4.0 out of 5 stars Brillant but Dead Ending
Yet another masterpiece from Koontz. I just don't know how he does it? The idea in this book i.e. that of aliens taking over the world is brilliant! Don't worry though this is not your typical sci-fi alien book, this is far better. Totally original from the usual theory of alien take overs.
I would have happily given this book 5 stars, in fact I would have...
Published on 20 Feb. 2006 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better!
When Koontz is on form his books are well worth the time it takes to read them(Watchers,Intensity)unfortunately he seems to be churning out novels at a fair rate these days and I feel that his quality has slipped.

Published on 22 July 2008 by S. Williamson

4.0 out of 5 stars Brillant but Dead Ending, 20 Feb. 2006
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
I would have happily given this book 5 stars, in fact I would have given it 6 if I could have, if it wasn't for the ending. Very disappointing ending after such an amazing plot build up. Still worth reading though as the rest of the book more than makes up for a dead ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better!, 22 July 2008
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)

And in this novel it starts off great,Koontz builds the tension like he use to in his best days but as I read on, the story got more and more boring and as the norm for Koontz now, got preachy near the end,also like a few of his books I found myself thinking that he had run out of ideas and had just finished the story to beat his deadline,just like From The Corner Of His Eye a good start very badly let down by the ending leaving me frustrated as it could of been one of his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars A triffid read, 16 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
This is the third book I have read by Dean Koontz and I have to say I've been surprised. I expected him to be a schlock-horror scribe, but each book has been different in both storyline and style. This time we get a strong female lead, a short time span, some hellish (or is that heavenly?) creatures and some disturbingly nightmarish scenes. Its derivative of War of The Worlds and Day of the Triffids, but never the less a good read for those who like their doomsday scenario books.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but read other books by Koontz first, 31 July 2005
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
This was my 3rd book by Koontz and I have to say, while I did enjoy it, it certainly wasnt up to the same standard as the other books by him that I've read.
It took a long while to get into and even when you did, Koontz wasn't able to hold your attention for very long. If you prefer Sci-Fi to Suspense and Horror this is a good book, otherwise I suggest another of his books, E.G. "By the Light of the Moon" (Great read!).
I wouldn't choose this book as your first Koontz book because it may put you off of a great author and therefore miss out on some great novels!
Happy Reading

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate, 14 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Taking (Hardcover)
As with others here I'm a big Koontz fan ever since my brother gave me his copy of "Phantoms" which made this book very disappointing. The start was typical Koontz and had me spooked and trying to figure out what was going on, by the time I reached the end I realised all my speculations were much better than what I read. Normally a one "off" book from a writer wouldn't bother me but Mr Kootnz is such a talent it left me feeling a little sad. Go for Odd Thomas, a truly excellent book. All the bad stuff said, I'm still looking forward to Life Expectancy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A deluge of good ideas gets washed down the drain, 5 July 2005
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
When I started reading this, I thought that it would have been the one to restore my faith in Dean Koontz. Shades of the best of Stephen King passed before my eyes, as the "Tommyknockers" merged with "Dreamcatcher" and "The Stand".
Waking to a deluge of mysterious and disturbing glow-in-the-dark rain, Molly and Neil Sloan find themselves in the middle of a nightmare, where even the wild animals are running scared. Fleeing their California home, they find other evacuees in a bar, and soon learn that everything is terribly wrong. Alien fungal growth, ominous quotes from T. S. Eliot, and strange behavioral patterns motivate Molly and Neil to keep moving, but past events compel Molly to take all the children at the bar under her wing.
Accompanied by a pack of all-knowing dogs (including naturally, Koontz's favorite Golden Retriever), the little group sets off into the madness and mayhem, rescuing terrified children from whispering walls, strange vegetation, the walking dead and strange reptilian life forms, while an immense flying object hovers ominously overhead.
Around this time, Koontz pulls the plug, and the carefully built up plot washes downhill in short order, sucking away everything and leaving the reader high and dry, with just a bad smell coming from the drain pipe. Once again, he snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, and comes up with a downer ending for what could have been a great book.
"What her father did
Makes Molly protect the kids
Tutelary wins"
Amanda Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a poor ending, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
I read this book about a year ago and I remember the scary vivid mental pictures that the book depicts. It has an amazing beggining and as we follow along the main characters we are as surprised as they are on every development.

The book is well written and an easy and entertaining read, unfortunately the ending even tough pretty, doesn't live up to the rest of the book.
Nevertheless, if you like Koontz and/or supernatural horror genre, than you will appreciate "The taking".

2.0 out of 5 stars The Taking, 2 July 2008
F. Moore "Fergie" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
Ive read alot of Dean Koontz books (around 7 now) and this was the worst of them. The story its self was good , but I thought the way it finished and leaving a number of un answered questions (something that happens in nearly all D.Koontz booked Ive read, apart from The Face and Watchers). Dean doesnt go into much detail as to why people see dead , gore and horror when they look into mirrors etc. I was hoping to find this out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 25 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The Taking (Hardcover)
I am really a fan of Dean Koontz and although this book was interesting, it was not what I had hoped after having read Odd Thomas, which I considered a much better book. The atmosphere is creepy, but I never felt as though I got to know much about the main characters as the atmosphere seemed to be the most important thing here. Unlike previous novels, I was unable to really connect with the lead characters and find some sort of bond with the mains is essential to really digging your heels into a bookand loving it. Again, a good atmospheric book, but if you are really looking to "live vicariously" through the leads there may be trouble as I didn't feel I got as close to them or their plight as I did previous Koontz characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Advance copy! And its great!, 14 May 2004
This review is from: The Taking (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of 'The Taking' and let me say the Master of suspense has completed his master work! This book defines Koontz as did 'The Stand' for Steven King. There is not much I can say about the plot for I do not want to ruin the surprises, but think acopolypse comes to main street! Buy this Book!

The Taking