5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading!
Once again, Lynda La Plante gives a thoroughly gripping read. The characters jump to life and give the impression that you are part of the scene of investigations, and the police teams investigating the series of events. The storyline has topical issues, and some sinister practices. Overall, an excellent read.
Published on 26 Feb 2008 by Bookworm

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I gave her three tries, the first one was good the second one wasn't but I thought, well she might be having a bad day but no - after reading this - no more La Plante for me.

Published 23 months ago by D. M. Dickson

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Sep 2012
D. M. Dickson (Dordogne France and Solihull UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Kindle Edition)

This was a fairly involved and gripping story and it says a lot for the storytelling skill of the writer that I stuck with it. It was over five hundred pages and quite honestly I think that the story occupied about 300 the rest was padding, repetition, info dumping and ranting about the criminal justice system, the probation service and illegal immigrants. Although much of this may be valid comment I don't think that it is honest to put so much into a work of fiction and push it at the reader.

Apart from all of that the editing was definitely flaky, there were missing words, words that should have been edited out and at one point we jumped from one setting to another without any of the characters moving a muscle - voodoo perhaps!? I would have thought that with the team at her disposal Ms La Plante would have ensured that the editing was spot on.

What a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading!, 26 Feb 2008
This review is from: Clean Cut (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLEN CUT WITH JAGGED TWISTS, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: Clean Cut (Paperback)
The unstoplable team of Langton & Travis returnjs for another thriller with more twists than a country lane. The action startrs with the drive to find the killers of a young prostitute. In the pursuit Langton is brutally attacked abd fights for his life! Travis steps in to nurse him back to health, putting a strain on their relationship. Anna is asigned to another horriffic murder case, but are the 2 linked? What part did the illegal immigrants the Krasniques play in events & who is the shadowy Cammora. Will all the loose ends link to suoly the answers?

Once again a real page turner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lynda La Plante - Clean Cut, 27 Nov 2007
A. Gargett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this and I did enjoy it. I still think that Langton and Travis are a good read, with unexpected twists and turns with their on off affair. Believe the ending was maybe left a little open to follow on with the next book?? Ok story may be a little far fetched but hey I was reading to escape and to be entertained, so it did not disapppoint.

Unlike Martina Cole, La Plante still writes an enjoyable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Cut, Lynda LaPlante, 17 Nov 2007
Mrs. S. E. Stalley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Hardcover)
Having read the two previous books was waiting for this book to come out and unlike the previous reviewers I wasn't disappointed and thought the story line good and couldn't put it down!! and hoping their paths cross in a future book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Clean Cut (Kindle Edition)
Grabbed me from page one and couldn't put it down.I have yet to find a book by her which I don't like.Do read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 4 Sep 2008
DF "DF" (Kingston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Paperback)
Having read a number of La Plante's books and enjoyed the strong feminine roles she creates, I found that this book had a weak plot with a racist streak - most of the black characters were evil or stupid. Marina Lewycka's 'Two Caravans' can be contrasted with this, she deals with the difficult issues of immigration and factory farming with a sense of humour and wit.
Illegal immigrants are often desperate but that does not mean that La Plante should not give them rounded characters which she tried to do for the other characters - however this book gave me a view of Lynda's character which was shocking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Writing 101, 8 July 2009
L.Urker (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Paperback)
I do love a well-written, fast-paced, compelling detective thriller - and this certainly wasn't one of them. Despite La Plante's great reputation, I'd never read any of her books until now, and on the basis of this one, won't be trying any more. Whilst the plot itself could have been interesting, the writing style itself was extraordinarily simplistic and sub-standard - it was almost entirely "tell, not show". There was no sense of character other than that Langton was a bog-standard alpha male with emotional issues type 'Guv', yawn yawn; and that Anna was a bit of a lovelorn doormat. Every other character was entirely one-dimensional and seemed to be present in the book solely to provide stilted and forced dialogue. I also found it interesting that in the latter part of the book, the plot convolutions and the roles each villainous character had played in the various crimes, was summarised for us, at least three separate times. Was this because the writer thought it was too complex a plot or because she realised that anyone reading it might have fallen asleep by now? Overall, I get the sense that this was written specifically to be turned straight into a TV two-parter with lots of running around, not actually to be read.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I can remember reading, 15 Mar 2009
Scouse Pie (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Paperback)
As Ms La Plante is new to me, I thought I'd give this one a go. The book is amateurish in its style with, for example, exclamation marks in the text (i.e. not dialogue). The plot is uninteresting, with not a sympathetic character in sight. I can't recall the last time I read a book and didn't care enough about a single character in it, all of whom are from some off-the-shelf guide to stereotypes. One policeman repeatedly gives vent to racist and anti-immigrant views that go largely unchallenged, to the point that I began to wonder how close the book came to incitement. I read it to the end so that I could say I had. I'll never read another. A truly dreadful book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Daily mail trash - avoid at all cost!, 10 May 2014
R. Compton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clean Cut (Kindle Edition)
I had to panic buy a book as I was going somewhere with no wifi for a few days and wanted a book for my kindle. This was high in the charts so thought I'd give it a go. Big mistake! It's utter rubbish....a bland love story combined with loads of nonsense that would make the reader believe that all immigrants are here to rape and murder them.

Clean Cut