Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.24

on 8 September 2007
I've read maybe 4 or 5 Barbara Erskine novels now and to a certain extent, yes, they follow a formula. But for the sake of being entertained I was willing to get past this. I read through the 500 or so pages (a mere trifle for her books, I might add!) and at times it was scary and suspense-filled and I was thoroughly entertained. And then I get to the last page! I don't want to spoil the book for anyone wanting to read it, but to be honest, I had to read the last page a few times to make absolutely sure I wasn't seeing things and that it did indeed say what it did! After being taken through this roller coaster ride of a story, what an incredible let-down! It won't stop me from reading her books -I'm about to start 'Hiding from the light' but if she does this again, I think I'll be dropping her publishers a wee note!!
This is a very well written and absorbing novel by a master story teller. It is highly descriptive and captures the reader in its thrall. It is a chilling and imaginative ghost story centered around a love triangle that existed approximately two thousand years ago and ultimately ended in murder. The murderer, Marcus, a Roman legionaire, is cursed by his wife, Claudia, after he has her lover, Nion, a druid priest, killed. Marcus then kills Claudia. It is this tragedy that now haunts the present.
When London based author, Kate Kennedy, breaks off with her selfish live in lover, she goes off to lick her wounds and nurse a broken heart in a cottage in a remote area of North Essex. The cottage, though cozy, begins to become a less than hospitable place, when unexplained sounds, scents, and traces of moist earth and sand begin to manifest themselves. Moreover, her landlord's son, Greg, and daughter, Allison, seem determined to have her leave the cottage.
Discovering that Allison has come across an archaeological site not far from the cottage, Kate goes to the site and finds an ancient Celtic ornament. She soon begins to hear voices in her mind and see visions of what cannot be. Ultimately, Greg, Allison, and Kate become trapped in the miasma of these ancient star crossed lovers who are determined to bring their long dormant conflict to resolution. The cost to those in the present is dear, as the reader will soon find out.
Be warned. This is a scary book.
VINE VOICEon 9 December 2006
Kate Kennedy, an author is living with her boyfriend Jon when he has the chance to go to America for a few weeks taking Kate with him, only Kate doesn't want to go and he has let their flat to someone while they are away. Kate decides the relationship isn't working and they split up, Jon leaves for America and Kate moves to a cottage on the remote Essex coast.

The cottage is let to her by a family whose daughter, Alison discovers a Roman site which releases more than they could imagine. Kate, alone in her remote cottage is terrorized by the forces that have been released from the ancient site, the familys son Greg tries to scare Kate and it starts to work but, it isn't long before Greg, and his family are also drawn into the scary past that threatens the present.

This was a well written book and quite scary in places although I did find the story and the characters not as likeable as the previous books og Barbara Erskine's I have read, I did find the lead character a little weak in places.

Aside, it was overall a really good read.
on 3 October 2000
I loved this book as I love all of Barbara Erskine books, When Kate decided to take the little quite cottage out in the middle of no where, little does she know that she will become entangled with a love triangle. But this turns out to be no ordinary love triangle as the people involve are long since dead but will not rest until the lovers story is told. I would love to go more into the story but you will have to read the book. This is a great book for anyone who enjoys a good ghost story even more so if you know the area in which it has been set, as I do.
on 7 December 2011
An enthralling read - creepy and atmospheric for several chapters, the action then becomes violent, terrifying and explosive. But I did find the final third of the novel long-drawn out and repetitive, and the characters' reactions annoying. I kept thinking, 'How many times are different groups of characters going to take a vehicle out in appalling conditions and foul weather and end up crashing and being injured, and adding themselves to the problem?' I became frustrated with the way they were handling their dilemma; they didn't seem to learn from their experiences. 'For heaven's sake,' I thought, 'stop saying you're going to go out and search for someone...haven't you got any sense? Stay indoors!' But of course there wouldn't have been a story, then, would there? Even so this novel was compulsive reading and I had to keep going to find out what would happen in the end... which, unfortunately, I found a bit superficial and sentimental, and vaguely unsatisfying, as if a much deeper spiritual issue was being ignored.
on 29 September 2000
I first read this book about 3 years ago it was recomended to me by a friend, Midnight Is A Lonely Place had everything i love about a good book Love, Romance, History and the ability to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, and a need to glance over my shoulder now and again to make sure i really was alone. I discovered while reading this book that it is possible to load a washing machine vaccum a lounge and read at the same time.
on 12 November 2009
I am difficult to please and was a bit worried that this would be slightly cheesy as I usually like more heavy horror and never read romance. However, as a female reader (don't think men would go for erskine) she hits all the right spots with brave and likeable female characters who are usually more resourceful than the males!! There's a frisson of romance in the book but not too much, it's just a little added tension which adds a nice touch. I loved the fact that she uses real and 'normal' settings such as the north Essex coast, which prompted me to buy the book initially as I know the area well; this book has put a whole new spin on it for me and makes you think about what lies below the surface. There are also some truly spooky moments which left me feeling nicely chilled. Glass of wine or hot chocolate and fire optional - one to bring on a cottage holiday when it's raining outside!!
on 28 February 1999
When I bought this book I didn't know anything about the story or Barbara Erskine. But once I started the book I couldn't stop reading, every possible minute I was reading it! It's sometimes quite a scarry story, but you always want to know what happens next and are disappointed when the book is finished (only to go to the next bookshop and buy another Barbara Erskine book).
on 17 January 2007
I hate to title this review as I have as Barbara Erskine is an excellent author. I love the atmospheres that are part of all of her novels. However in "Midnight is a Lonely Place" I found that most of the chapters are very repetitive with the same events (just different characters) chapter after chapter. The ending was extremely weak and almost predicatable. The story could have been so tense, exciting and scarey but alas, not to be this time! I will though be looking further into the history of Boudicca as a direct result of having read this novel. Other than that my only comment is 500 painful pages!
This is a very well-written and absorbing novel by a master storyteller. It is highly descriptive and captures the reader in its thrall. It is a chilling and imaginative ghost story centered around a love triangle that existed approximately two thousand years ago and ultimately ended in murder. The murderer, Marcus, a Roman legionnaire, is cursed by his wife, Claudia, after he has her lover, Nion, a druid priest, killed. Marcus then kills Claudia. It is this tragedy that now haunts the present.

Discovering that Allison has come across an archaeological site not far from the cottage, Kate goes to the site and finds an ancient Celtic ornament. She soon begins to hear voices in her mind and see visions of what cannot be. Ultimately, Greg, Allison, and Kate become trapped in the miasma of these ancient star-crossed lovers who are determined to bring their long dormant conflict to resolution. The cost to those in the present is dear, as the reader will soon find out.

Be warned. This is a scary book.