5.0 out of 5 stars Sara Macdonald's "piece de resistance"?
Published on 10 July 2007 by Jane Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD!
Unfortunately I had to read this book as it was one of our Book Group choices. Normally, I would never touch anything like this and just a few pages in I realised my instincts hadn't failed me.
I found the main character very self indulgent even though she'd lost her husband and child in a tragic accident (if I sound harsh - believe me, I'm not).
She has a...
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by S. Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Sara Macdonald's "piece de resistance"?, 10 July 2007
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
This is such an amazingly original story with a uniquely complex plot - a heartwrenching tragedy, a dull marriage which ultimately holds immense possibilities - and Adam the boy catalyst. A brilliant mix of situations, wholesome characters - just unique. Sara Macdonald shows sheer brilliance in this. Why are her books so difficult to purchase? Why so few in publication? Read it. It's a MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant book, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
Very rarely have I been so unexpectedly blown away by such a moving book. I came across this book totally by accident as somebody had left it in the hotel library when I was on holidays in Cyprus and I had nothing else to read. The book is staggeringly good, beautifully written and immensely thought provoking. It depicts Cornwall so well through its vivid imagary but the wholly orignal storyline is what makes the book so gripping. The story is about two childhood friends who both loved and lost the same man and their subsequent relationship with his surviving son, Adam, the image of his deceased father. This book should come with a warning: it will keep you up at night and you will probably dream about the characters long after you've switched the lights out.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD!, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
She has a creepy relationship with a young boy of 13 who was her late husband's child and looks just like him.
All the characters were larger than life - all sweetness and light and totally unreal.
Don't bother reading this unless you want a numb brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come away with me, 16 April 2007
J. J. Clarke (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
A beautifully written book that evokes all the images of Cornwall. It has all the hall marks of Mrs Macdonalds writing with sensitivy, compassion and grips the reader from the start. Another great from a woderful writer. I look forward to reading more. Jeremy Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Twee!, 3 April 2011
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
Sorry, but what started out as appearing to be an interesting story, just turned out to be a rather predictable saga.

I did not really find any of the characters "believable", I didn't really find any of them "likeable", they were all just a bit too perfect. However, the effects on Jenny, of the double bereavement were well written.

If only they could have been a bit more ordinary, a plumber or electrician instead of Doctors and fashion designers, S.A.S. etc.

I would not have read this all the way through, but it was our Reading Group choice, so I felt I must make the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
This book fully deserves five stars. It is the story of a lady, Jenny, who tragically loses both her husband and her little girl in a bombing and her world is torn apart. But on her first trip out since the deaths, she meets her friend from the past, Ruth. They catch up with snippets of each others lives since they separated and they say goodbye once again. Jenny then sees Ruth's son, and again, her world is tipped off balance just as she thought she was finally coming out of her haze of grief. Because Ruth's son is the spitting image of Jenny's late husband.
The author gently guides you through the thoughts of both Jenny and Ruth, remarking on such simple things interspersed with very weighty concepts, making it so endearing. Simple things like lighting fires on wet Sunday afternoons, toasting crumpets and letting the butter drip down your chin. Reading in bed under a warm light, and watching nature from your window on a warm July day.
As the book moves on, you, as the reader, move on with Jenny, to see her grief ease slightly, and feel her letting go of the past. It's both sad and happy, and touches on the way we all sometimes want to hide away from the world in a kind of sanctuary. This book is absolutely wonderful, I could not recommend it more- a double thumbs up!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
Predictable, self indulgent, dull and at least 200 pages too long!! I pressed on with it in the hope that it might improve...sadly it didn't. It was the first book that I have read by this author and it will probably be the last.
Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed from the first page, 25 Mar 2009
Mrs. J. L. Beal "Joanna" (South Kirkby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
In true Sara MacDonald style I was hooked to this book from the first page. I love the way she writes, it just flows almost perfectly. This is the third book by MacDonald I have read and I cannot wait to purchase another. She has a beautiful style of writing and a pretty amazing use of adjectives. She describes the scenes so well I have a perfect image in my head. Her characters are deep and we get enough background of each of them to understand how they are feeling in certain situations.

Another book well written by MacDonald - highly reccomended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not finish this book..., 11 Dec 2009
Ms. RH Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
A book full or ridiculous coincidences and tired cliche characters. It is very unlike me to be unable to finish a book but it felt like a waste of my time. I simply did not like or empathise with the main character and ended up not caring what happened to her. The timeline of the plot hops around in a random manner, in my opinion it just doesn't read well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Disappointment, 12 Nov 2008
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
After reading all the positive reviews around, I was very excited to read this book for our latest book club subject. I was so disappointed I felt compelled to write to warn other discerning readers. Basically, a good (albeit totally far-fetched) idea, clumsily written about, full of inconsistencies and peppered with cliches; boring, predictable and about 400 pages too long.

Do yourself a favour and read Jamaica Inn if you fancy a novel set in Cornwall.

Come Away With Me