5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and moving read

3.0 out of 5 stars story is fantastic but kindle format disappointing
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by E Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and moving read, 24 Nov 2002
By A Customer
I first read this book when I was eleven and it has since become one of my favourite books. Rusty, the central character is gutsy and intelligent. Her sentiments are easy to relate to and admirable. Her confused view of which country is her home, having lived in America for five years, are beautifully written and heartwarming, especially the relationship with her little brother whom she has never met; explored perfectly. The events which lead up to her dramatic rebellion are gripping and moving. I found myself screaming in frustration at her ignorant, pompous grandmother, and crying at more than one point in the book. I recommend this book whole-heartedly; don't let anthing put you off.

3.0 out of 5 stars story is fantastic but kindle format disappointing, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Back Home (A Puffin Book) (Kindle Edition)
I think this story is absolutely wonderful and I've read it many times over. The characters are believable, the writing is well-paced and it really captures the complications and overwhelming sensation of homesickness, perhaps particularly from a child's perspective. So, I wanted this on kindle so I could always have it to hand. Unfortunately, though, I was really disappointed by the kindle format. There were far too many typos and in some places I had to guess what the word was from the rest of the sentence. This disrupted the flow of my reading and for the price of the kindle version, I really expected better. I'm sorry now I didn't just buy the print version, which would have been cheaper too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story!!!, 31 July 2004
I was attracted to this book because it was by the same author who wrote Goodnight Mr. Tom. I have read the book, Goodnight Mr. Tom but didn't think it was as good as the film. When I bought Back Home, I wasn't very sure that it would be good considering I didn't particularly like the book Goodnight Mr. Tom. However after I had read a few pages, I couldn't put it down. I was completely hooked on the story.
Back Home is about the main character, Virginia Dickinson, nicknamed Rusty by her American family. After the war she goes back home to Britain. Everything in England is not as she expected though. She feels like her family are strangers and her little brother, Charlie, hasn't got used to the fact that he has a sister.
I think this story would appeal to a wide audience. It is not like other war stories. Reading this book I felt like Rusty was a person living now, not in the war.
I'm nto sure about anyone else but I found the end a bit disappointing, it wasn't how I expected (I won't say why because that could be a spoiler for people who are going to read it). However it was one of the best books I have ever read and I think everyone else should read it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A number one read, 9 Mar 2000
By A Customer
After four years being an evacuee, 12 year old Rusty returns home to her mother,to find that she has a little brother that she did not know about.Her mother thinks that she has changed a lot and seems to forever be shouting at her. Her snobbish grandmother is excessivly mean to Rusty and thinks that she has turned bad. She is then sent to an all girls boarding school where she does not fit in. Compared to the other pupils, she is behind in work. She is forever shouted at by teachers about her accent and they think that she is common and cheekey.She has a very unhappy time at school until she meets Lance, a fellow evacuee with excactly the same problems...... I thouroughly enjoyed this book and would reccomend it to anyone. Once I started reading, I could never put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I read this year., 26 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Back Home is the type of book that you just can't put down. Its a sad story but it just tells you that you can do anything if you are determined and put your mind to it. I can't beleive how mean the people were at that time though I don't think I could stand up to them like Rusty could. I really felt sorry for her in a wierd way. I mean ahe had the best family and friends over in America but she had her Mum and her brother in England. I think she made the right choice by staying but I would have liked to read about her life in America in more detail. I don't normally feel sad when I read books but I really liked Betty and I didn't like it when she died. Beth was a bit weird but I think she had her heart in the right place. I recomend her other books aswell like Goodnight Mr.Tom A spoonfull of jam and of course Back Home. I hope if you read it you will enjoy it as much as me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenagers view, 24 Feb 2004
This review is from: Back Home (Paperback)
'Back home' tells the story of a child who was evacuated to America during the war, where she made a life and had a new family. The story shows her journey into her old life, in England, with her mother, father, who she left and her younger brother, whom she has never met before. "Rusty" does not fit into her place as she is expected and gets up to many cases of trouble. Her emotions to the new situations and relationships she makes are explored and developed throughtout the book. It is worth a read to anyone as it is written in Michelle Magorians special way that brings empathy on the characters the story is surrounded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Child's review age 11, 12 April 2011
Amazing story of how a girl misses her American family. Though soon after arriving in England she decides she wants to go back where everybody would be kind and she could do whatever she wants with out being criticized, an excellent book and I recommend it for people age 9 and upwards. In this story it doesn't just show sincerity but of humour as well and my favourite bit is when she is at boarding school in the middle of the night she sneaks out to meet a boy who was also evacuated in America. Though just as things seem fine somebody dies....

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 28 Mar 2011
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
'Back Home' is the story of Virginia Dickinson, nicknamed 'Rusty' and her return to Great Britain five years after she was evacuated to Connecticut in America. Rusty as she was affectionately called by her American family because of her red hair is sad to leave America but is looking forward to seeing her parents and finally meeting her four year old brother, Charlie, who was born a year after Rusty left, although Rusty is going to miss her American family and she is homesick, she has high hopes for her return home. Unfortunately as soon as Rusty arrives she discovers that she does not really know her Mother, and her Mother feels the same about Rusty, Charlie does not want to know Rusty and is jealous about her return, Peggy, Rusty's Mother has becomes independent since her husband left for War and she was billeted to Devon to live with The Honourable Mrs Langley (known as Beatie) to give birth to Charlie and eventually started to work for the W.V.S (Women's Voluntary Service) and is now a trained mechanic, a job she loves doing and does well, Rusty's father is still at war in the Pacific.

Rusty is an independent, intelligent and cheerful girl who speaks her mind, much to the horror of her family but she is accepted by Beatie, who helps Rusty and Peggy to reconnect,which they start to do when they return home to their old home, where Rusty and Charlie's Grandmother resides, who is shocked by Rusty's ways and her accent and Charlie and his 'childish' ways, she makes sure that Rusty is sent to boarding school, which Rusty hates, she finds herself isolated because she is different from the other children, they will not accept her because she did not experience the war as they did, the teachers are also cold towards Rusty, who finds herself becoming more depressed and lonely, all she wants is to go home but she's not sure where home is anymore.

What I thought of 'Back Home' ~

Like 'Goodnight Mr Tom' also by Michelle Magorian which I read earlier this month, I first read 'Back Home' when I was a teenager and like 'Goodnight Mr Tom', I also enjoyed the book the second time as much as I did the first time. 'Back Home' is a story of family and the changes they can and do go through, Rusty returns from a place of safety to a place that has changed drastically because of the war, and her family has changed to, after years of separation, Rusty and her parents barely know each other, things have changed between Rusty's parents too, which becomes apparent when Rusty's Father returns from War, he expects everything to have stayed the same and does not appreciate the change in Peggy or Rusty. I liked all of the characters, Rusty was my favourite, she was such a funny and bright character that I could not help liking and feeling sorry for when so many things were changing for her, Peggy and Beatie were also great characters, both women fiercely independent, with Beatie encouraging Peggy to find her own way, to find happiness. 'Back Home' is an interesting story which shows the life of a returned evacuee.

An interesting and uplifting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best story I've read all year!, 15 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Back Home (Paperback)
This is just the best book! It centre's around a girl named Rusty, who fights for acceptence in England after having been in America for 5 years. The author of this book, Michelle Magorian has managed to write another great wartime book after Goodnight Mister Tom. I think this is the best book and I'm sure that in my lifetime I'll read it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Moving and Really Good, 21 May 2001
By A Customer
This book is amazing. It is about a girl who evacuated to America during the war and when she came back she had all sorts of relationship problems with her family and settling in. This book helps you to understand what happened in the war and after. Most books about the war and evacuation happen in the war but this one is about a 12 year old girl who was not in the war and did not see the war trying to fit in with a society that had been in the war.

Back Home (A Puffin Book)
Back Home (A Puffin Book) by Michelle Magorian