5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable
This is the first book I have read by Caro Ramsey. I am definitely buying Absolution now, because I loved Singing to the Dead. I read a lot of crime and this book had me hooked from the first chapter onwards. I finished it in 2 days. As a tip, I think it would be better to read Absolution first, as there are references to characters from the first book.
Definitely...

G. M. Petzl "Gaby" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab! More please, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Why did we have to wait two years for this? Is this author not contracted to one a year 'coz if not, she should be!
I got this, read it (it kept me up!) in eight hours flat.
I had enjoyed 'absolution', the first novel in the series. I was interested to see how Ramsey would pick up the threads and allow the team to continue in the wake of the end of book one. I was a bit worried, major character shift needed, how would the other characters cope if they had to become major players? Answer, brilliantly, they shine and sparkle off the page and Ramsey is a dab hand at authentic dialogue. The plotting in this book is deft but totally workable - yet the end - well I just didn't see it coming - and of course I should have.
Anderson is quietly respectful until the case of the abucted children comes a little too close to home for him and the author beguiles the reader in the same way the 'criminal' beguiles the police. Costello, the female cop, is the star of the book, the supporting cast are all well drawn and believable.
I'm going back now to read the first one again and I'm glad to see there is a third one coming next year.

Aggi

5.0 out of 5 stars super follow up - warning, you'll want to devour everything ever written by Caro Ramsay, 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Ramsay builds well in her second outing.

We are again led through a dark and gritty Glasgow by DS Anderson and DS Costello. This time the team are under serious pressure in the run up to Christmas with half the Patrick Hill force on sick leave; two missing boys and a returning rock star who's taking up more resources than he should.

Weaved throughout the investigation we catch a glimpse of Anderson's crumbling marraige and his confusion over his feelings for Helen Mc Alpine, his deceased colleague's widow. Every thing is thrown into mayhem with the threat of loosing his son Peter and eventually, Anderson is forced to question who he actually trusts and who he just wants to trust.

Alan Mc Alpine's successor is not finding her role too easy either and we learn as much about the team from her outsider's perspective as we do from either Anderson or Costello.

A thoroughly enjoyable read and a couple of satisfying twist and turns along the way.
Ramsay paints a dark and gritty picture of Glasgow to rival even Rankin's Edinburgh - - more please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caroline P, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (An Anderson & Costello Mystery Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have only just discovered Caro Ramsey but what a find!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed Singing to the Dead; it kept me enthralled for a whole day when I should have been doing other things!

She has an excellent style, very well fleshed out characters and her researh into police work is admirable. I am going to pursue her other books and have already pre-ordered her latest.

Keep writing Caro
Ramsey - you are a star - indeed 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Really good book that I didn't want to put down. Better than Absolution cos it has more than one story line and although you can kind of guess some of it there are still twists and turns right to the end. Highly recommended and only down side is no details of the next one so hope it's not long.

2.0 out of 5 stars Back to very average, 26 Feb. 2014
H. Lacroix (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Although not as bad as 'Absolution' ,there wasn't that much going on in 'Singing to the dead' and the mystery as it was, left me largely uninterested. I plodded along just like the police did in the book trying to find the two abducted kids and not coming up with anything much. It was easy to see right from the start what connection the Frances character would have to Rogan so not much surprise there either. If only some subtlety had been used in fleshing out the characters but every single one of them is a caricature, especially Lewis. People in real life are largely more complex than that and their actions stem from convoluted motives and emotions. Hardly anyone is enterely selfish or selfless! Thoroughly disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars a large number of well drawn and distinct characters, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
A large number of well drawn and distinct characters. Perhaps not quite as well written as the Karen Campbell novel I read recently, but in a different way just about as satisfying. Well rounded male and female characters which is unusual as I think generally authors find it easier to describe the thoughts and actions of their own sex. I think I will have to go back and re-read the first in this series again - I remember enjoying it but could not recall the storyline - would have helped with understanding the relationships between the various characters. I did think that the female sergeant who was introduced was a fairly large part of the storyline until half way then took a back seat from there onwards - slightly odd.

5.0 out of 5 stars sining to the dead, 17 May 2009
B. Hannan (glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
This was terrific. And well worth the wait.
> The paragraph that began 'Silence has its uses' was just brilliant. I thought the wriitng was tighter than Absolution and full of verve and spark. The twist and double-twist at the end was inspired. The author managed to pull off the very difficult feat of getting us involved in all the main characters after killing off the main character in book Absolution.
> Roll on the awards season - I think Caro Ramsay will figure strongly.
B Hannan

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing to the Dead, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Singing to the Dead is a wonderfully engaging crime novel with three very different stories intertwining together to produce a real page turner. The death of a pensioner in a house fire, the disappearance of two young boys, two feuding sisters and one bad judgement call by an experienced cop all add up to a complex and expertly plotted book. The characters are very well drawn with different members of the team stepping into the limelight at various stages of the investigation which all serve to heighten the tension when the cases pulls them and their loyalties in different directions. A great book, well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Singing to the Dead (Paperback)
Pretty good read, but not up there with the best i have read. i was quite happy to get to the end of the story.
Its a hard thing, to identify what makes the difference between and good and great story and unfortunately it did fall short, but i did enjoy it, but forgot about it as soon as i had finished and didnt rush to find anymore of her books. i enjoyed Denise Mina more, it probably just a matter of personal taste.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›