I bought this for my 10 year old son, who has always been fascinated with Greek myths, and who has read the Percy Jackson books. This is his review:
" Tales of the Greek Heroes is an incredible book featuring almost every drop of Greek myth that has ever been written, from Cronos to Hercules, Thesus to the Argonauts and Perseus to Dyonisius. It is far more considered that other books on Greek myths, and if you spot it in your local library, don't hesitate to pick it up. However, the book could be longer, as it did miss some tales, such as when the Milky Way was made. However, this is the best book I have read on this subject so far."

He read the book in 3 days, and gave it a rating of 96%.

This book may be a film tie in, but don't let that put you off. This is a well researched and considered book.
on 18 January 2011
I have been a fan of Roger Lancelyn Green since last year when I bought Robin Hood and then read King Arthur over Christmas and, desperate for more legendary tales of the struggle of good against evil, I thus picked up this title in the New Year.

"Tales of the Greek Heroes" has everything and more for anyone wanting an introduction to the sometimes dangerous and deathly yet wonderful world of Ancient Greece.

The book chronicles all the notable and important happenings from the tasks of Heracles, how Hermes came to be, the voyage of the Argonauts and a helping of villains from Medusa to Minotaur.

Throughout the book you will meet a great cast of characters like Zeus of many wives and children, Hermes the messenger, Heracles the hero, Jason of the Argonauts and more Mortals and Immortals as they have many encounters with Giants, Monsters, evil Kings, Witches and jealous spouses!

As I finished the main story, I was pleasantly surprised at the vast amount of extra stuff - Authors notes, a map of the Argonauts' quest, the Greek and Latin names of the main characters as well as the Puffin Classics usual author biography, glossary and dictionary!

A must buy for any fans of History and Legend!
on 21 March 2006
very clear and easy to understand and read. full of interesting and factual information but presented in an exciting way. Absolutly fascinating! a must have for all historians or anyone hus interested in ancient civilisations.
covers a huge variety of different stories, myths, legends etc.
All in all an excellent book definatly 5 stars and definatly worth reading.
on 15 October 2013
I found this book a good read although aimed at children I found the stories of the Greek heroes reminding me of what I had briefly learned in history lessons at school many years ago.
I hope to read this to my grandson when he gets a little older.
on 20 May 2009
I have recently got into Greek Mythology and this book has it all, from the hero that is Perseus to that of Heracles (or before known; Hercules) It proves an in depth account of every event with only a few known classics missed out :). Could not of found a better book.
on 20 May 1998
This book is among the best myhology books I have ever read. It is expanded to the best and most popular of Greek Myths. For example, The Labors of Hercules, The Quest for the Golden Fleece and more.
on 23 October 2013
This book is alright but it isn't long enough. However it tells most of the Greek story's and heroes. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 but I can't so 4out of 5 it is.
on 5 September 2012
A beautifully desgined front cover, featuring the most popular greek myths in a simplified form, making the stories easier to take in. Definately worth the money.
on 7 December 2015
Clear and easy to understand. A joy to read. If Greek mythology is what you're interested in then you could a lot worse than read this book.
on 29 August 2010
Roger Lancelyn Green was one of my favourite authors when I was young. I have now rediscovered him as an adult and still love his stories. He retells classic stories in a readable and enjoyable way - a great way to learn about mythic creatures and the great heroes and villains of the past!