1,472 Reviews
 (1,056)

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!
Published on 13 Jan 2009 by Barbara Hughes-hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Found this book hard to believe
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by M. Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!, 13 Jan 2009
Barbara Hughes-hudson "Sucker for Love" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
OKay, so I am 27 years old and was an original "I am not bothered about some tortured teenage romance story! I am a Grown Up!"....but once I read Twilight I was hooked. I have now read all 4 of the series and Breaking Dawn was the best. In Eclipse we left off with Bella & Edward arranging their Marriage (well, Alice was) and were looking forward to seeing them live Happily ever after....Forever. Simple....or so we thought. The book is split into 3 parts, first Bella's story, then Jacob's, then back to Bella. There is a huge reason for this and I don't want to spoil too much but anyone who has read Eclipse probably already has an idea about why this is the case. It's a great twist! I expected (there's a clue) the first part of the plot but the second hit me like a juggernaut!! It was sensational...and also made complete sense...why did I not see it before!!! I couldn't put this down! This book also reveals the extent of Bella's strength as a Human and more and how her and Edward were meant to be more than ever. To say I am nearly 30 years old has me slightly ashamed of how passionate I am about this "teenage" series but then I thought what the heck! It's an old fashioned love story with a new modern edge...a Romeo & Juliet with Vampires & Werewolves instead of Motagues & Capulets. For anyone who is still not sure about the whole series I urge you to continue until you have reached the end of the Twilight Journey....it's one you won't want to miss!

3.0 out of 5 stars Found this book hard to believe, 2 Feb 2009
M. Lamb (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I wasn't going to write a review seen as there is 200+ already and at first 'Breaking Dawn' seems like an ok read but I can totally understand why there are so many bad reviews. I finished it and a friend asked me if she would like it and I honestly told her no (which I was sad about because Eclipse was good) I also couldn't exactly explain how I felt about Breaking Down but someone stated in their review that it left them deflated, which I now realise is a perfect discription for the way I felt.
Bella and Edward's personality's (which they didn't have much of before) seem to completely disappear and Jacob's imprinting on a new born baby is just plain wrong. Most of the Cullen family are barely in the book and they seem to just accept that they can't win against the Volturi,theres no fight in them. I'm not going to carry on as others have stated the faults with this book better than I have and in more depth but I will say when your reading the book, don't think about it too hard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clumisly Written, 12 Aug 2008
**Contains very mild spoilers**

Breaking Dawn is the massively anticipated fourth book in the popular Twilight series written by Stephenie Meyer. The story picks up where the previous book, Eclipse, finishes with the main character, Bella, looking forwards to her future life with her fiancé, a vampire.

Considering the popularity of this series there has been an understandable amount of hype and excitement surrounding Breaking Dawn. Unfortunately, as the book progresses it becomes increasingly obvious that it was never going to be the classic that many fans had anticipated. In the previous three books in the series, Meyer has shown that she is an author not afraid to tackle difficult subject matter and potentially controversial attitudes. This is something that she continues to do in Breaking Dawn though with noticeably less success. While never the most subtle writer, what subtly was there seems to be missing and this may have something to do with what at times feels like shoddy editing. There are plot holes, significant continuity errors, and not infrequently typos. Characterisation occasionally seems off and Meyer tears apart the universe that she created in order to rework it to include a whole new set of `rules'. The genre of the book seems to change halfway through.

Ironically, Breaking Dawn is often a more entertaining read than the previous books. There are more twists and turns, more interesting new characters (both minor and major), and we even get to see the events for the perspective of more than one character (unlike with the other books). Meyer works hard to justify the significant changes that she has made to the `rules' of the Twilight universe, with explanations that, while factually impossible in places, are entertaining all the same. Unfortunately, what makes the books entertaining also leaves it feeling unbalanced to read. The exciting revelations about Bella are interrupted by `Book Two', which is told entirely from Jacob's perspective and while interesting at times feels an entirely different story as he tackles (at length) events that might have been dealt with far quicker. Furthermore, what should have been an exciting final climax to the book is almost turned into a footnote by events which occur several chapters (and many pages) earlier.

This brings us to one other issue with Breaking Dawn: it is simply too long. At 768 pages it is over a hundred pages longer than any of the previous instalments and this is evident in the lulls in pace and overly flowery descriptions that are scattered through the book. Unlike the other Twilight novels that are renowned for their readability, Breaking Dawn drags at times.

Breaking Dawn is a good read. At times it is even a very good read. Poor editing and occasionally dubious content aside, the problem with it is that the reader is too frequently expected to suspend disbelief and accept significant changes to the world that Meyer has previously created. With a following which dedicates itself to learning every facet of that world this book was always going to receive a mixed reception.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Amazing! *NO SPOILERS* for those of you who havn't read it yet!, 6 Aug 2008
Elizabeth (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Breaking Dawn is a fitting end to the story of Bella, Edward and Jacob, and all the other characters we have come to know and love. Meyer really has a way with words, painting a scene exquisitly without boring the pants off the reader with too much detail! It is a very long book, and in fact it has three 'mini' books within, from the viewponts of Bella, Jacob, and then Bella again repectively, and yet I felt that every word was required, and I actually wanted more and more - I didn't want to let go of the story, and I read the whole book in one sitting (losing some sleep along the way too). The POW switch to Jacob is interesting, if not a tad irritating at first, because the reader gets that much more of an insight to is suffering and (in his mind) rightful hatred of the 'bloodsuckers'.

There are lots and lots of unexpected twists and turns in BD (perhaps a reason for some of the very harsh reactions against Breaking Dawn - it's not the book many fans expected it to be, however for me it had everything I expected and more, so surely that's a bonus?), with new plot lines and ideas, and new and old characters; in particular, I really felt that the reader comes to know the Cullen family properly, and to love them too. They have always been interesting minor characters in the previous three books (with the exception of Alice perhaps-she was always more of a major character), but in BD they all come to life beautifully.

Some readers would argue that the characters change personalities in BD, Bella in particular; I would say rather that all that she has been through is finally making its mark. She goes through two life-changing events in this book, and comes out all the more stronger for it. She was always stubborn, and I found that her personality developed and sharpened, which seemed a more natural development than if she had stayed exactly the same as the Bella we all know and love in the previous three books.
Other characters that undergoe a welcome development and grow from the 2 dimensional characters that they were before, are Jasper and Leah. We get an insight into both of their actions and behaviour in the previous books, and I for one found Jasper to be all the likeable instead of the cautious and slightly indifferent character we were faced with in Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.

Not so much as a review from this point but a bit of a rant:
I really don't know why everyone hates the book so much! I think Stephenie Meyer is a victim of her own success, with fans writing their own version of events in their heads and developing Bella and Edward into people that that they never were! I'm not saying the BD is perfect, and neither were the previous 3 books in my opinion, but the characters behave exactly how you would expect them to, in accordance to how Meyer has portrayed them and bulit them up in the previous novels. They are S Meyer's creation, so she can do what she wants with them.

I knew a few spoilers before I read the book, so maybe I enjoyed it more because I was expecting less...there are some aspects of the book that I understand that some people might be less than happy with, with some scenes a bit more graphic than people might be used to. I personally wasn't offended by them and actually thought they added to the tension and drama of the plot, but I know this isn't the same for all readers.
I do, however, truely believe that the plot follows the only path it can (at the risk of sounding corney. I'm trying really hard not to give spoilers here people-harder than you think).
SM knew the outcome of the saga before she even wrote Twilight, and I think that that really shows: everything really comes together at the end, and I could really imagine how life would continue for all the characters beyond the pages. Some people were upset by the 'neat little package', but Hello? reality check: It's a book for teenagers (mostly) and it's S Meyer's first venture as an author; who wouldn't want to exert the power of the creator and make sure everything turns out just the way you want it to?
Sorry, I know im going a bit off the point here, but I can't help it, and if you enjoy BD as much as I did then you'll feel the same! NB: I was fully prepared to hate the book btw, I'm not giving it 5 stars just beacuse so many people have slated it! It deserves every one in my opinion.

Also, just to say, some people have been making a huge fuss about really small things, such as a name and a nickname for example, and I really think that's unfair on Stephenie! Yes, the nickname is a bit...well, yes, stupid, but the characters of the book themsleves admit this! It's not like they're living in a hunky dory world picking flowers and watching rainbows. The main characters react EXACTLY how they should act, and if anyone who's read the previous three books would know their personalities by now and should recognise that as truth. I think people should stop pasting their own faces over Bella and imaginag how they would have done things differently, and just accept that what Bella does is a consequense of her personality!
Not that it isn't a bit annoying but hey...

And back to the review...:
Anyway, enough of the rant. If you cancel your order, or decide not to give 'Breaking Dawn' a chance to even win you over as the other three books have done, all because of some stupid spoilers and rumours and bad reviews, then you will be missing a stunning conclusion to the saga. I'm still thinking about the book now, and when I finished it I actually sat in silence, in awe, for a few moments...please keep an open mind and enjoy BD like it deserves to be enjoyed!! Thank you :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much ruined the series for me, sadly, 8 Sep 2011
S. Williams (Finland) - See all my reviews
This review WILL contain spoilers. Please skip if this is an issue for you.

Although at 28, I'm hardly in the target audience for the Twilight books, I must say I immensely enjoyed the first book in the series. The second one was a bit blah whereas the third one picked up again. Looking back, I should've left it at that.

Don't get me wrong, Breaking Dawn is not all bad. The first part, told from Bella's perspective, is lovely. Part 2 with Jacob is worse, and part 3 (with Bella again) is where things get really bad.

What intrigued me about the previous books in the series was the intense, burning love between Bella and Edward, the care and tenderness that they showed (had to show) for each other to sustain the relationship and each other. Sadly, all of that pretty much goes out the window in Part 3 of Breaking Dawn.
Admittedly, the author was painting herself into a corner from the get-go: the tension and intrigue was certain to be lost once the star-crossed lovers were married and particularly once Bella becomes a vampire and loses her human fragility. Still, the way they seem to turn from eternal lovers into semi-platonic parents who sneak away at night for a romp seems to happen literally overnight. The romance dies in a blink of an eye. I guess this is kind of reflective of real life, but still, a huge disappointment.
I was not the least bit interested in the descriptions of them doting on their daughter while patting each other on the back supportively. This is particularly true of Bella who is even described as not being able to take her eyes off their daughter to gauge Edward's reaction to something. YAWN.

Secondly, which is nearly as bad, the description of the "newborn" Bella is so absurd and over the top that it's almost self-ironic. There's not a speck of realism in any of it, and the mundane conflict between the human Bella and the world of the vampires that was a hallmark of the earlier books (and made them if not plausible, at least believable) is simply gone. The "new" Bella is annoyingly perfect in every way: beautiful and strong, immediately able to control her immortal urges, a natural mother at 18 of a miracle child that never seems to be anything but happy and content. Oh, and her father is suddenly and unexpectedly OK with the whole vampire and werewolf scheme as well. Not to mention the sugary-sweet cottage and a flippin' sports car that she receives for her birthday. Gag. She's an empty shell and very uninteresting.

The much talked-about sexual references did not bother me at all; there is nothing direct or graphic in the book, much of it is alluded to only. Still, with the romance gone, the sex scenes seem crass and unnecessary. In contrast, the description of Edward and Bella's honeymoon in the first part of the book is very sweet.

All in all, I think the author really shot herself in the foot here, ruining the characters to a point where I am no longer interested in revisiting the first three Twilight books despite enjoying them before. I don't know what she was thinking.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no Twilight..., 12 July 2010
I am one of the many "thirty-something" Twilight fans - dragged reluctantly to the first book by enthusiastic friends, then suddenly becoming a fanatic overnight. Like many, I found the first novel in the saga to be an enchanting, captivating and beautifully conceived tale with an appeal for all ages and I have to say that I liked each of the 4 books in the saga a little less than the one previous. And so to Breaking Dawn...

The novel is divided into three "books" - the first narrated by Bella, the second by Jacob and the third by Bella again. I have to say, that I loved the first "book" of BD, and as with all three previous novels, literally couldn't put it down. There is a great deal in Book One of BD to gratify the expectations that have been building in the first three novels and, for those in the "Team Edward" camp, prepare yourself to heave plenty of wistful sighs.

And therein lies the problem. I believe that the success of the Twilight saga is predominantly in the painfully unconsummated sexual tension between Edward and Bella, which (Edward would have us believe) is a situation that must remain as long as Bella is human, due to his fear of hurting, or even killing her. For me, the intense vampire/human frisson is entirely pivotal to the saga's appeal.

The second two "books" of Breaking Dawn move on from the central themes of the love story mentioned above and become a soft horror/thriller/fantasy tale; and I have to admit that most of my interest waned after the crucial events of the novel had occurred. After Book One of BD, there is none of the delicate subtlety of the previous novels which completely captured my imagination and made me fall in love with something I would never normally dream of reading. On the plus side, I liked that Stephenie Meyer experimented with using Jacob's voice in this novel; and I think it worked well. Also - I thought that the last crucial event that Bella experiences (depicted at the start of Book Three and narrated by Bella herself) was extremely well written and, as with the earlier pivotal scenes, Meyer did not let down the fans that have been anticipating these moments since Twilight.

There is quite a lot in this novel specifically that didn't sit well with me - primarily the new main character and Jacob's involvement in this plot line, which I thought was awkward, clunky and strange. I also feel that Edward's characterisation weakened from Eclipse onwards as he seems to have lost the witty, sardonic edge that was part of his charm and becomes a bit of a doormat. With regard to the saga as a whole; given Meyer's target teen audience, I feel she could have done a lot more to promote a few healthier messages - a couple of characters with an orientation other than heterosexual perhaps (maybe some of the vampires who are introduced in BD?) and less preoccupation with wealth and physical beauty.

Having said all this, I still read BD in a matter of days and enjoyed it more than most books I've read in recent years. Nothing will top Twilight itself for me though, and I think that Meyer was a victim of her own genius in attempting in the three subsequent novels to recreate its very special magic.

1.0 out of 5 stars The only good thing about this book was that it ended., 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this train wreck of a novel simply because I had to finish the saga once I had started reading it. However, I did think that it would at least tie up all loose ends and finish with the epic battle that had been promised. It didn't. This book was somehow even worse than the others in the series. Meyer seems to find something about incredibly creepy men attractive, which was first hinted at in Twilight when Edward showed his true colours as an overprotective stalker, and is now confirmed as Jacob imprints on an infant. The messages against abortion and sex before marriage were overwhelming, as was the ridiculous amount of pointless angst. Book one seemed to be entirely comprised of proclamations of undying love and pointless arguments that almost always ended with Bella crying and begging for something or other. Which brings me onto Bella. I find it disturbing that so many people see Bella Swan as a good role model, when she is really just a spineless, selfish idiot. Throughout the series there are times when Edward acts like a control freak and Bella just takes it without even trying to stand up for herself, yet there are almost no situations when she acts like a normal person and tells Edward to stop treating her like a toddler. The only time she ever got close to doing this, she started to feel bad and apologized! Anyway, enough ranting. So, book one begins with Bella driving a car that she almost crashes, and complaining about Edward buying her stuff. Once she gets home, she remembers when she told her parents that she was marrying Edward. They were both pretty much ok with it, and all the complications that could have made the story better were avoided. The next day there is a wedding, where we meet the other horrible, manipulative man in Bella' s life, Jacob Black. He gets angry that Bella is going to be having sex with Edward and almost rips her arms off, even though the thing he was worried about was Bella getting hurt. Bella goes on a honeymoon to an island owned by the Cullens, has sex and is badly hurt, but still begs for more. She finds out that she is pregnant, so Edward flips out, despite the fact that he can't possibly know that the baby is going to be dangerous yet. Book two: this is probably the most ridiculously bad part of the whole novel. It is told from Jacobs perspective. When Jacob hears that Bella has been ill, he jumps to the conclusion that she has become a vampire and tries to convince the pack to go and kill all of the Cullens. No one wants to, so he goes there himself. He finds out that Bella is actually pregnant with some weird hybrid monster thing which is killing her. Then, (and this is probably the most repulsive part of the book) Edward tells him to go and offer to have a baby with Bella so that she will abort her child and carry Jacob's child rather than his. Thankfully, this did not happen. The rest of book two is basically Jacob moping until Bella almost dies having the baby. Jacob attempts to kill the baby, and... falls in love with it. Not in a cute way, not in a "that kitten was so cute I fell in love with it" way, actually FALLS IN LOVE WITH a BABY!
Book three... where do I begin? This was every shade of awful. Bella is now a vampire, and from there everything that the earlier books said would happen went out of the window. Bella copes with being a new born very well, her thirst does not bother her, she gets to spend time with her dad, and she has a child. Then they find out that the Volturi want to kill them, they worry for months, rally an army of vampires, meet the volturi on the battlefield... and have a nice chat and go home. This book is the biggest anticlimax I have ever read. I don't want to sound evil or anything, but at the end of a series, someone needs to die. And before you mention Irina, I mean someone people actually care about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pants, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
The first book was quite enjoyable in a teenagey way. The next three were ok (ish) but this one was frankly just pants! It was boring and far too slow-paced. I don't need action all the time, but this book was not well enough written to be able to get away with so little happening. The first bit by Bella was ok, although all that nonsense about her amazing car, perfect wedding etc. didn't do it for me (where do the Cullen's get all their money from by the way? Only Carlise works and they have to keep moving around and changing their ID etc and yet they're unbelievably rich!)

Sorry for the realism, but this whole idea of Jacob imprinting on a baby/young girl is just frankly uncomfortable and disturbing. The author made a big deal of it not being sexual but let's face it, he's about 17 and she's just a child and he's fully intending to marry her etc When she gets older? And she gets no choice in this? Just sounds like grooming to me. Quite apart from the fact that I don't see how a werewolf would imprint on a half-vampire; its arch enemy. I thought they didn't even like the smell of each other.

And while we're on the topic of disturbing, I actually find the whole Edward/Bella thing a bit weird as well. She's not a child, but what on earth does an old vampire want with a teenage girl? What exactly have they got in common? Maybe I'm going too far, but I can't help thinking that at the age of 37, I wouldn't be interested in some teenager, so why on earth would he be when he's over a hundred? If he wasn't a vampire, people would say "yuck" and assume she was after his money and he was kidding himself. Is it really ok just because he's undead?

I didn't like the Jacob chapter at all. He was annoying and immature. I didn't like the whole Bella becoming the perfect vampire either. It was always obvious that she was far better looking than she allowed herself to believe but at least she was unathletic and clumsy. As a vampire, she was perfect in every way - yuck! (Apart from being undead of course!). How come she didn't have the whole newborn blood lust and lack of self-control? That was never explained. She was also the perfect mother with the perfect husband and the perfect child - double yuck! I actually think the book would have been far better if Bella had struggled with being newborn; if she discovered that she felt differently about Edward as a vampire or if she changed her value system or became a risk. It would have also been interesting for the child to be dangerous rather than omniscient. Perhaps Edward coud have discovered that it was her humanity that he liked all along and he could have not felt the same way with her as a vampire.In fact, anything would have been better than what did happen (which was not a lot).

Oh yes and the whole charade about Alice having abandoned them. Is anyone actually supposed to believe that and then be surprised when she turns up at the end to help perfect undead Bella to save the day? And Edward and Jacob are suddenly best friends? Purlease! Personally I like a good bittersweet ending. I like to feel slightly sad but satisfied that it was the right ending even if it was tinged with sadness. What I really don't like are Hollywood endings or fairy tale endings, i.e. the good guys win and they all live happily ever after, and that is essentially how this series ended. I know it's a teenage book, but come on, let's have some maturity and subtlety.

I could go on but I won't. I want to end on a positive note, but frankly I can't. It was just pants and I am glad I have finished it. For a series that started off with some promise, it's a big let-down. I hope to read something far better now.

2.0 out of 5 stars How to Ruin A Beautiful Love Story!, 5 Jun 2012
Ms. KA Stones "Kate" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I'm a more mature reader & loved the first three books. The romance between Bella & Edward was beautiful. Then along comes Breaking Dawn..... The wedding & honeymoon was described beautifully & then it all goes downhill. The only way I can describe Bella's pregnancy is "Ewwwwwwwwwww Gross!" It thoroughly killed any romantic thoughts I had about their relationship & spoilt the entire saga for me! The banter between Jake & Rosalie is corny & the waiting around for something (anything!) to happen is boring.However, I did enjoy the relationship the wolves had with each other. The only reason I completed reading the book was because I hoped that the author may be able to recreate some of the beauty of the first three books. Sadly, this didn't happen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 12 Oct 2011
I have read the entire Twilight Saga twice, and has concluded with it being a waste of time.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

What really ruined this book for me was the 'battle'. The whole book builds up for this huge, epic battle, and then it doesn't happen. Lame, right?
Also, it never made me FEEL anything; when I read a book, I want to feel sad and happy and hopeful etc. I certainly didn't while reading this book. Meyer, you've got to make your readers feel more than unrealistic love. Make us sad. Kill off some of your GOOD characters too, not only the bad ones. Please.

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga Book 4)
3.66