5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!
Published 15 months ago by Silex

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic speaker, not very good software
The speaker has fantastic sound, and particularly excellent punchy bass for music that requires it. I love the sound, and I have not exchanged the Sonos for another system for that reason. The design and build of the cabinet is also excellent, weighty enough to provide good sound response but small enough to fit most places.

It is loud, in my lounge I never...
Published on 11 Jan. 2013 by I. Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!, 10 Dec. 2013
OMG!! My old system of stacks had died and I literally spent months researching various options to replace my old faithful. I liked the idea that the Sonos system would stream anywhere in the house and even play different music in different rooms, which would mean my wife could enjoy something different in one room while I was listening to something else in another room. But I must admit I was wary, technology and I are not terribly compatible, idiot proof usually makes me feel like... Well, an idiot!

All things carefully considered I decided to take the plunge and attempt to move with the times, after all I have a pretty extensive digital music library. I ordered a bridge and a Play 5. My order arrived swiftly and I downloaded the Sonos App, plugged everything in and... Nothing! The App repeatedly told me there was no Sonos system to connect to and I was left feeling like the afore mentioned techno idiot! After much messing about I decided to skip the bridge and connected directly to the Play 5 by plugging it straight into the router. Techno idiot no more! The sound was amazing, I was completely blown away.

The next day I phoned Sonos Support and explained my problem with the bridge. I have to say the Sonos Support Team are second to none, friendly, helpful, and the patience of saints - taking into account they were dealing with Techno Idiot! The bridge required a factory reset and a software upgrade which got everything going. Then they transferred my entire music library to the bridge for me, no short task. After an hour on the phone the system was up and running beautifully and I was in seventh heaven. An hour later the system crashed! I was more than disappointed, but next day I was back on the phone to the friendly support team who got me running again and explained that I might have to reset my router if it did it again. Resetting the router consisted of turning it off and then back on again and that was exactly what I had to do every day at least once.

After a week of this I was seriously thinking of packing the lot up and sending it back. An email to the Sonos CEO was swiftly answered and followed up with several telephone calls from a senior technician who was able to analyse my Sonos system and identify the problem, which I hasten to add was not down to the Sonos system at all, but my crappy BT Router. At this point I would expect most companies to wash their hands of the whole problem, after all it wasn't their doing, not so Sonos. Following the advice given I purchased an Apple Time Capsule (my choice, there were various options, but I'm a Mac user) and Sonos were back on the phone to set the whole system up for me. The sound quality is out of this world, the support is out of this world and I really cannot fault the Sonos Team. I am a total convert, having just placed an order for a second Play 5, there will be more Sonos purchases to follow over the next few months. If you have any doubts about taking the plunge, don't worry, Team Sonos will be there for you should things not go quite as well as you might have hoped - and trust me, they couldn't be much worse than my initial experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted- it 'just works', 7 Sept. 2012
After looking at all sorts of options for streaming my music I settled on this.
I pulled the wireless bridge (sold seperately) out of the box, attached it to my router and plugged it in.
Next I plugged the play 5 in.
Next I downloaded the Sonos app from the AppStore to my iPad.
Next I opened the app and clicked on setup system.
Next I selected to add a component and held the button down on the wireless bridge for a few seconds.
Next I selected to add another component and pressed the buttons down on the play 5 for a few seconds and it connected.
The system is now fully set up. It just works. If I want to put up to 32 speakers in the house all I have to do is press add component, and hold down the button on the unit.
However you then want to get music onto it. I have Spotify premium ( 9.99 a month but so worth it) and so selected Spotify, entered my password and username and it works. Streaming millions of songs, instantly in 320k quality.
I could set it to share all my music on the computer in iTunes. All you have to do is click on the cog on The Sonos app, then on shares and select the public folder on the computer.
However, instead I bought a WD Mybook Live, plugged it into my router, copied the music to that and shared that folder in Sonos and it just plays it straight off this Nas drive.
The sound quality on the Play 5 is lovely. I upped the bass 2 notches and treble about 5 notches on the Sonos equaliser app. Sound is clear, nicely balanced and very detailed- this is top quality kit and the sound fills the average UK lounge no problem.
Apple could have made this kit- does not really need instructions, very well made, and again, it just works.
You get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality hampered by reliability, 30 April 2011
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
OK I think on balance, taking into account all the reviews, we can take it as a given that the Sonos S5 is something quite special. While I cannot disagree with the consensus of opinion why have I given it 4 stars instead of 5?

In a word RELIABILITY. I live in an average house in average conditions with no children and yet on three occasions have had to have replacement Sonos components within the guarantee period. This is too frequent an occurrence to be bad luck.

The first S5 suddenly lost its ability to produce any bass response within the first 6 months. After the usual factory reset it still failed to perform so I had to invoke a replacement unit within the warranty period.

The second problem occurred with the very expensive Sonos controller which developed a touch-screen fault. Part of the display failed to respond to touch commands. Once again I had to request a replacement.

The third occasion was the same problem as the first - the sudden inability to produce a bass response after 10 months of working flawlessly. This time the problem was suffered by my other S5 unit, located in a different part of the house and was purchased at a different retailer from the first.

So in summary - out of 4 Sonos components only the ZoneBridge has not let me down. Not a good track record is it?

These days manufacturers have their products 'Made in China' purely because it is cheaper and it vastly increases their profit margin. Unfortunately in my experience components have a much higher tendency to break down be it intermittent electrical faults, failure of rechargeable batteries or transformer failures. They just don't have the longevity expected of them.

Sonos are a very good company and have no hesitation in quickly responding and replacing faulty products. But what lifetime can I expect of these products? It doesn't bode well.

***** UPDATE 11 July 2011 - The replacement Controller 200 now refuses to hold its charge - although still under guarantee it is yet another instance of UNRELIABILITY that lets Sonos down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant purchase - put more music in your life, 13 Jan. 2015
*I USE THIS SONOS PLAY 5 SPEAKER WITHOUT A SONOS BRIDGE.
I was unclear to me whether the bridge was required or not - some people told me that I did need it, other people told me that I didn't. My Sonos speaker connected to my home wifi network easily and quickly WITHOUT a bridge.

This speaker is absolutely brilliant. I plugged it in, downloaded the Sonos app to my iphone, and the app guided me through the setup process. I registered my Spotify Premium account and my Amazon Music player account, and was playing music through the speaker within five minutes.

The sound really impressed me first of all. The bass is especially amazing, and overall sound quality is full and clear. The sound fills my living room and sounds awesome.

The speaker is also a lot smaller, but heavier than I expected it to be. It looks great, and feels well made and of good quality. You can also keep the Sonos system plugged in and switched on all the time. It sits silently until you tell it to play something.

The Play 5 also comes with an audio input cable for you to connect an ipod or other audio source.

An additional feature of the Sonos system is you can set up an alarm to play music when you want.

The first night we had the Sonos, we put off the TV and just sat and talked with some music on in the background for our toddler to listen to. Spotify has a lullaby album version of the songs from the movie Frozen, along with lots of other nursery rhymes for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars SONOS PLAY:5, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:5 White - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly S5) (Electronics)
Like most reviews here, I am very pleased with my decision to move into the world of SONOS. I have been a long time BOSE fan with a number of their units in the house but I now wanted a system that I could stream around the house and link to my music collection that is increasingly becoming digital. SONOS is therefore the perfect solution for me.

I took delivery of the PLAY:5 on the New Years eve and had the unit, along with the bridge, up and running within 30 minutes. The free bridge offer was one of the things that did aid my decision.

The sound from the unit is incredibly rich, producing superb bass tones and picking up areas of sound that I had difficulty with, even the BOSE. Sound though is very subjective and is dependant upon both the listener and the environment in which one is listening, but suffice to say, it is a 10/10 from me.

I have also linked the the unit to my sky box through the line out facility on the PLAY:5. Adding a phono lead with the yellow and white plugs on one end into the sky box and the 3.5 jack on the other into the unit produces a wonderful sound from the TV without any of the delay suggested in other points, especially watching films, which we do, alot!. The controller through, which ever device you have, is great, fully adaptable and you can really personalise the system and here it is worth plating around with the controller app and getting to know the system.

I am now keen to add to the system, with probably a PLAY:1 and this is where the SONOS differs from the BOSE. Although they are both quality products, I feel it is unfair to compare the two directly as the two products that are often compared, are designed to provide music in different ways. The SONOS is not a sound dock, a single point of listening, it is a multi-room system that takes advantage of your wifi streaming capability and this is where it wins for me. Within our house, like most these days, we have a range of tablets and smartphones each with the 'one or the other' operating systems but the SONOS allows for this and makes for a controllable and adaptable environment. The next step, like most people I would suggest, who buy a streaming music system is to move into adding a NAS so that the music doesn't have to reply on a switched on computer.

Two other things that I must mention is the styling, the unit is modern, minimalist and has a well engineered appearance that nods towards Bauhaus influences. The PLAY:5 is weighty with a quality feel to it. The other thing worth mentioning is the support from the SONOS website and forums. Here is a wealth of knowledge available supported by other users and SONOS staff themselves that will answer probably all queries and conundrums concerning the system and set up and also information on developing a NAS.

I hope this feedback helps. It is my view and my view only. I only add a review when I feel I have something to add and in this case I felt compelled to feedback on a great product. If like me this is your first contact with SONOS, then all I can say is, do your research. Have a look at the system, have a listen in the various retailers that stock them and then make up your mind but I don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Play 5 - White. Impressive in all areas., 20 Dec. 2013
After owning a BOSE Soundock for quite some time, linked to my iPod, I decided it was time for a sound system upgrade. I spent ages reading reviews and looking up the specifications of many differnt makes, and settled on the Sonos Play 5. I'm glad I did.

The unit itself is very well built, the same standard as an Apple or BOSE product I'd say. I was lucky to get the deal where you got a free Bridge with the purchase, as I knew I was going to need one of those from the reviews. I connected my Bridge directly into my ADSL Router with a supplied ethernet cable and plugged in the small power supply.

The Play 5 sits across the room in my lounge, that just plugs into a normal power outlet with the transformer built into the unit - no other cabling required.

I logged into my ADSL Router to see what was happening as this was installed, and powered up both units. The bridge powers up and asks the router for an I.P. address using DHCP, the router then gives it an address and the Bridge sets up its own wireless network. The Play 5 then links to the Bridge and also asks and gets an IP Address. I reserved both addresses on my router so they always stay the same.

On my laptop I downloaded the Sonos software, ran it up and it connected to both units straight away, as simple as that. It asked me to allow an update to them both which took a couple of minutes to download and install and we were set. I pointed the music library to the 32GB USB key attached on the Readyshare port of my Netgear Router, a couple of minutes later it had indexed all the contents. This way I only need the router and Sonos kit on to play music, saving a little bit on my electric bill!

Well, the sound is awesome, far better than my BOSE ever was, and on the same if not better level than a comparable unit that would cost me over £700. Deep bass, crystal clear treble and lovely mid tones. If you do ever feel the need to turn the volume up really high and annoy your neighbours, the bass is lowered at the top end of the range to avoid any distortion, but still sounds great. I feel this is where the SUB would take over if you want to listen to music crazy loud!

I've used it a considerable amount to date, and not a single issue at all with it.

Both the Bridge and the Play 5 have 2 ethernet ports in the rear of them, which would allow you to connect another networked device like a NAS, or allow you to use a current existing ethernet cable into it if required.

The Play 5 also has an input port the same size as a small headphone jack (3.5mm?), and it autodetects when you plug a device into it. You can adjust the input source details from the Sonos software app to set its volume levels correctly. You do however have to power up the Bridge and the Play 5 to allow it to play from the external device, I suppose this is to allow you to control it from whatever, laptop iPhone etc. I have an iPod plugged into mine and it works perfectly, and the required cable is included with the Play 5.

I'll be getting another Play 5 at some point, this will allow me to use each one as a left or right channel for real stereo, all done easily from the Sonos software.

A well deserved 5 stars, it really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos S5, 24 Dec. 2009
Having used a Squeezebox system for a couple of years, I decided to upgrade to what must be the 'gold standard' for wireless hi fi. The S5 is part of a wider Sonos system at my home (S5, bridges, zone players and the CR200).

Firstly the software interface for the PC is much more user-friendly than the Squeezebox (which is rather clunky in comparison), secondly it works almost immediately out of the box, thirdly it's very easy to use - finally it sounds great.

The S5 looks like a bigger version of the Bose docking station, quite a bit bigger. I think it sounds better too - the Sonos system features a graphic equalizer on the PC and handset, so you can shape the sound to suit. I have one or two massive sound files (50MB +) and they sound better than a CD, the S5 and Sonos system definitely appear to have an audio edge over anything else.

The handset (CR200) is very cool. Album art appears, radio is easy to set up... it just works! The handset/controller is worth buying - it's the main reason I switched to Sonos.

The only minor issue is that the range seems 'ok' rather than exceptional, however I've fixed this by putting another couple of bridge units around the house so nothing drops out. You can name individual zones and control them individually or link as many or as few as you like...

Cost is the only downside with the Sonos system, however I have to say that once you've used it, it is actually good value. It's well made, looks very 'Apple-like' and seems to have bullet proof software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Nov. 2014
Just incredible. So easy to set up. Sound quality is unbelievably good.

I was debating whether I go for this or play3. Sound quality is vastly sperior on this in the large sitting room and it actually fills entire home downstairs (about 180m2), so turned up to be more economical buying play5.

Only disadvantage of play5 I can think is that it cannot stand vertically.

If you are considering purchasing this, you will never ever regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos S5, 26 Dec. 2010
I have to say sonos S5 is a nice bit of kit once I got it setup. I had one minor problem getting the sonos wireless bridge seup as my computer couldn't find it even thou it was showing om my router. After a hour or so I traced it back to my McAfee software which was blocking it changed the settings to allow my system to find sonos wireless bridge and the put the back. Must say once I got the over the problem the sysem picked up the S5 in the longe and bedroom as soon as I plugged them in and updated the software on them. The sound quality is very good for the size of the units. I would recomend buying a sonos system shame about the high price of the units. I loaded the free app to my Ipod to control the system as the price of the sonos contoller is very high for what it is. The free app works very well to contol the system so would recomend using it rather than buying the over priced sonos controller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy any other music system?, 14 Aug. 2010
The Sonos S5 is a remarkable bit of kit.

Having been a Sonos user for five years I expected the S5 to be a Zoneplayer with speakers, and not match up to my expectations on sound quality - after all, the portability allowed for use outside at BBQ's and the like, so sound quality is not the primary concern.

The system arrived quickly as I've come to expect from Amazon, and I couldn't wait to try it out. The S5 is reassuringly heavy and feels superbly well built - the white plastic and silver grille, give it a contemporary look and are a nod to the classic iPod colour scheme.

Once opened, I plugged in, grabbed one of my Sonos controllers and added it to the Sonos network - as simple and quick as ever.

Now the real test - what was the range going to be like (this player has Wireless N capability, unlike my existing Zoneplayers which are all wireless G). I set the player up at the back of my garden, a good 30 Meters from the Zonebridge and switched it on. The white indicator flashed a few times and then steadily lit - we were connected! I picked up a controller (My iPhone couldn't get Wifi in the same spot) and the mesh capabilities took over with 100% signal on the Sonos controller from the S5.

The next suprise was the sound quality - most of my Sonos zones are connected to pretty decent HiFi speakers (Mordaunt Short and the like) and quality is excellent, with deep bass and just the right tonal elements) how was the S5 going to compete? Well, honestly it sounds incredible - the bass belies its small size, and the power is more than enough for the most rowdy BBQ. This unit easily sounds as good as the £700 Bose iPod dock - but with full music library streaming and Napster built in.

So in summary - if you are hesitating - don't - this is easily the best audio solution out there for anyone who loves unlimited access to music with the flexibility to expand throughout the house - buy buy buy!

Features: *****