5.0 out of 5 stars A "Cracker" of a book!
Published on 1 Feb 2009 by Yorkie's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Bernard Cornwall Crackdown
I have always enjoyed Bernard Cornwall's writing, this book was good, but as an action adventure story not as interesting for me as his other books
Published on 8 Feb 2011 by rosie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Bernard Cornwall Crackdown, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
But having said that, I am used to reading his historical fiction stories, so possibly this was the reason that I could not settle with this one, plus I found the ending a little bit abrupt, but again that was my feeling.
The writing was up to his usual standard, so, it is still an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Cracker" of a book!, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Crackdown (Paperback)
Having read and re-read (and read again!) all of Bernard Cornwells historical novels I approached this, my first stab at reading one of his modern novels. I was not disappointed. His hero, Nick Breakspear is likeable, believable and not a superhuman (unlike in some other author's books where the hero is so macho as to be totally unbelievable) in other words normal. The other characters both "goodies" and baddies" are portrayed with the usual Cornwell precision. What a character Maggot is! The story travels at break neck speed and you won't want to put it down until the last page. I usually judge a book by my desire to read it again and this is definately one of those.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a typical Cornwell., 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: Crackdown (Paperback)
Crackdown is a adventure book. Simple as that. Don't expect the similar style of writing to Cornwell's others as I get the impression he had deliberately sat down to test another technique. He has succeeded but this is much more of a standard novel rather than an epic style like the Warlord Trilogy or even the Gallow's Thief.

The gist of the story is that an Ex-Marine desperate to escape from the grips of his ostentatious father drifts to the Caribbean isles and sets up as a charter captain. This rest of the adventure is about the war on drugs. I can't help but feel that perhaps Cornwell has a history with the substance and that perhaps a close family member has been affected because he writes with such venom when he describes cocaine. This is an avant garde subject for the early 1990's so it isn't like he is jumping on the anti drug band wagon. The characters are fun and dynamic but don't expect anything too Sharpe like because you will be disappointed but at the same time I finished the book looking forward to hearing from Nick again.

In short I was keen on the book and enjoyed reading it. The subject matter is dealt with in a heavy handed manner but I suspect Cornwell doesn't care if anyone reads it as this is HIS own weapon and his way of hitting out on drug users and pushers. I think he seems himself as the Senator rather than as Nick (maybe a bit of both). Well worth a read if you find a copy or just like Cornwell. The only negative is that he did not have his usual stab at organised religion which I find highly entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate thriller, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Crackdown (Hardcover)
CRACKDOWN Bernard Cornwell 1990

I have for a long time, personally believed, that Cornwell's sailing adventures are some of his best writing. Historical novels are my main interest in fiction and although I am not normally that keen on modern period thrillers, I am happy to make an exception to the rule for Cornwell's five sailing tales, (and those of Sam Llewellyn), particularly as they are set in the decades of my own serious yachting days and therefore have a very familiar nostalgia. I must admit that I was genuinely disappointed when no further novels of the same ilk were forthcoming after the five were published.

The central character of Crackdown is an ex-marine officer, Nick Breakspear, who runs a charter company in the Bahamas. Against his better judgement he accepts a charter from a US senator to take his cocaine addicted off-spring on a curative cruise which ultimately brings him into conflict with Caribbean drug smugglers.

The story is full of action, the characters are well rounded and believable, and Cornwell uses his first hand knowledge of boats, sailing and the local waters to the best effect.

Every couple of years I take down my spare, battered, paperback copies of these five novels and they accompany me on holiday. I am not sure how many times I have re-read them in the past twenty years but despite knowing the stories intimately I never tire of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
Eamonn Durning (2,Ashleigh Close, College Farm Road, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
Bernard Cornwell book------ as usual brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars crackdown review, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read very believable in action and motives.
Certainly a different type of novel from Bernard Cornwell and like his other books very readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
Another well researched Cornwell subject away from historical dramas. Entertaining and great characterisations. I dont sail ...but it didn't matter!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking adventure yarn with serious undertones., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
An excellent tale of modern day adventure, with serious social comment and information thrown in.
The story was particularly well crafted, full of interesting characters set in a beautiful part of the world, with some diverting action passages.
Mr Cornwell' s writing has no difficulty in spanning the centuries he for me, is becoming the number one literary story teller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell No 1, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Crackdown (Paperback)
His books always gets you involved, and the twists and turns is what I like, this book was an OK read

5.0 out of 5 stars Crackdown, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
Like all his stuff, Great read!!! Good story line and very strong characters, as always, loved it Rock on Bernard Cornwell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›