any technical knowledge. I've never had any problems with Sonos - it just works - which is more than you can say for many bits of IT. In short, you can just get on and enjoy your music, internet radio and other great services like Napster, Last.fm.

Everyone has a reasonable music system in their lounge - but how often do you get to sit down and listen to music? The Sonos ZonePlayer S5 sets your music free around the house. I bought one for my kitchen, where I spend more time, to replace an iPod and dock. Installs in minutes, same controller plus using a great App on our iPhones, and we now have superb music quality where we want it. The music quality is so good that, in my non-audiophile opinion, this unit is as good as using a separate ZonePlayer and speaker set up (remember your using compressed files anyway).

I highly recommend Sonos for easy multi-room music from a single source (that is the same for your iPods), non-technicals for ease of install and use and, specifically for the ZP-S5, great sound quality achieveable in any room. Premium pricing is often unjustified - but I pay it for Sonos becuase of the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a machine, 17 Feb. 2014
Having recently taken delivery of a Play One and been impressed by the performance I decided to add a Play Three. What a music system tons of volume with plenty base. The two units operate well together with the big one in the lounge and the small one in the dining room allowing plenty versitility. So easy to use. Should have changed to Sonos years ago.