4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
Published on 7 Jun 2006 by Lucy Felthouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Green's best......
Published on 16 Oct 2005 by DevJohn01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Green's best......, 16 Oct 2005
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Have and to Hold (Paperback)
I have said it before and I will say it again.... I absolutely LOVE Jane Green! With this said I have to admit that `TO HAVE AND TO HOLD' is my least favorite of her books. While the book started out strong as we delved into the lives of Alice, a plain Jane with aspirations to live a simple life in the country turned sophisticated city girl, and Joe, Alice's husband who loves the fast paced social scene of living amongst the rich and powerful in London. But as we soon find out Joe has a penchant for leggy blonds, which unbeknownst to Alice, he quite frequently acts on.
The relationships between Alice and Joe, Alice and her quirky best friend Emily, and Joe and his mistresses held my attention for about half way through the book. But by the second half `TO HAVE AND TO HOLD' really started to drag. There were long drawn out descriptions of Alice's dream home and too much talk of gardening. I also began to find myself frustrated with Alice for not seeing what was going on right underneath her nose.
If this is the first Jane Green book that you have read or are thinking about reading, please try `JEMIMA J.', `MR. MAYBE' or `BOOKENDS' any of which I guarantee you will love!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 7 Jun 2006
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spellbound (Paperback)
I read books like nobody's business and if I don't think much of one I can put it down and move onto the next without much thought. But this is one that will stick in my mind. Although it doesn't stray too far from the 'chick-lit' path (I must add I love chick-lit!!) it's definitely worth a read... it was a definite page turner because I found myself desperate to see Alice finally 'wash that man right out of her hair' to use a terrible cliche... the only thing I would criticise is the use of the house they move to as one an author used to live in. To me it only had a minor role in the book. True, it was used to move the plot on in places; but I didn't feel it was necessary. As the first of Green's book I've read, I will be reading more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jane Green - To have and to hold, 24 Aug 2007
This review is from: To Have and to Hold (Paperback)
Excuse me for thinking this but is this book not the same as Spellbound just with a new title!!!! Jane Green is my favourite authour I love all her books but how can you sell 2 books with the same story!!! Its not right.

4.0 out of 5 stars A single sitting book. :-), 10 Feb 2003
H. J. Wakenshaw "pootler" (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spellbound
Try to ignore the lurid pink cover, Mills & Boon title and the prologue about the mysterious author which really doesn’t add anything at all to this novel. Once you’ve done that, you’ll find this is a highly enjoyable book; one which I devoured in a single, delicious sitting. Be prepared to grit your teeth at Alice’s husband Joe, who, after molding her into the beautiful, manicured society wife he thinks befits him, just can’t stay faithful. Find yourself liking Alice more and more as she finally shrugs off the image Joe has created for her and learns to love herself. Lust, just a little bit after Harry, who is obviously meant to be with Alice. And lose yourself in the vivid world Green creates – Joe’s minimalist mausoleum of a house in London’s Belgravia, and Alice’s tumbledown cozy cottage in Connecticut, the world of soulless society Gallery openings and benefits, and the friendliness of the neighbours in Suburban Highfield.
Even though this is chick lit, the characters are far from one-dimensional, and the situations they find themselves in are very believable. This is a warm, touching, gossipy and in places pretty funny book

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Perfect for any Chick Lit fan, 18 Dec 2006
This review is from: Spellbound (Paperback)
An intense, dynamic and true to life novel, which shows the reality of the modern day world and lets some women know they are not alone.

Jane Greens "spellbound", takes every woman on a journey that if we haven't been through ourselves, we can totally absorb ourselves into and sympathise with. The unique aspect of the book is that we have an insight into each characters background and thoughts. Her choice of tense allows us to dip into each characters minds and shows us just how normal we all are when we have marriage/relationship problems.

Not only does it highlight "typical" commitment issues in a relationship, but also indicates exactly what we will put up with for the sake of love.

If you enjoy a sensible but hard gripping chick lit novel to completely dedicate a week of hard core reading - then this book is definitely for you. You wont want to put it down and by the end of it you will feel like you really know Alice and all her co-characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 1 Feb 2003
This review is from: Spellbound
Given the weather this week, I was quite pleased to have not yet opened this book - perfect excuse to tuck up on the sofa. Jane Green, as always, has written characters that you immediately identify with and care about. Even the bad guys (Joe, Josie, Kay) are human enough to make you feel their pain as life goes off around them.
Our heroine, Alice, is compelling, showing that there is more to life than the perfect husband, a sylph-like figure and all the designer trinkets a girl could want. The commentary on her relationship with her best friend is spectacular and most twenty / thirty somethings will recognise the themes in the book.
The general premise of the book is showing how important it is to be happy, and the effects that this has on your life rather than the usual chick-lit theme of checking boxes on a list and then expecting to be happy.
I have been a fan of Jane Green's since page 1 of Straight Talking (in fact I own two copies, one to lend to friends and one for me) and as yet I have not been disappointed. Read it and weep (and laugh out loud,smile,understand, recognise and be hopeful).

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, a many splendoured thing...., 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: To Have and to Hold (Paperback)
Whether opposites match, is the question when country girl at heart Alice marries her high school hero, big city high flyer Joe.

Dazzled by her luck, Alice gladly abandons her dreams of a romantic tulle wedding gown and flowers in her hair in a small country church. Hers and Joe's wedding is an elegang affair, completely orchestrated by Joe. And not only the wedding. Also Alice herself is quickly transformed into a well groomed sophisticated blonde, accompagnying Joe at the numerous social functions which he loves.

Does Alice know about Joe's infidelities? Probably. But it's amazing what one can "accept" when one chooses not to see.

For reasons left to the book, Alice and Joe end up in New York where Joe gets a new job. Alice hates their Manhattan apartment, but when they accidently buy a weekend cottage in Connecticut, a new life is opening up for her. She spends more and more of her time in the country, where they both become part of a community consisting of young families with children in the small village of Highfield.

Slowly, Alice is getting back to her true, rather unglamourous, self. Dressed in jeans and T-shirts, she paints the house, tends the garden, gets a dog and a cat. Alice is happy.

Can she and Joe manage to work out a compromise in order to save their marriage? Because, despite his affairs, Joe loves Alice and does not want a divorce.

Also, Emily, Alice's best friend from England, and her troublesome lovelife is part of this story about finding true love and keep it. And whether marriage is always what it's expected to be?

Not at all a typical chick lit novel, this is a story about love and relationships as known to most people. There are many couples in the community in Highfield and their marriages are by far extraordinary.

One may think Alice a bit naïve, especially at the beginning of the book, but that soon changes when she finds her place and herself.

Well written and great entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Jun 2004
This review is from: Spellbound (Paperback)
Green keeps coming with the literary genius and never fails to impress me.
This is a truly delightful read much like all her previous work.
A heart wrenching, true to life story that we can all relate to in one way or another.
I can't fault Jane Green with exception to she doesn't have a large enough back catalogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars How long till ...?, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Spellbound (Paperback)
I love all the Jane Green books, they are so easy and fun to read. Like this book: Alice is a lovely character to whom you can get attached so easily..., but she is a little naief!!!
When you read what te story is about, you know right away that her husband is sheating on her!!! So what i wanted to know was: when is she going to find out? when? what will she do?...
So i have to say i was a little disappointed: it takes her a very long time to find out
but anyway, it's a fun book! Jane Green has a way of telling the story ... its magical!!

3.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting better!, 27 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Spellbound
Jane Green is one of my favourite authors, but I wasn't too impressed by her latest offering. The main character, Alice, is hard to relate to and her "serial adulterer" husband, Joe, is annoying and arrogant beyond belief. The much-loved humour in Babyville and Bookends was completely lacking in this title. The fact that Alice is attracted to her best friend's boyfriend was obvious from the beginning and there seemed to be no twists or surprises in the storyline.
I'm hoping her next book will be an improvement.

Spellbound