5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!
It's been a while since I've enjoyed a book so much. It's a fast moving, fun read and is perfect for reading while commuting, on holiday, in the bath - anywhere! The main character is great and you can really relate to her. A brilliant book for escaping the day to day routine. Can't wait for the author's next offering!
Published on 27 April 2007 by Ms. N. K. Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, boring but passes the time
First of all, I chose this book (of which I read the German version) as I need to maintain my language skills but didn't want anything too heavy. Enter chick-lit. It did the job, in that I slightly improved in my German, but oh dear god was it dull.

Published 7 months ago by Helen

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!, 27 April 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 12 July 2007
L. Tight (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I completely love this book!! Once i started it i couldn't put it down, its the quickest ive read a book! It's such a good storyline, and not only is it a great romance, its still completely down-to-earth and very well written! I Would definitly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 10 Jun. 2007
Mrs. C. L. Cassini Backstrom (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I really loved this book - it transported me to another plane - it absorbed my thinking and I could not put it down until I finished it.

I have now lent this book out to two other friends who also have loved it - chicklit is not a genre I would ordinarily have gone for - but now I'm changing my mind - if this is what chicklit is all about I'm a convert!

I think I will read it again soon - it put me in such a fantastic mood!

Hope there is another book being written soon by Paige Toon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sparkling debut, 24 May 2007
E. Sime "Emma Greatrex" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I bought this book on a Monday lunchtime and by Wednesday evening, throughout train journeys to and from London, I'd finished it. I've not read a book so quickly in years. I absolutely loved it. From the word go, you felt for Lucy's character and wanted to know what her boyfriend had been up to. I liked the way it went throughout the year, with Lucy's feelings wavering between James and Nathan and the reader really not knowing where she's going to end up.

Loved the ending and glad she chose although wish there'd been more as to where she decided to ultimately be - perhaps that's for the sequel?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Debut!, 21 April 2008
MK (Bonny Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
Lucy in the Sky is an amazing debut from Paige Toon and if your a fan of legends such as Sophie Kinsella & Jane Green, you will love this book with a capital L. Ok, it will not strech your brain but if your in the mood to read for fun, then this will do the trick. Lucy is a typical 20-something girl who lives in London with her gorgeous lawyer boyfriend and the perfect job, but life doesn't seem so perfect when you're sitting on a 24-hour flight to Ozzy land and your love life falls apart when you receive a text about your so called amazing boyfriend. Lucy arrives in Sydney for her best friends wedding, her hometown of sun, sand & surfing and thats when she meets Nathan, a sexy-messy haired surfer - but like all great romances, nothing is simple. The characters are instantly likeable especially Lucy & Nathan. Toon develops the story well from page to page and has you super-glued to your seat for its duration. I bought this on a Thursday night and read it by Friday - its that good. Miss Toon, I salute you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lucy in the Sky, 10 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I love a good dose of chick-lit, whether it's the super-charged emotional stuff or the light and fluffy variety. This book tips the light and fluffy scale which works for me. I liked it.

Paige Toon writes with warmth and feeling about Sydney and London capturing their energy and appeal. Wherever her characters are, you are there with them. The main character is instantly likeable as are many of the other characters. The ones you are not supposed to like you don't. Simple. Therefore, this makes it a great book to take on holiday. Relaxed and easy. Who wants heavy on holiday?? I don't.

This is Paige Toon's first book and I look forward to reading many more from her. The inside cover mentions her life as the daughter of a racing driver, perhaps there is a story there ready to immerge.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Lucy in the Sky' by Paige Toon, 7 May 2007
Ms. K. E. Joy (Bournemouth, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I loved this book and started reading on Saturday night and finished by Sunday night - just couldnt put it down!!!

The characters are great and Nathan just seems to good to be true, Lucy is also a great character who takes you on an excellent journey...

if you want a great girlie summer read you have to get this - i guarantee you'll love it and wish it doesnt end !

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, boring but passes the time, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)

I gave it 3 stars as at times I did become fully engrossed in the story and was surprised when I fell back into reality, like waking up from an intensely realistic dream. A few times I got excited because it seemed the story was building up to something big and I braced myself, but then it just sort of... went away and a new chapter started with another dull day in the life of dull Lucy.

A big problem is that this book reflects real life (or tries to). You may think this is a good thing; it is not. Do we really want to read about someone's morning routine? It felt like most of the book went along the lines of "I wake up at half 7. I get up and get in the shower and let the warm water fall on me. I get dressed - blue jeans and a t-shirt - I put the kettle on and I make myself some tea. I put the milk in first. I decide to walk to work, even though it is freezing, as it is currently winter in London. I bet it's nice and warm in Sydney, as it is summer there." Yes, this is what many of us go through, but it's hardly interesting. If you're going to write a book, don't include every waking moment of your protagonist's life. As a lot of people have mentioned, Toon generally puts in a LOT of unnecessary detail and it's tiresome as hell.

Maybe this genre simply isn't for me, because I feel like I'm the only person to be so relieved when the long, boring flight finally ended. It's basically just "oh god he's cheated on me", "oh no he hasn't", "but what if he has!" for page after page. As I was reading about Lucy's oh so exciting long haul flight, I remembered the title of the book and thought 'oh god what if this is all there is', but luckily the flight ended. And so began a tedious, but at least grounded, holiday in Australia.

Something that angered me throughout was (potential spoiler) the fact that Lucy stayed with James for so long. After her constant longing for Nathan, plus her complaints about James' weird stories and his potential infidelity, I thought she'd gone of him completely. The next minute she's saying "I love him and I don't want to lose him". On top of that, there are all the friends and family that encourage her to essentially put up with him, even when she admits she's totally fallen for Nathan, because he's a "great guy with a good job". Also, I did like the ending, but like many endings, it was so rushed and was over just as the book was getting interesting!

In essence, the thought that ultimately ran through my head the entire book was the quote: "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you really loved the first, you wouldn't have fallen for the second."

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic premise!, 11 July 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
Lucy is about to set off on a flight to Australia for the wedding of her two closest friends when she receives a text message that sets into motion a series of events culminating in a soul search as to whether she really wants to stay with her boyfriend James or whether Nathan, gorgeous Australian surfer, is the one for her.

What a premise! I loved the idea that Lucy read this message and ended up stewing for the whole course of the flight out to Australia, because she was unable to use her phone for the duration. It was a really excellent way to be introduced to Lucy's character - effectively done by Toon since the book is written in first person perspective. This brought an immediacy and vibrancy to the character of Lucy, who really came to life with all her foibles included.

The rest of the characters were written in an equally warm fashion, and most of them were easy to empathise with (I will just say that Gemma and Chloe - two of Lucy's friends in London - were a little interchangeable at times). The biggest triumph in terms of characterisation is James: at times he comes across so lovable and the reader, alongside Lucy, really isn't convinced either way as to if she should stay with him or take a chance on Nathan.

In fact, the whole sequence dealing with Lucy's soul-searching and vacillating between the two men is handled deftly by Toon, so that you feel real sympathy for all three of them at times. Yet Toon does just enough so that you know Lucy will make the 'right' decision by the end of the book.

I had a couple of minor quibbles about the novel - the main one of which was a matter of personal taste, I'm sure, and I think other readers would have enjoyed it far more than I did. This was the way that Nathan and Lucy exchanged daft jokes as a method of bonding. It was cutesy and got a little tiresome by the end of the book, for me, but I am sure that other people would have delighted in this.

In summary, this was a lovely novel to read, one that draws you in and makes you desperate to know how Lucy will resolve her plight. Considering it is Toon's debut, she does a great job - in fact, it feels far too assured to be the first novel of an author! I will be proceeding quick smart to Paige Toon's other novels, and I can't wait to dive in.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional and Captivating story, 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
This has got to be one of the best stories I have read, I couldnt sleep until I knew what happened next. I honestly could not put it down and I really felt like i knew the characters and felt that I was watching it rather than reading it. Paige has gone out to make the characters and places in the story as true as possible.

brings you excitment and is moving. Definately a big thumbs up. Oh and I have started to make my tea with the milk in first ;)

Lucy in the Sky