Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 29 September 2009
Lisa had the most degrading childhood, one of the very worst I have read. It's a miracle she managed to survive the daily violence that was doled out to her from her stepfather. The cruel coldness of her mother is equally as shocking. It disgusts me to think her mother is out there somewhere being 'doted on' by her other children who so easily turned their back on their sister when she really needed their support.
But instead of letting that beat her, Lisa went on to testify against her 'dad' Frank in court last year.
Without the family support she should have recieved, Lisa found the strength to send her stepfather to prison.

This book is brilliantly written (without a ghost-writer as many are these days). It's honest, graphic in places but not overly done. I totally agree with the other reviewers - You won't want to put this book down until you find out for sure that she did survive her horrors. It's so frightening to hear that people witnessed some of the attacks and did absolutely nothing to help. The most upsetting one for me was the trip back from the doctors. I hope society has changed since then. I know for sure I would step in if I saw something like that happening!!!

I wish you all the very best in the future Lisa. Despite your lonely start in life you are now surrounded by lots of people who care and love you very much. Thank you for sharing your story with us all. I hope the more people that come forward may help those in similar situations to find the courage to take control and report their abuser.

Take care xx
on 19 October 2009
Lisa James, I take my hat off to you!

You have written a remarkable book about the most vile abuses but somehow managed to do it with both dignity and great charm. Your writing hooked me from the first page with your amazing spirit shining through. You are so couragious and brave to have taken that brute to court without any support. You deserve every happiness you now have with your husband and wonderful children.

I highly recommend this book. It isn't your run-of-the-mill memoir. This is a blinding read that you'll think about for a long time after. It thoroughly deserved its spot as a Sunday Times no1 bestseller.

Well done Lisa. Thank you for telling us your story. You will help many people with this.

xox
on 22 September 2010
I have just finished reading this book and was completely disgusted that a man (if you can call him that) was allowed to get off so lightly with the horrendous crime he had committed. I felt so sorry for Lisa who tried her very best to get away from her callous and vile abuser. What shocked me more was that her bitch of a mother just let it happen under her nose, repeatedly saying it was Lisa's fault. I have read many books like this, and this has to be one of the saddest, such a poor, tormented girl Lisa was. There are so many people around the world who cant have children, and then you read about these vile creatures who call themselves parents. This is a rivettting read and I finished it within two days, such a brave recollection of the horrific things Lisa had to put up with. My heart goes out to you Lisa, you're very brave and have grown into a proper mother, unlike your own mum. All the best for your future.
on 31 January 2013
I couldn't put this book down, the on going abuse that Lisa suffered made her terrified to tell anyone and even when she did she was ignored and even blamed for the actions against her. A truly heart breaking story and one which I hope shows other victims of abuse that there is always a way out.
on 4 September 2012
Once I started this book, I had to finish it because I couldn't physically stop reading and have in my mind that awfulness without getting the end and reading about the resolution. Lesson learnt: don't read before bed.

I think Lisa is such a strong woman to have survived through this ordeal without support from her family; her mother (though no excuse) seemed to have some form of post-natal depression which meant she didn't protect her daughter at all, like she should have.

I felt sad, I felt disgusted, I felt relief (when she finally got out) and then despair again (when her family didn't believe her). This man was truly a disgusting monster but her mother was so much worse for allowing it to happen.

For all those reviews that say how this isn't real, can't be real etc., I encourage you to read it for yourself and judge. The mixture of emotions I felt were very real and I don't doubt for a second that it takes a very woman to get through that.
on 7 January 2013
When I first started reading this book I wish I hadn't started because I just couldn't believe that a mother could let this happen to her child. I couldn't believe what Lisa was going through. I wanted to reach in and pull Lisa out to safety. I had to carry on reading as I needed to know that she came out the other end ok and in one piece. It was a desperate situation for a young girl, and without the support of her mum must have been unbearable. I look at my two children and I would kill or even die to ensure their safety and wellbeing. My heart truly goes out to Lisa and I'm so glad she got justice in the end. It's a shame her so-called mother didn't get to face up to her actions of neglect and unspeakable treatment of her daughter. This story reduced me to tears and broke my heart.
on 4 November 2009
This Lady, and she is a Lady in every sense of the word, lived through the most horrific childhood, but somehow as an adult found the strength and courage to fight for justice. Let down by the person who should have saved her, her mother, in the most vile way and betrayed by her siblings she still managed to build a life for herself. It is a shame that her mother wasn't jailed for her part in the abuse, she has no right to call herself a mother and is without a doubt the most vile excuse for a human being I have ever read about. That her 'family' would side her over the author shows only that she is better off without them. This is a book that is at times painful to read, but you feel the need to get to the end to see what happens. You will her mother to save her, as she so easily could have, and dispair that she not only doesnt take her away and make it stop but becomes an active part in the abuse tricking her back once she has escaped. It is a wake up call to the reader that these things can go on around us without our knowledge and may get us to open our eyes more to other people. The bravery of this woman and her drive to survive will inspire any reader.
on 12 September 2011
This book was one of several that I downloaded quickly just before a recent holiday based only on overall ratings. I didn't even know it was a true account initially but that pretty soon became clear. Beautifully and honestly written and like everyone else who has reviewed the book I could not put it down until I knew for sure that Lisa had escaped the clutches of that evil man - and seen justice done. How brave to find a way of coping with such crude brutality and maintaining such a lucid grip on her potential future free of it. Outstanding account!
on 7 January 2013
I could not put this book down, wanted to in know that Lisa got the justice she deserved. How anyone can go through that and so strongly pull through is amazing in itself. There was no holding back and so much detail that really made you felt her pain and loneliness. What a great end to a horrible start in life it was so nice to read Lisa found true happiness and courage from her husband to get the end to her past. Loved it and so glad I got this. Well done Lisa.
on 13 October 2013
Loved this book, couldn't put it down once I started, has such a horrible story line! Most definitely recommend it!