5.0 out of 5 stars Humour is the new black
Published on 6 Nov 2007 by In shock and awe right now

3.0 out of 5 stars "To everyone except John Prescott"
Jezza's dedication, above, is a little unfair, in that he and the redoubtable Mr "two-jags" Prescott at least share a passion for cars. I like Clarkson's refreshinging un-PC attitude, although not his complancency about CO2 (although he may yet turn out to be right) and enjoy his columns on cars, and on more general matters, in The Sunday Times.

But is this a...
Published on 3 April 2008 by Nicholas J. R. Dougan

5.0 out of 5 stars Humour is the new black, 6 Nov 2007
In shock and awe right now (Not sure--it's still early) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Hardcover)
Lately I've been searching for any and everything to make me laugh. Would you? Look at the general world conditions. At any rate, DON'T STOP ME NOW was it. On the same par as the works of David Sedaris (Me Talk Pretty) or Jackson McCrae (Katzenjammer) this is an irreverant work of political non-correctness that is bound to shock some. And a hint: if you're worried it all going to be about cars, don't. It's not. It's about any and everything from the demise of the British Empire to tortoises. And somehow it all works. Don't get me wrong, if you're into the car thing this book will work for you, but the genius of it lies in the fact that anyone can read and appreciate Jeremy Clarkson's humour. If you liked McCrae's "Katzenjammer" and Tom Robbins "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," then you'll appreciate this book. Also, if you like the "Far Side" cartoons, this one is for you, sort of. Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars "To everyone except John Prescott", 3 April 2008
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Hardcover)

But is this a good book? Mr wife bought me it for Christmas, bouyed up no doubt by my positive reaction to "The World according to Clarkson" the year before, but I have only read a few of the fifty or so "chapters". Why?

Well, I can remember most of them from when I first read them, 2003 - 2006, for a start. At the same time, some of the contemporary references were so fleeting that they conjure forth no recollection at all. For example: in October 2003 "BBC bosses" decided to replace DJ Sara Cox with someone. Jezza suggested it was "The Queen". I have no recollection at all what that was about - have you?

In any case, Clarkson's humour about cars is perhaps a little intense when presented in such a format.

That having been said, the full colour plates of the cars are excellent - you didn't get that in the Sunday Times. What you don't get, oddly, is the number of "stars" Clarkson awarded to each car in that paper. How much would that have cost?

This is a book for the "lavatory reference section", or from which to try to read one chapter before bed. Within those terms, but those only, it succeeds.

3.0 out of 5 stars more cars!, 8 Feb 2009
Td Gillett "bridgecottage" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Jeremy Clarkson especially his articles on the vaguaries of life in his collections from his Times column. However, I bought this book without careful thought as it is more about his thoughts on different cars than his general observations on life. I'm not really that interested in which is the coolest and hottest car, as long as it gets me from A to B fairly cheaply. So, it's a great book if you like talking about cars, not so good otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Car reviews that are laugh out loud!, 13 Oct 2008
Mr. M. A. Woods "Beanpod, anyone?! www.Beanpo... (Stratford-upon-Avon, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Hardcover)
Firstly, this is more than a book about cars. It is Mr Clarkson's dry, witty and always cynical outlook on the world. If, like me, you find relief in discovering someone who is still politically incorrect, chauvanistic and doesn't care who knows it you will love the book. I found a lot of myself reflected in reading this

I have not enjoyed reading a book as much as this in a long time. The format of the reviews makes this an easy read to pick up and put down. Reviews are about 4 pages on average with great photography. The first 3 pages of a review are devoted to a humorous commentary on something seemingly unconnected with a car. This is always rectified in the last page with a surprisingly insightful description of the car itself. I believe all the reviews have previously been published in The Times.

Many car types are covered; supercars to the lowliest of runabouts....they're all here. Genuinely useful information can be found within the covers....not just the eye-watering performance figures of Veyrons and Diablos.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this book for both entertainment and basic information on the cars reviewed. Someone who was only a fan of humour would probably be best advised to steer clear (amusing pun intended) as this is a serious work of car journalism too.

At the time of writing (October 2008) Jeremy has been involved in a head on crash but early reports indicate that he is pretty much unscathed; "My right index finger looked like a burst sausage, my left shin was fatter than my thigh and my back felt like someone had driven over it with a pile-driver."

Good luck with the recovery, Jeremy, and lets hope another book as good as this appears soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and funnier, 14 Aug 2008
Mr. R. J. Spencer "SPENCER" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Paperback)
Now we all know that Clarkson makes loads of money from selling books full of stuff he has already written in the paper but so what....who cares whether he's making extra money or not when you get to read this much funny stuff all in one book!

We all know he says he's writing about cars when in fact he just rants about complete rubbish for 3/4's of the articles....but who cares when he can make rubbish this funny!!!

We all know that Clarkson is a pompous, over opinionated, biggot....who cares....he's funnier than most other people you can read these days!!

I love this book....I think all the clarkson books are great but this one really is one of his best. I like the fact that they have made a bit more effort and actually put pictures of the cars he is talking about in the book. I probably like it more because it is more recent as well so the jokes are more topical.

If you want a bit of light reading, you know the kind of thing you can lie in bed and giggle to or sit in on a sunday morning and relax to then this is the book for you. Its light hearted, its funny, its easy to read and it offends 90% of the population which has to make you laugh doesn't to really!!

I'm not sure I will ever vote Clarkson for Prime Minister but I would certainly give him my vote when it comes to his writing. Dont think about the fact that he makes money out of this book having already been paid for writing the articles for the paper. It doesn't make any difference to you it just means you get to read all his funniest material in one go, which to be honest, is well worth the money!! In fact, with that kind of money making ability maybe he should be our Prime Minister!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars "To everyone except John Prescott", 7 Jun 2008
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Paperback)

But is this a good book? Mr wife bought me it for Christmas, bouyed up no doubt by my positive reaction to "The World according to Clarkson" the year before, but I have read perhaps half of the fifty or so "chapters". Why?

Whereas the content of a peperback is normally exactly the same as the hardback that preceeded it, be aware that the paperback does not include the excellent colour plates of all of the cars. As with the hardback, you don't get the number of "stars" Clarkson awarded to each car in that paper. How much would that have cost?

This is a book for the "lavatory reference section", from which to try to read one chapter before bed, or from dipping into on some other basis. Within those terms it succeeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Mr Clarkson, 29 Nov 2009
J. L. Giles (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Paperback)
Clarkson had done it again, as what's to become known as "another Peers book" ie: He holds back no punches!
Don't be put off if your not a petrol head as this book, at first, seems to be directed to the car enthusiasts. Sure, he talks about cars the good the bad and the "Damn right ugly", but between the car chat, which doesn't control the book at all, is the seething mind of Clarkson ready, as always, to let the world know just how and why it isn't working properly. I found it, as with Clarksons other books, to be an easy and giggle out loud read. Not only can Clarkson talk for hours upon hours about the shape, build and "Cortina type knobs" of most cars but can also do the equivalent with general hassle of everyday life! If you are a bit of a petrol head this book also gives a good insight to virtually every make of car out there he gives his honest opinion of them all(you won't want to buy a Toyota Corolla after reading this book). I read it cover to cover over a weekend not wanting to put it down it seems to draw you in. If you have never read a Clarkson book I would suggest starting with "The world according to Clarkson" series and trust me you will be hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 Oct 2007
R. B. Powell "skybluerich" (coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Hardcover)
As Clarkson writes the way he talks, you can almost imagine him reading it to you in his unique style, an excellent read for anyone with an interest in the world of cars. as one of the comments on the book says "nobody writes about cars like clarkson".

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't stop me now, 18 Oct 2008
Mr. Andrew Day (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Paperback)
Don't Stop Me NowWhat a fantastic read, you'd think this book would only appeal to the petrol heads. Don't be fooled. Very well written and it's super how Jeremy can twist his topic to fit the item under review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny ......., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Don't Stop Me Now (Kindle Edition)
Life makes so much more sense in Jezza's impossible world. However, there always appears to be an underlying truth amidst his preposterousness. A basic reality if you like, where there are many, many wrongs to be righted, and untold thousands of stupid, brainwashed people who need corrective treatment if we are to survive as a human race. Is Clarkson the messiah in our midst? Well, he at least has the same initials.

Don't Stop Me Now