5.0 out of 5 stars Clarkson rides again!
I remember seeing parts of the TV series this book was based on. And I certainly remember reading the smaller, hardback edition of this book in my local library. It was probably one of the most amusing books I remember reading at the time...and it still is!
Published on 28 Nov. 2004 by dh_scotland

1.0 out of 5 stars motor mouth
Like a car engine on idle, old jc just burbles away at the lights, wasting petrol, going nowhere. Tired old prejudices masquerading as humour, not an original thought in sight.

Would I like to see him executed in front of his family, no just tied down and run over by a thousand cyclists on the fast lane of the M25. Would I really want this, no I'm only...
Published on 5 Dec. 2011 by Mr. P. A. Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarkson rides again!, 28 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
I now own this paperback version and on reading it again I can remember why reading the version in the library made me laugh. I once said in another review of one of Clarkson's books that "...In his crusade to annoy, anger and aggravate, he brings a lot of honesty and a single-minded obsession that many so-called car reviewers lack". Well in this book, he takes that very un-politically correct writing style to review the driving habits of a few different countries around the world (The USA he visits twice). He doesn't pull any punches here, criticising anything that annoys him (Tokyo's traffic jams get a good dose of vitriol here) and mentions with glee anything that fascinated him (The sight of Italian villagers wanting to see Clarkson and two companions drive at speed out of their village, cheering them on).
This book will not be for everyone (Certainly not those who despise his views) but there is one thing you can't deny. He does have a good point and I mean a *very* good point...

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 20 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
I have no interest in cars whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Jeremy Clarkson is opinionated and outspoken, a rare quality amongst the politically correct English. Added to that, he is also very witty. Love him or hate him at least you get a laugh. How many obnoxious people do you know who make you laugh?
The book is great if you don't have much time as each chapter is independant of the other so you can pick it up, read a chapter and put it down again without feeling like you're messing up the flow of some novel.
Jeremy confesses he is prone to exaggeration and some of his episodes have to be read to be believed. The chapter on Detroit comes to mind. Thoroughly entertaining though.
Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
I love Jeremy Clarkson's style and wit and this book made me cry with laughter. I can picture his voice when reading it which makes it all the funnier. I love cars but even if this is not the case for you, it is a definite recommended read. I even made my boyfriend read it which believe me is a feat in itself (he doesnt like reading)and even he is now reading other Clarkson books. If you're sick of PC rubbish and like the idea of some refreshing and individual thoughts then read this book. Go Clarkson!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% of Britishness, 13 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
Top Gear is a BBC TV series that does not need recommendation. I was not sure what to expect from a book though. But when I opened the book I simply couldn't put it down. It is so refreshing, funny, addictive. I have been to at least half of the places the author describes. But the way he does it (LOL at every other line) and the observations he makes make it so special. Finally, the language is 100% English, which is the REAL beauty of this book. Recommended to all the motorization fans but also all those who are interested in foreign places or just want to have some fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and enjoyable but makes you wonder, 17 Mar. 2008
Andy Wright (Melbourne, Victoria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
3.5 stars really. The author is fun to watch in action on TV. He is not afraid to speak his mind and has a unique turn of phrase when critcally examining something. He writes in much the same way. In fact, you sometimes catch yourself reading like Clarkson talks - complete with the pregnant pauses!

A light-hearted read, really. I did find some of the explanations/comments frustrating though. There is a chapter on Australia with a few outlandish statements that could be read as fact when they're not. Outlandish statements are, of course, pure, classic Clarkson but it got me thinking what else in the book (several countries I am not too familiar with) was really an embellishment - a "Clarksonism".

But then, that'd be regarding this book seriously which it certainly isn't. If you've been doing some heavy reading of late or enjoy Clarkson's take on the world, or even just want a laugh from a different type of travel book, then this book is a good choice. Makes me want to watch the Motorworld TV series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clarkson Classic, 20 Aug. 2006
M. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
This is the perfect book, full of wit and humour typical of Clarkson's personality. Even for people who aren't keen on cars, this book is for you. It's brilliantly written and brings a smile to my face everytime I think of a comment he's made in this superb book. Quite old the book may be, but it's always an entertaining read, which has resulted in me desperately wanting to purchase Clarkson's other publishings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aaaah yes the Clarkson perspective !!, 3 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
The journalistic equivalent of Marmite, Clarkson has an opinion on everything and gets very well paid to form these opinions. So sometimes the victim of petty jealousy, I put it to you that maybe this man is not appreciated enough. And here's why, with a list of qualifications as long as the letter i this man successfully holds down a much lusted after job of driving cars and forming opinions, touring countries and forming opinions and observing people while, yes you guessed it ....forming opinions. Now his opinions are often not well informed, most are downright absurd but hey he gets away with it. I say give him control of the banks and lets get Clarkson economics up and running !

Oh yeah and the book ..........loved it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Jan. 2005
Mital Patel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
This book is great! Jeremy Clarkson is fantastic, and if you're into cars, buy it now, and even if you're not into cars it's an interesting and amusing read about the way people from other parts of the world view their cars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarkson scores again, 26 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
Yet more Clarkson written just how you'd expect. Great stories with the wit, satire and opinions we've all come to expect from the man himself.

Those that have seen the television series of the same name will be able to relate to the stories being told whilst gaining so much more. Those that haven't will enjoy the book anyway.

If you like Clarkson it's another must have. If you're not so keen on his general forthright views you should still find this book an enjoyable read as it's far more observation than opinion than the way that 'The World According to' series is.

5.0 out of 5 stars motorworld, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Motorworld (Paperback)
possibly the shortest clarkson book, but don't let it put you off. this was written concurrent with his motorworld programme which was aired in 1995 (they're on youtube) and it was very good. he visited 13 countries across the world and compared driving styles and cultures. it is insightful and as usual, written very well. importantly, it is 'laugh out loud' funny as well. the chapter about india is very good.

there is also a few extra chapters at the back under the heading 'extreme machines' e.g from when he flew the F-15

this is well worth reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›