5.0 out of 5 stars A stoy with another name
Dune Road, brilliant story thoroughly enjoyed it but had i realised at the time of purchase that it also has another Name possibly the english version called Girl Friday which i had read previously, i would not have purchased it.
Published on 16 Jun 2011 by covergirl

2.0 out of 5 stars Girl overboard!
Published on 2 May 2010 by Cat

2.0 out of 5 stars Girl overboard!, 2 May 2010
This review is from: Girl Friday (Paperback)
I'd pretty much given up on Jane Green after the absolutely terrible, dreadful, Beach House, but picked this up in my local supermarket dirt cheap and decided to give it a whirl. I've read all her books over the years, starting with Straight Talking (that fab leopard print cover!) but found that I've liked them less and less as they've gone on - is that about my life changing and not identfying with them any more, or is it just that she's writing less convincingly? I understand she now lives in the USA, which is reflected in the latter books, and I've really not enjoyed those much at all.

Anyway. I romped through this in a day - a very easy read. I quite liked Kit's character, but thought the rest were weak and poorly developed. The "twists" in the plot were easy to see coming - I found myself flicking towards the end to check if I was right almost as soon as Steve's character appeared - and the ending was schmaltzy, but I found it un-taxing and a pleasant enough read.

Like other reviewers (of the hardback) my feeling is that she's churning these books out (I think Marian Keyes, another formerly briliant author, went the same way, and Adele Parks is showing similar signs) and they're getting poorer as they go. However, provided we keep buying them - which we do - and she's making the money, then I suppose that will just keep happening! Maybe the chick-lit bubble's burst and we're looking for different things, while the writers haven't moved on?

3.0 out of 5 stars Why does she insist on having different names for US and UK books!!, 27 Sep 2011
Emma Ward (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dune Road (Paperback)
Jane Green (or publishers) seem to have got into the annoying habit of giving the same book a different name based on if its published in US or UK. This is annoying as I buy all her books and am now having to research each new name to check it isnt one I have read and hope that Amazon lists a blurb of some type to allow me to do this.

Arghhhhh!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stoy with another name, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Dune Road (Hardcover)

1.0 out of 5 stars A rewrite, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dune Road (Paperback)
This is a book that has already been written by Jane Green and given another name. I was going on holiday and bought two Jane Green books I had never read, according to the titles, so you can imagine my dissapointment when after reading the first paragraph I said i've read this book already its just been called somthing different.
Promises to keep and Dune Road are both rewrites of books she has written in the past - what a rip off!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bring Back the Jane Green of Old!!, 27 July 2009
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Girl Friday (Hardcover)
Where has she gone? The Jane Green who had us enthralled with her earlier novels, has dissappeared. I felt a little cheated and let down after the 'Beach House', as it was weak and implausable. But I had high hopes for this one being a return to form .............. sadly now dashed. If anything, 'Girl Friday' is worset than the 'Beach House' in my opinion.

If you look back over the themes of Jane Green's novels, it seems she has drawn inspiration from the path of her life, and this has worked well for her in the past. 'Girl Friday', is set in suburban New England (like 'The Beach House') where Jane herself now lives. Other than that, I think Jane is flailing for material. 'Girl Friday' is incoherent on many levels - plot is weak and confusing, characters are shallow and unrealistic, and her style has taken a very 'Mills and Boon' turn for the worst. Quote from p.186/7 - "Robert closes his eyes, every nerve on fire. He has forgotten it could be like this,and he picks her up,and carries her to the sofa, all thoughts forgotten, aware of nothing other than the woman in his arms." Hmmmn. I smell cheese.

I was confused by this book - and the blurb was misleading. Was this a book about observing Suburban American life? (A Desperate Houswives Lite)! Or was this a social commentary about the credit crunch and the fall of corporate America? Or was this an insight into the life of a divorced woman (as the blurb had me innitially believe)? Or was this a dark look into the secrets of families and relationships? For me - none of these things sadly. It could have been any of them, handled well and developed properly. Instead, its a nothing book. Just a mish mash of ideas and themes, none of which were explored or explained very well at all.

I fear Jane Greene has lost her way and is either under pressure from her publisher to churn out a book each year in time for the summer market, or worse still, has sold out and is now being ghost written. Either way, I hope that the Jane Green of old finds her way back to us next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, not her best, 12 Jun 2010
This review is from: Girl Friday (Paperback)
I love Jane Green, I especially like her early stuff like Jemima J. I just finished reading Girl Friday and I was left feeling a bit let down. I thought the ending was rushed (for example, we don't really find out what happens to Jed), and while I like the storyline I think Jane Green made Kit into a bit of a saint about how she was badly treated by so many people. It was a bit dull, and there was so many chances for Jane to make it exciting and explore things a bit more.

I wish Jane Green would write books like she used to rather than ones set in America where she lives about middle aged women who are all former banker wives etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars DULL DULL DULL, 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: Girl Friday (Hardcover)
Dull is the only way to describe this book. I usually love Jane Green and was looking forward to reading her latest. I read the synopsis and was eager to read on.
The book was about newly divorced Kit and her friends. The characters were there to be further developed and the plots were good but didnt reach their potential.
The rich author with the beautiful wife who disappeared
The battered wife forced to suduce the author for his money only to fall in love with him
The long lost sister trying to steal her sisters life
The villan wooing the divorcee to get close to the author

All great storylines but just didnt go anywhere.
One to avoid

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't finish, 4 Jun 2010
V. Knight "Vicky" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Friday (Paperback)
Ok the title of this review sounds bad, but it really is that bad.

Jane Green is probably a really good writter, well she did get published, but her writting style keeps changing. I'm not sure whether she's third person narrating or not half the time.

I also think the back cover is wrong. It only mentions Kit and Tracy, giving the reader the impression that its a book about the friendship of these two women, but then the narration also follows two other main characters, and many more extra characters. It can sometimes get quite confussing.

I just couldnt get into the story. It was very slow and I just gave up on it. Other readers may enjoy it but I think I'll leave Jane Green to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 18 Nov 2009
Sophie Davis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Friday (Hardcover)
I love Jane Green and am always excited to buy her book each year. However, along with the majority of reviewers I was quite disappointed with this book.
The blurb seemed quite misleading and Tracy who is spoken about doesn't feature as heavily in the book as you would have thought. Her problems doesn't have the impact on everyone you would expect.
It is quite hard to review what is wrong with this book without giving away the plot. The last 50 pages seemed to be written really hastily, like Jane Green couldn't be bothered with it anymore. Everything seemed to be building to some sort of big confrontation or a big dramatic scene that just never really came. Characters seemed to have no point to them, I really didn't understand the need for Annabel in anyway. Motivations didn't make sense fo characters. And there was so so much repeating of certain things, like how Kit now loved her space and how Robert had enjoyed writing his book and that it was cathartic. I swear that was written about 5 times!
To be fair to the book though, at the time of reading it I couldn't put it down, like with all her other books. I always had to keep reading onto the next chapter, until the end when I got quite fed up at the rubbish ending I'd been given and it suddenly ended so abruptly.
Anyway, a good holiday read, but for Jane Green fans, it is not up to her normal standard, don't expect much!

1.0 out of 5 stars Jane Green should be ashamed of herself, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Girl Friday (Paperback)
This is the worst book I have read in a very long time. I only bought it because it was on special offer in Waterstones and I regret falling fall for the sales pitch! I read one or two of Jane Green's early books and they were OK. I am a fan of chick lit and thought I knew what to expect from this - easy reading escapism. But this was over explained, silly and NOTHING DRAMATIC HAPPENS! Why is Kit so bothered by her long lost sister taking her bank statements - big WOW! Couldn't Jane have gone on to actually have her commit a fraud and do something exiting? And the plot twist regarding the boyfriend was so obvious and then given away in a two page "by the way" explanation rather than during the course of any action in the plot. At one point Jane talks about the character who is an author in the story churning out formulaic books rather than writing real stories from his heart - I wonder where Jane got that idea from ??

Anyone considering buying this book - I urge you to read anything by Lisa Jewell, Freya North or Maggie O'Farrell instead. Marian Keyes worst novel is 1000 times better than this!!!

Girl Friday