5.0 out of 5 stars Bergdorf Brilliant
Published on 16 Jan 2007 by Louise

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it’s probably radioactive.
The weirdest thing about this book is that I know it sells. I don’t know how but it does.
This is quite possibly the most annoying, superficial and down right awful book I have ever encountered in my twenty five years.
Published on 10 May 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it’s probably radioactive., 10 May 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
It concerns Moi as she describes what it takes to in the fashionable “in crowd” of New York City. It’s almost like a bible of awfulness, whereas you can in the bible open the book at any page and find wisdom, with this book you can read a random sentence and find a terrible, terrible line or entire paragraph. Reading it, alternately made me laugh (at the work not with), cringe and filled me with a sense of kind of despair that this was ever published and bought.
My advice read anything, ANTHING but this. Other reviews mentioned Weisberger’s work but Helen Fielding, Jane Green, Elegance are all better options. Or try something new just but not this. The sanity of the literary world is at stake.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suckalicious!, 7 May 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
I love books like this, or the idea of them- light, funny, gossipy insights into New York, like The Nanny, S&TC or The Devil Wears Prada. But this is TERRIBLE! It's never funny, and unbeliveably stupid. I think the author maybe thinks she's Oscar Wilde or something, only without the witty clever interesting bits. One huge problem is that there's no description of what it's like- maybe the writer is terrified fo losing friends so describes everyone as lovely in the most one dimensional way. This is pisspoor writing in a nice jacket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Duff Plum, 13 Jun 2004
Em1 (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
First thing: please, whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of thinking this is a so-bad-it's-good novel. It's just rubbish. At first I couldn't believe they'd got Candace Bushnell to blurb it, but now I see it was an act of sublime strategy on her part- you can't help to appreciate just how brilliant and sharp and funny her writing is after reading this flabby, empty and shallow nothingness, especially as Sykes even tries to ape (sorry, 'channel') Bushnell at some points- 'I read all the time,' said Jolene. 'I would estimate I read Vogue magazine at least once a day.'(Bergdorf Blondes) '...Alexis said, 'I'm literary. I read. I'll sit down and read a whole magazine from cover to cover.' (Sex and the City).
So what is wrong with this book? Why does everyone who reads it hate it so much? Oh, there are so many reasons. Maybe it's the tone and delivery, which is an intensely irritating hybrid of wittering-English-posh-girl and witless-American-valley-teen speak, with a few French words thrown in as Sykes tries to channel Holly Golightly (it's not going to happen): 'It was tres unkind of him to be so cross after all I'd been through. I mean, hello, what about some major sympathy?'. Then there's the constant repetition of Sykes' favourite phrases: why use 'going to Brazil' as a sexual metaphor just once if you can use it a hundred times (even if it has already appeared on the TV series of Sex in the City years ago)? And occasionally the book just gets cringe-makingly climb under the sofa and die awful: 'I honestly believe that if everyone was having orgasms regularly, there wouldn't be a Palestinian conflict.' I know this is supposed to be funny and flippant and charmingly daring, and it's so dull, darling, to take it all so seriously, but unfortunately neither Sykes' novel or her narrator has the wit or charisma needed to pull this kind of thing off. In fact it is, as one of Sykes' characters might say, totally icky.
But all of these flaws would be forgivable if they were propping up characters or plot or anything interesting, but it's just interchangeable blank talking heads name-checking designer dresses. It's almost impressive how the narrator manages to be at once so awful that you just want her suicide attempt in chapter 6 to be successful and so personality-free that you can't picture her, can't remember anything she says and can't care about anything she does. And then all the socialites, who are supposed to be crazy or hilariously shallow or fascinating, just blend into one big indistinguishable mass of blonde hair and blah Cartier blah Valentino blah engagements. The men are no different, the mother is a rip-off from Bridget Jones' Diary ('Now, have you met my lovely daughter?...why don't you both come to the party tomorrow? I've got the dearest little mini pita breads in from Waitrose') and you can tell a mile off who the heroine is going to end up with- oh, he's sweet and concerned and funny and simple, and oh then they disagree and she hates him, and oh then there are further hilarious complications and revelations!
This book could have been good; it could have been nasty and satirical and stylish, or flippant and trashy and entertaining, or sharp and wicked and glorious. But it isn't even funny, and - despite the fact I get as much vicarious enjoyment from hearing about the lives of the New York beautiful people as the next pyjama-wearing internet-surfing Superdrug-face-mask-wearing slob does- it's really, really boring to read. The nearest I came to laughing was when I accidentally dropped it in the bath; the nearest I came to caring was when I fished it out and realised I wouldn't be able to get my money back. I feel like Plum Sykes mugged me for a tenner. I'll never buy a book written by someone named after a fruit again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bergdorf Bores, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
I hate to disappoint any of you who, like me, were looking forward to the sharp and witty read of Trading Up or The Devil Wears Prada. I was waiting impatiently for its publication and was delighted to pick up a copy last week. Started reading it straight away and, after only ten pages or so, was feeling terribly confused and cheated because it's absolutely dreadful. The plot line is awfully weak, the main character "Moi" is characterless and the book is, quite frankly, one hell of a bore. I was hoping for the low down on the NY elite, with a bit of cynical commentry but after only half-way through, I have put it down for good. I can't take another page. Goodness knows why Plum Sykes has shot her chances at a potentially explosive theme - threats from Anna Wintour perhaps? This is a children's book at best. Do yourself a favour - don't waste your money!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The most horrendous book that I have ever read, 3 July 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
This is hands-down the worst book that I have ever had the misfortune of reading. It is absolutely agonizing. I kept reading expecting, no, hoping that it would improve, but I found it to be completely inane. It is devoid of well, everything you might ever look for in a book. I would rather read my refrigerator manual than have to read this book again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ..., 5 May 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
Dreadful, boring, and calling the main character Moi. I eagerly awaited Plum's first novel however it had little depth or story line, lacked wit and in parts was generally so pathetic it made me wonder what type of person writes such self absorbed drool. Devil wears Prada is a far more enjoyable ...

2.0 out of 5 stars As lacking as a vapid soufflé, 18 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Paperback)
I was attracted to the book's glossy cover, and anticipated an interesting, light-hearted soufflé. However, I was most disappointed by the author's tiring style: in particular, her somewhat childish practice of repeating phrases ad nauseum.
(If I never again hear the phrase "going to Brazil", it'll be too soon)
Whilst the author may no doubt be an authority in the world of fashion and design, her writing lacks originality and wit. She is certainly no Lauren Weisberger.
However, one can't help wondering whether or not this were her intent all along? Since it is written as the narrative of the supremely irritating "Moi" - are the pointless views expressed meant to represent the thought processes of a materialistic airhead?
There have been some alarming suggestions that this vacuous book is semi-autobiographical: in which case, one dares not contemplate the mentality of the author...
Although the storyline is highly predictable, it is very easy to read: I finished the book in two days. Hence, I have generously awarded it a second star.

1.0 out of 5 stars simply fails to meet its aims, 18 May 2004
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
I fear that this book is selling to those who should most be warned against it - the socially desperate looking for some kind of leg-up/'inside-guide' to the Manhattan high-life.
If you want an actual guide to New York try Dorling Kindersley's excellent illustrated travel guide. If you want a gripping roller-coaster through the belly of the cruel beast that NYC can certainly be, Salman Rushdie's new book 'Fury' is for you. If you want value-for-money vicarious NYC living, there's plenty about - S&TC, Friends, Cheers... If you want to give away your money try the Red Cross, which will make you feel much better about yourself than Bergdorf Blondes, and for far longer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ..., 3 May 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Bergdorf Brilliant, 16 Jan 2007
Louise (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Hardcover)
I loved this book, ok so I'll admit it, I can be ever so slightly shallow at times, but this book takes it to the next level. The level of shallowness is hilariously funny, and the book is written in such a wonderful flowing manner that it is almost impossible to put down... having read this book I have rushed out and bought the next one, Debutante Divorcees... I'm hoping for more of the same shallow fun!

Bergdorf Blondes