5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute power being shown to corrupt absolutely
Published on 20 Sep 2008 by Chaz Blake

2.0 out of 5 stars Please don't make me go .by John fenton
An amazing read from start to finish will recommend to all family and friends .heartbraking at times warm with laughter at others .sad to know this abuse happend and is still happening in some instances 'I would like to give top rating
Published 1 month ago by Paul Leonard Mason

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute power being shown to corrupt absolutely, 20 Sep 2008
This book should be taken as a training manual to overcome bullying. Fenton's experiences, though brutal, he used as a learning curve. It is not a book to be taken lightly - it is an inspirational novel of the highest degree. He is graphic in his descriptions and has the art of being able to transport the reader into years gone by. A very good book which I will be recommending to all of my acquaintances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Don't Make Me Go, 9 April 2008
Mr. H. O'mahony (London, UK) - See all my reviews
What an amazing book. Couldn't put it down, kept me up till all hours as I had to finish it. Hope there will be a follow up book. This isn't the usual misery rubbish but more a boy's battle against bullies of all ages. The author writes so explicitly it is almost like you are there. The book moves at a fast pace and at the end I was close to cheering. Could see this book being made into a film...........that would be a blockbuster.

4.0 out of 5 stars A salutary tale for these sad and distracted times, 12 Sep 2008
Fenton's graphically stark tale of his childhood's betrayal at the hands of sadistic monks running an 'approved school' within the UK's judicial system in the 1950's is difficult reading. The brooding terror, the countless ritualistic canings, in snug fitting sports shorts, and the peer-to-peer violence all add up to a chaotic world in which the protagonist holds on for grim life and, seemingly miraculously, keeps his sanity, dignity and capacity for friendship alive. His understandable mantra wishing early and horrible death upon his tormentors gives grim satisfaction. A compelling read, not for the squeamish, but covering ground not entirely unfamiliar to those who have experienced the rigors of education 30 or more years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Don't Make Me Go, 25 April 2008
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I opened the book with a degree of trepidation as I don't generally like 'misery' novels. This is no misery novel. It is sad in places but the most compelling read I've had for many a year. The story is fast moving and the delicious twist when his revenge is at last brought to fruition had me jumping for joy.
I look forward to reading more of John's work in the future. He is a gifted writer who kept my attention throughout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a good read and well written, 12 April 2009
Nichola J. Hill "Nikki Hill" (England) - See all my reviews
I've read numerous true stories and unfortunately they are a little of the same, as in up bringing and background and it all happens at home and the abusers are always family. This was both family and the "system" that we've heard so much about over the years by these awful institutions. I really don't understand how so many of these places got away with it and brought up these boys to think they were useless so it takes real courage for John Fenton to share his story and I really enjoyed it and thought it was really well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 22 Jan 2009
Ms. A. Lamble "'wheels'" (Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
What a fabulous book this is. It has everything a good book needs and it's true. John Fenton is a 'hero' in my eyes. His story his heart breaking and will have you in tears. I can't put this book down and can't stop thinking about him and what he went through in his young life. Would love another book from him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Don't Make Me Go, 20 April 2008
Ms. Alison Maher (London) - See all my reviews
I am so glad that I purchased this book. It's amazing. I ended up hating people I have never met. It has had a profound effect on me and I now can see clearly the way to deal with bullies. John Fenton is an amazing writer and I would highly recommend this book to everyone and anyone. Well done, John. Can't wait to read your next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!, 14 April 2008
Gary Williams (Plymouth) - See all my reviews
this is a very good book!!! this book will be number 1 in no time. it took my breath away with how horrible life was back in those times!!! i couldn't put this book down, it is an easy read and i would have loved to of studied it in school!!! please don't make me go is full of deep rooted emotions and really brings out the brutality which many were subjected too.
i would like to see it become a film as i feel it would be very successful!!
all i can say is i hope there is a sequel!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 5 July 2010
I was lent this book by one of the other guests at our holiday apartments this year. Whilst this is not the type of book I would normally read, I had run out of reading material so thought why not.
I read this book in a day - just could not put it down.
A harrowing tale of the abuse suffered by a young boy at the hands of his bully of a father and a bunch of catholic priests and how he dealt with this, eventually got his retribution. A must read for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as described ..., 21 Dec 2009
When I picked up this book in the shop and read the description I was in two minds as to whether I wanted to read it. However, the title and the write up on the back would probably put more people off than encourage them to read it.

I found that when I started reading it that it was a gripping read but on a positive side, it's a book more about overcoming the bullies within the system. Although it's not to be taken lightly as this person did endure unreasonable discipline and constant bullying throughout his time within the institution, it did show the determination of how someone can come through the other side.

His father's behaviour was dispicable and beggars belief of how a parent could do such a thing.

I couldn't put this book down and was glad that I bought it, but do feel that perhaps it should have been promoted in a more positive way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›