5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Living in the UK, I've become disillusioned with our politicians. Reading about Burma & this lady's tenacity has changed my thinking. This book is fantastic, it's revitalised my faith in what a democracy is about. It's a fantastic read. I wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend this book!
Published on 25 Dec 2004 by R. Gillett

2.0 out of 5 stars Musings
I wanted to love this book, but I found it all rather lightweight & without much, other than superficial, insight into what makes Aung San tick. Charming but not hugely relevant to the situation Burma finds its self in today.
Published on 6 Feb 2010 by E. Macfarlane

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 25 Dec 2004
R. Gillett "memamu" (Rhyl, North Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars a Revelation, 18 Dec 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Paperback)
What a fantastic book. Aung San Suu Kyi led her democratic party to victory in the first supposedly open Burmese Elections in the nineteen eighties. Since then her party has been victimised, the fascist government refusing to let them come to power, and she has been under house arrest for much of the time since. She has been cut off from her family in England and has suffered much (her husband died of cancer while she was under house arrest). In this series of letters written for a Japanese newspaper, she sums up her life, her achievements, her feelings about Burma and its state over the course of a year.
These are wonderful letters, inspirational, truthful, always with a core of dignity and hope for the future. She tells the truth about her country, describing it as both beautiful and cruel, never flinching from the unpalatable, and always ready to celebrate what is joyful and uplifting.
Necessary if you are interested in any way in the history and culture of Burma and its peoples, but also if you are interested in the fight to protect and provide basic human rights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully evocative book by a truly amazing woman, 2 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Paperback)
Aung San Suu Kyi combines tragedy, passion, humour and most of all courage in this wonderful evocative book on her homeland. For anyone with a passing interest in Burma this is of course highly recommended. However, everyone should find time for this short book as I am confident that we will be hearing a lot more from this quite amazing woman in the coming years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Paperback)
While the letters clearly have a political agenda they nevertheless give a touching insight into a fascinating country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - Letters from Burma, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Paperback)
If you are interested in reading behind the news headlines about Burma, this beautiful collection of letters (with pencil drawings)from Aung San Suu Kyi is for you. Not just for history buffs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone interested in Burma, democracy and human rights., 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Paperback)
We all should become more aware of the atrocities suffered by the people of Burma. We all complain about our governments but sometimes we do not realise how lucky we are to have our freedom, which we take for granted. Aung San Suu Kyi is inspiring, courageous and a hero for her people, and many others who respect and admire her. Read this and read Freedom from Fear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Letters from Burma, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Letters From Burma (Kindle Edition)
The book is very interesting. It shows her strength and determination. It also depicts the events very clearly without many sentiments nor resentment. I would recommend the read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Musings, 6 Feb 2010