4.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, in a car crash kind of way...
Published on 30 Jun 2008 by Matt Kenway

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very honest!
Published on 19 Jun 2011 by Jeanette Heatherington

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very honest!, 19 Jun 2011
I had been looking forward to reading this book for months, and I enjoyed it but there were some things just not right. As a former addict/alcoholic that wrote diaries, the extracts (which are so small) read like they were penned maybe later. If one is in a psychotic state (which he describes very well) and even if one had the ability to write anything (most unusual) the writing would be scrawled, incomprehensible and rambling. None of the extracts are like this. If you want a book that tracks a rock stars antics, you won't be disappointed, but if your looking for honesty, it just doesn't deliver. The other thing I found absolutely annoying was the layout and print. Gaudy blood stained splashes and illustrations and lyrics thrown on top of text, made it very hard to read. I just finished a new book about addiction by an Irish author called Catherine Barry. The book is called 'Charlie and me' and is just so honest and accurate and real I couldn't put it down, unlike this, which pales into significance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it..., 3 July 2009
Claire Jones (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
When the book arrived I was surprised at the quality of it. It's not your average paperback, it has lovely glossy pages and the illustration and the way it's set out in typed diary form makes it easy to read, which is a bonus as the content is pretty harsh. If you don't know much about drugs when you start to read this, you will by the end. Nikki describes his addictions in lot's of graphic detail, you can actually feel how out of control he is in some parts.
If you're a Motley Crue fan then you 'll love this book!!
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, in a car crash kind of way..., 30 Jun 2008
The bulk of the text is Nikki's actual journal entries taken from a year of a very dark time in his life, with various Motley Crue alumni interjecting with their opinions and viewpoints. It makes for compulsive but often quite uncomfortable reading, not so much because of the casual way he talks you through horrific experiences of hard drug addiction but because of things he did...I mean, I've always thought Nikki Sixx is one of the coolest people in rock/metal/whatever, but really you just find yourself putting the book down at times and thinking "this guy was a complete d*ckhead!"...the modern-day Sixx says as much himself towards the end of the book. He seems to have undergone a dramatic personality change following the events described in this book, thankfully.

It's not unlike reading Frey's "A Million Little Pieces", there's something horribly fascinating about it. I was very glad that there's some kind of redemption at the end of it all - Sixx got married (several times) and has a family that he obviously thinks the world of, and even mended fences with his mother and his long-suffering Crue bandmates.

I think I'll go & check out the Sixx AM soundtrack...

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 7 Jun 2009
R. N. Hicks "Roger Hicks" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This book gives a great insight into the life of a rock star, and shows in great detail what a mess his life was in. It is an honest account of the highs and lows, without the traditional pomposity found in similar volumes. What makes this book so special is the notes added at the present day by friends, band members, managers and Nikki himself to clarify or explain the diary entries. I recommend purchasing the cd by Sixx AM which goes with the book, and sets some of the more poignant entries to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, eye opening and worth every penny!!!, 20 July 2008
When I started reading this book I found it very difficult to put down!! Nikki Sixx has poured his heart and soul into 'the heroin diaries' and its as fascinating as it is witty and in parts very sad.
A lot of close friends and family members have contributed and often shed Nikki in a rather negative light (and some embarassing stories for Slash too!) but he doesnt try to sugarcoat anything and admits to being difficult!
I sent a copy of this book to my friend who has been through similar situations in his life, he's already read it twice and has about 10 people waiting to borrow it!
The layout and artwork of the book is excellent and I'd strongly reccomend you listen to the 'Heroin Diaries Soundtrack' by Sixx AM....Its not very Motley Crue but it's very good, especially the tracks 'Life is Beautiful' and 'Accidents can happen'
Rock and Roll has always been my therapy and now so is this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read, 11 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Heroin Diaries (Hardcover)
The Heroin Diaries is a tragically honest portrayal of Nikki Sixx's life and mind. Though a lot of parts in this book are amusing, you can sense the darkness beneath each event. I couldn't put this book down and will definitely be reading it again. The Heroin Diaries definitely does not disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome reading, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a fan of Motley Crue, but I decided to give this book a go. I was not disappointed. The book is a diary written from Dec 86 to Dec 87 and is interspersed with people talking about events written in the diary from todays (2006) perspective. Contributors range from Motley members to Slash, from management to family members.

The book is obviously a must for Motley Crue and 80's rock fans. But even if you're not into all that, it's a really fascinating insight into the life of a drug addict.

I would recommend this book to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have my fave book again, 19 Jan 2014
I purchased this book when it came out 7/8 years ago and have loved it, lent to someone but can't remember who, damn.
I recommend heroin diaries to any Motley fans and anyone who loves the rock n roll life and wants to see where it can go wrong and also get better( Nikki is still with us). Nikki is a hero of mine as I love his music and is attitude to life, this book shows how badly he was strung out, how his band, family and friends thought of him then(1987), when he went full on with his addiction and od'ed .
Buy this book, read it and be scared away from drugs forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brutal and honest account of a Heroine addict., 12 Dec 2012
Amazon Customer (Wiltshire, England.) - See all my reviews
BOOK REVIEW: The Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx

To say I really liked this book wouldn't be entirely accurate. Although I did really like it, at the same time, I hated it! I found it really hard to read and yet couldn't put the damn thing down! Yeah, total contradiction I know. But what I found so difficult was literally watching a person that has played a pivotal part of my life, destroy himself through class A drugs. Needless to say, this book absolutely broke my heart!

The Heroin Diaries is a real eye-opener for someone like me. I guess I have lived a very sheltered life compared to that of a successful Rock Star, but to see the devastation drugs can cause, not just to the user, but to the people around you is a crushing blow.

There were times in this book I wanted to scream at Nikki for being so damn selfish and self-absorbed and in the next breath, I wanted to hold him in my arms and tell him that he could break free of this hell and become the amazing, talented person he once was before the drugs took over his life.

I don't think it's fair to say that Nikki made the excuses of his past to use drugs. With drugs comes paranoia and it feeds on those insecurities. Being a famous rock star, can, unfortunately, also pull in the wrong kind of crowds. People who say they are your friends, then ply you with pills, cocaine and prostitutes are NOT YOU'RE FRIEND! It just took a long time for Nikki to realise it.

I take my hat off to Nikki. He could have so easily have burnt those pages he found dating back to the late 80's, but instead chose to do something positive with them by turning them into this memoir and although gritty and twisted, in the end it promises hope. It's a strong message to those out there who may find themselves in a similar situation with regards to addiction, and if this book helps one person, opens one person's eyes to the devastation that they cause, then Nikki's journey could quite possibly have been worth it.

4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars nikki sixx,books, 14 Feb 2011
Anne Anderson "sloopy" (aberdeenshire) - See all my reviews
Not my type of reading material but after buying the album of the same name was inspired to buy the book.Have to say am really enjoying this insight to addiction,very bitter,sweet reading but worth every penny.Cant wait for nikki's new book & album to come out,will certainly be buying them.