Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.61

on 6 September 2010
I enjoyed it up to a point - the author does write well and the descriptions are good. However the storyline is relentlessly sad, Alice's life comes across as one misery after another. Obviously some people may have lives like that but it's a bit of a triumph of adversity over hope rather than the other way round.

I have read Mosquito by the same author, which was very similar thematically but which I much preferred because it seemed to offer a glimmer of hope. If you have the chance to read either I would choose Mosquito as I think Brixton Beach may put you off a writer who can write very good fiction.
on 10 May 2010
At the beginning of the book, Alice the central character is 9 and Tearne presents this novel from the eyes of a child who develops through the novel, it tells of the hardships of minority groups. and the difficulty immigrants face when trying to adapt to a new society. The characters are very real and this novel is one of the best I have read recently. Be warned though - it is a story with much sadness.
on 17 June 2010
I really enjoyed the first part of this novel, being carried along by the lyrical quality of the writing.
However, by the end I felt that I was being emotionally manipulated. I know only too well that life & novels don't necessarily have happy endings, but felt that amidst the encircling gloom there needed to be some life affirming message otherwise where was the point?
on 11 June 2010
Don't read this if you're feeling down - it must be the most depressing book I have ever read. And don't expect a happy ending either. To be fair - not all books require a happy ending, but you'd at least hope for one after wading through all the bleakness...
on 31 January 2011
From beginning to end I think this is the most boring and depressing book I have ever read. I really struggled to get to the end and when I did it was an even bigger let down. Don't bother.
on 16 March 2014
This book was so depressing I wished I had never started to read it. I kept hoping for a happy and satisfying conclusion to all the depression but it was not forthcoming.
on 31 October 2010
I have not read this book yet but was very pleased with the quality of the product and the service given getting it to me. Thank you.
on 15 September 2015
A magnificent read! Sad, I learnt so much about Sri Lankan policics and the havoc war has left in its wake. She writes so well and I could not put this book down.
on 23 March 2014
Amazing!! A true masterpiece which will grace my bookshelves for years. I know that I will read it again and again.
on 26 June 2014
A fantastic book! I enjoyed every word. I love reading and learning about a new culture or country during a book.