5.0 out of 5 stars Gerry and his enchanted island...
Published on 8 Aug. 2006 by Gertraut Seib

3.0 out of 5 stars The three books are a bit samey
My Family and other Animals is a great read but the other two are the same thing all over again.
Published 14 months ago by kc

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerry and his enchanted island..., 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
My lifelong passion for Gerald Durrells books led me to buy this volume, and I was not disappointed. These stories of a rare time during his young years (I don't think many other children had a similar childhood!) together with these really informative and never dull descriptions of all the animal-life around him make this book hilarious; and for good measure all these tales about his unusual family and equally unusual greek friends thrown in, well, if you have a passion for nature and love good written stories, get it and start reading! (Though I will be forever sorry that he does not live any more...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Both wonderfully fun and funnily wonderful!, 21 Aug. 2008
J. Paul Dobson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
This book has real charm. In a world where we are surrounded by depressing news from the media, this is a real treat. It's a window to a gentler time, where families had fun and creative genius existed.

The writing is engaging, warm and funny. The characters really spring to life, and rarely are both humans and animals portraid in such depth.

Above all, Durrell led the most remarkable of lives, and it's a privaledge to be guided through some its highlights. If you love either people, animals or funny stories, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent biog of a remarkable man, 21 Aug. 2008
J. Southern (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
Gerald Durrell must be considered one of the champions of our time and these books demonstrate how from a young age his interest in wildlife was manifest. The tales are told with humour and honesty about the ups and downs of life and all the adventures he had are inspiring to say the least! The only issue with this volume is its size, so if you are intending to read whilst travelling or falling asleep it may be wiser to buy the individual volumes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 9 Jan. 2011
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
I started reading this in the middle of one snow storm and finished it three weeks later when we were snowed in again. These sun-filled tales of Corfiot life in the 1930's were a brilliant antidote to the snow and ice.

I had only previously read 'My Family & Other Animals', the first of the three autobiographical books brought together in this volume, and that was thirty years ago. I started with an element of uncertainty that I would find that a book that had enchanted me all those years ago would be somewhat disappointing in later life. I need not have worried. It is still an enchanting read for both adults and children, beautifully written, evoking a type of childhood that is probably gone now forever. It is also frequently 'laugh out loud' funny. I also enjoyed the two additional books which were new to me. They cover the same time period but enhance earlier stories of the family's life in Corfu and relate new ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Spiridion!, 11 Feb. 2009
William D. Freeman "wdavidfreeman" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
At last all three books in one volume including the otherwise out-of-print Garden of the Gods. This is an excellent gift for the uninitiated or a convenient way of having the entire series available for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious characters, 23 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
These books are about Gerald Durrells childhood on Corfu. They have hilarious characters, and funny descriptions of the many animals that Gerald Durrell studied and had as pets while he was there.

A great read and memoir of how things were in those times at Corfu.

5.0 out of 5 stars After the first book I wanted more!, 5 April 2011
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
"My family and other animals" was a set book when I was a school and is one that I keep coming back to. The opportunity to continue the story was great: I am frequently left wondering what happened next....
Durrell is a master at making even the most boring animal fact interesting and his descriptive abilities make you want to pack up and move to wherever he is writing about immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL READ!, 18 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
I read 'My Family & Other Animals' and 'Birds, Beasts & Relatives' many, many years ago, so reading this trilogy was as if I was reading them again for the first time, with the addition of the 3rd book. If you love wildlife, Greece or the pre-war era you will especially love the reminiscences of Gerald Durrell. His family were such a wonderful mixture of characters, and adding the Corfu friends and neighbours to them in these stories along with the menagerie that Gerry was always adding to both in and out of the villa makes for very enjoyable reading. The humour is delightful all the way through. I would think if you were going to Corfu on holiday now, it would be the perfect book to take to read in the atmosphere of the island. Both the books and the t.v. films reflect beautifully, the long lost freedom that children once enjoyed to discover the world around them in an everlasting adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars love of nature with humour, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book. Years since I last read it, and it is just as good or better. I am biased having lived for two years in Corfu on a boat with two boys aged 8 & 10 a little after the Durrels. We had never heard of Gerald Durrel at the time, only Lawrence Durrell, greatly enjoyed his Alexandria Quartet. Chatting to an englishwoman on the quay she asked had I ever read Gerald's books, I confessed ignorance. She said you must, your boys and your life remaind me so much of the book.! So I am very devoted to this book and epoch, especially as one of the boys is no more. but, the other is an author himself, and a very good one too. It is a book all children should be exposed to. There is both magic, humour and knowledge there which survives well into the computor age.

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip back to my childhood, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Corfu Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book aged 10 (now 48), I was enchanted by the descriptions of Corfu, I wanted to go there, and it lived up to my imagination when I finally did go many years later! This book still captivated me when reading it again. It captures the warmth and squabbles of family life, the beauty of Corfu and it's people. The characters are brought to life by the author. A gentle, fun read. I really enjoyed going back to the Corfu first visited in my head all those years ago.

The Corfu Trilogy