on 30 September 2005
I like other readers was drawn in by the cover and the blurb on the back. What a mistake, this book was very dull. It has occasional and I emphasise the occasional funny moments but on the whole is nothing more than a newspaper column strung together. The other annoying thing is that I wasted £4 when it only took me an hour to read. The text is the size of a childs first reading book. If you feel really compelled to read this for whatever reason don't buy it, borrow it from a friend or the library and invest your money in something that will last you longer than you're train ride to work.
0Comment19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2011
As a recent mother myself I thought this might be a humorous take on what is an incredibly hard job. How wrong could I be? It is taking considerable force of will not to swear when I refer to the ****ing irritating section on "finding an au pair", the ****ing annoying chapter where she's upset because her au pair and cleaner are on holiday and how ****ing irritating it is that no-one else sees walking her dog has a job rather than her leisure time.

Woe is ****ing me.

If I could give this woman a slap I frankly would and I'm not a violent person.
on 3 February 2005
As an avid 'chick-Lit' reader and also a new mother, I thought this book would be 'right up my street', so to speak.After reading positive reviews about the book, I gleefully began to read with much anticipation, awaiting the hilarious tales and clever observations it was supposed to contain. All that I can say is that I was sorely disappointed. Throughout, I spent the whole time waiting for something to happen, and nothing did! I found the anecdotes dull and unimaginative; a run-of-the-mill catalogue of events, written with no verve or skill. If readers are after wit and clever observations then I suggest they give this book a miss and try the following authors instead: India Knight, Wendy Holden and Rafaella Barker.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2005
I only gave this book one star because it wouldn't let me submit it with no stars.
I bought this book because the cover looked interesting, and the blurb on the back made me think it'd be a good, funny book.
However after the first chapter I was beginning to wish I'd picked something else. It is written in diary format, with 12 chapters jan-dec. The story doesn't flow and I found myself having to re-read parts, and flicking back to previous chapters to remind myself who characters were, and what had been happening. The author has tried to make it humorous and it just hasn't worked. I managed 150 pages, but could not force myself to go on any more and read the remaining 110. A very disappointing read.
0Comment16 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2010
Awful! I didn't even manage to finish this despite the fact that it was a relatively short book. The main character (who apparently is a real person?) had such a shallow and sheltered life that I don't know how her publisher expected the average woman to relate to her. If my memory is correct, there was a whole chapter in this book about how the woman felt bad for get her cat neutered, because it meant that the cat could never experience the joy of having babies. Uh, yeah... The rest of it was all about nannies and elaborate kids birthday parties and ponies, none of which I expect to encounter in my life. I'm sure the niche market of Notting Hill mummies enjoyed this book but it did nothing for me.
on 25 April 2008
My hubby bought me this during my first pregnancy and what a disapointment. The fact that Johnson lives an apparent life of privilege in Notting Hill means it's impossible to feel any kind of empathy with her. The stories are disjointed; there is no flow to the book at all and I found her writing style incoherent and the people featured 2 dimensional at best. And what's with the massive font? I guess it keeps the page numbers up, as the content is so sparse.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
I love Rachel Johnsons books, not for their great literary merit, but for their ability to amuse and make me laugh. I also bought it for news of Coco the Office dog at The Lady Magazine, how about a book from Coco herself! The book carries on from The Notting Hill Diaries and tells the story of one of the families from The Square, who relocate to a farm in deepest Dorset. A good light read. Bought from Amazon UK
on 20 November 2004
It does not really matter whether or not you have a family. Rachel Johnson's book is packed with universal truths about life, love and work. Johnson writes with such emotional accuracy you end up believing you have actually lived through her experiences. I think anyone who has ever been in a relationship, be it personal or professional, will find something they identify with. And for anyone that ever wished they could say what they mean, Johnson gives us all a voice - and a very funny one at that! I love this book. You can read it in one go, or a little at a time. Or re-read the really funny bits whenever you have a down day. Just brilliant!
0Comment4 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2004
Diary of a Somebody for the 21st Century. I confidently predict that Rachel Johnson's The Mummy Diaries will be a top-selling Christmas gift and stocking-filler among the British at home and abroad.
Rachel has an enchanting way with words, and puts her stories together with a sharp flair for the zeitgeist among the Notting Hill mob and their offspring.
Knowing Rachel makes her gift for transforming her own life into comic vignettes somehow all the more awesome. Penguin has just published in Viking Hardback an edited collection of the weekly Mummy Diaries she writes for The Daily Telegraph. They take us from January to December in Notting Hill, with incursions into deepest Somerset and a few trips abroad, and are a wickedly funny little read.
I should admit that I am the Brigid featured in the episode that takes place in Syria, when Rachel violently vomits all over a tour guide's shoes in a bus, and is told with grudging affection by her husband that, whatever the means, she always has to be the centre of attention (this is Rachel's favourite story). Having been a prime witness, I can testify to just how skilfully she transforms and illuminates life's humiliating episodes.
There are many very funny moments; among my favourites is her description of the friend who casts an eye on the latest entry in her visitors' book: "The parents has written only their names and a scrawled address, on the grounds that it is vulgar to comment, but the younger son was moved to add a personal reflection of his own: "Crap weekend", his entry ran."
Yes, the diaries are about a maddening generation of well-travelled London middle-class professionals with kids, au-pairs, nannies, costly schools, stringent diets and a string of etiquette rules. But Rachel's self-deprecating style and sharp appetite for comedy turns their antics into an ironic study of the social mores and all-too-human foibles of London's chattering classes. What makes the The Mummy Diaries so likeable is the way Rachel herself never, somehow, seems to quite measure up. Brigid Grauman
0Comment5 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2013
Based on the quotes on the cover, I thought this would be funny and a good read. Unfortunately not. There are some funny anecdotes but these are buried in pretentious ramblings. Supposed to be self-deprecating but instead the style is just annoying and cloying. Save your money.