5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant fourth book
The fourth Artemis Fowl book from Eoin Colfer is another brilliantly written story that is original and enjoyable. This time, the fairy people realise they need Artemis Fowl again after an old friend (the clue is in the title) returns to get her revenge. However there is one teensy problem ...
... Artemis remembers nothing about fairies. His mind wiped at the end of...
Published on 3 May 2005 by Mr. K. Udagawa

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY this if you want the unabridged version
I bought this thinking that it was the unabridged version as there was no description to say that it wasn't. There was my first mistake.
When it arrived, the packaging said it was the abridged version. I therefore organised returning the product.
Published on 2 Sep 2009 by Mark Robinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story brought to life in full., 27 Oct 2006
Another great Artemis Fowl story brought to life by Nathaniel Parker with all his wonderful character accents. The smarmy Artemis, muscular Butler, loyal Holly, bumptious Commander Root and Mulch with his prolific bum-flap are all back to entertain us again. This may well be better appreciated if you have heard/read the other Artemis Fowl stories first but does stand alone. Lots of cliff hangers, comedy and emotion as one of the long-standing characters is killed off. Well worth the ordering wait to have the full version rather than the abridged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im glad its back!, 19 May 2006
I, like many others, feared for the worst when the 3rd book ended with little hope for a 4th.But Eoin Colfer stepped up to the plate once again producing the Opaldeception, possibly the best yet in the series.

There are so many twists, so much action and such wit you'll bereeling by the end. The plot is clever, intriguing and unpredictable. A must read for any Artemis Fowl fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brillient, as if by magic, 1 Oct 2006
Personally I think Eoin Colfer is a great author but with the Artemis Fowl books he has really out done himself. The first book is defenitely the best it's full of suspense, magic and close encounters. From the very fist paragraph it had me hooked, it is definetly a book to read if you like suspense filled action packed, with a little bit of violence, books. It is simply brilliant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars By far my favourite in the series., 24 Nov 2007
L. Forder (England) - See all my reviews
Not only is it my favourite Artemis Fowl book, it instantly became my favourite book ever.
Eoin Colfer mixes magic with science in a way that, in my opinion, no other author can. This book, in particular, is not only a brilliantly written fantasy, but also extremely funny. It's good for both children and adults.
Book 4 in the series sees the return of the evil pixie, Opal Koboi, from book 2, The Arctic Incident, who craftily escapes from her psychiatric cell and is set on taking over the world. Meanwhile Artemis is living his life blissfully unaware of the existence of fairies since his mindwipe in book 3. Captain Holly Short and friends must find a way to bring back Artemis' memory and together they will defeat the evil Opal.
An extremely fascinating book that I couldn't put down from start to finish. I would highly recommend it to anyone of any age.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY this if you want the unabridged version, 2 Sep 2009
Mark Robinson (Newton Aycliffe, UK) - See all my reviews
I then tried to update the details of the product on the description using the tools available on Amazon. I received an email stating that they could not add the "abridged" sub note I was wanting to put against the product as they couldn't verify it.
The one star I've given was for the returns policy of Amazon. Very easy to use.
However, I think someone should take the time to check their products and make sure it shows whether it is an abridged or unabridged version.

Sorry for the rant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but the other books are better, 3 July 2007
This books starts off well with someone very important in the books being killed, and Holly being in the frame for something she would never do. Its easily guessed who the mastermind is... Opal, as in the title. But, like I said it starts of well, and then goes downhill, the main reason being that Opal seems to get dumber as you go through the book and ends up losing because of her sudden obsession with chocolates and because of her even dumber sidekicks she has hired.

But dont get me wrong its a good book, its just that the whole point of the book is Opal's clever plan, and then she suddenly becomes dumb, and of course Artemis is still super clever and wins.

The Next book in the series (Lost Colony) is much, much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic Artemis Fowl adventure, 12 Mar 2008
L. Green "Feltano" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Barcode: 9780141315492

...And maybe the best one at that too. Colfer's writing is always a joy to read, his innovative sci-fi/fantasy blend presenting a fantastic backdrop for amazing characters. Artemis and Holly as a duo have been the true stars of the show since i read the first book years ago and i'm so glad to see the series is still going strong in this book. Mulch and Butler are of course fantastic in the comedic element they provide.

In The Opal Deception we also see the return of Opal Koboi. A fascinating villain, she represents a fair match for Artemis's amazing intelligence and as they bounce tricks and plans off each other we get a action-packed, tense thriller of a novel that i whipped through - a proper page turner!

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best book yet!, 19 Jan 2008
I started to read the Artemis Fowl books when I was 8, my uncle was a great fan and I was stuck with nothing to read in his house but them. I started reading the first book and I don't know what it was, maybe I was too young ro understand properly but I didn't really enjoy them. All the same I read on until I got to the Opal Deception a few years later.

Here Harry Potter (my favourite books ever) met their match!
Artemis Fowl and the Opal Deception is cleverly written, non-stop action and non-stop fun.
Opal Koboi is back with even more determination than before!

I'll say no more, just read the book and you'll see what I mean!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, in every sense of the word., 28 July 2006
Eoin Colfer, creater of a masterpiece.

After his previous three books i thought that this book would follow on from a previous plot and make the whole series look completely dreary. How wrong i was.

With things seemingly linking together throughout the book and linking back to previous ones it both keeps the reader thinking, whilst offering a tantalising read which keeps the reader from putting the book down.

The book was so good, i read it in one day. But thats me, im a readoholic and it was more or less a non stop 24 hour job. So there is plenty of reading time! Or am i just a slow reader?

But any true fan of the series, i urge you. Please buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 15 Sep 2005
A. Ballard "Ade5157" (Abingdon, Oxfordshire England) - See all my reviews
As with the other titles in this series, Eoin Colfer, has written another brilliant novel for lovers of fantasy fiction aged 9 to 90.
The plot is easy to follow, but full of surprises. The main character, Artemis Fowl, is so real you can almost touch him. The drama and suspense have you panting to turn the next page.
Two words sums up this book; sheer brilliance!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›