Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn More Learn more Learn more

on 28 August 2007
Last week I was in A&E after I broke my arm. All night I saw doctors and nurses running round like blue arsed flies and still mmanaging to keep cheerfull. It was after this that I saw the book and decided to buy it.

For the lay man it is truly eye opening. Never again shall I be fulled by tv soaps again! He writes in a throughly entertaing way whilst also managing to be informative about current problems in the NHS and society at large.

Once I started I couldn't put the book down. It was a superb read from start to finnish. I learnt a lot, got upset a bit, got frustrated on his behalf, but best of all laughed allowed a bit too much for a train journey!

Best book I have read this year
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2007
"This book is a must-read for anyone who cares about the NHS, and about A&E care in particular. The author clearly cares deeply about both and opens up the world beyond the politicians spin about our health service. Whilst doing that involves what the author calls 'rants' he/she also provides sensible and affordable solutions. Because of this, the book ought to be required reading for anyone with any responsibility for policy or strategy in the NHS. The really sad thing is that, such is the over-optimistic approach of many NHS managers, and most politicians at local as well as national level, (and the lack of real knowledge about life in the front line) that Nick Edwards could not use his/her own name for fear of the consequences!

This is a brave attempt, by a brave person, to bring about some very necessary changes. I hope that enough people will read and act on the practical suggestions in this book to make a difference".
on 3 November 2007
In Stitches is the best book I have read in months. Nick Edwards manages to describe the life of doctors and nurses within the NHS hospital with humour, which can't be easy. I am sure there are more stories to tell, please publish another. Patients on the outside have no real idea what is going on inside with the politics, this book helps you to understand and sympathise with the staff who have to work within the rediculous system we now have. Thanks Nick and all your co-workers.
on 27 August 2011
I read a lot of these blog-style medical books (Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician,Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance and Nee Naw: Real Life Dispatches From Ambulance Control being some of my recent favourites), and this is perhaps the most disappointing one I've read for a while. Whilst there are some good stories about life on the front line, by far the majority of the book is given over to the author's rants about how the NHS is run. If you work for the NHS, or you're a politician, it's probably essential reading, but as someone who reads these books as a bit of light relief on holiday this had too much anger and not enough story-telling in it for me. I sympathise with the author's plight and I hope that those in the higher echelons of the NHS have read this, but it doesn't make for riveting reading for someone who doesn't work in that area.
on 6 August 2007
just finnished the book. It was truly excellent. For someone who has never worked in a hospital, it paints a compelling picture of what happens in AandE wards.

There are some very amusing stories as well as emotional aspects. However, the 'tounge in cheek' humor and sracstic humour provides an excellent way of telling his story. If you like me, work in the NHS, then there will be a lot you can associate with.

Does harp on a bit about the worryies of the NHS's future - but that is understandable, as it is something that should concern us all.

Overall i would say buy it as it is an excellent read. As it is a collectioon of seperate stories you can pick it up and read it without having to worry about remebering a time line narrative. If you like tom reynolds book, blood sweat and tea, you will love this book too.
on 28 August 2007
I have just finisehed in stitches. It is a fantastic book and easy to read. It is a honest and accurate account of working in A&E ( I should now I work in A&E too ) and as well as being brillantly humerous in places, it also looks at more serious issues.

For those of you who watch casualty/er and think what is really like, then buythis book. If you know what it is like to work in the NHS then buy it as you will realise that you are not the only one suffering!
on 22 September 2007
I read this book whilst on holiday recently and working in ITU myself i have to say that all that he says is absolutely true!!
To those with the sense of humor that has been crafted by years working in the NHS it is both hilarious and moving. We see many highs and lows in our job and Dr Edwards ability to laugh at himself is the key skill to get each of us through the long and sometimes harrowing days!! Many of his rants mirror both my own and my colleagues and the patients that he describes seem to be the very same that i end up caring for!! A very funny release for those of us working in the NHS and a kind reminder to those who don't that accident and emergency is NOT somewhere to go when you have a cold!! Read it and weep with both laughter and sadness!!
Really worth a look!
on 18 August 2007
Despite being a self confessed moaner Dr.Nick Edwards obviously wouldnt want to do any other job. He gives a touching and funny account of a doctor's life in A & E.
as well as touching on some not so good Government ideas and how much time is taken up dealing with people with alcohol and drug related problems.
on 30 July 2010
I hate books like this, you buy them expecting a good read but they always let you down. This one is particularily bad, I was hoping that it would be good enough to keep me entertained over a couple of weeks but no, it was just terrible. It kept me up all night as I had to finish it in one sitting and spend the next day very tired; but it was worth it. The book was amazing, funny, entertaining and just what I was looking for.

I would recoment it to anyone that likes this sort of humour.
on 21 October 2007
Fantastic book, simply could not put this book down. A must for any health care professional or indeed anyone who wants to read an honest, down to earth account of what really goes on behind the scenes of an A and E department. Keep writing Nick!!! I want to read more from this talented author.