5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant, well-paced Ben Hope adventure!
This is the fourth book in the Ben Hope adventure series (The other three being (in order) 'The Alchemist's Secret, The Mozart Conspiracy, The Doomsday Prophecy. I have read all the Ben Hope books and am a real fan - he is an ex-SAS operative with a bit of a tortured past so he makes a decent hero (and no it's not as cliched as it sounds!).

It's not necessary...
Published on 23 July 2009 by Miss K

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
There are two main problems with this novel: the plot and the characters. Let's start with the characters. Ben Hope, the hero, is an ex-SAS soldier who nowadays runs his own anti-terror training camp and seems to get dragged into dangerous adventures through no fault of his own. He knows everything there is to know about weapons, warfare and different killing techniques,...
Published on 26 Oct 2009 by Lasse Roren

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant, well-paced Ben Hope adventure!, 23 July 2009
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

It's not necessary to read the books in order as each book has its own story and whatever important bits about Ben's past are going to be relevant again, you are told quite early on in the book.

Amazon has provided a synopsis so I won't reiterate what the story is about. Suffice to say that 'The Heretic's Treasure' is great because it has all the elements of a good adventure story and once the pace picks up, it just keeps racing. It's well-written with various twists so it keeps you interested in the story and keeps you rooting for the characters to the very end.

If you haven't read any of the other books and aren't sure if you will like Scott Mariani's style, I would say his books remind me most of Dan Brown both in terms of how the stories are structured and the writing style. I loved the Dan Brown books and I always seem to be hunting for another writer who can have me hooked in the same way!

So to summarize, if you like Dan Brown AND/OR you're just looking for an adventure story that will surprise and thrill you, get this (or start at the beginning with the first Ben Hope book if you like - you won't be disappointed!). 'The Heretic's Treasure' is a very entertaining page-turner; I read lots of thriller/adventure books and the Ben Hope books are definitely up there amongst my favourites - highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite author!, 6 July 2009
Richard Clark "The Postmaster" (Hollywood. CA) - See all my reviews
I have not read Mr. Mariani before, but after enjoying this thriller/adventure his other books are on my reading list. Mr. Mariani's style of writing, adventure theme, and fascinating plot line involving an ancient mystery reminded me of James Rollins' novels. This book would make an awesome movie. The plot involves an ancient fortune that has been lost for thousands of years, ancient Egyptian archeology, and plenty of action adventure and few twist and turns to spin your head. It's great to have a cool new favorite author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in two sittings!, 4 July 2009
Andrew Macdonald (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of those books you can't put down. I think it is the best Ben Hope book yet. The plot takes several twists and keeps you interested. An excellent book which sees good, strong characters, and very interesting themes. The sub-plots are totally entertaining. Have spoiled my holiday reading now, as I only wanted to start it before going, but I had to keep reading. Can't wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure hunt thriller in Egypt and Sudan desert., 4 Aug 2009
Amazon Customer (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Heretic's Treasure

Ben Hopes's fourth outing with a stronger plot than the previous Doomsday Prophecy.

Once again Hope endeavours to escape being the final line of defence in kidnap and ransom situations by setting up a training facility in France.
Then Hope receives a cry for help he can't refuse, from Harry Paxton the man who saved his live.

Immediately he is in conflict with Kaled Kamal a ruthless terrorist on a treasure hunt for Egyptian gold statues from the reign of Akhenaten worth billions.

Once again very well written, however the adrenaline pumps at a slightly lower level than the previous novels, but characterisation is just as good.

Another Ben Hope winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB FAB FAB!!, 4 Aug 2009
I bought this book because I love anything to do with Egypt, fact or fiction, so this was a must purchase for me. After reaching the first few chapters, I immediately started researching other books by the author because I was gripped. I loved this book and whilst I found it quite different to Dan Brown's Langdon books, it is a brilliant read, fast paced and frankly unputdownable!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great escapist adventure!, 13 Sep 2009
I often wonder whether the 2nd, 3rd, 4th installment in a series will be as good as the first. The Hertic's Treasure didn't disappoint. Exotic locations, ancient mysteries, plenty of action, a touch of romance (with a twist) and even some unrequited love - it was one of those stories you can't wait to get back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure to read, 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope, Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I brought this with no expectation, I guess after reading four or five books from the same Author you expect stories to become a bit familiar, but I am happy to say the only thing that stays familiar is Ben Hope, Scott Mariani has written this book as if it were his first, actually I think each book gets better as you go along. Good Story, Good Plot, Surprising twist, but best of all plausibility, He makes the stories believable, locations, characters, the plots, even the time line of events. The descriptions lets your imagination feel, react, see and may I say it smell the surroundings He puts you in. I know I haven't said anything about the story itself but I hope I have teased you into reading the synopsis for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars heretics treasure, 21 Sep 2009
P. Murphy (london) - See all my reviews
have just recently discovered scott mariani as an author....heretics treasure is the 3rd book of his that i have read.....i have found them all an absolutely fantastic read...i have found them to be an engrossing read....just cant put the book down....execelant...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving, 31 Oct 2009
The main character in this book would be absolutely exhausted by the end of his adventure. I enjoyed the pace of the book but was somewhat irritated by overdone description of the setting at the start. I'm pleased to say that the author became bored with doing this before I gave up on the book. I had the impression that he was trying to set the scene for a film producer.

I suppose you could compare this to a certain extent to Dan Brown's method of writing but was nothing like as well researched. The uploading of a large file from a laptop from a room in a seedy hotel in the instant click on the keyboard, is far from believable. The main character came over as a virtual alcoholic which I thought would be unlikely considering his career choice.

Despite this, I did find it an enjoyable and easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heretic's Treasure, 2 Aug 2009
Mrs. Paula Heard (UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't think I would like this book when I got it. But once I started reading it I couldn't put it down! The main storyline was totally opposite to books I usually read but I was hooked from start to finish and am looking to buy the other books about the same character now!