5.0 out of 5 stars I love to read this kind of tripe
It doesn't matter where in the world you are from you will like this if you REALLY want to learn all about us: from the outsider's point of view.
Published on 29 Mar 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars The author has a chip on his shoulder...
This is book written by a person who clearly feels he's an outsider, and always will be. It is full of outdated bizzare observations which belong in 1950's Britain. Many of his observations are factually wrong. He keps comparing "England"(not Britain) to the continent - why?

It seems to me that the author is referring to a very narrow, almost invisible strand...
Published on 22 Jun 2010 by Gareth Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars I love to read this kind of tripe, 29 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This book deals beautifully with our penchant for queuing and talking about the weather. It includes such phrases as "a bit blowy" meaning there's a howling gale raging outside. There's also the story of the ageing siblings who get together after 10 years of separation: their conversation is probably too accurately described: it's awful really but there you are, that's us for you.
This book reminds me a lot of the Henry Root letters in many ways and if it were ever revealed that Henry root and George Mikes were one and the same person, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.
So, if you're into reading all about who we are and what we are, this book is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruthless insight fed with a spoonfool of sugar, 21 Jun 2000
By A Customer
I am a Hungarian - just like Mikes was until he moved to England in his 20s. I first read his books on the Brits a year after I moved to Britain (this was 4 years ago). I was absolutely stunned to see my very thoughts and views about Britain put on paper by somebody who could have been my grandfather! The things he wrote are still very true and relevant - enjoy his style but don't make the mistake of not taking him seriously just because you found his book in the "humour" section. You will have a very excellent, true and intimate view of the Brits - the kind only people who came to live here can provide. A must for everybody starting a life in England!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all tourists in Britain, 11 Sep 2011
This book was recommended to me by some German friends. I don't know how I managed to live for some years in England without it.

It is very ambitious in scope. In fact this edition is excellent value because it combines several smaller books.

When I say it is ambitious, I mean it doesn't just tell you how to adopt English mannerisms. It even tells you how to build an English town. George Mikes believed that English towns were devised according to a devious set of rules in order to confuse foreigners. He has managed to obtain these rules and has published them so that other nations can build a little piece of England everywhere.

One particular rule is very cunning and I think the Ministry has been very strict in adhering to it throughout the country, but particularly in Devon, where I live:

"Street names should be painted clearly and distinctly on large boards. Then hide these boards carefully."

There are many more nuggets of gold like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 Mar 2013
Still laughing. This is a fun book even though some of the language is old fashioned Georges has observed the Brits very keenly. Just one warning it includes all that is written in his earlier work "How to be an Alien" - so you don't need to buy both books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone with that sense of humour could be a Brit !, 7 April 2010
Mora Davide (Sestri Levante, GE Italy) - See all my reviews
Better than a book, this is a sort of manual where everyone can find subjects and manners not so much for imitation, as for recognizing himself as one of the good stock; or at least to identify his Brit inner component if it exists, and drive it to emerge. Specially if he is a foreigner. The explication is that this peculiar attitude descripted or suggested in this work is inimitable: You must be born there, or nothing !
Hours of fun and pleasant surprises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, George, 11 Aug 2010
I first read this book about thirty years ago. I guess it was pretty well dated even then, what with the social revolution of the sixties having intervened. Nevertheless, I still found it hugely entertaining and provocative. I realized early on that it was not meant to be a cosy exploration of how quaint and eccentric we Brits can be. There was a compelling edge that I generally find lacking from the works of more recent commentators. I felt that, instead of sucking up to me with fawning platitudes, Mikes was looking me squarely in the eye and telling it how he found it. In short, I felt I was being treated as a grown-up who was big enough to handle any negative criticism. Thank you Mr Mikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 May 2014
This is a great little book to tuck away in your bag or suitcase when traveling. It was recommended to me by a Hungarian friend.
George Mikes' observations on the British way of life is quite extraordinary considering he was born and brought up in an Eastern European country. His writings are full of anecdotes of the British mannerisms. I would highly recommend this little gem to anyone considering a visit to our shores for the first time, some of the observations appear a bit dated as this book was primarily written many years ago but that shouldn't detract from the quality of the read.......highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 April 2013
This review is from: How to be a Brit: How to be an Alien, How to be Inimitable, How to be Decadent (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant read and enjoyed this book many years ago. Brilliant read and enjoyed this book many years ago. Brilliant read and enjoyed this book many years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 10 Dec 2012
AWH (Singapore) - See all my reviews
George Mikes is about "many a true word said in jest". He sees the world through an innocent newcomer's eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy From Start to Finish, 1 July 2004
Simon May (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
One of my all time favourites ! This is such a fabulous book in so many respects. It is funny from begining to end. It is extremely perceptive - both for it's time, and for now. It is well written, and it is also written with evident affection.
Along with "Puckoon", and "1066 and All That", this is one which I will re-read with pleasure for many years to come.