5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Does it Again
It was with great surprise and delight that I spotted this, on 19th February in Leeds Bradford Airport; the best holiday read one could wish for.
Published on 8 Mar. 2006 by S. Bowie

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...Im not so sure
Published on 15 Feb. 2007 by LittleReader

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Does it Again, 8 Mar. 2006
S. Bowie (Melton Mowbray Leics) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anybody Out There? (Hardcover)
Marian is the queen of chick lit and in my opinion her best novels are about the Walsh family. Anybody Out There? concerns Anna, the fourth daughter and includes a mini, e mail plot involving Helen, the youngest and most eccentric.For the first time since Rachel's Holiday we meet all the girls together again and our curiosity about their lives is well satisfied. Mammy Walsh continues to be absolutely barking and serves up some hysterical one liners in her attempts to steamroller a family wedding. Marian deftly steers an emotional roller coaster
of a plot to a very satisfying conclusion.
It's like a big box of irresisitible chocolates; you gobble it all up as fast as you can then wish you hadn't finished it so quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Walsh sister's story, 8 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Anybody Out There? (Hardcover)
In this book, we find out more about Anna, the sister portrayed as a dreamy space cadet in the other books. In this one, she's grown up and not quite the flake she's made out to be. This book deals beautifully with grief and loss, but isn't at all depressing. Very affecting, one of Marian's best. Thorougly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this woman do any wrong?, 8 May 2006
N. Creed "Beach Babe" (N.W.England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anybody Out There? (Hardcover)
This is a perfect beach book. I have read all of Marian Keyes' books and they never disappoint. This book is hilarious, emotional and gripping. The only complaint i have is the embarrassment caused by my outbursts of laughter on the beach. I also had to put it down several times when tears rolled down my cheeks and people started looking at me strangely!

Marian, pleeeease speed-up, i need another "Walsh" fix!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody is out there, 26 July 2009
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is another Marian Keyes novel that features the 'Walsh' family. I had previously read 'Watermelon' which introduced me to them, and this time we focus on Anna Walsh. Note: You do not have to have read any of the others to enjoy this book.

In the first part of the book we learn about Anna and how she has to restart her life after an accident and how she cannot find her husband. Keyes weaves a great tale of someone who is desperate but not quite on the edge of despair (living in New York with a powerful job must help in some way) in trying to find her husband. Towards the end of the first part, we find out what happened to Anna's husband, Aidan.

In the following parts of the book, as readers we watch Anna cope with not having her husband now whilst she tries to hold down a job which had me roaring with laughter at the sheer strangeness of this world of PR and especially beauty products. We meet many characters along the way, Narky Joey, Ariella, Jacquie, Mitch who are all important in their own way in helping Anna. What also counts as a second storyline for us as readers and also for Anna as a diversion to what is happening to her, is the email correspondence with her sister Helen and her mother, over Helen's Private Investigating job with a crime lord of Dublin and her mother's obsession with the lady who makes her dog do his toilet outside their front gate for them all to tread in!

Keyes for me kept me turning the pages of this book as it was a diversion to my life but a book that actually dealt with some real emotional issues. Her greatest asset is making you feel what the characters are feeling but also that perhaps you are not alone in this world, but that it also takes time to put the world into perspective plus there is humour injected into it throughout. Yes your family is probably as strange as the Walsh's in their way and to read and laugh about someone else's as I did with Watermelon, I felt I was in good company.

A good holiday read, which will warm the cockles of your heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 6 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
I have read all MK's books, my favourite was 'Last Chance saloon'. I'm a big fan. This book surprised me. It had something that her other novels don't have much of, which is great depth. I was absolutely enthralled with the love story of Anna and Aidan and could not put it down. I thought the writing was touching, emotional and very real. In itself, the story was perfect on it's own, and then perfectly ruined by a parallel almost farcical/pantomine type story about her sister Anna. It unfortunately ruined what was up until then a beautiful heartfelt sincere book. This other story was utterly unreal, to be honest, I found it almost insulting to expect anyone to believe it, and it was an insult to Aidan and Anna as charachters and the poignency their story expressed. I have no idea why Marion felt she needed to thread this silly story in, other than for humour sake, but it wasn't funny, it was just stupid. I finished it though, because the love story was so enthralling and moving and the ending was not disappointing. I think this was a golden opportunity for a class act work of fiction, a fantastic idea, and I never found it depressing for one minute, if I did, it was the stupidity of the Walsh story intertwined which was rubbish and totally out of synch with the rest. Great writing, superb charachterisation and observation (Anna and Aidan) wish she had left the rest out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique chick lit, with Marian Keyes' typical dry humour, 21 Mar. 2010
This was recommended by my best friend, with whom I share a love of chick lit novels, and she also said that it was exceptional and the best Marian Keyes novel she has read so far.

I admit it was great, original (I'm not even sure it could be caracterised as a typical chick lit novel), had its laugh out loud moments so typical of Marian Keyes, I enjoyed it very much but my favourite Marian Keyes novel (maybe because of the romance and happily-ever-after-love story line) remains Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married.

What I loved about this book was that it was original, full of unexpected turns, and the biggest shock came after about the 90th page, but I won't spoil it for you. At first until that ominous 90th page, I thought it dragging and I was a bit bored, but after that it sped up and I couldn't put it down.

What I love about Marian Keyes' novels is her biting, sarcastic, dry humour which gives a unique and fresh voice to her books. And she didn't disappoint here either, how many writers could make the reader laugh through their tears while reading their novels? But Marian Keyes does it brilliantly.

I would definitely recommend this book, it is funny, yet is dark and has drama. The only warning I will say that do not expect a happily-ever-after ending, this is another kind of story, but hugely enjoyable and very entertaining.

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 7/10
Writing: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars I was in tears., 24 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Anybody Out There? (Hardcover)
I was in complete tears of laughter and depression for the whole book. It was great. I loved every minute of it. I have read many other books by her and once again she won me over within the first few chapters. I loved the fact that she revisited the Walsh family. When you finally find out the full details of the plot (I won't ruin it for anyone) its such a shock. I honestly didn't expect it. I was distraught! Completely hooked until the end and completely satisfied once again! i loved every pageee!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars laughter and tears - her best yet, 8 Dec. 2007
D. Cossins (christchurch, Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
Contrary to other reviews I found this to be Marion Keyes best book to date and yet had been slightly put off by previous reviews. I guess because I expected not to like it, after being disappointed with Rachels Holiday and Lucy Sullivan, it was a pleasant surprise to find I couldn't put it down. We are back with the Walsh family, who's characters we all love so much, and this book looks at Anna who is now grown up and with a job in New York. She ends up back home with the ever lovable mama Walsh and family while she recovers from an accident. I won't say any more than that as I think too much information would spoil it.I picked up this book as it was the only one of Keyes books I hadn't read and took it on holiday as a bit of light chic-lit. It is so much more than that and I think Keyes has dealt with a highly emotive subject matter superbly. It will have you alternating between tears of laughter and tears of sadness but in the end you will be left with the Marian Keyes feel good glow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, I love this book, 14 Jan. 2013
K. Roberts "La Preguiceira" (Galicia, Spain,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Walsh Family series Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I made a bit of an error with this book, the first time that I read it. I loved it, but in order to really appreciate the Walsh family, it's better to start with Rachel's Holiday, then Angels, to get some scene-setting to appreciate this book even more.
It's a shame that Watermelon, Marian Keyes' first Walsh book isn't available on Kindle. I'd love to read that, just to gain some more perspective on the Walsh family.
There's two stories going on here - as with many of her books (usually more than two, as in This Charming Man), Anna - kooky Anna from Rachel's holiday has got her act together and has The Best Job In The World (TM) in New York, but the book starts in Dublin where Anna is recuperating from a dreadful accident.
I don't want to spoil the plot, but Anna's recovery, her search for answers and how she gets ahead of the competition in her job, makes this book (in my opinion) a heartachingly wonderful read. It's a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...Im not so sure, 15 Feb. 2007
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Anybody Out There (Paperback)
I love Marian Keyes work and can still remember the thrill after opening Lucy Sullivan is getting married all those years ago but, to me, Anybody Out There just doesnt make the grade. Completely hooked initially - I couldnt put the darn thing down - until you find out what had happened to her and Aidan... Then it kind of gets really boring. Aside from the hilarious emails from sister Helen and her mum, which really make for fantastic reading, the story just seems to stumble on and on - I was waiting for it get going again but sadly it never did. Im a huge crier - have even been known to sniffle at adverts - but though sad, it just wasnt believable enough to get me going! Not the worst thing Ive ever read but certainly not up to standard.