5.0 out of 5 stars Bee-oootiful
I've been waiting for weeks to write a review of this here, having been given a preliminary copy of the book. An intelligent, humorous read - great depth and lightness, humour and pathos, the same qualities that endeared me to this author in book I - although tackled I thought here with a lighter, matured touch.

This is a book you won't put down - annoyingly...
Published on 29 Jan. 2008 by Southpa

It is no secret that most "chick lit" novels are predictable - and this is easily the most predictable one I have ever read. Even if I outlined the plot in detail right here, I would not be able to ruin any surprises for you because there aren't any.

Having said that...

Published on 15 Jun. 2012 by I Heart Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Bee-oootiful, 29 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)

This is a book you won't put down - annoyingly you'll want to know who ends up with whom and then (I warn you) you'll be annoyed you reached the end, Escapism to leave you with a big beaming smile on your face!

I like this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the bee's knees, 5 Feb. 2008
Sukie (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
Ohhh...I just loved this one, I didn't want it to end. I've been looking forward to it for ages after really enjoying the Yorkshire Pudding Club... and the good news is that Milly Johnson has triumphed again!

The plot is about Stevie, Matthew, Jo and Adam. Stevie's all set to marry Matthew in a few weeks when a complete stranger (Adam) knocks on her door and informs her that Matthew is having it away with Adam's other half Jo. Stevie is devastated but Adam has a plan to split up Matthew and Jo, and asks Stevie to help him with it.
Initially she resists, but then goes along with him, only to discover that she's actually enjoying spending time plotting with Adam...

This is great fun and very well-written, with real warmth and wit. The characters are fab, and it all feels very fresh and original. I laughed out loud countless times, and was sorry to see it end. Sweet as honey!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Marian Keyes..., 4 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
... you must read Milly Johnson. There are two writers in this genre who can move me to tears as well as to out-loud laughter. Marian Keyes is one, Milly Johnson is the other. Milly has a true talent for making her readers feel very deeply for her characters, both her tough-but-soft female characters and her strong and sexy heroes. This is real, heart-felt life here and you can tell the difference. If you need a book to lose yourself in and one you'll want to read all over again as soon as you finish it, this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute joy, 5 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
Having enjoyed the first book by this author I was sceptical she would fall prey to that 'second book curse' but this was even better, and quite different and yet both books have warmed up the cockles of my heart in the very nicest way. I ran the full gamut of emotions - laughed out loud at some bits and very much felt for Stevie in her isolation. I want that cottage and that man and those friends and that little boy - that's the way that book left me. And the end-line left me in tears - but I won't spoil it. A wonderful read and one that I shall enjoy reading all over again in a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Mar. 2008
Mrs. D. Clarke "love to read" (birmingham england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
I have read hundreds of books mostly "chick lit" ,i love reading , and i have to say Milly Johnson is great , this book had me laughing out loud on the bus to work, and even a few tears here and there, you realy get engrosed in this book, all of a sudden you look up and you are at your stop.If you want a heartfelt and uplifting and extremeley funny read , this is the one.It is true that its a bit predicatable especially if you have read a lot of books, but its still written realy well, and though it doesnt suprise it certainly makes you feel good. fantastic , would highly reccomend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easily the Most Predictable Novel Ever ... but Deliciously Sweet, 15 Jun. 2012
I Heart Books "Bookworm" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Kindle Edition)

Having said that...

It is also deliciously sweet and very, very funny. It is a witty piece of work that had me laughing out loud on the tube of all places - and I loved the way she wrote the character of Adam with a Scottish accent because I could really hear him speaking in my mind and it added greatly to my enjoyment of the novel.

It was clear which characters we were supposed to greatly dislike and which we were supposed to love because they were written such that there was no other outcome.

As per normal novels of this genre, everything came together beautifully in the end and all loose ends were perfectly tied up. I guess this is what makes these kinds of books an indulgence between heavy reading for me. I was lucky enough to nab a Kindle copy during a sale but at any price up to about £4.99, you can't really go wrong. Great as a guilty pleasure or to borrow for a once-read. I would read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Book Of The Year (So Far), 12 July 2008
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
I have just read this book twice in the space of two weeks. Why? It was a fantastic read: touching, witty, sharply observed characters, wonderful little laugh out loud one liners, and most importantly (obviously, for any modern chick lit fan!) a happy ending.
Stevie, the heroine, is not perfect, neither is her life and that's before it is turned upside down. There are characters to love, some to hate, some to melt your heart and some to fall in love with.
I was truly gutted to have finished reading this book, and just wanted it to go on and on and on.
Bring on Milly's 3rd book (as fast as she can write it!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Delight, 21 July 2011
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
This is the first Milly Johnson book I have ever read. I was browsing for "chick lit" type books on here and Milly Johnson's seemed to get very good reviews. I decided to buy this one as it was her first (I think!)and I was not disappointed. This book is fantastic - warm, funny and cosy while at the same time resonating with an emotional truth that was quite compelling. I couldn't put it down. The characters were so believable and the male lead was a real surprise. At first I couldn't believe that he could be the book's "hero" as he is not the usual type described in this genre of fiction, but as the story progresses and I got to see the real man with all his own personal demons my heart just went out to him. Milly Johnson knows just what makes a fictional hero and puts that knowledge to great use here. Big, strong, misunderstood, kind, loving, good with children, personal tragedy and insecurity, lonely and vulnerable...basically irresisitible which is odd because when he first appeared I couldn't imagine even slightly growing to like him. By the end I was desperate for our heroine to recognise him for the wonderful man he really is!! The heroine of the book is also well-rounded and likeable and easy to understand and sympathise with. The other characters are also beautifully observed and I loved little Danny and loathed Jo in equal measure. I can't think of anything negative to say about this book. I even loved the cottage she lived in! I will definitely be buying more of Milly Johnson's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able, 24 Oct. 2008
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
I have to say from looking at the cover of this book, I wasn't overly excited about reading this book, but I has read all of the great reviews for it on Amazon, so thought I would give it a go.

I'm glad I did because it was wonderful - heartwarming, surprising, well written and funny - and I was genuinely gutted when I finished it!

I have rushed out to by Milly's first book. Can't wait til it arrives!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Birds and the Bees (Paperback)
I am a new reader to Milly Johnson and can I just say that it was that fantastic that I read the book in two days and am now a massive fan, that much of a fan that I bought the other 3 books the first day I started reading this book.

Could not put this down, so much so that I messaged all my friends on facebook and told them they had to read it, lol! I am a bookworm. It just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and just because someone is drop dead gorgeous doesn't mean that us normal women are boring we all have hidden talents. We all know a Jo Mclean and I ohhhhh so wish I could have an Adam Mclean (may have to book a girlie weekend in Scotland)

Thanks for the fab read.

The Birds and the Bees