1,870 Reviews
 (1,068)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I have just finished reading this book which was recommended to me by a friend. As someone who is not usually a crime fiction fan (I certainly never buy them), I was not very enthusiastic about it but had some curiousity because of the rave reviews it was getting in other areas also. I found the beginning of the book a bit tedious and was starting to think it was not...
Published on 28 Dec 2009 by Mrs. Jean Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars good story poorly written
This is a good plot, a complicated mystery with several unexpected turns, an affecting romantic sub-plot between the two main characters, and some scary moments.

But it's written by a plodding nerd. The first half is deeply tedious, the second half is a bit better but all the way through we are given far too much detail about uninteresting brand names, leaden...
Published on 2 Jan 2010 by Chris Rust

‹ Previous | 1125 126 127187 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars over hyped, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Kindle Edition)
Admittedly, i'm only 40% of the way through the book but not sure i can be bothered reading the rest! I read it on a recommendation but it's been hard work so far, nothing of any significance has happened, too many characters and the main characters have no real depth. A page turner it isn't, is really rather dull. If you enjoy gripping crime drama, give this a miss!

OK, review edit! I did finish this in the end and it did improve! It just took a while to get used to the writing style. It's probably more of a 'boys book' - it feels a bit James Bondy. I did enjoy the twists and turns at the end, just took a while to get going! I'll probably read the other 2 - I want to know what happens next!

1.0 out of 5 stars This was so boring, waste of time..., 25 Aug 2011
Michael (Sellindge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Kindle Edition)
I still don't know what all the fuss is about this book, perhaps the edition I downloaded wasn't what every one else read as I found it pretty boring, predictable and cliche. I guess you could say I didn't like it much. If your not looking for interesting names and locations I wouldn't bother. I've already forgotten half the book and I just finished it yesterday. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring beginning, boring middle, boring end, 24 Aug 2011
I bought this book for my kindle on the recommendation of a friend. After the first hundred or so pages, I was ready to abandon it and I wouldn't have ploughed on if I hadn't paid for it. I asked my friend whether it improved and he said yes, it's worth persisting with it. Wrong! It's just as boring right to the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get past p40, 5 Aug 2011
I don't normally like to post bad reviews of books but I can't understand the acclaim this book has had. A friend said to me that you have to get past the rubbish bit at the beginning and then it's great. Well, I tried, I really did. But after forty pages of dull, turgid prose with no idea of where anything was going or who anyone was, I gave up. Life's too short!

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the hype., 26 Feb 2011
J. Robson "geetarjohnny" (Redcar UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after hearing nothing but rave reviews of it, and I can't tell you how disappointed I was with it. I'm not sure what page I got to, as I was reading it on my Kindle, but the progress bar read "27%" when I finally gave up.

The problem is that, for a thriller, it just isn't very "thrilling". We have two main plot lines: a) A journalist who loses a court battle against a corrupt captain of industry, and who needs to restore his reputation by proving his case against said corrupt tycoon (why, as a seasoned reporter, he went to print without making sure his case was watertight wasn't really explained by the time I lost interest)... and b) A decades-old missing person/possible murder of the niece of a different (and much more honourable, honest) business tycoon.

The journalist from plot(a) gets roped in to investigate the disappearance in plot(b). Whilst at the same time, another investigator (the eponymous tattooed lady) investigates the journalist, at the behest of the good-guy tycoon. I'm sure the plot would have ended up with both investigators working the missing person case together if I'd persevered with the book, but I'd got to the point where the I knew what the book was about, but I just... didn't CARE about any of the tedious, badly written, characters. So I gave up.

I read and enjoy thrillers as diverse as Tom Clancy's early works (Red Storm Rising is a masterpiece of cold-war tension) through to Robert Goddard (Painting The Darkness would be my choice of Desert Island book). Along the way I'll happily dip into the works of Simon Kernick and Stuart MacBride amongst others, so it's not as if 2D characters and slightly dodgy plot devices are anathema to me, I just think that those authors cover their tracks a little better, and maintain a pace which carries the reader along in such a way as you either don't notice or don't mind.

I can't help feeling that as Mr Larsson is sadly deceased, there is an element of not wanting to speak ill of the dead in the hype surrounding this book. Sorry, but a boring book gets no better after the author's demise. I would NOT recommend this book at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars The girl with the dragon tattoo, 26 Feb 2011
I found the story line and narrative hard to get in to and didn't get past the first few pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Most Overrated Book since The Da Vinci Code, 15 Feb 2011
Jon Driscoll (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Sorry to be a heretic - but this book is rubbish. The pace at the beginning is deathly - for God's sake why do we need hundreds of pages on the Vanger family tree? He also tried to cram two stories into one book which means Wennerstrom is an insipid villain. The financial and industrial intrigue part of the story is done almost in summary: "He had tricked them before, but now Lisbeth uses computer magic and it's all fine"...all in about 50 pages at the end. He's not really a threat to Darth Vader as the greatest fictional baddie is he?
The endless references to coffee verged on the farcical - I began to think he was joking or satirising the Da Vinci Code.
Also the late author clearly had lots of issues with sexual violence by men against women. If that's your thing then skip the first 150 pages and read on but it's not for me.
Much of my disappointment stems from the myth around his death and the suggestion that these books in some way unleashed dark forces against him: they didn't. The book does not expose Nazis in Sweden nor does it blow the lid on big league crime, it mainly focusses on family trees, perverts and coffee.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 9 Jan 2011
This is a fairly readable book (having put it down in frustration twice). It is at times inconsistent, contrived and bordering on the trivial. I do not find Salander a believable character and the magazine Millennium is an idealistic fantasy. This is probably better than most of the pulp fiction out there. It is another sign of our banal times when people gush about mediocrity (such as this book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, 4 Jan 2011
I loved this book.

Everything about it says 'unpublishable'. It's long, it's set in Sweden, it has unbelievably complex (and not particularly relevant) sub-plots about international economics, it has a leftish political agenda. But people have made it a huge best-seller despite publishing 'wisdom'. In part this is down to the quality of the writing. (The translator deserves more recognition.) I found that I was immersed in a world similar enough to mine to make sense yet alien enough to be endlessly fascinating. It makes Sweden sexy and interesting. And it marshals its cast of characters (huge by the end of the series) without you getting lost. Even incidental characters are rounded people with quirks and features that make them easy to remember and care about.

It's not life-changing and it's not particularly 'improving' but I missed it when I'd finished it. It's just a brilliant immersive read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Needle Sharp Thriller, 13 Dec 2010
Howard Wright (Tunbridge Wells, UK) - See all my reviews
In my view, this book justifies the hype that surrounds it. What really stands out for me is Larsson's unputdownable writing style using a series of short scenes. This injects a real pace and energy to the book. The reader is always left wanting more, and this tended to result in me staying awake late into the night, repeatedly deciding to read just one more page. Several times my wife wondered where I had disappeared to during the day as I sneaked off for a quick fix of Salander and Blomqvist.

The story itself is a complex thriller which sees twists and turns as the story progresses. There are lots of characters with complex relationships, which, at times, left me wishing that I had mapped them as the story progressed (as Blomqvist would have done if he were reading the book). One of the toughest aspects of the book is the abuse and violence around which the book revolves. However, the author makes the most of this to make the story very tense and to keep the characters in danger for much of the story.

I know that this book isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to me, this is one of the best books that I have ever read. It would certainly be on the short-list for the book that I would choose to take with me if I was to be stranded on a desert island.

‹ Previous | 1125 126 127187 | Next ›