4.0 out of 5 stars Makes You Want Part Four
Black Powder War is the third novel in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, following the adventures of the eponymous dragon and his 'Captain', Lawrence, during the Napoleonic Wars of an alternative 19th Century where dragons are real and live, mostly, in harmony with mankind.

Along with the two books that proceed it, Temeraire (aka His Majesty's Dragon) and...
Published on 6 Mar 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars An insubstantial interlude
From the very outset of this third book in the saga of Temeraire the dragon, I found myself distinctly unengaged by the material and far less engrossed by this story in comparison to the previous two. Consequently, the largely stellar reviews here surprise me more than a little...

Even if you're immediately aware and pleased by the fact that this series acts as...
Published on 20 Nov 2008 by Fantasy Lore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars very slow..., 28 Nov 2011
I ordered this book along with the second in the series, and whilst the second book came within the usual time I have come to expect when ordering off Amazon, this book - the third one took a very long time to be dispatched even though when I ordered it it was in stock. Im loving the series, but the service fir this book was slower than a snail trying to go backwards

2.0 out of 5 stars Very slow and disappointing., 23 Oct 2010
I did enjoy the previous Temeraire books but felt this one was disappointing. There was very little action throughout and I found the battles quite dull - ie Temeraire helps them out with formations but you are not informed what he actually tells them to do.
I'm unsure if I will read any others in this series - maybe if I can find them in a library but doubt I will buy any more and will probably sell the ones I have as I don't think I would every read them again.
I am sure people will think this a well written classical style novel but there really isn't anything different or exciting going on. Anne McCaffrey may not be an esteemed writer but she is much more entertaining - read her dragon novels instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Temeraire Flies again!, 12 July 2010
The 3rd in the fantastic Temeraire series, the story chugs along ata good pace and the characters of Lawrence & Temeraire are fleshed out a lot more.
If you've read the others then you are definately going to read this one too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but poorly edited, 7 Nov 2009
I love these books, they're amazing fun to read and Naomi Novik has a wonderful eye for characters and relationships. The plot pacing of this book is better than the previous two which tried to condense too much plot in the last two chapters, this one spreads it out a little bit more although it still accelerates up to a bit of a dash. This book is criminally badly edited though, with dozens of jarring errors that force you to reread and try to decode sentences. There are a few dodgy plot and character moments that don't quite ring true, but for the most part this is a wonderful series to read and I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better that I expected, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Black Powder War (The Temeraire Series, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I thought that this may have been a little boring being the journey home.... but the story kept me gripped all the way through.

This book sees temeraire and his crew travel from China back to Scotland with various problems encountered route!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy is NOT Alternative History (and vice versa ?), 27 Jan 2007
Mr. G. H. Kearton (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
I think the previous reviewer misses one salient point - almost by definition the "Temeraire" series is "Fantasy" but is not "Alternative History". How can this be ? Quite simply ! Alternative history depends on its plot development for there to be ONE alteration in events which then subsequently changes "history as we know it". Obvious examples are if Lee had won at Gettysburg, if one (or other) Kennedy had not been assasinated, if Hitler had been assasinated and so on. Alternative history, I would suggest, is a literary game of "Consequences" ! Here's an example:

Spanish Armada successful - therefore no Stuart Dynasty in England.

No Stuart Dynasty - therefore no English Civil War.

No English Civil War - definitely no Republic under Cromwell, no Stuart Restoration (and no subsequent "Glorious Revolution" bringing the House of Orange and subsequently the Hanoverians to the English throne).

No Hanoverians on the English throne - therefore no Jacobite Rebellions (goodbye Bonnie Prince Charlie !),and probably no Seven Years War.

No Seven Years War - France still a dominant presence in North America and (if no Hanoverians - see above) - probably no American Revolution.

No American Revolution - probably no French Revolution.

No French Revolution - probably no Napoleon.

All from the success of the Armada - and that's just thinking about English History ! For a stunning example of Alternative History see "For The Want of a Nail" - its content bears absolutely no resemblance to "the world as we know it".

But the "Temeraire series has no single departure point - it would appear that the Dragons have always been part of our planet and its history and battles.And, cleverly, Ms Novik has given all sides Dragons - so we've a level playing field ! I'm not saying the series would not have been better if there had been a "single point of departure" in history - but there isn't ! So - enjoy the series - but please don't think of it as Alternative History !

5.0 out of 5 stars dragons and yo ho ho, 1 Sep 2006
A. G. L. Williams (ashington england) - See all my reviews
I have read the us version and it continues an interestingly different alt. history of the napoleonic period. My one criticism is that the author has not yet altered historical results in our world in any way that I can see--so what really is the point? All European battles etc seem to have the same victors despite the presence of the dragons. Is the author saying that the results were unalterable? See my review of Victory of Eagles (Oct2008) re developing her timeline

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›