5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite ever military book
One of the best books I have ever read and my favourite military book so far - and I've read quite a few. A couple of things other reviews I read didn't touch on.

- I found this a very very funny book. I laughed out loud, loudly in more than 5 places. Things like his descriptions of the crazy characters of his men; the mischief with the dating site, the fight...
Published on 28 Sept. 2010 by Mr Luca

3.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and easy read - but far too little about sniping!
This book is a fast, breezy read. The tone and language are of the 'cheeky army lad' variety - simple, clear, to the point, boisterous. It recounts the events lasting several months, of a British Army regiment (parts of) stationed in a compound in an Iraqi city at a time when there is a significant upsurge of violence against them. I am not particularly into this genre of...
Published 1 month ago by El Zilcho

‹ Previous | 1 2 342 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly life at the sharp end, 7 July 2008
From what you read in the newspapers, saw on the news, I bet you thought life in Iraq was a doddle.
Ever wondered what was meant by the simple phrase "heavy fighting", ever wondered how YOU would fare.
Take Rourkes Drift and stretch it from 2 days to 4 months - get the idea? Peace keeping was never supposed to be like this. Sgt Dan Mills tells it how it is, no trying to analyse why they were there, just that they were and had a job to do.
It is no wonder the MOD were against it being published. The Government just do not want us, safe at home, to know just what a mess they have got our troops into. Those of a 'politically correct' and nervous disposition should not read this book. It is a no holds barred tale of what "heavy fighting" actually means and makes you proud of our armed forces.
If Sgt Mills is at a loss of what to do in civvy street - more writing like this please. Only someone who has been in the exclusive 'front line' club can inject that realism into fiction.
I read this book cover to cover in only a few days and then......I really, really wanted to read it again but this time with the map in front of me so I didn't need to keep flicking to the front of the book and back again. I am trying to read my next book - but the idea of reading Sniper One again just won't go away.
How often does that happen?
Despite books having better pictures, this book would make a blockbuster film, if only to show that there were others than Yanks out there: but only if it is true to the written word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to the best book I have ever read., 9 May 2008
M. Taylor "Jayeftee" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is possibly the best book I have ever read, very well written and keeps you turning page after page, just impossible to put down.
It is said this is a true story I have no reason to doubt this. politicians should read this maybe they might equip our soldiers a litte better, with the best of everthing right down to the rifles. The best of everything for the best soldiers in the world, well done lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work & a first rate book, 18 Aug. 2008
M. Lewis (Cardiff, UK.) - See all my reviews
I recently read this book whilst on holiday & I couldn't believe how quickly I was diving through the pages, Sgt Mills immerses you in the action straight away and his straight talking style is to be commended.

I know that war and killing isn't very PC but this is the very job that the politicians and by definition the British public put our armed forces out there to do, Peace Keeping as the book suggests is an interesting idea but during that time period (quite likely still now) in Iraq it seems truly naive.

To the reviewer who only gave 2 stars and questioned the gun ho nature of the book and how awful it is to glorify killing, I truly think you've missed the point. I believe it's fair to say that every soldier or indeed person who trains for something to the degree that our armed forces train wish to use the skills they possess and on this occasion that happens to be winning wars, to bemoan a person for taking pride in their work is in my opinion very back to front thinking and I'm glad you're not out on our front lines.

I think it also fair to say that Sgt Mills demonstrates that force was only used as a means of defence under strict rules of engagement designed to win 'hearts and minds' and this was only changed at a higher level once it was understood that the PWRR was at war with the insurgents in Al Amarah.

Overall this has to be one of the best books I've ever read & I feel fortunate to have found it on the shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly fascinating and amazing read, 5 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege (Kindle Edition)
I am 16 and I bought this book with the desire to gain a better understanding and an insight into the jobs these soldiers do and their experiences: an amazing book outlining the truly heroic acts and bravery of our forces. the books is full of some truly gripping action as well as maintaining it's realistic approach without over exaggerating one word. this is balanced with calmer scenes showing the more mundane aspects of a soldiers life. A beautiful read allowing you to fully respect and appreciate the bravery and outstanding courage of these soldiers. another amazing book and would recommend to anyone is 'In foreign fields' by Dan collins, probably even better than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life at the Sharp End, 12 Sept. 2008
For those who have read 'Dusty Warriors', by Prof. Richard Holmes, this book will in parts seem familiar, as its events all took place during the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment's deployment to Iraq in 2004. While Prof. Holmes account chronicled the events of the whole battlegroup, this book deals with those events encountered in and around CIMIC House in Al-Amarah, by that regiment's 'Y' Company and in particular by their Sniper Platoon, led by the author, Sgt. Dan Mills.
Surrounded by hostile insurgents latterly, the siege of CIMIC House during this tour has been likened to a modern-day Rorke's Drift, except the 'Zulus' in this case had Mortars, RPG's and Rockets in their arsenal! In one 10-day period alone, there were 525 seperate mortar bombs launched at the defenders, who upheld the finest traditions of the British Army in their defence of this small compound, literally almost to the last round until eventually relieved by a column of some 100 vehicles, including 12 Challenger II tanks and seventy-odd Warrior AFV's, who fought through the city to reach the beleagured defenders.
I devoured this book in short time. It is one of the best first-hand accounts of modern soldiering I have read, told in the honest and often humorous language of the typical British Tom. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars On target, 4 Sept. 2008
lifeclearout (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to anybody who is interested in how the war in Iraq was really fought. Dan Mills writes well and is strong on the (much-misunderstood) role of snipers in modern warfare. He's also very informative on some of the countless cock-ups that led to injuries and death for soldiers. Particularly harrowing was his account of the American troop convoy on their way from Baghdad to Kuwait who passed through the area in which he was working. Nobody told them that it was in the middle of some ferocious fighting. Result: convoy was ambushed; result: (pointless) loss of life and multiple injuries.

I do realise that books like this one will, of course, seek to paint as good a picture as possible of our troops. But from being somebody who was always fairly anti-Army I now view our soldiers with total respect. In Iraq they had to cope with ludicrous rules of engagement, in nightmarish conditions, all too often using kit that wasn't up to the job. More power to people like Dan Mills for letting us know how they coped.

4.0 out of 5 stars The British Alamo, 5 Oct. 2007
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an astonishing tale of British troops in Iraq under seige from local insurgents.
The Prince of Wales Regiment are keen to get out to Iraq and get 'stuck in' and this true tale is told by the Sergeant in charge of a small sniper platoon. The action starts almost straight away and ends up with the troops with their backs to the wall defending a complex of buildings against constant morder and sniper attack, I think this was the longest 'engagement' the British Army has had since Korea.
The soldiers concerned thrive in the heat of action and as the story unfolds, you feel you are there and you can feel every bullet whip by.
This is an astonishing and vivid account of battle and how professional and brave our troops were. There is no gloss to this which makes it all the better.
This is the best account of battle I have ever read and I think shows just how good our front line troops are. It gives an insight to the many issues being faced in Iraq but has a strong focus on the one violent incident.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but with a small tad of hipocracy, 10 Sept. 2012
Great book with a trueful account that was definately not sugar coated. One thing I found funny was that while dan was not a conformist (at one point early in the book he says that they would walk around barracks at home with shirts hanging out and unshaven) Dan was critical of the IRAQI police that done the same. That said I couldnt put the book down.

I also read Tim Collins account of the conflict (rules of engagement) while he served in IRAQ he served there before Dan and stayed in the same area for a while. While Tim collins described the British cemetary the came across in the town as well maintained by an Iraqi family and the friendly response of the people in the town, Dans account in his book describes that they came across the same cemetary and it was completely destroyed. I suppose having read Tim collins book I was disappointed that things had changed so much, I suppose this is the nature of war.

Dan great book mate and say a big hello to Natalie!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege, 3 July 2010
This is one of the best true story books I've read in a long long time. There's a nice introduction to each member of the sniper team where the author gives his characterization of the individual. It has a personal yet professional feel. It reads quite 'Andy MCNAB' in style.

The book just had you wanting to turn page after page, it was hard to put down. These soldiers were right in the thick of it, the battle was almost constant. The author, Sgt Dan MILLS, takes you on the ground and out on patrol with his team, he awakens you to just what conditions and pressure our soldiers are under. This battle was personal to every member of the group, losing friends but never giving up any ground that didn't have to be given to the enemy. There was a siege mentality shown because that is exactly what these brave men had to endure and overcome and they did it with pure dogged determination.

Great book, I can't recommend it highly enough. JUST BUY IT!

10/10

HUNTER

4.0 out of 5 stars Rip-roaring Boys' Own stuff., 17 Mar. 2011
R. E. Lee "RELinSpain" (Spain) - See all my reviews
I read this in tandem with 'Marine Sniper. 93 Confirmed Kills.' My word ! What a difference a storyteller makes.
The title for my review says it all. This is entertaining for the layman and is consequently a gripping read.
Ex-snipers out there will doubtless be gagging into their porridge at the 'gung-ho' language and all round swagger of the book. I can pay it a compliment or a the reverse, depending on your viewpoint, if I say it's very much in the style of Andy McNab and Bravo-Two-Zero. No bad thing if you want to sell books, but perhaps it's not for the purists among you.
The language is 'NCO ripe,' as you'd expect from 'hands on' front line combat troops; no problem there. To reduce a spur of the moment expletive to 'blinking 'ek' would have been risible. The subject matter is sometimes scatological, but then senior NCO's don't talk about opera or flower-arranging.
Rollicking entertainment.
I await my copy of 'Junior Officers' Reading Club,' for comparison.

‹ Previous | 1 2 342 | Next ›