1,591 Reviews
 (1,155)

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!
Published on 13 Jan. 2009 by Barbara Hughes-hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Dawn
Published on 6 Oct. 2010 by C. Y. Cheri

2.0 out of 5 stars The not-so-grand finale;, 24 Nov. 2013
Breaking Dawn is the last (and the longest) instalment of the overhyped Twilight franchise. Not the most captivating of novel beginnings, this book is opened by Bella and her terrible driving, recklessly navigating her way to a gas station to load her fabulously expensive car with fuel. For no reason, Bella is lavished with presents she hates or doesn't ask for - again, this is an unexplained channel running through all of the books.
Internally, Bella is going through turmoil at the prospect of marrying the 120 year old 'love of her life', the sappy Edward Cullen, one of the most unlikable male characters recorded in story history. Edward is overprotective, creepy, forceful and has no friends. Bella is shallow, boring, pasty, reckless, and possibly mentally ill - I can deduce this from her nonsensical string of actions throughout the entire series, including riding off on motorcycles with complete strangers to see hallucinations of her ex-boyfriend and jumping off a cliff for the same reason. Naturally, they become one of the most glamourous couples ever to feature in a 21st century book and have became role models for teenagers everywhere.
The story proceeds, picking up with a hurried, awkward, showy-offy wedding ceremony, that leaves you asking why Bella invited the likes of Jessica, Mike and Angela - minor characters who are used by Bella and have no problem with it. After this confusion, the weary reader is swept off in a luxury first-class airliner seat (courtesy of the dazzlingly wealthy Cullens, who own about thirty top-notch cars and couldn't possibly walk out of the house in ANYTHING except design clothes) to Isle Esme. Now, prepare yourself for the most angst-y honeymoon imaginable. Bella gets pregnant right away and both she and Edward are perplexed (do the math, Cullens!). The honeymoon is cut short (thank God) because of this awful, half-vampire half-human baby that is only introduced into the story to intercept the most forced love triangle I've ever seen and make Jacob black fall in love with her, a weird CGI baby.
Prior to the disgusting birth scene, where the baby is both eaten and dug out of Bella's dying body, it decides to crack her ribs, something which Bella is not only totally fine with, but considers adorable. By this point, Jacob (yet another character to suffer at the thoughtless hands of Mrs. Bella Cullen) is narrating the book and manages to point across some sense. Despite Jacob's and Edward's warnings, Bella won't consider aborting the baby. She also won't accept that the baby will kill her, sickeningly convincing everybody in a scene of uncharacteristic and false optimism that everything will be ok in the end.
Laughably, Bella is completely right on that one. For the remainder of the deteriorating novel, she makes no sacrifices but gains everything. After naming her baby 'Renesmee' - a horrible new name for the next generation of Twilight fans, no doubt - Bella fobs her off to Jacob's 'Day Care' while spending all her time with her new husband. When trouble appears to be arising, Bella (for the first time ever) takes matters into her own hands, but don't panic, because she needn't have bothered. The Volturi (a weird fantasy boy band for villains!) walk away after realising their own error, a feat that has never occurred before. Renesmee and her man, Jacob, are waiting in the wings, ready to take flight, except an unheard of half-vampire half-human person called Nahuel makes a confusing debut and saves everyone. Yay. They should really get over this book. Even by Twilight standards, it is bad. No good role models, positive messages, just flash cars and pretty cottages. Vain vampires and werewolves (who had done a really bad job at hiding their incredibly OBVIOUS secret) have made Stephenie Meyer rich.

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Dawn, 6 Oct. 2010
C. Y. Cheri "The Book Worm" (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
I never thought I would read a vampire romance in a million years, but my friends kept urging me to read them! So I did! I really enjoyed Twilight book one, it was like a contemporary Pride and Prejudice with blood! As a reader, Meyer has a way of drawing you into Bella and Edward's romance. When I was reading the book, I couldn't stop thinking about Bella and Edward. I would lie awake at night trying to work out how it's going to end. I admire B & E's passion, loyalty and belief in their love. When I started reading New Moon, I fell in love with Jacob. He was like the antithesis of Edward - vibrant, cheeky and alive! I think he became a much stronger character in the series than Edward towards the end. Personally, I found Edward's obsession with Bella disturbing, but in Breaking Dawn, he became smaller and weaker. Anyway, why am I going on about the earlier books when I am supposed to be reviewing Breaking Dawn? That's the thing, as a fan, I was disappointed with the last book. I think it went down hill after the wedding! I was a bit disappointed when I found out who Jacob's soulmate was going to be in the story. It was a bit weak, I was hoping more of a Bridges of Madison County thing where Jacob ends up being alone just because no one else would do for him - it's Bella or nothing! Jacob was so ready to die for Bella in the three earlier books and then he suddenly changes track Breaking dawn, it just doesn't make sense. As a reader, you just don't warm towards Renesmee. I also felt the whole Bella pregnancy thing was too much like Mia Farrow-Rosemary's baby scenario? It was a little creepy for me! I wasn't sure why and how Rosalie became Bella's protector in this final book. Anyway, I ended up reading the last part of the book really quickly just because I wanted to finish it. If you are a Twilight fan, you will want to read Breaking Dawn because it tells you if Bell chooses life or love, but be warned, it won't quench your thirst!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!, 13 Jan. 2009
Barbara Hughes-hudson "Sucker for Love" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
OKay, so I am 27 years old and was an original "I am not bothered about some tortured teenage romance story! I am a Grown Up!"....but once I read Twilight I was hooked. I have now read all 4 of the series and Breaking Dawn was the best. In Eclipse we left off with Bella & Edward arranging their Marriage (well, Alice was) and were looking forward to seeing them live Happily ever after....Forever. Simple....or so we thought. The book is split into 3 parts, first Bella's story, then Jacob's, then back to Bella. There is a huge reason for this and I don't want to spoil too much but anyone who has read Eclipse probably already has an idea about why this is the case. It's a great twist! I expected (there's a clue) the first part of the plot but the second hit me like a juggernaut!! It was sensational...and also made complete sense...why did I not see it before!!! I couldn't put this down! This book also reveals the extent of Bella's strength as a Human and more and how her and Edward were meant to be more than ever. To say I am nearly 30 years old has me slightly ashamed of how passionate I am about this "teenage" series but then I thought what the heck! It's an old fashioned love story with a new modern edge...a Romeo & Juliet with Vampires & Werewolves instead of Motagues & Capulets. For anyone who is still not sure about the whole series I urge you to continue until you have reached the end of the Twilight Journey....it's one you won't want to miss!

1.0 out of 5 stars Untrue to the storyline of the previous books, 28 Jan. 2014
I love the first book Twilight, I like the second New Moon and the third Eclipse (a bit less, but still quite enjoyable read). However, the forth book of the saga, The Breaking Dawn, came to me as a huge disappointment. The out-of-storyline book just killed all the charm and magic of the previous reading.

Bella's out of blue pregnancy is just absurd since we know vampires do not produces liquids (meaning they do not sweat, do not cry, do not have sperm to reproduce).

Edward's offer to Jacob to have sex with his wife, Bella, in order for her to fulfill her sudden, out of blue, desire to became a mommy is disgusting (and stinks with fundamental doctrines on mormons polygamy and must-reproduce woman's destiny).

If you protect your readers from almost-brutal sex scenes between Edward and Bella on their honeymoon, then why do open a curtain on overly-brutal picture of pregnancy and delivery.

Now... The worst of the worst, the imprinting (or sealing) idea on the babies was a huge mistake. Poor Jacob. All the sudden, out of his own will, he became a pedophile. What Stephenie Meyer was thinking by coming up with such incredibly stupid decision. Did she think about most likely complications and negative public reaction? I guess... not.

The actual reaction of Edward and Bella on the whole imprinting Nessy-Jacob thing is another shocking puzzle...

Then, all first three books we hear how painfully terrible it is to become a vampire. You would lose your life (and any your other possibilities with it), touch with family and friends. You would be out of control with insane blood thirst for years. Apparently, the rule does not apply to newly born vampire Bella, who from ordinary-looking, clumsy, without-any-talents suddenly became not only perfectly model-like looking, graciously moving, but also full of talents. One of her talents is to overcome thirst for "natural food resource", the human blood, within one day (when even Carlisle spent a few years, decades, to overcome it completely and feel comfortable in company of humans at the hospital and other public places). It's all just too convenient.

The other letdown of the book is too much emphasis on how rich Cullens are. Alice's (my favourite vampire) too obsessed with keeping in style and wear-one-time-only designer's clothes. Esme's island (gift from Carlisle), two expensive cars for Bella, credit cards, bunch of money literally piled in every corner of the house. It is just all too much.

Edward refers to Jacob, the man who previously pictured Edward's wife naked and having sex with so many times, as "brother" and "son". Really? I love happy endings. And I don't mind an enemy becoming a friend at the end of the story. But brother and son?

And now last but certainly not least, at the end of the Breaking Dawn book we forced to face the "fact" that werewolves are not werewolves as we believed before, now they are shape-shifters. It is not just bending the storyline of the saga, it is breaking it into small incoherent pieces. What's next? Cullens are not actually the vampires, they are something else?

To conclude, the Breaking Dawn is one of the worst books I've ever read. Next few years I will try to forget this book and pretend that Twilight saga is only trilogy (better think on my own of other possible and more plausible end of the story consistent to the Twilight, the New Moon, the Eclipse). I feel that Stephenie Meyer's imagination is no longer interests me. I will certainly avoid buying any of her creations in order to protect myself from any further disappointments and wasting money.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you've come this far, you might as well finish..., 11 July 2013
This review was originally posted at: [...]

"My life and his were twisted into a single strand. Cut one, and you cut both. If he were gone, I would not be able to live through that. If I were gone, he wouldn't live through it, either."
Breaking Dawn, Stephanie Meyer

Breaking Dawn, by Stephanie Meyer, is the final book in the Twilight tetralogyand is twice the size of all the other books. Breaking Dawn continues Bella and Edward's story from the previous three books in the series. There is a small gap between the end of Eclipse and the start of Breaking Dawn, and other than wedding preparation, not much has happened. The first third of the book documents Bella and Edward's wedding and their honeymoon to a tropical island. Edward keeps his promise to take Bella's virginity after they are married, and surprise, surprise, Bella becomes pregnant. This is no ordinary pregnancy either. Within a few days, Bella has a large bump, which would usually take months to grow in a normal pregnancy.

There was far too much of Bella and Edward's wedding and the honeymoon. I really think this needed to be condensed into one or two chapters. It felt like the author should know all these details, but should have edited the majority out. It was boring, and I just didn't care! The honeymoon part was not only boring, but also painful. Bella persuades a reluctant Edward to take her virginity, which he does. In the morning, Bella is bruised and the room is in disarray. Edward vows that he will not have sex with her again while she is human because it's too dangerous. Bella then spends so much time trying to persuade Edwardto have sex again that she is actually begging him. What is that? It is so degrading to read about a woman begging a man for sex. I shudder just recalling it.

After this, the point of view switches to Jacob. Jacob is unhappy about Bella being pregnant but wants to protect her from his pack of werewolves, who want to kill her and the baby. The story reports about Jacob, Seth, and Leah's patrols, the love triangle between Edward, Jacob, and Bella, and Bella's rapid deterioration. This culminates in the birth of a Vampire daughter, and Bella's death.

Nothing eventful happens in this third of the book. It literally focuses on Jacob, Seth, and Leah running patrol and bickering because they don't really get along. When Jacob isn't running patrols, he's inside begging Bella to abort the baby. He and Edward actually agree on this. Bella feels better when Jacob's around and the love triangle continues. Jesus! She's married and pregnant and all she wants is Jacob. To me this is just too much love triangle. Meyer should defiantly have chopped this down. All the pining and brooding looks just annoyed me. Although, the werewolves do attack towards the end of this third, Jacob and Edward are inside delivering the baby. Once again, the reader misses all the action! Instead, the reader gets a gross scene where Edward bites into Bella to retrieve the baby. Yuck!

The point of view then returns to Bella, who is now a Vampire. Bella names her daughter Renesmee, who ages and develops much more rapidly than a human child. It isn't long before Alice has a vision of the Volturi visiting because they have heard news of Renesmee. The problem is that the Volturi think Edward and Bella have turned a child into a Vampire rather than giving birth to one. This is punishable by death. The Cullen family call on all their friends to join them in a stand against the Volturi. Will Bella and Edward find a way to convince the Volutri that Renesmee ages and so isn't a human turned into a Vampire? Will the Volturi even care? They've been looking for an excuse to take out the Cullen family for so long because they pose a threat to the Volturi's power. You'll have to read the book to find out, or what the movie. It might be faster and closer to quickly pulling a plaster off

The final third of the book is more interesting. Actually, it's probably the most interesting bit of the entire series. Why, you ask? Well, the focus is no longer on Bella and Edward being in love, or the love triangle. It's on the Volutri and preparing for a fight. The Vampires that travel to the Cullen's house all have different abilities, and these make for an interesting read as they practice. Plus, Bella's gift is also interesting and I liked reading about it developing. Of course, these interesting bits are tainted with some annoying aspects. For instance, rather than being a true newborn, Bella is a brilliant Vampire. She's in control and can instantly resist human blood. WTF! I'm sorry, but that kind of takes the fun out of having Vampires in the story. It also confirms that Meyer really just romanticised Vampires into humans who drink animal blood and aren't that dangerous, but are faster and stronger. It's just not interesting.

Final Verdict: If you've come this far, you may as well finish. You might want to skim the first two thirds of the book. I can sum them up with: the wedding, the honeymoon and the baby. That's it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't know, 19 Jan. 2011
Bryony Clapperton "TheLittleHippy" (Carlisle UK) - See all my reviews
Like most twilight fans I read all four books quite some time ago now and since then I've read and watched almost every other interpretation of dark romance/vamp love out there. So after watching eclipse for the second time I decided to re-read the books for about the 4th time. I must admit they've been sat neglected in my book cupboard for a while now and it was nice to brush the dust off them and start reading. I'm an 18 year old girl and just like most other 18 year old girls I love these books. I love the concept and I love how they make me feel and although I've tried I have never really found anything to compare to how these books made me feel. A lot can happen in two or so years and imagine I've grown up slightly since reading the books and have a better understanding of what it is to care for someone.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed breaking dawn just as much as anyone else, but there's something about the plot that I feel lets the book down. I love the start of the book, it's just how I would want the saga to follow on. The romance, the magic, the love and all the things that give you butterflys while your wrapped up in Edward and Bella, but it all changes as soon as the first part of the book finishes. This could just be my ignorance getting the better of me but, I can't help wishing that it turned out different and I feel the book looses the dark but innocent romantic feel of it. Bella is a character I've always found easy to relate to and see similarities between a naive teenage her and a naive teenage me. I feel like the magic of their relationship is taken away by the twist and I don't feel like I can relate to this girl in this situation. I also feel as though the book doesn't get back to the lovey dovey stuff for too long. I find myself asking why did Meyer go down that road when so many of her readers would never be able to understand it fully?

I enjoy reading about how the Cullens interact with each other just like in the other books and I love the characterisation of Rosalie and due to what we already know about her past I find it really easy to not dislike her and to sympathise with her.

The next part of the book is narrated by Jacob and when reading his thoughts and his sarcasm I found a new connection with this character and felt like I was really beginning to get to know him and then BOOM another twist at the end of his section. It annoys me just because in a way I am happy for Jacob but I find it odd. I understand it completely but I still see it as weird.

The third part of the book is narrated by Bella again and straight away she's Bella and you can understand her and relate to that same girl from the first chapter of Twilight. The most anticipated moment in the book is written extremely well and described in Bella and Jacbs sections of the book which gives you an inside and outside take on it. Things start to work them selves out, the two previous twists aren't as annoying and you begin to slightly understand most of what the characters are going through. I do respect the route Stephenie Meyer has taken with the books, especially with an ending that chokes me up every time. But I just feel as though during the book schizophrenia kicks in and the characters don't act or speak like themselves especially Edward and Bella. Surely I'm not the only one that feels this way?

Sorry, not much of a review, but I hope that maybe some other people can understand what I'm saying here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but it still lacks a certain something, 20 Aug. 2008
D. Galloway (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Well what can i say ... when i saw the release date of Breaking Dawn i was devestated. I had to wait a whole month and a half!!!
As soon as i first read twilight i was hooked, i absolutly had to read more and i got my wish with New Moon and Eclispe which delivered as well as Twilight.
When i finally got my hands on bReaking Dawn i was quite frankly shaking with excitment and anxitey at the same time. I had seen all of the reviews on here. I didnt want to belive that the authur i admired most was getting so attacked by so called fans. Then i read some of the spoilers and well ... saying i was surprised would be an understatement. My first thoughts were "what the hell was she thinking". However i had to give it a try and i couldnt knock it until i had tried it.

So i dove strait in and i did end up enjoying it, it wasnt as bad as so many people had made out but it was still dissapointing. We know what sort of writing Stephanie Meyer is capable of. The book seemed like a collection of fan fiction that she had stolen of the internet rather than her own writing.

The plot seemed as if she had to finish in a hurry and needed to just end it so she resorted to old clichés. Where everyone is happy and snug and cosy. No one has to give up anything and no one gets hurt.

I guess you cant please everyone but it looks like that it what she has tried to do. She gave the fans of Edward his immortal daughter and wife. The fans of Bella got her best friend and edward AND a child. The fans of Jacob got to see him happy becouse he was no longer pining for bella and he is most likly the future husband of the girl he imprinted on.

Overall fairly weak in terms of plot. Now the charcters is what really made me want to stop reading, as with every page the charcters seemed to transform from the ones we know and love to these new charcters which seemed very OOC. They seemed to revert back to the cardboard cut outs off the stereotypical shelf. Bella swearing, Edward using modern sland?? What was going on.

So it was enjoyable, if you like the fan fiction on the various websites across the internet then you will like Breaking Dawn immensely.

Well done Stephanie Meyer for completing the series and the for fame you have achieved, unfortunately our imaginations have been slashed by the lack of effort put into ending this phenomenal series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful writing, 24 July 2013
Ok, so you're maybe thinking that if I find the book so bad why am I on the 4th and final book of the series? Well the Twilight series is the thing everyone's talking about; some love it, some hate it, but half of those that hate it have not even picked up any of the books and just hop onto the bandwaggon. I decided that I can only hate it after I've read the books. I also love reading, I think books should be read sometimes, regardless of if you like them.

There really is not much to the entire series and I could write better than Meyer even when I was pre-GCSE. The entire series just seem to be based on how hot Edward is, so much so that in one of the books, (I can't even remember which now, they just merge into one long awful mess) when Edward leaves for a few months, she has nothing to write about and subsequently just writes the months on each page to show the passing of time before Bella's beloved returns and she can cream over him again. The only good thing about the book is that it's the end of the series!

Don't get me wrong, maybe I read it at the wrong time in my live and I would've liked it if I was a tween looking for something to idolize but Meyer has completely destroyed what people think of as vampires. Please, regardless of your age, just go and read something like Dracula instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 12 Oct. 2011
I have read the entire Twilight Saga twice, and has concluded with it being a waste of time.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

What really ruined this book for me was the 'battle'. The whole book builds up for this huge, epic battle, and then it doesn't happen. Lame, right?
Also, it never made me FEEL anything; when I read a book, I want to feel sad and happy and hopeful etc. I certainly didn't while reading this book. Meyer, you've got to make your readers feel more than unrealistic love. Make us sad. Kill off some of your GOOD characters too, not only the bad ones. Please.

2.0 out of 5 stars How to Ruin A Beautiful Love Story!, 5 Jun. 2012
Ms. KA Stones "Kate" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I'm a more mature reader & loved the first three books. The romance between Bella & Edward was beautiful. Then along comes Breaking Dawn..... The wedding & honeymoon was described beautifully & then it all goes downhill. The only way I can describe Bella's pregnancy is "Ewwwwwwwwwww Gross!" It thoroughly killed any romantic thoughts I had about their relationship & spoilt the entire saga for me! The banter between Jake & Rosalie is corny & the waiting around for something (anything!) to happen is boring.However, I did enjoy the relationship the wolves had with each other. The only reason I completed reading the book was because I hoped that the author may be able to recreate some of the beauty of the first three books. Sadly, this didn't happen.