4.0 out of 5 stars Pride of the Lions

3.0 out of 5 stars ONCE WERE LIONS - THESE ARE TAME TALES
Published on 12 Dec 2009 by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars ONCE WERE LIONS - THESE ARE TAME TALES, 12 Dec 2009
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Maybe it's just me, but what I want is a no holds barred book about Rugby Union and not another over edited and sanitised bunch of "grey" stories. Some of these guys are the real "greats" of the sport and they must have much more to say, in their own words, than is said in this book. It's a good read. It's a great Christmas present for the enthusiast, but it's quite lightweight and doesn't go anywhere near the core of what much be a truly rich vein of tales from these men. Soon, please, someone publish a "true" rugby union book, without fear of upsetting anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pride of the Lions, 17 July 2009
JWA Drennan (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book has been timed perfectly. We enjoyed one of the most thrilling rugby tours in living memory in South Africa. Pride has been restored in the jersey. After the apathy of 2005, I devoured all the information I could on the Lions. There's been some pretty awful efforts in the past. 'Irish Lions' is still gathering dust on my bookshelf. A lot of books about the Lions can be padded out with match reports and little original reporting.

The strength of this book is in its original anecdotes. Some are fascinating and the authors have made an effort to talk to the players. The strong parts of the books are the older tours. Players like Jack Kyle are extremely open and amusing. The book weakens as the game gets professional. The 2005 tour for example contains no original interviews, only things lifted from Gavin Henson's autobiography.

I think this weakens the book slightly, as I'm sure the likes of Dallagio or Richard Hill would have spoken. Still, it's a really good read. I find I can't put it down and often am rereading parts. It captures the essence of the Lions. Pride in the jersey, which has just been recaptured. Go out and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 1 Oct 2013
I bought this book for a relative and they read all of it on the day i received it. They have now passed it onto a true rugby fan that has also given it the thumbs up. It arrived on time and well packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rugby Mad, 14 Nov 2010
This book is exactly as the sales jargon describes - if you want to get into the nitty gritty of the world's most famous rugby team then this is for you. It covers all the great games with all the truly great players as well as some of the more modern ones. I read this in about 5 days (I think that's a record for me) and enjoyed it all - the highs and the lows. I agree with the other review stating that the time of the turn to the professional era marked a distinct change in the book's content from first-hand interviews and opinions to comments lifted out of players' memoirs. Still, a truly compelling read.